Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem (56693 Views)

I Look Older Than My Age And It Is Really Affecting My Self Esteem / How I Extracted My Damaged Tooth (graphics Photos) / A Healthy Liver Vs A Liver Damaged By Alcohol (Disturbing Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 10:00am On Aug 09, 2022
Good morning nairalanders. I don't want to bore you with details. The issue is I had an accident early last year and because of this and my type of skin, I was left with Keloid scars in some parts of my body when the wounds healed which include my two hands, back and legs. ( Pictures uploaded) Before the accident, I used to love swimming and taking off my shirt etc.

But now I can't do it anymore in public because of various questions people normally ask which I'm tired of answering. Now I don't take off my shirt in public or go swimming anymore and I'm now more of an introvert.

Please how can I regain my confidence I had before the accident and be free with people again. ( Full pictures attached)

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Richy4(m): 10:53am On Aug 09, 2022
I don't want to turn to a motivational speaker... But we all have scars.. some are emotional and some are physical.. it's part of what makes individuals who they are... Their stories, their history is what makes them thick..

The last time I checked, people still die of bike accident..I attended a funeral in our church 9 months ago of a 24yr old.. He was white..
I never liked to attend funerals but there was no one to livestream it for those wishing to watch online, and the mother is a strong member and poor me have to put up with unhappy faces for 2hours..

Now imagine how the sea of faces that attended that funeral would have lightened up including the mother and that girlfriend of his who couldn't stop crying assuming he survived with your kind of scars... U should be proud of yourself that u are alive.. not the opposite...

Get a wingman, storm any public swimming pool of your choice, pull off your shirt and splash the water buddy... U were given a second chance..

557 Likes 34 Shares

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Hardy123(m): 11:09am On Aug 09, 2022
Richy4:
I don't want to turn to a motivational speaker... But we all have scars.. some are emotional and some are physical.. it's part of what makes individuals who they are... Their stories, their history is what makes them thick..

The last time I checked, people still die of bike accident..I attended a funeral in our church 9 months ago of a 24yr old.. He was white..
I never liked to attend funerals but there was no one to livestream it for those wishing to watch online, and the mother is a strong member and poor me have to put up with unhappy faces for 2hours..

Now imagine how the sea of faces that attended that funeral would have lightened up including the mother and that girlfriend of his who couldn't stop crying assuming he survived with your kind of scars... U should be proud of yourself that u are alive.. not the opposite...

Get a wingman, storm any public swimming pool of your choice, pull off your shirt and splash the water buddy... U were given a second chance..

This is very comforting sir. Op I hope you have heard. You nailed it

205 Likes 15 Shares

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 11:14am On Aug 09, 2022
Richy4:

God bless you sir. I feel alot better with this. Thanks alot

160 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Blue86(m): 11:59am On Aug 09, 2022
I will also add to the comment of the man before me. In addy to appreciation, develop muscles. Who go look scars when packs dey ground?

25 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 12:12pm On Aug 09, 2022
Blue86:
I will also add to the comment of the man before me. In addy to appreciation, develop muscles. Who go look scars when packs dey ground?
Really? You have a point sha. I'll register in a gym soon

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 7:36pm On Aug 09, 2022
Thanks y'all. Feel much better now

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by mardis: 10:21pm On Aug 09, 2022
Hit the gym bro, focus and make money. Who dey look scars nowadays?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Truvelisback(m): 4:45am On Aug 10, 2022
Matrix137:
Good morning nairalanders. I don't want to bore you with details. The issue is I had an accident early last year and because of this and my type of skin, I was left with Keloid scars in some parts of my body when the wounds healed which include my two hands, back and legs. ( Pictures uploaded) Before the accident, I used to love swimming and taking off my shirt etc. But now I can't do it anymore in public because of various questions people normally ask which I'm tired of answering. Now I don't take off my shirt in public or go swimming anymore and I'm now more of an introvert. Please how can I regain my confidence I had before the accident and be free with people again. ( Full pictures attached)
Use snake oil to get rid of those keloids. They will become flat like tyre.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Richy4(m): 10:51am On Aug 10, 2022
Matrix137:
God bless you sir. I feel alot better with this. Thanks alot

No problems buddy.. Also see what I found online just in case if you are interested...I don't know if it will work but u got nothing to loose if u try..

What are ways to get rid of keloids?
Depending on appearance, some people may want to get rid of the keloids they have.

There are a few ways to do this. You can try a few of these home methods first before contacting a dermatologist for prescription or over-the-counter approaches.

Home remedies
Aspirin

A 2013 review and a 2015 study Trusted Source suggest that the topical use of aspirin pills may help treat keloids. Research found that aspirin prevents scar-promoting cells from entering the keloid site when applied. This way, both pigmentation and keloid size are reduced.

To try this remedy:

Crush three to four aspirin tablets.
Mix them with enough water to form a paste.
Apply them to the keloid or wound site. Let it sit for an hour or two, then rinse.
Repeat once every day until desired results are achieved.
Garlic

This root vegetable works much like aspirin, according to a 2011 dermatology reportTrusted Source. It blocks certain enzymes from entering the site that contribute to tissue and pigment buildup. Over time, application may help lighten scars.

