Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,572 members, 7,958,770 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:20 PM

1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment (4874 Views)

Lawyers To Sue NASS On CCB/CCT Amendment Bill / FG Plans N8tn Budget For 2016 / Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 4:31am On Aug 03, 2011
[size=14pt]1999 Constitution: FG plans 50 sections for amendment[/size]
•Single tenure: ANPP lied –Investigations
Written by Taiwo Adisa Wednesday, 03 August 2011

LEGAL and constitution experts looking at the proposed amendments to the 1999 Constitution being planned by the presidency may have identified 50 sections to be amended before the next round of electioneering, sources said on Tuesday.

It was confirmed that some legal draftsmen already working on the development had identified key areas which would be submitted to President Goodluck Jonathan for eventual processing by the National Assembly.

It was also confirmed that no fewer than 50 sections of the constitution would eventually be forwarded to the National Assembly for amendment, when the exercise was finally completed.

It was gathered that the president would begin consultations with different segments of the political hierarchy before the bill finally landed in the National Assembly.

Already, the draftsmen were said to be looking at all relevant laws and constitutional processes that would finally yield a constitution for Nigeria.

A source said documents being looked at included the Citizens’ Forum for Constitution Reform (CFCR), which prepared a draft constitution; the Pro-National Conference (PRONACO) Peoples Constitution; the Abacha Constitution of 1995; the report of the National Political Reform Conference of 2005 and the 1999 Constitution.

[size=14pt]Sections already worked on included revenue allocation and management of resources, establishment of true federalism and strengthening of the accountability institutions, including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC).[/size]

To arrive at the 50 sections for amendment, the draftsmen were also said to have received inputs from some Nigerian constitution experts in the United States and the United Kingdom, who were said to have forwarded their inputs to the presidency.

Meanwhile, contrary to the statements credited to the All Nigeria People’s Party (ANPP), which claimed that it did not participate in the process leading to the adoption of the single term of office for president and governors, documents obtained by the Nigerian Tribune indicated that the party was fully involved in the process.

ANPP’s spokesman, Mr Emma Eneukwu, had said in a statement on Monday that the party’s hierarchy was not consulted in the process leading to the adoption of the single term tenure by the Inter-Party Consultative Committee on Electoral Reform in 2008, headed by President Goodluck Jonathan, who was then the vice-president.

A document entitled “Report of the Inter-Party Consultative Committee on Electoral Reform, Volume II: Appendices,” showed that the ANPP was fully represented by seven persons, including its former chairman, Chief Edwin Ume-Ezeoke.

The party was, on January 24, 2008, invited to forward nominations to the committee in a letter written to its national chairman by the former deputy chief of staff to the vice-president, Chief Mike Oghiadomhe and ANPP, in a letter dated January 31, 2008 sent in the names of seven nominees to serve on the committee.

The letter, with reference number ANPP/HDQ/PRES/22, signed by its then national secretary, Senator Saidu Kump, named the former chairman, Chief Ume-Ezeoke; Mr James Okongor (South-South); Chief Kunle Ogunade (South-West); Dr Sam Ugo Okpara (South-East); Senator Mohammed Muktar Aruwa (North-West); Senator Abdulaziz Ibrahim (North-East) and Alhaji Bolaji Khaleel (North-Central) as the party’s representatives.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/26091-1999-constitution-fg-plans-50-sections-for-amendment-single-tenure-anpp-lied-investigations
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 4:35am On Aug 03, 2011
Among the 50 issues being proposed for tinkering in the proposed amendments are revenue allocation, the enactment of true federalism and the strengthening of the nation’s anti-corruption institutions, notably the Independent Corrupt practices and other related offences Commission, ICPC and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

The momentum for the proposed reforms it was learnt flowed from the recommendations of past constitutional and political conferences in the country. Among those specifically named yesterday were the reports from the Citizens’ Forum for Constitution Reform(CFCR) which prepared a draft Constitution, the Pro-National Conference(PRORONACO) Peoples Constitution, the Abacha Constitution of 1995, the report of the National Political Reform Conference of 2005 and the 1999 Constitution.

“Looking at the performance of the last election, some people are of the view that If we strengthen the accountability institutions, the nation could make do with what we have on ground now. The views are still coalescing,” the source disclosed yesterday.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/presidency-plans-more-constitutional-amendments/
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 4:44am On Aug 03, 2011
“ That NCG discussed and unanimously adopted both the roadmap to popular constitutional restructuring of Nigeria and the draft bill thereof presented by the chair of the strategy team of Project Nigeria. We have however resolved to mobilize all Nigerians with the content of this new bill and also launch this great movement in the existing six geopolitical zones of the country in our determined resolve to engage both the president and the National Assembly in their latest attempt to take a look at the constitutional and democratic structure of Nigeria.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/presidency-plans-more-constitutional-amendments/

Way to go. We are living in exciting times indeed.

Fresh Air, Nigeria!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by NegroNtns(m): 4:52am On Aug 03, 2011
You see this is why I respect the Hausa and their resolve to follow up with deeds to their words.

Southerners are the ones that continue to patch and repair the nationality. Hausa could care less what we do, when its time for them to do what they want they don't give a daymn about constitution. They make their declaration and they follow it up with action.

We are here hugging and trying to prove to the world that we can make this democracy survive for all the unwilling people cojoined in it.

After the amendments then what next? We are back to complaints of Hausa enjoying oil, Hausa ruling, Hausa this and Hausa that. Hausa could care less wehther this Nation survives or dissolves, they are setting up and configuring what they need for a wind down and wind out of the union and nobody is going to hold them back.

