Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,813 members, 7,817,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship (27900 Views)

2023: INEC Denies Allegation Of Partisanship / 2023 Census: NPC Warns Enumerators, Staffers Against Partisanship, Laxity / Why I Left Osinbajo Support Groups, By Funke Cole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by emkz: 6:53am On Aug 10, 2022
Arise TV, owned by Prince Nduka Obaigbena is fast becoming one medium that panders to mediocrity and shows signs of partisanship truly unbecoming of an organisation that prides itself as representing Africa’s finest amongst the global media.

Majority of the presenters of the station’s popular magazine programmes like The Morning Show, Prime Time News, including Dr. Reuben Abati, ever rambunctious Oseni Rufai, and Charles Aniagolu, to mention just a few, certainly deserve mention here (no pun intended).

While I may not be persuaded to do a character portraiture on these individuals, I want to state rather unequivocally here that by their actions and inactions they have willynilly become bad representation of the brand they’re trying desperately to package for the public.

In a few of these programmes where these three musketeers make appearances as they often do, you can almost hazard a guess about their political leanings, affiliations and biases as the case may be.

More often than not they mask their actions under the guise of providing scrutiny, setting agenda for public discourse but behind that veneer of defending the so-called public trust they’re really serving the captive audiences what in my view is a cocktail of half truths, and very nuanced viewpoints which not only shows the TV patrons as suffering from collective myopia but further manifest barefaced partisanship, schisms and acting from the narrow prisms of their paymasters, who can guarantee where the next meal will come from.

In what has become their regular stock-in-trade, last Monday’s appearances bear eloquent testimony to my earlier preamble about what the cable television has become:

During The Morning Show, Rufai, apparently overwhelmed with giddy emotion’s was at his best when he engaged Major-General IBM Haruna(rtd). You could tell from his usual braggadocio that he was trying to force words into the mouth of his guest when he began to harangue President Muhammadu Buhari, describing the latter in a very deriding manner.

An untrained mind, not so discerning would have fallen for that clap trap generation of reprobates, and jaundiced critics but thankfully, IBM Haruna, who himself understands the power of sophistry didn’t take all the shiit lying down.

Like the true General he was he didn’t let down his guard one bit. He saw through Rufai’s pretences and was able to use a tenor of communication that suited the situation.

Enter Aniagolu. During the edition of the Prime Time News, he began what could be termed an unnecessary backgrounding skewed largely in favour of his preferred presidential candidate.

Playing the judge and jury all at once, he complained about misgovernance, bad leadership under the present administration and prayed the electorate comprising the over 90million registered voters according to the INEC records to go out and vote for his candidate: of course, Peter Obi. And wait for this: his first guest in the show, Dike Chukwumerije, the performance poet and lawyer was also cleverly used by Aniagolu to further drive home his earlier points earnestly. He practically teleguided the poet all through the interface and discussion session so much so that you would think the program was meant to be a political campaign rally for Peter Obi.

This is not how to run a television station, really. I think Obaigbena and his ilks need to learn, unlearn and relearn the ethics of broadcasting.

In that wise, I urge the National Broadcasting Commission to look at the programmes of Arise TV with a fine tooth comb so as to rescue the TV from the claws of these individuals, who if given the opportunity wouldn’t hesitate to turn Nigerians against themselves just for their own selfish ends.

I beseech the NBC to give this issue a serious thought. This is because the Arise TV and its team are trying to take Nigeria through the Rwanda route. Recall the Rwanda genocide where thousands of lives were decimated as a result of ethnic clashes. The media fueled that war. Never again shall we witness such human catastrophe as happened in Rwanda.

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2022/08/09/arise-tv-needs-to-rise-above-mediocrity-partisanship/?amp=1

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by FunkyAlhaji2015: 6:58am On Aug 10, 2022
To me, AriseTV is the only media agency that truly represents the voice of the oppressed Nigerians. They are the only media outlet that does not pamper corrupt politicians and their sympathisers. They are never afraid to ask the difficult and embarrassing questions to our unscrupulous ruling class. Every media outlet should be as fearless AriseTV and should never be cowed by politicians and elites. Thumbs up to AriseTV.

470 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 10, 2022
K

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by God1000(m): 6:58am On Aug 10, 2022
Media Houses should do away with certain political analysts and social commentators for their own good.

I don't listen to radio and TV shows that are biased and prejudicial.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by temitope27(m): 6:58am On Aug 10, 2022
A

1 Like

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Atarakpa: 6:59am On Aug 10, 2022
Arise and be tinubus.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Ololanla: 6:59am On Aug 10, 2022
There is nothing wrong with what Arise TV is doing..... Truth is better.

237 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by mrkings84(m): 7:00am On Aug 10, 2022
Them go green?

Meanwhile, abeg I want ask a question.
Abeg, does APC have a special market where it members and supporters go for shopping?
Like where they buy a tin of peak milk for 150 naira, a tube of yam for 300, a bottle of palm oil for 400, a custard bucket of garri for 500, where they exchange a dollar for 200 naira, where they eat good meal in a restaurant for 300, where they buy all the basic articles that their prices has Trippled in past 7 years for normal price?