To use this method:

Take two to three fresh garlic cloves and crush them.
Apply to the keloid area and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
Wash off with water and apply moisturizer.
Discontinue use or reduce application time if the garlic burns your skin.
Honey

Honey contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce keloids. Honey was mentioned in a 2015 review for its healing potential with keloids specifically. It’s an appealing natural alternative without potential harmful side effects found in corticosteroids or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin.

For this method:

Dab a bit of raw honey — organic honey is recommended — on the site. Let it sit.
Rinse off later if the site gets sticky.
Reapply as often as needed. It’s recommended that you use it at least two to three times per day until you get your desired results.
Onion

Quite a few studies support the use of onion for keloids. A 2013 study found that the use of onion extract stopped fibroblasts — the cells that produce the scar tissue — from entering the skin.

Another study in 2012 found onion extract gel sped healing and reduced scar height. In a 2011 trial Trusted Source, it reduced pigmentation. This is most likely due to its quercetin content, a flavonol with antioxidant properties.

To use this remedy:

Cut a small onion into small pieces. A red, white, or yellow is fine to use.
Squeeze out the juice by compressing it with a clean cloth.
Apply the juice to the keloid area and let it sit until dry.
Rinse. Apply three to four times per day until you see your desired results.
Medical treatments
Retinoid cream

Retinoid cream is a derivative of vitamin A, or retinol. Much like natural remedies such as garlic or onion, the cream has been clinically proven Trusted Source to reduce keloid appearance.

Make sure to follow the directions on the retinoid cream product you purchase.

Silicone

Silicone gel or sheets may be a go-to recommendation from your doctor. A 2013 trial Trusted Source found them just as effective as retinoid cream. Follow instructions or directions on the silicone product you purchase, or those given by your doctor.

Steroid injections

Injections of steroidal anti-inflammatories have been known to help with keloids. However, these have been shown to be more effective following major treatment for keloids. This includes surgical scar removal, laser treatment, and more, as noted in a 2014 study Trusted Source.

A combination of different injected steroids has also been shown to be more successful in a 2012 analysis Trusted Source. An 80 percent recurrence rate was reported, however. Talk to your doctor about using injected steroids in combination with surgery, laser removal, or other operations.
https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-keloids#treatments

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 9:22pm On Aug 10, 2022
Richy4:

No problems buddy.. Also see what I found online just in case if you are interested...I don't know if it will work but u got nothing to loose if u try..

What are ways to get rid of keloids?
Depending on appearance, some people may want to get rid of the keloids they have.

There are a few ways to do this. You can try a few of these home methods first before contacting a dermatologist for prescription or over-the-counter approaches.

Home remedies
Aspirin

A 2013 review and a 2015 study Trusted Source suggest that the topical use of aspirin pills may help treat keloids. Research found that aspirin prevents scar-promoting cells from entering the keloid site when applied. This way, both pigmentation and keloid size are reduced.

To try this remedy:

Crush three to four aspirin tablets.
Mix them with enough water to form a paste.
Apply them to the keloid or wound site. Let it sit for an hour or two, then rinse.
Repeat once every day until desired results are achieved.
Garlic

This root vegetable works much like aspirin, according to a 2011 dermatology reportTrusted Source. It blocks certain enzymes from entering the site that contribute to tissue and pigment buildup. Over time, application may help lighten scars.

To use this method:

Take two to three fresh garlic cloves and crush them.
Apply to the keloid area and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
Wash off with water and apply moisturizer.
Discontinue use or reduce application time if the garlic burns your skin.
Honey

Honey contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce keloids. Honey was mentioned in a 2015 review for its healing potential with keloids specifically. It’s an appealing natural alternative without potential harmful side effects found in corticosteroids or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin.

For this method:

Dab a bit of raw honey — organic honey is recommended — on the site. Let it sit.
Rinse off later if the site gets sticky.
Reapply as often as needed. It’s recommended that you use it at least two to three times per day until you get your desired results.
Onion

Quite a few studies support the use of onion for keloids. A 2013 study found that the use of onion extract stopped fibroblasts — the cells that produce the scar tissue — from entering the skin.

Another study in 2012 found onion extract gel sped healing and reduced scar height. In a 2011 trial Trusted Source, it reduced pigmentation. This is most likely due to its quercetin content, a flavonol with antioxidant properties.

To use this remedy:

Cut a small onion into small pieces. A red, white, or yellow is fine to use.
Squeeze out the juice by compressing it with a clean cloth.
Apply the juice to the keloid area and let it sit until dry.
Rinse. Apply three to four times per day until you see your desired results.
Medical treatments
Retinoid cream

Retinoid cream is a derivative of vitamin A, or retinol. Much like natural remedies such as garlic or onion, the cream has been clinically proven Trusted Source to reduce keloid appearance.

Make sure to follow the directions on the retinoid cream product you purchase.

Silicone

Silicone gel or sheets may be a go-to recommendation from your doctor. A 2013 trial Trusted Source found them just as effective as retinoid cream. Follow instructions or directions on the silicone product you purchase, or those given by your doctor.