We need the fvcking SNC, not a gaddem constitution amendment! Amendment for who? West don't need it, Hausa don't need it, so I guess this is for South and South East.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 5:03am On Aug 03, 2011
^
So you think we should all puts guns to each others heads and tell each other to sod off? I don't get your point.
What steps are involved in calling an SNC? Please answer that question.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Laguna: 5:18am On Aug 03, 2011
What kind of amendments are we talking about? Amendments that take away our freedom or amendments that protect that freedom?
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by NegroNtns(m): 5:48am On Aug 03, 2011
Beaf,

I want first to let you know that you are one of the people I most respect here and I probably should not even have responded on your post like that. So let me beg your forgiveness on that. It cannot nonetheless be ignored because everything is pointing to a dangerous cresting soon.

In addition, if this move is Gej's, I find it very irritating that the President is using logical steps to rule an emotional issue. I very often disagree with some things he has done so far but he has his own style and though he has been in that executive position for two terms now (first as VP and now as Pres), his grip on national issues are dissapointing but I do believe that "while he was not the best candidate, people voted him in and as such we must respect him and repect his office. People voted on emotion and their expectations of him are tied to those emotions. So he needs to start responding emotionally to the people.

On SNC, do you know why its difficult to get it going? Ill tell you its because the Europeans have no model for it that we can copy.

Czhekoslovakia is the only Euro country that dissolved but it happened in bloodshed. Our own dissolution attempt with bloodsshed failed. Now we cannot find a safe model laid down by white man for us to use. Our academia has limits when it comes to application, goes to show we are good at copying and mimicking but incapable of originality. We want to amend constitution and experts in London and America are subnmitting ideas. Should we hate Boko for their push back on the encroachment of too much western ideologies? Is this civilization or self-enslavement?

Thousands of people have died over the years because the balance of power is tipped away from South. If anyone ought to be upset and raising hell about the nonsense called Nigeria it ought to be a Southerner and not the Northerners. Yet we are at it every turn attempting to patch and make what is not workable go a few more years in hope that we will ultimateLy salvage it. While we are amending constitution that Hausas don't care about they are attending to what they care about and will benefit them - Sharia and islamic banking.

What will benefit us that we need to attend to in the South? I don't think its the constitution but I'm probably wrong.

Without doubt everyone in the country for the first time agree and spoke with one voice - we want SNC! The North want it, the West want it, the East want it. What are we waiting for?

I will be glad to share ideas on that topic if its opened.

Thank you sir!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 7:00am On Aug 03, 2011
^
Bruv, I wasn't offended and I hope I didn't offend you too.

I asked the question about the steps required to get us to an SNC, because there are real difficulties and tough constitutional practicalities to surmount. There needs to be an overwhelming groundswell and possibly, a near war situation (Aburi Conference springs to mind). We are angry, but not even nearly near war, so the SNC option would always be scuttled by sections accussing the Executive of unnecessary rabble rousing. You know the drill, the usual suspects (IBB, Atiku, Ciroma and the old vampire brigade) will pick up their megaphones and go to town.

That is not the only possible short circuit to watch out for. There are huge differences in the way the SE, SS and SW define true federalism; the Middle Belt does not yet have a cogent definition (aside from getting away from feudalism). All these views need to forged into a single coherent agenda. There are a thousand and one ares that need ironing out by allying sections before an SNC: How will revenues be generated? What would be an agreable level of strength for the FG and autonomy for the regions? What number of months would each federating unit need to prepare for true federalism? What does fiscal federalism mean to each section? Where would military installations be situated? etc etc
Added to the above difficulties, is the Nigerian penchant for screaming and chaos. cheesy

Organising an SNC requires full on, long range planning and wisdom. For one thing, there is no constitutional provision for it. As you say, GEJ has his style; he is able to get results without being intrusive, disruptive or offensive, I would watch this constituition ammendment moves.
You would notice they got you talking and demanding. . . IMHO, that is what will happen across the country, suddenly everyone would want to make their own changes too and boom! You've got a peaceful SNC situation, it could just work that way.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by NegroNtns(m): 7:48am On Aug 03, 2011
No, you did not offend this side at all and I appreciate the reciprocated consideration.

Now, you spoke with great wisdom here. I tune in and agree with almost everything you said. You are not wrong in predicting what the drum majors will do. A President must be compassionate and be in touch with the common man. He must dine and wine the social elites but damn them with resolve for principled actions on his policies and agendas. They are not his defenders, the common people are.

On this issue of, "troubled waters", so to speak, the President need a forum for addressing the nation and speaking to the people with honesty and compassion. That should already have happened since Boko affair started.

On SNC, what is the default and what is the alternative way forward?

First I believe we are using the constitution for the wrong reasons and abusing its relevance by making so many amendments so close apart.

A constitution is a pressure point and for good reason ought to be left intact and whatever gaps we are trying to close should be addressed via house bills. When we amend constitution we are dodging the pressure for the house to come up with creative and genuine ways to address real issues that impact the peiople and society. So in 2015 another President get in and guess what, constitutional amendment. In 2019 another President, constitutional amendment. What are we doing?

The laxity of the many constituional drafts and their various amendments and military decrees over so many years to address our issues bear one testimony - our issues and needs and interests are divergent, not convergent. We may look same with similar features on outside but our inner spirits desire different paths and aspirations which the union is incapable of providing. We are wasting lives, not just in death but also in living. Our human workforce and productivity and efficiency is under-utilized. We are a nation of unfulfilled ambitions. The union has made us handicapps, even though our limbs are complete and functional. . . . . .we are no better than those who are limbless. Our productivity is no better than their output at their optimum best.

So shouldn't we first ask the people what they want rather than assuming that a one-Nigeria is the way to go forward?

Do you know why Aburi broke down and Biafra went to war?
Lack of communication and disregard for the power of active negotiations.

