Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,811 members, 7,824,375 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children (5841 Views)

Photo: If Your Mum Didnt Buy You This, You Missed A Lot As A Kid / Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby / Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by RiffRaff: 5:38pm On Aug 02, 2011
Was in a bus 2day and i saw this pregnant woman, with a couple of kids like 3 of them with 1 on her back. They were trying to lap on a sit. With the help of the other passengers we were able to take the kids 1 by 1 cuz it was obvious they wouldn’t fit on a single sit.

My question is why do people have more kids than they can cater for? Nigerians complain of poverty and still give birth to a lot of children.

1 Like

Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 02, 2011
Cause its a free gift from God and they cant control their libido
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Mynd44: 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2011
Cos they get Intimate to forget their condition
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by 190: 5:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
OP kindly direct your question to GEJ undecided
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by claremont(m): 5:57pm On Aug 02, 2011
Riff-Raff:

Was in a bus 2day and i saw this pregnant woman, with a couple of kids like 3 of them with 1 on her back. They were trying to lap on a sit. With the help of the other passengers we were able to take the kids 1 by 1 cuz it was obvious they wouldn’t fit on a single sit.

My question is why do people have more kids than they can cater for? Nigerians complain of poverty and still give birth to a lot of children.
Yet another crazed rant probably from a Mental health institution escapee! On what basis do you make a callous assertion like the above highlighted? Is it on the basis of an isolated incident you had with "a pregnant with a couple of kids in a bus"?! How the hell does a pregnant woman with a couple of kids in a bus correlate with "poor Nigerians give birth to a lot of children"?! How did you make a conclusion that the said pregnant woman is poor?! What statistical survey did you do to come to the myopic conclusion that poor Nigerians give birth to a lot of children?!

Abeg go siddon jor!
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by tpia5: 6:00pm On Aug 02, 2011
poor Nigerians give birth to a lot of children

but they do nah!!!!!
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 02, 2011
for the engineers!!
1}how can you locate a mis firing cylinder in a diesel engine.
2} what is the effect of too much valve clearance.
3} what would happen if your piston ring stick down in ur piston or a broken piston ring.
4} How does ignition of the fuel differ in diesel engine.
5}How does diesel engine differ in the burning of the fuel.
6} Why does a diesel engine known as a constant pressure engine.
7}How does burning take place in a gasoline engine.
8}How is compression brought about in the cylinder of the four stroke diesel engine.
9}How is compression brought about in a two stroke cycle engine, diesel.
10} What is TDC & BDC, what are the good quallity of a piston ring.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Goldieluks: 11:40pm On Aug 02, 2011
because they lack exposure and sex education.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by r231(m): 11:40pm On Aug 02, 2011
toba:

Cause its a free gift from God and they cant control their libido

true grin cheesy
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by noperson1: 11:43pm On Aug 02, 2011
My people na so d tin b 4 our country oooo sad. I once had a neighbour dt had kids like dt. He didnt seem to have any source of income and as of the time my family moved to dt area, he had like five but had lost two to the fire dt gutted his shank. He lived in a make-shift house covered with roofing sheet. Before i left d place like four years later, he had had three more kids. D wife sells fruits in season and groundnut to sustain the family. They couldnt even buy uniform for d kids to go to public school. People in the area used to help them out with clothes and food. I stopped giving them things when i noticed d woman was pregnant with d 7th child.
I feel dt since d man is jobless, he gives himself work by sleeping with d wife. Rich people dont have much kids cos they dont have the time. both husband and wife are running after money and by the time they get back home, they are both too tired to b intimate
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 02, 2011
Because those kids keep them strong through their poverty. Evethough they don't have money, but they have children and those kids give them happiness that some rich people lack.

Another reason. . .

Not trying to bash them or anything, but the mentality not only poor people, but must African have is that, the more kids they have, the more chances of them getting rich.

Because they have the hope that on of their kids is more likely to be a rich person.

1 Like

Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by ektbear: 12:15am On Aug 03, 2011
Not just poor Nigerians, but poor people in general. It is a bad idea, but they do it anyway.

1 Like

Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by amblors(m): 12:34am On Aug 03, 2011
yea its a bad idea, but i don't exactly blame dem.

scenario 1: Mr Rich

Mr Rich man is always making money,
having parties n luncheons, dinners etc.
barely comes home early, goes straight to bed when he arrives,
has dem midnite meetings.

Scenario 2:: Mr Poor
works, gets back home quite early
probably lives in a zone blacklisted by nepa
his only companion when he comes back home is his wife, so with time to spare,
churn out kids,
thinks theyre abit few, needs more noise around him, the cycle goes on
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by rafmike(m): 12:36am On Aug 03, 2011
Riff-Raff:

dat means de woman has 4 and 1/2 children. Dats not all dat much but i guess within de next 2yrs she'll miraculously give birth 4 more children, mathematically, its gonna 2 children per year. Dats great, I'll advise her to keep it up. Afterall de bible even said we should go and multiply,
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by dogice(m): 12:46am On Aug 03, 2011
thats the only fun thing they can do
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by odumchi: 2:06am On Aug 03, 2011
@ OP

By Poor Nigerians what do you mean? The average number of children per family tend to differ across the country. In the North, poor couples tend to have mre children because they tend to depend more on the community to take care of their children through menial jobs, begging, farmwork and etc.

