Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? (13206 Views)

Onovo Describes Buhari’s Government As Nigeria’s Greatest Danger Since 1960 / 5 Most Handsome Nigerian Presidents Since 1960(photos) / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by davidif: 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2016
Duru1:

Bros mentally of the people makes great differences in socio-politico-economic advancement. Africans do not think but feel. It is inherent and shows on African continent.

But that is victim blaming now.

Nigeria's problem is leadership. Leadership goes a very long way in fixing a lot of things.

How do you go round a country of over 180 million people and tell them individually to change their mentality or their nature? Do you sit down with each and everyone of them and tell them to change their ways or you simply go to the top and change the economic policies that have bound the people for decades allowing them not to flourish. How about changing the political system that encourages patronage like the concept of federal allocation?
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Duru1(m): 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2016
davidif:

Nigeria's problem is leadership. Leadership goes a very long way in fixing a lot of things.

How do you go round a country of over 180 million people and tell them individually to change their mentality or their nature? Do you sit down with each and everyone of them and tell them to change their ways or you simply go to the top and change the economic policies that have bound the people for decades allowing them not to flourish. How about changing the political system that encourages patronage like the concept of federal allocation?

How do you get to the leadership? You cannot talk about leadership without the people or the society. I guess you should agree that Nigerian society produced the problematic leadership hence the issue lies with the society. Lion does not produce Deer. It is unfortunate that Africans tend to put too much weight on the leadership.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Blue3k(m): 8:01pm On Nov 24, 2016
davidif:

Sorry my man society breads the guys. The same society that burns market thief but won't touch a politician. The curruption and theft can be as obvious as day and night with no outcry. Just look at Kebbi governor open bribing state assembly with state funds.

http://www.nationalhelm.net/2016/11/kebbi-gov-presents-brand-new-cars-worth.html

I do agree with second half . I personally think the war on curruption not that sincere. If it was they would be a few convictions especially when it so blatant and widespread. He can't even get police to stop taking like bribes at check points.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by davidif: 8:04pm On Nov 24, 2016
Blue3k:

Sorry my man society breads the guys. The same society that burns market thief but won't touch a politician. The curruption and theft can be as obvious as day and night with no outcry. Just look at Kebbi governor open bribing state assembly with state funds.

http://www.nationalhelm.net/2016/11/kebbi-gov-presents-brand-new-cars-worth.html

I do agree with second half . I personally think the war on curruption not that sincere. If it was they would be a few convictions especially when it so blatant and widespread. He can't even get police to stop taking like bribes at check points.

So you mean that the only way Nigeria would change is when someone goes round and seats down with all the citizens of this country and tells them to change their mentality that Nigeria can progress? How practical is that?
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by davidif: 8:08pm On Nov 24, 2016
Duru1:

How do you get to the leadership? You cannot talk about leadership without the people or the society. I guess you should agree that Nigerian society produced the problematic leadership hence the issue lies with the society. Lion does not produce Deer. It is unfortunate that Africans tend to put too much weight on the leadership.

So what you are saying is that for change to occur in Nigeria that you have to go round the entire country and somehow, some way change the mindset of all 180 million or so people in the country? How practical is that?

Somethings sound real good on paper but when you think of how to make them a reality it's another ball game completely.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Blue3k(m): 8:12pm On Nov 24, 2016
davidif:

So you mean that the only way Nigeria would change is when someone goes round and seats down with all the citizens of this country and tells them to change their mentality that Nigeria can progress? How practical is that?

That's not what I said at all. I said the society bred these devils. Intellectual change start at home. Then ideas get pooular from vocal minority . Then permeates rest of society till it becomes the norm culture.

The point is for citezens to care about themselves. Hence why I brought up when the burn thieves to death. If they demand change and hold leaders responsible they will get results.

The reforms you mention I agree and advcoate for it. Even a few ideas you bring up. Like localizing the important decisions (judges, head of police, etc). Right now we're vocal minority on nairaland.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by davidif: 8:16pm On Nov 24, 2016
Blue3k:

That's not what I said at all. I said the society bred these devils. Intellectual change start at home. Then ideas get pooular from vocal minority . Then permeates rest of society till it becomes the norm culture.

So how long are we talking here for this to come to fruition?

Also, how can I go to someone house and tell them what to teach their kids? How is that going to work?
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Blue3k(m): 8:26pm On Nov 24, 2016
davidif:

So how long are we talking here for this to come to fruition?

Also, how can I go to someone house and tell them what to teach their kids? How is that going to work?

Counter culture usually takes 8-10 years but Internet and social media speeds up trend faster then ever before. Lastly popular ideas in politics take longer then it does in politics since they are last to understand change.

You can tell people your opinion it's free country. If your points make sense they will agree. Then they will pass down principles themselves.

Northern politicians fight for federal allocation system instead of reform. They are dying bread. The person who told me about the issue first was a person from Kaduna.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/sultan-joins-national-question-debate-restructuring-nigeria-needs/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/restructuring-nigeria-yoruba-agenda-yakasai/
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by davidif: 8:38pm On Nov 24, 2016
Blue3k:

Counter culture usually takes 8-10 years but Internet and social media speeds up trend faster then ever before. Lastly popular ideas in politics take longer then it does in politics since they are last to understand change.