Through consistent sharing and feeback, where the President gets an air time with the public and give a broadcasted speech, information gathering at the community level, his office can get a true feel for want the people want and how to facilitate a proper channel for the negotiations. He should only facilitate and if necessary mediate, but the regionals have learnt their lessns and each side is suspicious and wary of the other, the negotiations will succeed and whatever path the parties declare as choice then the President can bless that.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 9:18am On Aug 03, 2011
There are always effective ways to achieve ends without rancour. I can assure you that an SNC set up out of the blue in todays Nigeria will only be a target for bombers. There are very many bitterly angry folk from the old establishment bent on revenge or scuttling our progress.
Lets take the problem of boko haram, if you imagine that they were able to tell a Northern governor exactly where he was in state house on several occassions, then you can begin to understand that they aren't a rag-tag army, instead they are made up of bitter persons from our army, police, other security services and financed by bitter elite. The way to defeat such an enemy is by triangulation and cutting off their oxegen, not playing into their hands with gatherings of hundreds of leaders from all over the country. Easy targets for maximum impact.

We don't yet know what the govt is proposing, but I'd love to see a clause that would allow any unhappy section to pull out of the federation after a favourable plebiscite. It might be possible to loosen up the union to an extent that everybody begins behaving, because it is in their strategic interest.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by houvest: 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
The 1999 Constitution was foisted on us by Abubakir. Ammendments are in order no matter how many till we get a people's constitution.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by dempeople(m): 6:02pm On Aug 03, 2011
@ [size=14pt]Negro_Ntns [/size]and [size=14pt]Beaf[/size],

Guys, I concur with most of your points. I seldom comment extensively on NL nowadays especially as it pertains to national political Issues. I'm just quite tired of it all. My maverick interest in politics has reduced drastically and reduced me to just reading the posts on this section and extensively on this forum.

Nigeria has a way of making one to "switch-off" and assume a "siddon-look" approach to national issues. I've reached that stage now. For you guys, if you reach that stage, it's understandable. If you don't, then ultra kudos to the remaining fire still burning in you guys. I had this fire long before now.

My passion about Nigeria's possible(?) restructuring has died long ago. I only watch, smile, laugh and frown at earth's largest cesspit once in a while.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 03, 2011
Now That is the L I subscribe to!!! Thanks alot Negroe_mtn lol and beaf!!!

The solution to me is not always dissolution but a rather a loosen union which enables people to come in or go out!!

As it is, Nigeria is the only platform each tribe has to disrespect each other. With the FG selling oil blocks in the delta without consent of the natives? Instead of the FG to fight and protect it's natives, it gave their land to Cameroon. That is a reason for me not to trust in Nigeria because given circumstances, FG can forfeit any land and territory to any nation and have the natives kicked out of their ancestral land, This isn't a union instead this is a rotational sacrificial alter with every member taking their turn in unproductively sacrificing themselves to keep the alter,

The FG hasn't for once spoken against shell and oil companies polluting the Niger Delta and you want the people to feel they are in a union that protects their interests? This is a looming crisis and we are all looking away from the fire on the mountain forgetting that the fire will spread down the hills!! What sort of Union are we in? Obasanjo was suppose to protect the Bakassi people because the Bakassi people didn't give up their territory to Cameroon even if it means war, it is suppose to be a union where we all fight for each other collectively,

While the Hausas/Fulanis can go about their fake Islamic propaganda and manipulative policies with deceitful intentions, we have a southern president who's people are calling for help in the Delta getting abused by oil companies on a daily basis but do we get? A man not focused on what matters instead tenure elongation? seriously? I was disappointed. oil subsidy that was never there? Our education system is a copied one which encourages cramming and not skills,

There is manipulations coming from both sides of the external world (Europe/Middle east), but what do we do, willing sheep heading for the blade,

No one not Nigerian can solve our problems. We don't need experts from Europe or America to tell us what to do or how to build a nation, Either we dismantle or start from scratch including name change!!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2011
9jaganja:

Now That is the L I subscribe to!!! Thanks alot Negroe_mtn lol and beaf!!!

The solution to me is not always dissolution but a rather a loosen union which enables people to come in or go out!!

As it is, Nigeria is the only platform each tribe has to disrespect each other. With the FG selling oil blocks in the delta without consent of the natives? Instead of the FG to fight and protect it's natives, it gave their land to Cameroon. That is a reason for me not to trust in Nigeria because given circumstances, FG can forfeit any land and territory to any nation and have the natives kicked out of their ancestral land,  This isn't a union instead this is a rotational sacrificial alter with every member taking their turn in unproductively sacrificing themselves to keep the alter,

The FG hasn't for once spoken against shell and oil companies polluting the Niger Delta and you want the people to feel they are in a union that protects their interests? This is a looming crisis and we are all looking away from the fire on the mountain forgetting that the fire will spread down the hills!! What sort of Union are we in? Obasanjo was suppose to protect the Bakassi people because the Bakassi people didn't give up their territory to Cameroon even if it means war, it is suppose to be a union where we all fight for each other collectively,

While the Hausas/Fulanis can go about their fake Islamic propaganda and manipulative policies with deceitful intentions,  we have a southern president who's people are calling for help in the Delta getting abused by oil companies on a daily basis but do we get? A man not focused on what matters instead tenure elongation? seriously? I was disappointed. oil subsidy that was never there? Our education system is a copied one which encourages cramming and not skills,

There is manipulations coming from both sides of the external world (Europe/Middle east), but what do we do, willing sheep heading for the blade,

No one not Nigerian can solve our problems. We don't need experts from Europe or America to tell us what to do or how to build a nation,  Either we dismantle or start from scratch including name change!!
It surprises me that somebody would envisage such in a nation that could not find solutions to tribalism and ethnicity. In other words you are asking for the nation to go into war to find a proper solution to the failing govt.