In the East you will hardly see a very poor man with more than 5 kids. Most people marry only when they have c lear means of supporting their families. You will never see an Easterner with N20 looking for a wife. grin As for the West I can't say.

But here are the main reasons why poor people have many children

1. Lack of Cable televison/electronic pass-times
2. The need of more helping hands on the farm and etc.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by EvilBrain1(m): 4:23am On Aug 03, 2011
Poverty has always been associated with a high birth rate. Its a fact of life. Not just Nigerians either, indians, other africans and pretty much poor people everywhere except china (because of the strict 1 child laws).

The opposite is also true. Europe and Japan have negative population growth. The US is only growing b'cos of immigration. But a century or 2 ago when those areas were poor, they were multiplying like rabbits just like us.

Its also why there are so many almajiris in the north: northerners are far, far poorer on average than southerners.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Okaypan(m): 4:25am On Aug 03, 2011
Like in China, my father has lots brothers and sisters. More children, more Labor Forces in one family. But it's really hard to raise up these children.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by tubolancer(m): 5:46am On Aug 03, 2011
it is true even the house where i stay they you found poor people having many children and they cut across the tribe.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Nymphnode(m): 5:49am On Aug 03, 2011
How do you mean poor? There are lot of super rich folks with a football/Dream Team. There are just 2 in my family and I use to envy my neighbour who have younger brothers that are taller than them who call them 'BRODA SO SO' grin
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by babaniyen1(m): 6:48am On Aug 03, 2011
Thats because they are just daft
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by swaggerboi2011: 9:39am On Aug 03, 2011
ask GEJ
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by slimyem: 9:55am On Aug 03, 2011
claremont:

Yet another crazed rant probably from a Mental health institution escapee! On what basis do you make a callous assertion like the above highlighted? Is it on the basis of an isolated incident you had with "a pregnant with a couple of kids in a bus"?! How the hell does a pregnant woman with a couple of kids in a bus correlate with "poor Nigerians give birth to a lot of children"?! How did you make a conclusion that the said pregnant woman is poor?! What statistical survey did you do to come to the myopic conclusion that poor Nigerians give birth to a lot of children?!

Abeg go siddon jor!

i am amazed and dissapointed at your outburst.must you go vulgar because you have to make a point.
If you must know,the fact that seeing a woman with four kids and pregnant willing to pay for only two seats on a bus is enough to make a sensible assumption that she's poor.
Besides,it is a known fact that poor pple tend to have more children.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by lafuria1(m): 10:10am On Aug 03, 2011
wetin una want make dem do. But in nigeria i argue dat our population is nt d reason y we are poor. The govt havnt done enough.
I just observe sumetin funny, so d northerners are more populated than d eastaners and later d easterners wil say they have d hieghest population in lagos and nigeria.those chlidren are dia wealth. Dia popular slogan, God will provide.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by blank(f): 10:13am On Aug 03, 2011
I think is cos they are too poor to afford good condoms so they try and recycle the used ones and so plenty plenty holes. Or they just don't care? Maybe cos they are not educated cos i noticed that people that are educated (and not just rich) have a lower number of children. By the time you think of school fees all the way to university, U will see that condoms are cheaper.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by sevule(m): 10:16am On Aug 03, 2011
claremont:

Abeg go siddon jor!

Poster above is obviously living in denial or has never been to Nigeria. The truth is that most of the poor people that have like 4 children and more HAVE A LOW LEVEL OF EDUCATION. It is pretty difficult to see an educated man that knows better fathering children like rabbits. We need to take a leaf from China and campaign for responsible family planning. Better still distribute free condoms and contraceptives in rural areas and towns.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by madoba: 10:19am On Aug 03, 2011
@ Claremont

That was harsh and uncalled for. You could have passed your point across without the name calling.

@ topic

I use public transport every now and then and the poster's narrative is one I often encounter, most times I offer to pay the fare just so the woman in question and her children can sit comfortably and not bother other passengers with the whole lapping and standing thing.

From my personal experience (not counting the bus incidents above) poor people actually do give birth to more children than they can adequately cater for, and I have wondered why they do this.
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by ugosly(m): 10:25am On Aug 03, 2011
while a rich man can afford 2 take expensive vacations abroad and indulge in extra-curricular activities like squash,tennis,golf,e.t.c,the poor man who cannot afford such luxury simply makes his wife his extra curicular and d result, undecided
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by WhyAWhy(m): 10:27am On Aug 03, 2011
Simple!!!

They are poor = Less more for some other "xtra effects" like contraceptives, birth control and family planning methods
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by chelseabmw(m): 10:35am On Aug 03, 2011
Free punny free child birthday
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by Sike(m): 10:50am On Aug 03, 2011
Yes, they are poor but having babies doesnt require an cost, its F.O.C!
Re: Why Do ''poor'' Nigerian Give Birth To A Lot Of Children by gararus: 12:10pm On Aug 03, 2011
What do you expect they are broke, they got nothin better to do than to ,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom @30, Orange Is Our Color, Color Yourself With The Color Me Orange App / Have You Ever Lied About Your Age? / Are Eastern Nigerians From Central Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.