Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,681 members, 7,831,113 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. (6106 Views)

Poll: What is your ethnicity?

Ijaw: 2% (10 votes)
Yoruba: 37% (166 votes)
Igbo: 43% (191 votes)
Bini: 4% (20 votes)
Hausa: 2% (12 votes)
Ibibio/Eket: 2% (13 votes)
Annang: 0% (2 votes)
Efik: 0% (4 votes)
Fulani: 0% (2 votes)
Kanuri: 0% (2 votes)
Tiv: 0% (1 vote)
Igala/Idoma: 0% (4 votes)
Itsekiri: 0% (3 votes)
Urhobo: 1% (7 votes)
Isoko: 1% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Nairaland Month Of Birth (mob) census. Come And Rep Ur Month. / Nairaland 2012 Ethnic Census / Nairaland Census: Your State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by xterra2(m): 3:13pm On Aug 03, 2011
SO far the Igbos are winning followed by the Yorubas
So no Fulani here on NL they are rearing cattles abi cheesy cheesy cheesy
And onto me, my ethnic group is not here, i can speak hausa and am from the north so i chose hausaKind of similar
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Marchman: 3:13pm On Aug 03, 2011
We Ijaws are representing! The best ethic group in Naija!!!!
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by AndreUweh(m): 3:14pm On Aug 03, 2011
Bialegend:

I am still wondering why Oyo, Ekiti Parapo, Ijebu, Egba, Igbomina, Akoko and others in SW nigeria are not listed. For example, you don't expect an Egba man to be called a Yoruba or someone from Ijebu to click on Yoruba as his ethnic group. I know a girl from Ekiti that if you call her a yoruba girl, she will not mind breaking your head with anything around her.
Some confused Igbo do that as well. Few of them will like to say Igberre,Ikwerre, Nkwerre etc. But they are all Igbo. Ijebu, Oyo, Ekiti are all Yoruba.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Bialegend(m): 3:16pm On Aug 03, 2011
ahmedoo:

4rm d polls its obvious dis website aint popular in d north.
Ohh yes, and this website (http://kanoonline.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=0oo1dekcfo86mn0sbd8566gbp6&board=1.0)
which is supposed to be popular in the north, how many posts are being made there in a day? Check and know when were the majority of the last posts made.  You should better start campaigning for the western type of education for your people.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Reggie2(m): 3:19pm On Aug 03, 2011
While tongue bashing bigotry rages in NL, I am highly impressed at the increased rate of computer literacy in Nigeria generally and among Ndiigbo and Awon Yoruba in particular. Social network has worked to arrest the rate of societal decadence in northern Africa. I wish Nigerians can utilize this multimedia asset to make meaningful contributions towards a better Nigeria. If Obama could use it to effect a change in the USA, then YES WE CAN. Good luck to everyone in the house
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Sike(m): 3:43pm On Aug 03, 2011
nwabobo:

With numerous complaints by various people here about their ethnic group being left out, I think it would be proper to start a new poll based on[b] States of origin [/b] This should take care of everybody. Just my 2 kobo shocked shocked
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
someone mentioned that ikwerre and anioma groups were not listed, if na like that then onitsha,izaa,ekpeye,achi,owerri,ngwa,mabaise,issi,nsukka,oba,mbano,oguta,aba,abakiliki,agbor,ukwuani,etche,otueke,ogbaru,nri,nnewi, nnokwa,ndoni,oyigbo etc should also be listed oo no wayo for here oo .make we no start to dey fabricate ethnic groups from no where.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by UyiIredia(m): 4:00pm On Aug 03, 2011
how come Ijaw is at the top they are few. Kudos to the Igbos, it appears they are the more vocal lot amongst Nairalanders
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by nwabobo: 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2011
Yea, you lot saying there are not much Hausa/Fulani peeps here should remember that this is not an Al-qaeda or boko haram forum. Try conducting a poll on any of dem sites and you'll be amazed at how many of them are computer literate. my 2 kobo.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by tpia5: 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2011
Hausas typically prefer to keep a low profile in general.

Unless there's some trouble afoot.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by lagcity(m): 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2011
DRlulu:

someone mentioned that ikwerre and anioma groups were not listed, if na like that then onitsha,izaa,ekpeye,achi,owerri,ngwa,mabaise,issi,nsukka,oba,mbano,oguta,aba,abakiliki,agbor,ukwuani,etche,otueke,ogbaru,nri,nnewi, nnokwa,ndoni,oyigbo etc should also be listed oo no wayo for here oo .make we no start to dey fabricate ethnic groups from no where.

but mbaise ppl always claim igbo, not so with ikwere. stop pretending like you dont know what we are talking about
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by lagcity(m): 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2011
Bialegend:

I am still wondering why Oyo, Ekiti Parapo, Ijebu, Egba, Igbomina, Akoko and others in SW nigeria are not listed. For example, you don't expect an Egba man to be called a Yoruba or someone from Ijebu to click on Yoruba as his ethnic group. I know a girl from Ekiti that if you call her a yoruba girl, she will not mind breaking your head with anything around her.

small small with the lies my brother cheesy smiley smiley
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by aloyemeka2: 4:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
aieromon:

My ethnic group isn't listed.This is why i prefer to be a tagged a Nigerian!!!