I don't see anything wrong if we go by the so called external world constitutions, at least it has so many ways they can work better than our enslavement demanding communal laws. I can't imagine a situation where I would be serving one leader based on age or ethnicity(how have to dictate all the time even if he/she is wrong).

We have to see there is reason for amendment but it should be done to areas that need attention for the benefits of the ordinary man. There have to be avenues where the govt. can interact with the populace to get their opinions on what to do in regards to the constitutional amendment.

No matter what the thing that is still in question is the ordinary Nigerians which the govt. claimed to serve,the people(general public) have not be educated on what the constitution of Nigeria entails. So, how would they know what is happening in the govt. rather than to think otherwise when things go wrong, either during election  or in resource control to having a president from a preferred region.

Nigeria case is really a complicated one which I think is not starting from the scratch will proffer best solution but the govt. seeking for the opinions of the ordinary people and follow with affirmative actions. The laws are meant for the people to be obeyed, if the reverse is the case there are bound to be problems of different kinds - that's what is wrong with Nigeria's constitution.Amendment alone can't solve the problems but concerted efforts of the whole(individuals' and otherwise) nation.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 03, 2011
all4naija:

It surprises me that somebody would envisage such in a nation that could not find solutions to tribalism and ethnicity. In other words you are asking for the nation to go into war to find a proper solution to the failing govt.

I don't see anything wrong if we go by the so called external world constitutions, at least it has so many ways they can work better than our enslavement demanding communal laws. I can't imagine a situation where I would be serving one leader based on age or ethnicity(how have to dictate all the time even if he/she is wrong).

We have to see there is reason for amendment but it should be done to areas that need attention for the benefits of the ordinary man. There have to be avenues where the govt. can interact with the populace to get their opinions on what to do in regards to the constitutional amendment.

No matter what the thing that is still in question is the ordinary Nigerians which the govt. claimed to serve,the people(general public) have not be educated on what the constitution of Nigeria entails. So, how would they know what is happening in the govt. rather than to think otherwise when things go wrong, either during election  or in resource control to having a president from a preferred region.

Nigeria case is really a complicated one which I think is not starting from the scratch will proffer best solution but the govt. seeking for the opinions of the ordinary people and follow with affirmative actions. The laws are meant for the people to be obeyed, if the reverse is the case there are bound to be problems of different kinds - that's what is wrong with Nigeria's constitution.Amendment alone can't solve the problems but concerted efforts of the whole(individuals' and otherwise) nation.

Mehn must dismantling necessarily mean war in your dictionary? Find another way to be intellectual!!

We can't have a general consensus on what to do as the common man will tell you what he wants not favours Nigeria structurally,

How can you seat there and be supporting a constitutional contribution from people who only uses their nation as a model for democracy without consideration of what "Nigerians" really are?

No no no! No more!! We need our own intellectuals who fully understands the concept called Nigeria. Not some expert who has been living comfortably in England all his/her life to tell Nigerians what our constitution should look like,

This is where philosophy and law comes in! This is not an avenue for us to start looking "experts" whose nations' national interests comes first and are entailed in Nigeria as a do or die union,

Loosening the union is the only way we can see some changes and by loosening the union, the center must be strictly ceremonial otherwise, we risk going back again, 

Education everything is on an over fed center who pursues the centers' agenda of keeping the nation as one without consideration for the fragments that empowers the center,

Think MAN; you are making me angry lol!!!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 03, 2011
^^^^

Your action will call for war because the different ethnic group cannot agree to start from the scratch or the so called dismantling(as if the country is not already in pieces).

We can agree on something which is the concerted effort of the general public with regards to the constitution, order than that there are a lot of things which you did not understand about the 1999 constitution(which is model along the Americans'). We had the Brit before then which didn't serve us well, which I think is based on this ethnicity line. The people who are in USA/England are quite aware things are missing in the constitution because this is their field, expert in it. Their contributions in no way cannot be all wrong - we are living in 21st century- I wouldn't want to draw anything from our irresponsible African laws which we know if they were superior they would have lead us to a more organized society by now yet the reverse is the case. I still think our govt. or rather society need external inputs with great scrutiny. Nobody is shoving anything into our throat but to see what these expert inputs would look like in comparison to what we are doing, if those could jettison the govt. to a more flexible and serving the people rightly - as in the developed world.

The union thing is a problem on one hand and on the other hand there is no way to loose the union without calling for any forms of blood shedding. For example Boko Haram might want their own state to exercise their Sharia but most intelligent Northerners would go against such idea. So, where do we start to go about your so termed union?How do we go about loosening without dealing harm?

We can disagree on so many things but we know the facts that they are not as easy as you thought nor will they be immediate solutions as such. Dividing the nation is going to come with it piece by piece of more division.

I don't need to think because this doesn't require thinking but common sense to grasp.If you like you can get angry that's your own business. All I would say is to get angry the more!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by experience(m): 9:44pm On Aug 03, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Beaf,

I want first to let you know that you are one of the people I most respect here and I probably should not even have responded on your post like that. So let me beg your forgiveness on that. It cannot nonetheless be ignored because everything is pointing to a dangerous cresting soon.

In addition, if this move is Gej's, I find it very irritating that the President is using logical steps to rule an emotional issue. I very often disagree with some things he has done so far but he has his own style and though he has been in that executive position for two terms now (first as VP and now as Pres), his grip on national issues are dissapointing but I do believe that "while he was not the best candidate, people voted him in and as such we must respect him and repect his office. People voted on emotion and their expectations of him are tied to those emotions. So he needs to start responding emotionally to the people.

On SNC, do you know why its difficult to get it going? Ill tell you its because the Europeans have no model for it that we can copy.

