Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,889 members, 7,824,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Are We Really Gods? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Really Gods? (1998 Views)

Do we really know who the Supreme God is?? / Do We Really Want To Go Back To The Old Ways? / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Really Gods? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:44am On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

God is worshiped, are you God?
When God said "Let us make man in OUR OWN image" {Genesis 1:26} God was actually talking to His son who was working beside Him during creation {Proverbs 8:22-30} that's why apostle John could say "the word (who worked with God during creation) WAS God" {John 1:1-2, 14} the ability to CREATE things that are moving like automobiles, flying like planes and diving in see like submarines is evidence that we are gods unlike other creatures that can't do anything other food mating and sleeping.
But there is a clause no matter the gift in us we must not think of setting up standards for our fellow humans, that is the symbolic tree in the middle of the garden! Genesis 2:17 smiley

1 Like

Re: Are We Really Gods? by Bubu4Sea: 12:34pm On Aug 24, 2022
tctrills:

Is Jesus Christ God?
Revelation 3:21
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Isaiah 9:6
King James Version

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by tctrills: 1:19pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

King James Version

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder:
and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Good so you know he is God and we are co-heir with Christ. What does that make us
Re: Are We Really Gods? by tctrills: 1:24pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

King James Version

Since man has the potential to be God, what does that make man? A baby has the potential to become a man. Just the very same thing
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Bubu4Sea: 1:31pm On Aug 24, 2022
tctrills:
Since man has the potential to be God, what does that make man? A baby has the potential to become a man. Just the very same thing
man can never be God.

Jesus predates the world,He is God who became man

1 Like

Re: Are We Really Gods? by tctrills: 1:36pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

man can never be God.

Co heir with Christ. That is simple enough to understand. Those that overcome will sit on his throne. The same bible reminded you to be holy like your Father in heaven

1 Like

Re: Are We Really Gods? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:38pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

man can never be God.
Jesus WAS God only because he was an agent of CREATION just as we are also agents of creation but when it comes to the one and only true God {John 17:3} neither Jesus nor anyone else is God apart from the Almighty {John 20:17} who alone have the right to set standards for us all even Jesus can't set a single rule because he is also subjected to the true God! John 8:28-29 smiley
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Bubu4Sea: 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2022
Jesus is the God the Jews worshipped but didn't recognize Him.

He is the Lord of the Sabbath, which means its Him the Jews worshiped

Mark 2:28
Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

MaxInDHouse:

Jesus WAS God only because he was an agent of CREATION just as we are also agents of creation but when it comes to the one and only true God {John 17:3} neither Jesus nor anyone else is God apart from the Almighty {John 20:17} who alone have the right to set standards for us all even Jesus can't set a single rule because he is also subjected to the true God! John 8:28-29 smiley
Jesus IS God

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

tctrills:

Co heir with Christ. That is simple enough to understand. Those that overcome will sit on his throne. The same bible reminded you to be holy like your Father in heaven

Jesus created everything, He did not inherit.
He is the Owner!

Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible,
whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

2 Likes

Re: Are We Really Gods? by tctrills: 3:44pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

Jesus IS God

He is the Owner!

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible,
whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Romans 8
16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
[17] And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
What is it that we inherit? The Godly nature
Re: Are We Really Gods? by knowingChrist(m): 4:00pm On Aug 24, 2022
This is profound, comments like this assures me that it was worth it to post this here.

There's so many deceived people on the thread who interpret the word of God with their logic and it's said to watch

They refuse correction. Yet I write this bc of the deception of major preachers but the heart of this people is so dirty that truth cannot dwell in them.

Thanks you for this. You might check my other works, you might find them interesting. You can also check me on Twitter where I'm more active houseofwind1

Bubu4Sea:

Jesus IS God

He is the Owner!

Re: Are We Really Gods? by knowingChrist(m): 4:05pm On Aug 24, 2022
We don't have that glorified body yet. Don't rush too much and miss the mark and therefore not get the glorified body. Many Christians pastors have missed the mark and cannot inherit the glorified body nor the earth

What we're is the son of God not God or god

God is the source while god is for the disobedient and the sons of disobedience. Were neither God not god we're the sons of God which means, a kind of entity that do the will of God. This is why were a new kind.

tctrills:

Romans 8
16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
[17] And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
What is it that we inherit? The Godly nature
Re: Are We Really Gods? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:07pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

Jesus IS God

He is the Owner!