What makes you think the Igbo/Yoruba thugs in Nigeria wants your voice to be heard?
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
aloy-emeka:

What makes you think the Igbo/Yoruba thugs in Nigeria wants your voice to be heard?

funny grin

efik-ibibio and anang should be lumped together also urobo and isoko should be lumped together that would have made room for other major groups like nupe and ogoni.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Carlmax(m): 4:53pm On Aug 03, 2011
Bassa, Estsako, Esan, Ogoni, Nupe, Ebira, Gwari, these tribes are all more than 1 million each. your poll is null and void.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by odumchi: 6:42pm On Aug 03, 2011
DRlulu:

All of those groups you listed are Igbo.

Carlmax:

Bassa, Estsako, Esan, Ogoni, Nupe, Ebira, Gwari, these tribes are all more than 1 million each. your poll is null and void.

I'm sorry man but people will always talk. If i include some, I will always forget the other, Nigeria is too large for me to reate a list with every single thnicity. But those groups speak Hausa to some extent so they can vote as "Hausas".
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by aljharem3: 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2011
good one op
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by odumchi: 8:52pm On Aug 03, 2011
For those of you with mixed background you can chose tto pick your father sor mothers die. In most of Igboland you can have a white mother but as long as your father is Igbo your ethnicity is Igbo.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by AndreUweh(m): 8:54pm On Aug 03, 2011
alj_harem:

good one op
@Alh Harem, is there any reason why Nigerian successive govts do not want to include ethnicity in census data?.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by AndreUweh(m): 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2011
odumchi:

For those of you with mixed background you can chose tto pick your father sor mothers die. In most of Igboland you can have a white mother but as long as your father is Igbo your ethnicity is Igbo.
It is like that with other ethnic groups. West African societies are patrilineal.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Yewe2011(m): 11:55pm On Aug 03, 2011
there's a lot of us Ghanaians on here, we should have "Ghanaian" option

this is not a Nigeria census but a Nairaland Forum census correct?
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by odumchi: 4:44am On Aug 04, 2011
Yewe2011:

You have apoint. Too bad polls cannot be edited.

Andre Uweh:

@Alh Harem, is there any reason why Nigerian successive govts do not want to include ethnicity in census data?.

The numbers would be shocking.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by tpia5: 4:49am On Aug 04, 2011
Yewe2011:

see what others are doing:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-715813.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-718987.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-147070.0.html
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by aljharem3: 12:42pm On Aug 04, 2011
odumchi:

The numbers would be shocking.

Andre Uweh:

why do an ethnic census undecided
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Bialegend(m): 2:47pm On Aug 04, 2011
alj_harem:

why do an ethnic census undecided

Because it is done in other countries of the world, especially USA.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by Gbenge77(m): 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2011
Yewe2011:

[/quote)yeah
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by aljharem3: 5:22pm On Aug 04, 2011
Bialegend:

Because it is done in other countries of the world, especially USA.

what if there is an ethnic census and igbo or yorubas are found to be minorities

would you people not be screaming north this north that. Aboki has done it again

or if the, lets say igala are more than igbo, or yoruba

would you people not take to the streets in protest that you are being marginalised undecided

i think we should think carefully about what we want
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by sadiq88: 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2011
shoooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww!
i thought this website/forum is owned by yorubas, why is is ibo beating them in population?

op
why can't i vote twice or more than?
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by odumchi: 6:28pm On Aug 04, 2011
alj_harem:

what if there is an ethnic census and igbo or yorubas are found to be minorities

would you people not be screaming north this north that. Aboki has done it again

or if the, lets say igala are more than igbo, or yoruba

would you people not take to the streets in protest that you are being marginalised undecided

i think we should think carefully about what we want

There is no way that Igbos or Yorubas could be found as "minorities". The Igbo have been undercounted and the Hausa have been overcounted, we want reasonable/reliable figures.

sadiq88:

shoooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww!
i thought this website/forum is owned by yorubas, why is is ibo beating them in population?

op
why can't i vote twice or more than?

You cant vote more than once because we want to eliminate cheating or corruption, or atleast keep it to a minimum. If you are mixed, simply choose your father's ethnicity, if your father is mixed, choose your grandfather's, if he is mixed, simply chose the nearest unmixed male in your lineage.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by aljharem3: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2011
odumchi:

There is no way that Igbos or Yorubas could be found as "minorities". The Igbo have been undercounted and the Hausa have been overcounted, we want reasonable/reliable figures.

odumchi, I know what I am talking about

Hausa is not alone because it is called hausa/fulani thus they are the most populous people in Nigeria

Now if they find out the ijaw is more than yoruba or igbo would you people not take to the street (riots)

I hope they do the ethnic census
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by odumchi: 9:32pm On Aug 04, 2011
alj_harem:

odumchi, I know what I am talking about

Hausa is not alone because it is called hausa/fulani thus they are the most populous people in Nigeria

Now if they find out the ijaw is more than yoruba or igbo would you people not take to the street (riots)

I hope they do the ethnic census

The Fulanis are bunching with the Huasas politically so as to not be labelled as "minorities". There are not up to 5 million Fulanis in Nigeria anyway.
Hausa people may not be the most populous. The number of ethnic "Hausa" is most often confused with the number of "Hausa" speakers. There are non-Hausa but Hausa-speaking ethnicities that are counted as Hausa. No, there would be no riots because first of all such a thing could never happen.
Re: Nairaland 2011 Ethnic Census. by DaDoctor: 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2011
^^IGBO KWENU!!!!!!!!!^^^
IGBO KWEZUO NU EHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairalanders Beware! / Salaries Of Health Workers / Download And Watch The 57th Annual Grammy Awards (2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.