Czhekoslovakia is the only Euro country that dissolved but it happened in bloodshed. Our own dissolution attempt with bloodsshed failed. N[b]ow we cannot find a safe model laid down by white man for us to use. Our academia has limits when it comes to application, goes to show we are good at copying and mimicking but incapable of originality. We want to amend constitution and experts in London and America are subnmitting ideas. Should we hate Boko for their push back on the encroachment of too much western ideologies? Is this civilization or self-enslavement?
[/b]
Thousands of people have died over the years because the balance of power is tipped away from South. If anyone ought to be upset and raising hell about the nonsense called Nigeria it ought to be a Southerner and not the Northerners. Yet we are at it every turn attempting to patch and make what is not workable go a few more years in hope that we will ultimateLy salvage it. While we are amending constitution that Hausas don't care about they are attending to what they care about and will benefit them - Sharia and islamic banking.

What will benefit us that we need to attend to in the South? I don't think its the constitution but I'm probably wrong.

Without doubt everyone in the country for the first time agree and spoke with one voice - we want SNC! The North want it, the West want it, the East want it. What are we waiting for?

I will be glad to share ideas on that topic if its opened.

Thank you sir!

Give this man a cigar!!!!

This is the story of that Landmass carved up in 1884/5. It only takes an "oyibo" to recommend how to break and one will see the neocolonialists nodding their heads in agreement like its a new topic.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2011
@Negro_Ntns
Even the Boko Haram ideas are Islamic not Africans! So, that line of your comment holds no water.

The so called Western or rather European are general ideas adopted from different cultures with time. It is not peculiar to European alone any longer.

This is where we are missing the whole thing. We tend to see anything Western as European deception or oppression but fail to understand they too are going through changes(transformation every now and then) which we must strive to do order than clamoring for barbaric ancient Africa laws - maybe sacrificing of humans to Kings are okay in most Africans view - if not, people should stop asking for African laws or leadership in any form in  the past.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 03, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^

Your action will call for war because the different ethnic group cannot agree to start from the scratch or the so called dismantling(as if the country is not already in pieces).

We can agree on something which is the concerted effort of the general public with regards to the constitution, order than that there are a lot of things which you did not understand about the 1999 constitution(which is model along the Americans'). We had the Brit before then which didn't serve us well, which I think is based on this ethnicity line. The people who are in USA/England are quite aware things are missing in the constitution because this is their field, expert in it. Their contributions in no way cannot be all wrong - we are living in 21st century- I wouldn't want to draw anything from our irresponsible African laws which we know if they were superior they would have lead us to a more organized society by now yet the reverse is the case. I still think our govt. or rather society need external inputs with great scrutiny. Nobody is shoving anything into our throat but to see what these expert inputs would look like in comparison to what we are doing, if those could jettison the govt. to a more flexible and serving the people rightly - as in the developed world.

The union thing is a problem on one hand and on the other hand there is no way to loose the union without calling for any forms of blood shedding. For example Boko Haram might want their own state to exercise their Sharia but most intelligent Northerners would go against such idea. So, where do we start to go about your so termed union?How do we go about loosening without dealing harm?

We can disagree on so many things but we know the facts that they are not as easy as you thought nor will they be immediate solutions as such. Dividing the nation is going to come with it piece by piece of more division.

I don't need to think because this doesn't require thinking but common sense to grasp.If you like you can get angry that's your own business. All I would say is to get angry the more!

Haahahahhah so one tribe has more authority over the other because one is unwilling to be in the union? Biafra war was a result of protection of the Nigerian territory being invaded by Biafra. So let's not keep using Biafra as an example of result of secession ok? secession doesn't lead to war; war leads to secession,

And it is the conflict of interests that is likely to lead  to an ethnic war,  Millions of Northerners were happy when Sharia was declared but this lead to blood shed later on. The huge majority of the North supports Sharia as sole source of civic law while less than 0.03% (lol) of southerners want Sharia even southern Muslims,

Now, Sharia will make the North inhabitable for majority of Southerners and if that is the case, what is the essence of a union when I can't be welcomed in your land?

What do you mean by "irresponsible African law" we are currently practicing the white man's legal system and how good is that representing everyone? Look, majority of the British/American legal system is buit on Xtianity not until the 20th century before those laws were being modified,

Now how is such law suitable for Africans who have tons and tons of religion? England is just one language, one people and they weren't all forced to be english, they were all english. So your uk/American analogy for a case like Nigeria's is a false and inadequate analogy,

China as much as they still control their minority ethnic groups, there are still uprising between the Muslims in South east China,  England is one culture traditionally so you can't compare that with Nigeria,

Any ethnic group that wants a nation of it's own has the right to do so without violence and we don't need UN to get involved in it if the "American/UK" laws are civil enough to encourage the freedom of association of people,

It doesn't matter how many ethnic group there are in Nigeria, each one deserves authority over themselves and not others over them no matter how small,

To lead Nigeria to being organized, you have to promote a culture which includes all the ethnic nationalities of the nation. Can you wait 50years please? As Nigeria is, no tribe is willing to shed their identity to become "Nigerian" which is right if you ask me,  I am Yoruba and deserve to be without an imposed identity,

now given this freedom, am I suppose to sit back and watch as a majority run over my tribe? NO!!! Every tribe has the right to keep their identity,  "multiculturalism" is a fallacy my friend don't fall for liberal propaganda,  Multiculturalism means everyone speaks there language, everyone practices their culture etc,  Now how will a nation move forward without one super dominant culture? tell me please!! And don't use US/Canada/UK as an example because they are not multicultural just that they have people of different cultures who all dress same way to work, have to speak English before they can get a Job etc,

So please!!!!!!!! For a nation to work, it needs a dominant culture, and people willing to abandon their culture for the dominant one,  Is that right to you? This is why Nigeria is suppose to be a confederation or every tribe goes there own WAYS!!!!!!!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Gbenge77(m): 9:30am On Aug 05, 2011
Make dem remove immunity clause if dem serious.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by maclatunji: 10:02am On Aug 05, 2011
Gbenge 77:

Make dem remove immunity clause if dem serious.