Please explain John 20:17 wink

2 Likes

Re: Are We Really Gods? by tctrills: 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2022
knowingChrist:
We don't have that glorified body yet. Don't rush too much and miss the mark and therefore not get the glorified body. Many Christians pastors have missed the mark and cannot inherit the glorified body nor the earth

God is the source while god is for the disobedient and the sons of disobedience. Were neither God not god we're the sons of God which means, a kind of entity that do the will of God. This is why were a new kind.

When Christ was on earth did he have a glorified body? Christ is also the son of God and like Christ, we are God's.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Aug 24, 2022
Bubu4Sea:

These statements about the jews is wrong! undecided

In John 14 vs 6, Jesus Christ said He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. The Jews had a (a Way)Law which only offered them only Life on the condition of righteousness- Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20 . So how can Life alone be considered Jesus Christ who instead insists He is not just the Way(Law) but both of Truth and Life? undecided

Jesus Christ is the Lord because He came to give His followers Rest - Matthew 11 vs 28 - 30 - not just one day day the week, but every moment of their lives lived according to His Truth is to be spent doing Holy work. This as opposed to the Old Covenant way which had people working for perishable food every other day except on the Sabbath alone when they were required by God to do only Holy work. undecided
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Janosky: 12:01am On Aug 25, 2022
knowingChrist:

Oga, pls delete Deuteronomy 10:17 "Jehovah is the God of gods" (Aramaic Bible) from your Bible.

In fact, half knowledge is more dangerous than ignorance.

Deuteronomy 10:17 has exposed your FALSE claims on this forum.
grin
Re: Are We Really Gods? by nencounter10: 1:31am On Aug 25, 2022
[quote author=Steep post=115970408] in John 10 vv 34, Jesus said they were called called "gods" the Greek word was theous not theou.
In Greek, a noun has up to nine or more different cases with each case having slightly different spelling but all referring to the same noun. Consider an example below.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The first word that was translated God in the above verse is the Greek word Theon while the other is Theos. They are two different cases of the Theos which refers to God.

However, what Jesus was saying was that, if people who recieved those words were called gods, then he could be called God in a much greater way. Jesus was saying he is more qualified to be called God than those people. It does not mean they were really God.
Why would God call them Gods if they are not Gods. What exactly do you take God for? A joker? A liar? A deceiver? God called them exactly what they were-Gods. The succeeding verse to PS 82:6 corroborate it.

KJV
Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 82:7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

NIV
Psalm 82:7
[7]But you will die like mere mortals;
    you will fall like every other ruler.”

Good news
[7]But you will die like mortals;     your life will end like that of any prince.”

NLT
Psalms 82:7
[7]But you will die like mere mortals
    and fall like every other ruler.’”

Clearly, God did not believe they were mere mortals.

Iet us see, what it means for men to be called elohim in the old testament.
The first man to be called Elohim was Moses
In exodus 7 vv 1.

Exodus 7:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

The literally interpretation of "a god" is elohim which was used in Psalm 82.

However what does it mean?

Exodus 4:16 And he shall be thy spokesman unto the people: and he shall be, even he shall be to thee instead of a mouth, and thou shalt be to him instead of God.

This explains perfectly what it means for men to be called God. It means one who represent God.
One of the problem that people who are not native speakers face when they read a translation is that they often miss the intent. In the scripture you quoted God was not calling Moses Elohim. Consulting other translations will help you understand the intent.

Amplified
Exodus 7:1
[1]THE Lord said to Moses, Behold, I make you as God to Pharaoh [to declare My will and purpose to him]; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.

NIV
Genesis 7:1
[1]Then the Lord said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet.

Good news
[1]The Lord said, “I am going to make you like God to the king, and your brother Aaron will speak to him as your prophet.

NLT
[1]Then the lord said to Moses, “Pay close attention to this. I will make you seem like God to Pharaoh, and your brother, Aaron, will be your prophet.