Steroid injections

Injections of steroidal anti-inflammatories have been known to help with keloids. However, these have been shown to be more effective following major treatment for keloids. This includes surgical scar removal, laser treatment, and more, as noted in a 2014 study Trusted Source.

A combination of different injected steroids has also been shown to be more successful in a 2012 analysis Trusted Source. An 80 percent recurrence rate was reported, however. Talk to your doctor about using injected steroids in combination with surgery, laser removal, or other operations.
https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-keloids#treatments
Thanks Soo much for this

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Freelane33(m): 9:46pm On Aug 10, 2022
Matrix137:
Good morning nairalanders. I don't want to bore you with details. The issue is I had an accident early last year and because of this and my type of skin, I was left with Keloid scars in some parts of my body when the wounds healed which include my two hands, back and legs. ( Pictures uploaded) Before the accident, I used to love swimming and taking off my shirt etc. But now I can't do it anymore in public because of various questions people normally ask which I'm tired of answering. Now I don't take off my shirt in public or go swimming anymore and I'm now more of an introvert. Please how can I regain my confidence I had before the accident and be free with people again. ( Full pictures attached)
Learn to start loving the stranger who was your former self . People will accept you for who you are and what you are ,only if you accept yourself .if you feel you’re ugly with the keloid then you are and if u feel you’re cute with it then you are .

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 11:59pm On Aug 10, 2022
mardis:
Hit the gym bro, focus and make money. Who dey look scars nowadays?
I get alot of questions from people and stares anytime I remove my shirt in public
Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by TeppyTherapy: 1:22pm On Aug 11, 2022
On the day General Abacha died, I injured myself celebrating and developed this huge keloid on my back that defied all treatment, both traditional and modern.

I just decided to ignore it eventually and when people ask, I say it's a knife wound from confronting thieves, when they say "wow", I then tell them the truth.

Thing is, scars make you interesting. If you now gym and add muscle mass, you'd even look more intimidating to guys and enticing to the ladies.

My keloid? During Covid-19 lockdown, it just decides to melt on its own.

Your scars are a reminder that you are a man of miracles. Own it.

18 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Matrix137(m): 4:08pm On Aug 17, 2022
TeppyTherapy:
On the day General Abacha died, I injured myself celebrating and developed this huge keloid on my back that defied all treatment, both traditional and modern.

I just decided to ignore it eventually and when people ask, I say it's a knife wound from confronting thieves, when they say "wow", I then tell them the truth.

Thing is, scars make you interesting. If you now gym and add muscle mass, you'd even look more intimidating to guys and enticing to the ladies.

My keloid? During Covid-19 lockdown, it just decides to melt on its own.

Your scars are a reminder that you are a man of miracles. Own it.
Amazing. Lovely testimony. God bless you

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Moshybear(f): 4:55pm On Aug 17, 2022
Kenalog injection can take care of the Keloid easily

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by wunmi590(m): 5:47pm On Apr 27, 2023

Somebody created a thread to seek help since August, 2022 and this is April 2023, and thread is just hiting front page...

How do we know if the OP haven't gotten the needed help he needs...

Lubbish

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Xlogistics(m): 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2023
Ok
Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Dialpad: 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2023
Go for HIV test
Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Kounlekuti(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
Omoor
Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by laurel03(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
Your Keloid small... And dont try to operate it in Nigeria. My own was small until i did the operation years back and come back in triple. Seriously u no get Keloid.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by AwkaFinest: 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2023
Just appreciate your body. That's your skin type. Even if you remove those hypertrophic scars surgically, there's no guarantee that they'll never grow back or another one will not grow from another spot from future injuries.

Hypertrophic scars are common with the Negroid race.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Abolodje: 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2023
Just get cannabis CBD oil man and you will notice gradual improvement albeit slowly.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by LordBillionz: 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2023
Richy4:

The first positive thing I saw on Nairaland today. God bless you sir.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by NOETHNICITY(m): 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2023
But why would someone wanna take off his shirt in public

1 Like

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by PulaPower: 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2023
Sorry..

Visit those herbs women to help you prepare the Ghana soap for it..
Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Voiceofthestree: 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2023
There is something that will remove this thing I swear you no go spend Shi Shi but I won’t give you for free coz nah research make me self no my brother have the same from fire burn this is why I get to know Omo God create us with problems and the solution

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Mitchy49(m): 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
Hey!
You no get problems I swear. So after all the whole wahala for NIGERIA, na dis small issue u dey tink of? Hunger never wire u yet. U dey smoke igbo

1 Like

Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by money121(m): 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
Ok
Re: How Do I Rebuild My Damaged Self Esteem by Iretekhale(m): 5:56pm On Apr 27, 2023
This is nothing my brother with your money it can be easily remove, just go to any spal specialist around you and I less than (30) minutes with will be over.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Probability Of Contracting 6 Most Common Stds In One Sexual Encounter. / Scissors Removed From Stomach Of Sierra Leonean Lady After 7 Years / 6 People With Extra Body Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.