Word!
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by ektbear: 10:23am On Aug 05, 2011
Would anyone be opposed to say 50% resource control (rather the current 13%) over a 20 year period? I think if you space it out over time, then you cushion the immediate blow to regions that don't produce much oil.

Thoughts on this? Say something like from 13% to 50% increasing linearly over 20 years or something.

Then again, I'm not sure that the current arrangement is constitutionally defined (havent read the constitution fully, so correct me if I am wrong).
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Dede1(m): 11:16am On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

Haahahahhah so one tribe has more authority over the other because one is unwilling to be in the union? Biafra war was a result of protection of the Nigerian territory being invaded by Biafra. So let's not keep using Biafra as an example of result of secession ok? secession doesn't lead to war; war leads to secession,

And it is the conflict of interests that is likely to lead to an ethnic war, Millions of Northerners were happy when Sharia was declared but this lead to blood shed later on. The huge majority of the North supports Sharia as sole source of civic law while less than 0.03% (lol) of southerners want Sharia even southern Muslims,

Now, Sharia will make the North inhabitable for majority of Southerners and if that is the case, what is the essence of a union when I can't be welcomed in your land?

What do you mean by "irresponsible African law" we are currently practicing the white man's legal system and how good is that representing everyone? Look, majority of the British/American legal system is buit on Xtianity not until the 20th century before those laws were being modified,

Now how is such law suitable for Africans who have tons and tons of religion? England is just one language, one people and they weren't all forced to be english, they were all english. So your uk/American analogy for a case like Nigeria's is a false and inadequate analogy,

China as much as they still control their minority ethnic groups, there are still uprising between the Muslims in South east China, England is one culture traditionally so you can't compare that with Nigeria,

Any ethnic group that wants a nation of it's own has the right to do so without violence and we don't need UN to get involved in it if the "American/UK" laws are civil enough to encourage the freedom of association of people,

It doesn't matter how many ethnic group there are in Nigeria, each one deserves authority over themselves and not others over them no matter how small,

To lead Nigeria to being organized, you have to promote a culture which includes all the ethnic nationalities of the nation. Can you wait 50years please? As Nigeria is, no tribe is willing to shed their identity to become "Nigerian" which is right if you ask me, I am Yoruba and deserve to be without an imposed identity,

now given this freedom, am I suppose to sit back and watch as a majority run over my tribe? NO!!! Every tribe has the right to keep their identity, "multiculturalism" is a fallacy my friend don't fall for liberal propaganda, Multiculturalism means everyone speaks there language, everyone practices their culture etc, Now how will a nation move forward without one super dominant culture? tell me please!! And don't use US/Canada/UK as an example because they are not multicultural just that they have people of different cultures who all dress same way to work, have to speak English before they can get a Job etc,

So please!!!!!!!! For a nation to work, it needs a dominant culture, and people willing to abandon their culture for the dominant one, Is that right to you? This is why Nigeria is suppose to be a confederation or every tribe goes there own WAYS!!!!!!!

I thought you were spurred by logical deduction in your rants until this paragraph. The manner you exhibited in your posts is the source of bizarre and audacious behavior of leaders from the old western and northern regions of Nigeria to cede Nigerian territory to Cameroon without moral justification.

It is either you were loaded with alcohol or saturated with boldface falsehood about Biafra’s session. The Biafrans simply did not find the unholy union of Nigeria humanly progressive by any intuition and decided to leave.

It is not lost on most Biafrans that people with this same mindset such as you decided to precipitate war of attrition on Biafra. On July 6, 1967, Nigeria launched ground military attack on Biafra and followed up with naval blockage. While Biafra was struggling to ward off the uncalled ground attack in the vicinity of Nsukka, Nigeria launched a seaborne assault on Biafra on July 26, 1967 and captured Ubani (Bonny) in the process.

I must say your posts indicated a person who is foolishly disingenuous and would want to eat his or her cake and have it.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by DeepSight(m): 12:32pm On Aug 05, 2011
^^^ To the extent that he speaks of a dominant culture, he has a point, and you have misunderstood him. He specifically stated that that culture must be a pot pouri of the various ethnic cultures.

It is beyond cavil that every coherent nation-state must have a dominant culture. By this I believe he refers to a supervening national world view which stamps the nation state with a given identity.

As a simple example: The United States comprises people from every part of the world, immigrants, decendants of conquistadors and slaves, few indigenous tribes, etc. However the United States remains a coherent nation-state because there is a supervening common world-view and culture that stamps the US with its unique identity as a nation-state. That world-view is based on the ideals of freedom and capitalism.

Thus that forms the plank for the dominant culture. If there were no dominant culture, the nation-state would lack cohesion, would lack direcvtion and would also lack an identity. It would have a personality crisis and would be schizophrenic. Such is the dilemma Nigeria has, and the gentleman had a strong point in so saying.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2011
Deep Sight:

^^^ To the extent that he speaks of a dominant culture, he has a point, and you have misunderstood him. He specifically stated that that culture must be a pot pouri of the various ethnic cultures.

It is beyond cavil that every coherent nation-state must have a dominant culture. By this I believe he refers to a supervening national world view which stamps the nation state with a given identity.

As a simple example: The United States comprises people from every part of the world, immigrants, decendants of conquistadors and slaves, few indigenous tribes, etc. However the United States remains a coherent nation-state because there is a supervening common world-view and culture that stamps the US with its unique identity as a nation-state. That world-view is based on the ideals of freedom and capitalism.