Clearly God was saying Moses will be like God to pharoah.

calling men gods, does not make them God.
True, but if God calls you God, then you are God. Whatever God says is, is.

yeap the logic is flawed.
Jesus was not claiming he is a god like them but rather he is a God more than them, note the difference.

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

The Jews accusation against Jesus is that it was wrong for a man to declare himself God. Jesus pointed out to them that God himself had declared some men God in the scripture.So, how can he, who was sanctified and sent by God not have a right to declare himself God.

please bring a an example of where a distinction was made.

Acts 17:18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

The word translated gods in the above verse is the word daimonion which mean a heathen deity. The first letter of that word was rendered in small letter in the original text.

The problem with English translators is that anytime the word Theo was not used in reference to Jehovah God, the render it as "a god" or "gods" to show a distinction. This gives English readers the impression that the word in that context refers to a lower God. That is not the intent. That is why Theo is always capitalized in the original text. You may consider other Gods lower to your God, but the worshippers of those Gods do not think so.

, it is also used for those representing God, such as the judges.
Give a scriptural reference that shows this.

can you point out where in the scripture they receive the exact nature of God, hope you know there is a difference between "the nature of God" and the " the full nature of God"? Or " the image of God" and "the exact image of God"?

KJV
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Amplified
1 John 3:9
[9]No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, for God's nature abides in him [His principle of life, the divine sperm, remains permanently within him]; and he cannot practice sinning because he is born (begotten) of God.

Good news
[9]None of those who are children of God continue to sin, for God's very nature is in them; and because God is their Father, they cannot continue to sin.

All human beings are spirits in human body, does that mean all human beings are born of God? To be born of God does not mean you become a spirit, It means the spirit of man to be regenerated to the image of God.
However, it does not mean to become God.
Man is wholly, completely and entirely a spirit. He has a soul and lives in a body. His soul consist of a will, a mind and an emotion. He is neither a body nor a soul, but a spirit. Just like God is a spirit, man is a spirit. So when God is referring to man, he is, more often than not, reffering specifically to the spirit- the real man.

2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us what happens when a man gives his life to Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Note that the word man here refers to the spirit.

The word translated " new" in the above verse is the Greek word "kaino" which means a new specie that never existed before. So, when a man gives his life to Christ a new specie of spirit is created by God or, more correctly put, born by God.

Rom 6:6 tells us what happened to the old spirit which the Bible calls an man.

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

The old spirit is crucified or killed or destroyed or gotten rid of. The person that says the sinner's prayer accepting Jesus as his lord and savior and the person who emerges from that prayer are two different persons.

Everyone that is fathered by God is God.

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

The Jews realised natively that anyone who is fathered by God is God, yet the children of this generation can't realise that. One doesn't have to be a genius to realise that children are the kind of their father.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Steep(m): 7:12am On Aug 25, 2022
[quote author=nencounter10 post=116033812][/quote]

In Greek, a noun has up to nine or more different cases with each case having slightly different spelling but all referring to the same noun. Consider an example below.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The first word that was translated God in the above verse is the Greek word Theon while the other is Theos. They are two different cases of the Theos which refers to God.
Do you know they all have functions? And that their functions depends on how they are used.

In acts 7 vv 40, the word theous was used to describe the idol Israel commanded Aaron to make, same word that was used in John 10:34,35.

[center]εἰπόντες
40 having said
40 V-APA-NMP
3588 [e]

τῷ
-
Art-DMS
2 [e]
Aarōn
Ἀαρών ,
to Aaron
N-DMS
4160 [e]
Poiēson
Ποίησον
Make
V-AMA-2S
1473 [e]
hēmin
ἡμῖν
us
PPro-D1P
2316 [e]
theous
θεοὺς
gods

N-AMP
3739 [e]
hoi
οἳ
who
RelPro-NMP
4313 [e]
proporeusontai
προπορεύσονται
will go before
V-FIM-3P
1473 [e]
hēmōn
ἡμῶν .
us
PPro-G1P
3588 [e]
ho
ὁ[/center]

Words have function and their meaning depends on a lot of factors which also include the intention of the writer, especially Greek word.
The use of theos or theon does not mean it should be interpreted as "God" same thing with elohim

Satan is also called the God of this world.