Pls if there's, someone should help me with the addresses. Whether it's in the North or South, East or West I will go there.

I am just curious to know cos if there's no where like that, and yet all of us are suffering this untold hardship together yet some people still want to install the APC/PDP in power come 2023, then I will say we deserve 10 times this hardship.
But God will not allow that.

Pls guys, let's have a rethink and try a new face in the person of PO.
Seems this is our last hope of survival and redeeming our country from outright destruction.

Thanks.

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Fkmodhi: 7:00am On Aug 10, 2022
Arise tv we know, tvc is even worst...

170 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by emmanuelbrown26: 7:00am On Aug 10, 2022
i didnt watch it, but from waiting I read, dis writer suppose know say on d land of d blind na only one person wey get one eye bi d King. Since other TV stations dun decide to be useless, na only Arise TV still dey use full for d masses or bcs Obi name was mentioned na waiting dey pepper dis op.
Op many Radio and TV stations no dey operate 24hours again all bcs of una govt and people wey bring am cum. Anyway, waiting I know bi say bubu still get an u finish business in naija I go only vote if bubu fit come out again, so that all our eyes go clear.

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by PropertyNR: 7:00am On Aug 10, 2022
Partisanship?
It only appears partisan because the person they are interviewing doesn't know what to say.
Yes. they ask the tough questions and sometime over do it.
But I think that reflects on all their interviews.

Try and watch Rufai's interviews with Peter Obi. Sometime he asks him the same question 4 times to ensure he answer.

128 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Promisesmiling(m): 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
Information is key no be for who them give fake information..

One way or another it difficult to seperate man from bias. It could be brought to a minimum but never out of the question

10 Likes

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by lloydtruth: 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
Because they refused to play balls with APC?

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by xpiranza88: 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
Ok.

1 Like

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by BlueRayDick: 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
Nothing to see here.

Funke Cole writes for The Nation newspaper owned by Tinubu, she also writes for PM News owned by Tinubu's close ally.

It's understandable Arise TV makes her principals uncomfortable with what they do. See her calling for NBC casually for their intervention because they are not dancing to the tune of her principals like other media stations are doing....smh

What these people don't know is most people who now watch Arise TV do so because of the good job they did during the ENDSARS protests covering the whole protest and even the bloodbath that ended the protest as influenced by state actors. It was on Arise TV we watched survivors being interviewed the next day; one of the interviewers gave account of how he had to dive into the water to escape soldiers' bullet who still shot at him while in the waters.

Some of us will keep holding Arise TV in high esteem, higher than dem NTA, Channels and Co.....except they do the ultimate of revoking their broadcast licence ( which of course will show the true colors of the ruling class that they do not want to entertain any form of Criticism)

147 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by ajekpaks(m): 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by babyfaceafrica: 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
Very True

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by DWJOBScom(m): 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
They have come again o
Dear Writer and Posting OP
Your points are disjointed and not straightforward.
Attributing your observation to Rwanda genocide based on politics is quite wicked.
Your love for a political party or politician shouldn't be more than your love for Nigeria.
Woo , God will deliver this Country whether you all like it or not.
Honest men and women will be courageous and stand!
Thank you

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by mach7(m): 7:01am On Aug 10, 2022
It is high time the NBC intervened.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by granuloma: 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
O

1 Like

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by emmanwandud(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
Constructive criticism that’s journalism,

20 Likes

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by babyfaceafrica: 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
Fkmodhi:
Arise is PDP, TVC is apc.. What's the difference?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by desiredmee(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
When a discussion or conversation doesn't go your way you term it biased...Well done

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Starseed(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
The govt is not favouring this one. He is crying fowl. Give him #1,000 now, he will praise AriseTV

Sapa don hold am

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by mach7(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
Fkmodhi:
There is nothing worst about TVC. Don't play the game of deflections.

TVC is quite balanced and doesn't harangue guests who come on their show or try to force their opinions down the throat others.

TVC Breakfast, Your View and This Morning are very very balanced shows. Except you don't watch TVC then you can be making false assumptions.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by Sltp: 7:02am On Aug 10, 2022
Shame on you Funke Cole

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by ivolt: 7:03am On Aug 10, 2022
Says APC women leader.
If you don't want to be questioned, don't accept or request for live interview.

One delusional and selfish general was reported to have denied any form of insecurity going
on in the country because he and the people he knows are safe.

As time goes on, Nigerians will start seeing great value in adversarial journalism because
it is the only means of exposing mediocre, illogical and incompetent personalties.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Cole: Arise TV Needs To Rise Above Mediocrity, Partisanship by BeardGangJnr1(m): 7:03am On Aug 10, 2022
I don't know about the rest, but That Useni Guy....is very rude and proud....Mr I'll call the govono undecided

14 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Commissions Ecumenical Centre Built By Wike, Patience Attends / Niger: APC Supporters Throng Minna/suleja Road For Bello, Buhari / Uduak-joe Ntuk Appointed By Gavin Newsom, Governor of California

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.