Thus that forms the plank for the dominant culture. If there were no dominant culture, the nation-state would lack cohesion, would lack direcvtion and would also lack an identity. It would have a personality crisis and would be schizophrenic. Such is the dilemma Nigeria has, and the gentleman had a strong point in so saying.

What you are attempting to describe is a contract between citizen and state, not a dominant culture. It is a contract that establishes the responsibilities and duties of both parties (state and citizen) in concrete. In the US, it is a legal document they lean on, their constitution. If Nigeria is able to generate changes in the areas the govt is thinking about, in such a way that the people, their ethnicities, religions etc are carried along, then Nigeria would have successfully forged a citizen-state contract that engenders a sense of belonging in every citizen. Today, there is nothing to point at as the definition for the word, Nigerian; the place is just a piece of land our parents happened to be born on.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by DeepSight(m): 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2011
Beaf:

What you are attempting to describe is a contract between citizen and state, not a dominant culture. It is a contract that establishes the responsibilities and duties of both parties (state and citizen) in concrete. In the US, it is a legal document they lean on, their constitution. If Nigeria is able to generate changes in the areas the govt is thinking about, in such a way that the people, their ethnicities, religions etc are carried along, then Nigeria would have successfully forged a citizen-state contract that engenders a sense of belonging in every citizen. Today, there is nothing to point at as the definition for the word, Nigerian; the place is just a piece of land our parents happened to be born on.

No sir.

It appears that you are leaning so heavily on the fulcrum of the tone you had set at the outset of this thread; whereat you sought to discuss constitutional amendments. It seems to me that that initial tone may have influenced your failing to grasp that which I set out in terms of the comments of the poster with the handle "9jaganja."

A contract between citizen and state is altogether a different matter from that which i touched upon. A contract between citizen and state devolves upon the fundamental idea of THE Social Contract which governs all human societies from the beginning of time. That contract is indeed encapsulated in today's world in written documents such as a Constitution.

With respect, that is an altogether different affair from the question of the culture and ideology of the disparate ethnic peoples within a nation state. The surmise I derive from 9jaganja's comments is that for an ethnically diverse nation-state to succeed, the diferent ethnic nationalities must have some common views and common ideas about their worldview and their union. That is what is referred to as the dominant culture - and not the question of social contract.

And that point remains unimpeachable.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Beaf: 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2011
^
I will back up my argument with your own words:

Every last word of the above is correct. What is most important is the bolded; those twin pillars on which the US is built are derived and directly driven by her constitution, the rights and guarantees it affords the individual and their duties to the state. Every US citizen instinctively reaches for the constitution when they are threatened; it is an almost religious thing, citizens of no other country act that way.
The American world-view is built off their constution, which is the foundation of US society. The US is a great example of how disparate peoples, colours and religions have been successfully forged into a unit by a legal document. Nigeria can follow suit.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by DeepSight(m): 2:04pm On Aug 05, 2011
No Sir -

This is what the social contract is about -

Of The Social Contract, Or Principles of Political Right (Du contrat social ou Principes du droit politique) (1762) by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, is the book in which Rousseau theorized about the best way in which to set up a political community in the face of the problems of commercial society which he had already identified in his Discourse on Inequality (1754).

Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains.[1]

The Sovereign, having no force other than the legislative power, acts only by means of the laws; and the laws being solely the authentic acts of the general will, the Sovereign cannot act save when the people is assembled.[2]

Every law the people have not ratified in person is null and void — is, in fact, not a law.[3]

The legislative power belongs to the people, and can belong to it alone.[4]

The Social Contract was a progressive work that helped inspire political reforms or revolutions in Europe, especially in France. The Social Contract argued against the idea that monarchs were divinely empowered to legislate; as Rousseau asserts, only the people, in the form of the sovereign, have that all powerful right.

The heart of the idea of the social contract may be stated simply: Each of us places his person and authority under the supreme direction of the general will, and the group receives each individual as an indivisible part of the whole,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_social_contract

It is the timeless, free and inalienable understanding whereby people rent their sovereigty to a government for the pursuit of common goals. As we have said, such is codified under Constitutions, especially through the words - "We the people. . . ."

That is different from what is referred to as a dominant culture in the context of a multi-ethnic society. In these terms, by "Dominant Culture" we refer to the idea that disparate ethnic peoples have a common worldview and common culture which forms the stamp of their identity.

That world-view is based on the ideals of freedom and capitalism.

Can you tell me what the common ideological pillars of Nigerian nationhood are - which are denominated by all Nigeria's peoples in the same way as all Americans subscribe to these ideals?

So the statement from 9jaganja to the effect that such common cultural denominators are needed remains unimpeachable.

To be honest, it surprises me that anybody would contest such a self-evident truth, much less in the way that Dede1 insulted the poor fellow for so saying.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Dede1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2011
Deep Sight:

Sometimes I wonder aloud when few people write about the history and cultural composition of USA and often confuse issues with later day gist of academia. USA is primarily built on the bedrock of English culture and secondarily on European culture.

For example, in 1822 when Swedish Prime Ministers visited Boston area of USA, it surprised the wit out of him to find his Swedish compatriots could no longer speak a word in Swedish.   

However, I detect instances of confusion in 9jaganja’s post especially on references about Biafra. Granted what happens outside the boundary of a nation would sometimes influence the policies but culture will definitely shape the nationalistic integrity of any given nation state. 

Every human culture has element of freedom and some shades of economic system. Even “Trade by Bata” was a sort of capitalism because individuals must have something to exchange goods for services.

In fact, I agree with every bit of sense conveyed in the last paragraph of the above post
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by NegroNtns(m): 3:12pm On Aug 05, 2011
The two aspects of a dominant culture and the social contract are present in the American system.