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

The word "god" there is "theon" so does that mean Satan is God? Certainly not.

Why would God call them Gods if they are not Gods. What exactly do you take God for? A joker? A liar? A deceiver? God called them exactly what they were-Gods. The succeeding verse to PS 82:6 corroborate it.

KJV
Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 82:7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

NIV

Good news
[7]But you will die like mortals; your life will end like that of any prince.”

NLT

When Jesus called the pharisees serpents and vipers does that mean they were really serpents and vipers?

Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

KJV

NIV

Good news
[7]But you will die like mortals; your life will end like that of any prince.”

NLT

when Jesus called the pharisees serpents and vipers does it mean they were really serpents and vipers?
Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

One of the problem that people who are not native speakers face when they read a translation is that they often miss the intent. In the scripture you quoted God was not calling Moses Elohim. Consulting other translations will help you understand the intent.

Amplified
[1]THE Lord said to Moses, Behold, I make you as God to Pharaoh [to declare My will and purpose to him]; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.

NIV
Genesis 7:1
[1]Then the Lord said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet.

Good news
[1]The Lord said, “I am going to make you like God to the king, and your brother Aaron will speak to him as your prophet.

NLT
[1]Then the lord said to Moses, “Pay close attention to this. I will make you seem like God to Pharaoh, and your brother, Aaron, will be your prophet.

Clearly God was saying Moses will be like God to pharoah.

now you are talking of intent but missed it all along for Psalm 82.
Let me tell you, Exodus 7 vv1 does not have "like God" or "as God" in it what it has is "God" "elohim". Using your logic of palm 82 then Moses was made God.

And Yähwè יָהוֶה 3068 said 559 z8799 unto x413 Möšè מֹשֶׁה, 4872 See, 7200 z8798 I have made 5414 z8804 thee an ´élöhîm אֱלֹהִים 430 to Par`ò פַּרעֹה: 6547 and ´Ahárön אַהֲרֹן 175 thy brother 251 shall be x1961 thy prophet.

True, but if God calls you God, then you are God. Whatever God says is, is.
So when God called Moses elohim then Moses must be elohim. When Jesus called the pahrisee serpents they must be serpents, right?

KJV
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Amplified
[9]No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, for God's nature abides in him [His principle of life, the divine sperm, remains permanently within him]; and he cannot practice sinning because he is born (begotten) of God.

Good news
[9]None of those who are children of God continue to sin, for God's very nature is in them; and because God is their Father, they cannot continue to sin.

All human beings are spirits in human body, does that mean all human beings are born of God? To be born of God does not mean you become a spirit, It means the spirit of man to be regenerated to the image of God.
However, it does not mean to become God.
Man is wholly, completely and entirely a spirit. He has a soul and lives in a body. His soul consist of a will, a mind and an emotion. He is neither a body nor a soul, but a spirit. Just like God is a spirit, man is a spirit. So when God is referring to man, he is, more often than not, reffering specifically to the spirit- the real man.

2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us what happens when a man gives his life to Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Note that the word man here refers to the spirit.

The word translated " new" in the above verse is the Greek word "kaino" which means a new specie that never existed before. So, when a man gives his life to Christ a new specie of spirit is created by God or, more correctly put, born by God.

Rom 6:6 tells us what happened to the old spirit which the Bible calls an man.

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

The old spirit is crucified or killed or destroyed or gotten rid of. The person that says the sinner's prayer accepting Jesus as his lord and savior and the person who emerges from that prayer are two different persons.

Everyone that is fathered by God is God.

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

The Jews realised natively that anyone who is fathered by God is God, yet the children of this generation can't realise that. One doesn't have to be a genius to realise that children are the kind of their father.

God's seed is his word,

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

We can see that the seed of God in a born again is a person, which is the word of God dwells through his Spirit.
It does not mean those born of God are now God.

The bible is clear that the old man that was crucified is the flesh not spirit.
I don't know where you get your theology from, it is so wrong.

There is no where in the Bible that says man is a spirit. Man composed of soul, spirit and body.
Man having spirit doesn't make them God, also angels are spirits does that make them God? No.
Even while God is Spirit does not mean spirits are God.

