Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends (2423 Views)

There Were Three Friends, They Were Olive, / Planes, Trains And Plantains: The Story Of Oedipus / the three Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by obiscolly(m): 9:59am On Aug 04, 2011
3 friends went to buy a clock and they contributed $20 each for the $60 clock. Later the shop keeper discovered it was for $50 and sent a servant to return them $10. The servant unable to divide 10 among the 3 keeps $4 for himself and gives them $2 each. So now each friend's expenditure is $18 only, $18 X 3=54, so $54 given by the friends and $4 with the servant, total=54+4=58. where did the remaining $2 go?? grin
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by yusuf2(m): 1:02pm On Aug 04, 2011
first of all, this is in the wrong section undecided

Pardon my use of Financial terms, i'm not an accountant, but i think i can give u an answer though

i want to believe an accurate book keeping record is achieved when (Credit - Debit = 0) or the other way round, not sure which is correct, hence the basis for my answer

Credit part : (buyers end)
(amt each of them initial contributed - amount returned to each by servant) x 3 = ($20 - $2) x 3 = ($18 x 3)= $54

Debit part : (sellers end)
(Cost of Clock + Amount pocketed by Servant) = ($50 + $4) = $54

since, credit - debit = 0 , $54 - $54 = 0 *there is no missing $2*
there's no mathematical calculation that wld explain where that $2 has gone, it all boils down to the fact that as long as the buyers are not aware of the $4 pocketed by the servant, then everything is fine !

This is how some accountants Get rich overnight.  shocked , Hence the need for Auditors.  cool
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by Sophizzy(f): 4:17pm On Aug 04, 2011
Can someone seriously answer this riddle please. Its almost given me a migrane.
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by bighead1(m): 8:19pm On Aug 04, 2011
boring but yet interesting calculations involved.,
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 04, 2011
there is no missing money, this riddle is the same as the 1Naira missing or the hotel riddle.
you are getting confused because of the mix up.

here it goes again so that you may understand it:

18 times 3= 54 here is where the miscalculation happens>>>> 54 MINUS 4=50
how can you add the 4 to the money that is owe to them, you should substract it! or isnt that money part of the repayment?!
remember now they are owed 54 NOT 60 (since they got 2 each) so clock 50+4=54

here is the exact same problem on that LONG thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-723169.0.html
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by obiscolly(m): 8:59am On Aug 05, 2011
yusuf_@:

first of all, this is in the wrong section undecided

Pardon my use of Financial terms, i'm not an accountant, but i think i can give u an answer though

i want to believe an accurate book keeping record is achieved when (Credit - Debit = 0) or the other way round, not sure which is correct, hence the basis for my answer

Credit part : (buyers end)
(amt each of them initial contributed - amount returned to each by servant) x 3 = ($20 - $2) x 3 = ($18 x 3)= $54

Debit part : (sellers end)
(Cost of Clock + Amount pocketed by Servant) = ($50 + $4) = $54

since, credit - debit = 0 , $54 - $54 = 0 *there is no missing $2*
there's no mathematical calculation that wld explain where that $2 has gone, it all boils down to the fact that as long as the buyers are not aware of the $4 pocketed by the servant, then everything is fine !

This is how some accountants Get rich overnight.  shocked , Hence the need for Auditors.  cool
grin
this explanation makes a lil sense to me but still really confusing
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by Sophizzy(f): 7:05pm On Aug 05, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

there is no missing money, this riddle is the same as the 1Naira missing or the hotel riddle.
you are getting confused because of the mix up.

here it goes again so that you may understand it:

18 times 3= 54 here is where the miscalculation happens>>>> 54 MINUS 4=50
how can you add the 4 to the money that is owe to them, you should substract it! or isnt that money part of the repayment?!
remember now they are owed 54 NOT 60 (since they got 2 each) so clock 50+4=54

here is the exact same problem on that LONG thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-723169.0.html

Please poster, is this correct? sad
Re: Riddle!- Story Of Three Friends by ARareGem(f): 7:54pm On Aug 05, 2011
Yes, it is. There is no missing money.

(1) (Reply)

Funny Pics ..enough / What Will You Do To The Poster Above You If You Got Hold Of Or Her?? / Football Vs Sex.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.