Dominant culture was not accomplished through a peaceful assembly and negotiation, rather, it was snatched forcefully with the power and threat of intimidation. English culture emerged the mainstream culture through several acts of bloody invasions, wars and as well subjugation. Articles of the American constitution gives broad definitions in an attempt not to micromanage the society. So for any one article, particularly expressing individual rights, you can interprete the law broadly or you can give it a narrow application. By this wide latitude discrimination lines between a ruling class mainstream (or dominant culture) and those that are classed thus and the not mainstream or substream have emerged as the new weapon of intimidation and threat by the state power. So, in effect the constitution that was intended as a document of liberty is in fact an instrument for deriving more power against the will of the people.

The social contract is not in the American constitution but rather in the Declaration of Independence, which is the root from which the constitution was drafted.

We talk too much about the constitution but neglect to realize that the will of the people that formed the dominant culture inserted into the constitution was first negotiated and secured by a Declaration of the willing - "We the People. . . . ."

Nigeria has no such declaration that expresses our will to be together. That will ought first to be negotiated and secured before we get into constituion drafting and amendment. I'm saying this to suggest that if its in our interest to copy the American model.

The SNC will be the forum where our version of Declaration of Independence can be negotiated and put into concrete terms for a union or for a dissolution.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

And it is the conflict of interests that is likely to lead  to an ethnic war,  Millions of Northerners were happy when Sharia was declared but this lead to blood shed later on. The huge majority of the North supports Sharia as sole source of civic law while less than 0.03% (lol) of southerners want Sharia even southern Muslims,

China as much as they still control their minority ethnic groups, there are still uprising between the Muslims in South east China,  England is one culture traditionally so you can't compare that with Nigeria,

To lead Nigeria to being organized, you have to promote a culture which includes all the ethnic nationalities of the nation. Can you wait 50years please? As Nigeria is, no tribe is willing to shed their identity to become "Nigerian" which is right if you ask me,  I am Yoruba and deserve to be without an imposed identity,
Can you point to any country that seceded without going through blood shedding or showing any form of displacement? I still think this idea of secession needs thorough scrutiny before even trying to engage it. The line "Secession doesn't lead to war;war leads to secession" is more or less a conjecture without any real world proof. It seems logical but the other way round is usually the obvious.

Interests have never been a problem in the Nigerian case but ethnic rivalry(it is most within states) and on the so called national level it is by majority.On the context of comparing both you find out that the minority has less saying in the affair of things in the nation. This is one of the areas the constitution has to be addressed or amended, to put same power in the hands of the minority in the like of the majority. This is what the constitution of the United States is able to do, protecting every citizenry regardless of the ethnicity size.

Ethnic that wants a nation of it own can do so is easier-said-than-done. There has never be a time it can be easy, excepting on the ground one ethnic group shed blood to the advantage of the others to secede - perhaps in the case of former Soviet.

Civilization is not a cultural thing it is the ability of the people to exercise the ideas of a civil society(treat things from organized perspective) and build upon it a future of modern lifestyle. This has to do with disciplinary measures like treat people with equality, respect for the rule of laws, develop the society with modern infrastructure, provide sound education to meet the advancement of the community, create enabling environment for good social life, provide freedom of expression and all forms of human rights to take place and, technological and scientific advancement in all sundry, etc. You can quote me wrong, I think civilization is not a cultural thing but has to do with people capacities to embrace change for the better. I quite disagree with you we will have to promote all ethnic cultures alone, I would agree with you only if you said we promote our identity as a nation through cultures and diversity. Meanwhile, I can't wait for 50 years(I would have had some grey hairs by then) to experience change and my generation would have contributed nothing important. Like Professor Wole Soyinka said, "I belong to the wasted generation of Nigerians". So, I don't want to be part of wasted generation though.

Why I used the words "Irresponsible African Laws" is that we Africans seem to view everything modern as inimical to our culture rather this held idea is detrimental to the sanity of the path to modern development. The African proffered solutions have not come close to find a better ways not free of oppression , to getting us out of the backwardness we experience daily in all areas of life.  So, I think culture has to come second when talking about modernization - develop and culture will find its way in when we succeeded.
Re: 1999 Constitution: FG Plans 50 Sections For Amendment by NegroNtns(m): 4:24pm On Aug 05, 2011

all4naija:
^^^^

All4naija,

A wind-down process of dissolution is best. I read somewhere on here where ekt_bear alluded to a 20yr/50% resource retention. Good idea!

As I said earlier, when it comes to successful and war-free models of dissolution, the landscape is limited and our monkey-see/monkey-do penchant is handicapped.

This is a challenge and one we ought to scale through easily given our bragging rights of producing high grade intellectuals of global standard. Its time for originality in an area of life that is fundamental to our survival. There is nothing we can borrow from anywhere that will solve this problem we have because there is no wherelse like us. We are unique in our make up, we understand what we have and far more intimate with our desires to break free and create a unique and outstanding structure that departs from everything else we don't like and hate about our past. Per chance if we are successful at it our own creation might become a gold standard of sort for other nations up the timeline of history and nation building.

On the issue of our precolonial society and what you called "irresponsible African laws", what you judge irresponsible in our laws was far better than what the Europeans that conquered us had in that age of their culture. If our Africa had remained in hands of natives as Europe has and we were never occupied and you fast forward the two cultures to this age, 2011, we would be the civilization they look upto and copy for ideas. So don't dismiss the African laws in totality. I do agree that some elements of it do not need to be reawakened for modern application but there are far more benefits in its originality and essence to our nature than a foreign philosophy of Europen origin that we stagnantly exist under.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opinion: Now That The Niger-Delta Want To Secede From Nigeria / Don’t Allow Looters Hijack 2019 Elections, ANN Olawepo Hashim Urges Nigerians / What Are The Contributions Of Each Region Partcularly The Se to the country?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 251
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.