1 Like

Re: Are We Really Gods? by Janosky: 12:33pm On Aug 25, 2022
@ John 1:1,ho Theos the God is Almighty, the God of God's, His Sons. Deuteronomy 10:17 & Psalms 82:1,6.
The Word ,(Jesus His son) was a god just as other sons of Psalms 82:6 are a god (singular) or gods (collectively).

@ John 10:33, the Word, Jesus Christ was referenced as a god.
But because of bias, Trinitarians inserted Capital letter G, when they already knew that the same theou is small letter "g" at 1 Corinthians 8:5,
Acts 28:6, John 10:33 & Acts7:40.

@ Greek John 4:24, John 14:1,Acts 3:13 & John 1:1, is ho Theos Jesus Christ?
NEVER !!!!!!!!

Like Greek John 1:1, like Greek Acts 12:22-23.
2 different Greek words used for 'God' to reference 2 different persons, that is the Greek scriptural standard/precedent.
Only the Almighty Father is known as the God (ho Theos), any other being is a god (meaning like God, godlike, divine).

Iykyk.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by nencounter10: 11:36am On Aug 26, 2022
[quote author=Steep post=116036857]

Do you know they all have functions? And that their functions depends on how they are used.

In acts 7 vv 40, the word theous was used to describe the idol Israel commanded Aaron to make, same word that was used in John 10:34,35.

[center]εἰπόντες
40 having said
40 V-APA-NMP
3588 [e]

τῷ
-
Art-DMS
2 [e]
Aarōn
Ἀαρών ,
to Aaron
N-DMS
4160 [e]
Poiēson
Ποίησον
Make
V-AMA-2S
1473 [e]
hēmin
ἡμῖν
us
PPro-D1P
2316 [e]
theous
θεοὺς
gods

N-AMP
3739 [e]
hoi
οἳ
who
RelPro-NMP
4313 [e]
proporeusontai
προπορεύσονται
will go before
V-FIM-3P
1473 [e]
hēmōn
ἡμῶν .
us
PPro-G1P
3588 [e]
ho
ὁ[/center]

Words have function and their meaning depends on a lot of factors which also include the intention of the writer, especially Greek word.
The use of theos or theon does not mean it should be interpreted as "God" same thing with elohim

Satan is also called the God of this world.

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

The word "god" there is "theon" so does that mean Satan is God? Certainly not.
What is going on here? Can you please tell me exactly what is going on here? Are you just out to win an argument with me and no more? If all you are doing is to just to win an argument with me, then you are wasting your time. I am here to enlighten you with the word of God and help Christians who are following this thread to realize from the word of God that they are Gods. You cannot win someone who is not in a contest with you.

Where in my previous post did I say that Theos is used exclusively for Jehovah God ?

I said the following in my last post:

The problem with English translators is that anytime the word Theo was not used in reference to Jehovah God, the render it as "a god" or "gods" to show a distinction. This gives English readers the impression that the word in that context refers to a lower God. That is not the intent. That is why Theo is always capitalized in the original text. You may consider other Gods lower to your God, but the worshippers of those Gods do not think so.

Does the above suggest that I believe that Theos is always used in reference to Jehovah God?

It appears to me that you are just running around trying to win an argument. My counsel to you is this: stop trying to win an argument. Whatever I say follow it up with your spirit and not with your brain. Study the quoted relevant scriptures. If they make scriptural sense to you, accept them. Don't close your spirit to the truth because you want to win an argument.