You can tell people your opinion it's free country. If your points make sense they will agree. Then they will pass down principles themselves.

So wait, if I am hearing you correctly, you want me to go change people's minds when I have not even changed my neighbor's heart? If teachers, pastors and imams have not been able to do it, you think the internet (assuming most Nigerians have access to it) would be able to accomplish the same thing?
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Blue3k(m): 8:55pm On Nov 24, 2016
davidif:

So wait, if I am hearing you correctly, you want me to go change people's minds when I have not even changed my neighbor's heart? If teachers, pastors and imams have not been able to do it, you think the internet (assuming most Nigerians have access to it) would be able to accomplish the same thing?

Your points are good. I don't understand why you don't think you could do it. Maybe a see more potential in your words then you do.

Im not saying to go out and be an activist. It's minority that gets change done. Usually 10% or less of population from what I heard. Besides if your afraid to speak to neighbor how do you speak to powerful politicians.

Why wouldn't internet be able to do it? It does everywhere else. The people you listed haven't advocated for reforms you mentioned. Im sure it will work but can't test theory till they do though.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by ourema(f): 10:31pm On Nov 24, 2016
Very sensible contributions but I think the problem with Africa and Nigeria is a mental problem rather than anything else
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by hopefulLandlord: 3:51pm On Jan 06, 2017
ourema:
Very sensible contributions but I think the problem with Africa and Nigeria is a mental problem rather than anything else

hmmm
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by davidif: 5:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
okadaman2:
It seems this Ekt_bear character is always seeking for knowledge, trying to understand and fix things, it's sad your leaders are not nearly as deep as some of you guys on here are.

My take: We lacked philosopher leaders, now, that can't explain everything, but the fact remains that we'd been unfortunate enough to be blessed/cursed with minions and shallow leaders since 1960 at least.

A lot has been said about the engineers and techicians that built China and some SEA countries as opposed to the Lawyers and philosophers that founded America. but if we look closely enough we will find that the philosophical ideologies of those Asian leaders were sound, from the visionary but Brutal Mao to the smart  and milder Deng Xiaoping. Even Lee Kuan, a lawyer , obviously had a deep grasp of history and the keen eyes of a visionary philosopher-leader.

If Lee Kuan was a Nigerian leader he probably wld've been too shallow think of ways to tear down an unworkable union, but he was visionary enough to work for the dismantling and a subsequent re-arrangement of his country. South East Asia is where it is today because leaders were willing to confront the hard questions and radically tackle them.

Nigeria is probably lagging behind because our leaders are scared of confronting the radical, hard questions. I may be wrong, but I'm always right.

Okada_man don tock hin own. Good thread.

Stop right there! Did you just say that Chairman Mao's "philosophical ideology" was sound? (by the way, the word philosophical ideology is redundant, you dont need to use both words, one of them will do)
Sound as in an epic disaster that set his country back years? Sound as in his responsible for the death of 50 million or so of his people?
Chei! Wetin person no go read for nairaland.
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by urahara(m): 4:54pm On Feb 15, 2019
longman83:
Interesting thread.

Lee Kuan Yew in his book From Third World to First mentioned at the start of this thread, recounts encounters with African leaders, including those that occurred during a Commonwealth conference hosted in Lagos in early January 1966. Perhaps we can find therein a few clues to our predicament - from his perspective, at least:

[/tt]
Yew, From Third World to First, Harper-Collins, pp 352.

Further on, he makes some controversial statements reflecting on the conference:
[tt]

pp 357, From Third World to First.

. daaaaaaaiiiiiimmmmmmnn
Re: Where Did Nigeria And Africa Go Wrong Since 1960? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2019
okadaman2:
It seems this Ekt_bear character is always seeking for knowledge, trying to understand and fix things, it's sad your leaders are not nearly as deep as some of you guys on here are.

My take: We lacked philosopher leaders, now, that can't explain everything, but the fact remains that we'd been unfortunate enough to be blessed/cursed with minions and shallow leaders since 1960 at least.

A lot has been said about the engineers and techicians that built China and some SEA countries as opposed to the Lawyers and philosophers that founded America. but if we look closely enough we will find that the philosophical ideologies of those Asian leaders were sound, from the visionary but Brutal Mao to the smart  and milder Deng Xiaoping. Even Lee Kuan, a lawyer , obviously had a deep grasp of history and the keen eyes of a visionary philosopher-leader.

If Lee Kuan was a Nigerian leader he probably wld've been too shallow think of ways to tear down an unworkable union, but he was visionary enough to work for the dismantling and a subsequent re-arrangement of his country. South East Asia is where it is today because leaders were willing to confront the hard questions and radically tackle them.

Nigeria is probably lagging behind because our leaders are scared of confronting the radical, hard questions. I may be wrong, but I'm always right.

Okada_man don tock hin own. Good thread.

Because there are too many CONFUSED people in the Country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fear Of Defeat Behind Buhari’s Refusal To Sign Electoral Act Amendment / PDM Candidate Asks Tribunal To Void Buhari’s Victory, Order Fresh Poll / Nigeria Has No $875 Miilion Arms Deal With US – Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.