You are the one who is trying to obfuscate things by arguing all over the place. Originally I made mention of Theo and Elohim to explain that the translators erred when the translators translated Theo as gods in John 10:34 and Elohim as gods in Psalm 82:6. My point is that in the original text the word Theo was capitalized , so it is misleading to translate it as gods instead of Gods. I also said the word translated in Psalm 82:6 is Elohim and that it is the exact same word that was translated God in Genesis 1:1 and that so it was wrong to translate it as gods instead of Gods in Psalm 82:6. You replied by trying to correct me. You said the Greek does not make a distinction between God and gods. I said no. You said I should bring scriptural proof. Which I did. Also you tried to correct on my mention of Elohim that Elohim is not used for God alone that it is used for jugdges and one other thing that I don't remember now. I said no, and challenged you to bring scriptural proof . The implication of me saying those words should have been capitalized in their translation in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34 is that I believe that a child of God is as much God as the Father and the Son. He is not a lower God. No where did I suggest that Theo is not used in reference to other deities. It was you who came from the blues and said the word translated gods blessings in John 10: 34 is theoi and not theous. I never really understood your intention nor the relevance of that revelation to the discussion. I thought the difference in spelling was getting you confused, so I thought to help you understand the cases of noun in Greek. The word God does not necessarily refer to Jehovah God. It simply means deity or a divine being or object of worship. The Father is a Deity, Jesus is a Deity, the holy Spirit is a Deity, the children of God are Deities. There are other Deities out there. I may not believe in them, but to their worshippers, they are. Theos refer to Deity, whether those that Christians worship or not. In fact ancient Greece have a lot of Deities that the worshippers do not consider lower Deities. What I pointed out to you is that if Greeks wanted to point out that a god was a lower deity, they can. Thous refer to deities. It is always capitalized. Greek is not a Christian language. It is a people's language. That Christians believe other people's gods are not gods or are lower gods is non of their business.

Quit making mention of thous and elohim. I was the one who mentioned them first. The purpose for mentioning them was not to prove that I child of God is God, but to state that a child of God is not a lower God. The discussion here is on whether a child of God is God or not. Please stay on the topic. You do not, as at yet, believe that a child of God is god. So, you have no business discussion with me on whether a child of a God is not a lower God when compared with Jehovah God or not. My focus here has been God and his children and not other gods and I can effortlessly prove that a child of God is God without making reference to theo and Elohim. The use of the word God and gods, as used in the difference English translations, is sufficient enough for me to make my point. You can mention Theo or Elohim if you feel it will help you prove your point. If you must, do it with originality. Do not relate it to what I said about them at the initial because I can clearly see that you have misunderstood my intentions and are obfuscating things.

From your response, I suspect that you have forgotten what case means in Grammer. Please read up on cases of nouns and pronouns for English language. It will help you understand the reference I made to them with respect to Greek.

When Jesus called the pharisees serpents and vipers does that mean they were really serpents and vipers?

when Jesus called the pharisees serpents and vipers does it mean they were really serpents and vipers?

Please show some intelligence. How can you you compare apples to oranges. What Jesus was saying there is clear to all and sundry. it is not something open to interpretation or debate. Psalm 82:6 is not clear to all and sundry and as such open to interpretation and debate. I have showed you several scriptures from several translations to help you understand it. Study them.

now you are talking of intent but missed it all along for Psalm 82.
Let me tell you, Exodus 7 vv1 does not have "like God" or "as God" in it what it has is "God" "elohim". Using your logic of palm 82 then Moses was made God.

And Yähwè יָהוֶה 3068 said 559 z8799 unto x413 Möšè מֹשֶׁה, 4872 See, 7200 z8798 I have made 5414 z8804 thee an ´élöhîm אֱלֹהִים 430 to Par`ò פַּרעֹה: 6547 and ´Ahárön אַהֲרֹן 175 thy brother 251 shall be x1961 thy prophet.

So when God called Moses elohim then Moses must be elohim. When Jesus called the pahrisee serpents they must be serpents, right?
In Psalm 82:6, all translations that I know of render it as "are God". Not " Like God" or anything as such. So, the intent is clear. If you are a student of the Bible, you will believe them. They have better knowledge of the Hebrew language than you.

In Exodus 7:1 , even KJV, which I consider the least accurate, render it as "a god" meaning, " I have made you pharoah's god." From the other translations, the intent is clear.

Of course, I know that there is no article before Elohim in the original text. Unless you are a native speaker, you should also consult multiple translations. That's how to study and understand the Bible.

Let me tell you one or two things about Bible translations. There are two types of Bible translations: the word-for-word Bible translations and the thought-for-thought Bible translations.

In the word-for-word Bible translations, an attempt is made to translate the Bible one word after another, that is word by word. Also, in this Bible translation, the word order is preserved as much as possible. The disadvantage with this is that if the speaker has used any literary device like idioms, figure of speech, and so on, the reader of the translation can end up being misinformed.

In thought-for-thought translation, no effort is made to translate the Bible word-for-word, word by word or one word after the other. Also, no effort is made to maintain the word order. The translator reads the sentence and figures out exactly what message the speaker is trying to convey. They consider, the meaning of idioms, figure of speech or any other literary device used in the sentence, then they decide the best way to convey the message in the new language, say for instance, English. They figure out the intended message of the speaker and convey it. That is what I mean by intent. King James, NIV and amplified Bible are example of word-for-word translations. The best word-for-word translation out there is the amplified Bible. Good news, living Bible and New living translation(NLT) are examples of thought-for-thought translations. The modern trend now is migration from word-for-word translations to thought-for-thought translations because many have found them to be more accurate. Because the focus is not translation of words, they capture the meanings of idioms, figure of speech and other literary devices well. By just going through the original text on your own, you will not be able to tell whether an idiom or figure of speech or any other literary device has been used unless you are a native speaker. That is why it is good to also consult multiple translations.

God's seed is his word,

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

We can see that the seed of God in a born again is a person, which is the word of God dwells through his Spirit.
It does not mean those born of God are now God.

Amplified
1 Peter 1:23
[23]You have been regenerated (born again), not from a mortal origin (seed, sperm), but from one that is immortal by the ever living and lasting Word of God.

The word translated seed in 1 Peter 1:23 is the word a spora which means reproductive seed which happens to be sperm for humans.

1 Peter 1:23 is using human reproduction to explain spiritual reproduction. It is saying, just as men reproduce children through their seed, even so God reproduces children through his seed. Men reproduce children through a mortal or perishable seed, but God reproduces his own offspring through immortal or inperishable seed. Man's reproductive seed is his sperm . God's reproductive seed is his word. In order words, God reproduces children through his word, his word is his sperm.

The word translated seed in 1 John 3:9 is the word sperma from which we have our English word sperm.

Amplified

1 John 3:9 is talking about nature. It telling us that God transmit his nature to his children by heredity through his sperm. This is made obvious by the fact that it says the most important reason he cannot sin is because he is born of God.

The bible is clear that the old man that was crucified is the flesh not spirit.
I don't know where you get your theology from, it is so wrong.

I am not going to waste my time responding to this: check other translations.You are trying to start another argument.

There is no where in the Bible that says man is a spirit. Man composed of soul, spirit and body.
Man having spirit doesn't make them God, also angels are spirits does that make them God? No.
Even while God is Spirit does not mean spirits are God.
I am shocked that there are Christians who do not know that man is a spirit. I am not going to waste my time responding to this. You are trying to start another argument.

Nowhere did I say spirits are Gods. You said spiritual birth is different from physical birth. I agreed with you and even showed you a scripture that support your assertion and tried to help you understand it. You started picking up another argument from it. I am not going to waste my time helping you to understand any new biblical concept again. The topic of discussion here is whether a child of God is God or not. I will advise you to stay on topic. You seem to be jumping here and there trying argue about anything I say even when it is unnecessary or unrelated.

2 Cor. 5:17 tells us that if a person is in Christ, he becomes a new specie of being that never existed before and thus has no past. It further tells us that old things pass away and that ALL things become new.
First, that there exist a new creation means there was an old creation. A new is a replacement for an old.
Second, we know from experience that when a person gets to be in Christ, no old thing passes away from his body, in fact everything remains old. We also know that no old thing passes away from his mind, everything remains old. The foregoing makes it clear to us that the man mention in 2 Cor 5:17 is the spirit. It is he who becomes a new creation. It is he who becomes a new specie that never existed before. It is in him that old things passes away. It is in him that ALL things become new.

1 John 1:12-13 tells us that anybody who receives Christ becomes born of God. The human body cannot become born of God at an old age neither can the human mind become born of God. That means it is the spirit that becomes born of God. Only the spirit experiences a new birth only the spirit becomes a child of God and that spirit has the life and nature of God.

I never said a spirit is God. I did say that anyone born of God is God. Meaning that only spirits that are born of God are Gods.

Remember, stay on topic. Stop running around trying to argue with me. Open your mind and learn. We are discussing whether a child of God is God or not.

By the way, I am surprised that after my last post you still have anything to say to me after I clearly explained things to you with relevant scriptures and from several translations. You have said absolutely nothing in this your last post. You were just splitting hairs.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Steep(m): 4:36pm On Aug 26, 2022
author=nencounter10 post=116076574]
call it argument or whatever, the fact is your heresy has being exposed.

Going by you, Catholics that worship Mary and saints are right.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by knowingChrist(m): 7:44pm On Aug 27, 2022
One thing is for sure, not everyone with divergent views is taught by the spirit of God. Some are speaking from their mind or following what someone else had told time. For the spirit of God cannot bare witness differently of the same thing.
Re: Are We Really Gods? by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Aug 27, 2022
knowingChrist:
One thing is for sure, not everyone with divergent views is taught by the spirit of God. Some are speaking from their mind or following what someone else had told time. For the spirit of God cannot bare witness differently of the same thing.
As Jesus Christ clearly explained in scripture to you, the Spirit of God also known as the Spirit of Truth, is the very same Spirit which lived and taught the Gospel from within His person. undecided
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. The only way to the Father is through me.
7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father too. But now you know the Father. You have seen him.” - John 14 vs 6 - 7
Jesus Christ, also promised His followers that the Spirit of Truth which He will ask the Father to give them will in no wise contradict Him in any way this since the Spirit will take from that which is Jesus Christ to teach to them all. undecided
25 “I have told you all these things while I am with you.
26 But the Helper will teach you everything and cause you to remember all that I told you. This Helper is the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name. - John 14 vs 25 - 26
He went on to further state that the Spirit of Truth is subject to Him, Jesus Christ, the Truth of God, in that the Spirit will only reveal that which is of Jesus Christ in order to bring glory to Jesus Christ alone, this by speaking that which of Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God which is ruled over by Him, Jesus Christ. undecided
8 “When the Helper comes, he will show the people of the world how wrong they are about sin, about being right with God, and about judgment.
9 He will prove that they are guilty of sin, because they don’t believe in me.
10 He will show them how wrong they are about how to be right with God. The Helper will do this, because I am going to the Father. You will not see me then.
11 And he will show them how wrong their judgment is, because their leader[a] has already been condemned.
12 “I have so much more to tell you, but it is too much for you to accept now.
13 But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into all truth. He will not speak his own words. He will speak only what he hears and will tell you what will happen in the future.
14 The Spirit of truth will bring glory to me by telling you what he receives from me.
15 All that the Father has is mine. That is why I said that the Spirit will tell you what he receives from me. - John 16 vs 8 - 15
So when you lot claim the Holy Spirit is responsible for all the lies you tell, lies which directly contradict the Truth of Jesus Christ Himself, what you do is you declare your stance against Jesus Christ and His Kingdom. undecided

1 Like

Re: Are We Really Gods? by nencounter10: 7:32am On Aug 28, 2022
Steep:

call it argument or whatever, the fact is your heresy has being exposed.

Going by you, Catholics that worship Mary and saints are right.

If your intention is to expose my so called heresy, please by all means go on.

But please do so coherently and intelligently.

Don't say I said what I did not say.

Don't say I said Theos refers exclusively to Jehovah God when I said no such thing.

Don't say that I said spirits are Gods when I said no such thing.

Stop using Theos and Elohim to prove that a child of God is not God when I never used them to prove that a child of God is God. I only used them to point out that the translators erred when they failed to capitalize gods as seen in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34.

Stop trying to start a new arguement with me on whether or not man is a spirit. Whether man is a spirit or not, does it change the fact that a child of God is born by God? I have maintained here that any one born of God is God. How does not being a spirit contradict that? If you want to debate on whether man is a spirit or not, create a new thread and mention me on that thread so that we can thrash it out.

Stop trying to start a new arguement with me that the old man is the flesh. Whether the old man is the flesh or not, does that change the fact that for there to be a new creation there must have been an old creation? Does that change the fact that if any man is in Christ he is a new creation- a replacement for an old creation? If you want to debate on whether the old man is the flesh or not, create a new thread and mention me on it to thrash out that topic.

Please keep up the good work of exposing my heresy. Don't stop now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Praying To God / The Fast Approaching End Time[middle East Crisis: Were Does It Lead To] / Why The Redeemed Church Needed A Jet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.