Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses (4203 Views)

Secrete Behind Buharis Excessive Travels By Applygist.com / Group Seeks Suspension Of Obanikoro, Olorunoje From PDP / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 2:13am On Aug 05, 2011
ACN is certainly paying attention to the people's welfare, unlike some othe parties that I know.

However, this solution can only be temporary. These buses travel at night because they engage in very long journeys and the roads are less busy. What is is a comprehensive national security network. In the medium term the bus operators/passengers must be ready to put armed guards (I think this used to be the case at some point) on board these big buses & create an information sharing network among themselves for better protection.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/14757-acn-seeks-suspension-of-night-travels-by-passenger-buses.html
By Olamilekan Andu
The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has urged relevant authorities to work with luxury bus operators to suspend night travels.

The party was reacting to the death of 14 passengers as they were being attacked by armed robbers on the Okene-Lokoja road on Tuesday.

In a statement yesterday in Ado-Ekiti by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, ACN said suspending night journeys has become necessary to save Nigerians from similar armed robberies.

The party said it was aware that the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has been advising travellers against night trips, because of their safety.

It noted that it is necessary for the FRSC “to go a step further by working with the commuter bus operators to stop night travels until there is adequate security on the roads”.

ACN urged the Federal Government to ensure the security of lives and property, saying security, along with welfare, is the raison d’etre of any government.

The party noted that the same day the heartless robbers put the hapless passengers on harm’s way on the Okene-Lokoja road, another group of armed robbers used explosives to blow up a bank in Ilesha, Osun state, forcing all banks in the town to close shop.

“These are just a few recent cases in a series of armed attacks against ordinary Nigerians across the country. No government worth its salt will sit back and allow armed gangs to take over its roads and towns, as if we are living in a failed state,” ACN said.

It expressed shock at the horror of the incident on the Okene-Lokoja road, when  passengers were made to lie face down on the road, only for oncoming vehicles to run over them.

“A similar mass deaths, caused by robbers who attacked a passenger bus, was said to have occurred in the past, even though it was denied by the authorities. Whatever happens, we should never allow this horrific incident to happen again in our country, even when we seem to have now become so numb that news of such deaths only dominate the media for a few days before disappearing from the headlines,” ACN said.

The party praised Kogi State Governor Ibrahim Idris  for visiting the survivors in the hospital and offering to foot their bills for their treatment.

It said such show of concern by people in positions of authority could be a soothing balm at times like this.

ACN also commiserated with the families of the victims, saying the only way to ensure they did not die in vain is to prevent a recurrence.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 3:13am On Aug 05, 2011
^^^^
Not needed. Night travel should be a function of demand and supply. If there are passengers willing to take the risk, and transporters wilingl to convene them, what then is the fuss about?

It is the duty of responsible government (state and federal) to provide the necessary guarantee of security. Or is the police no longer a 24 hrs service?
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Gbawe: 9:15am On Aug 05, 2011
PointB:

^^^^
Not needed. Night travel should be a function of demand and supply. If there are passengers willing to take the risk, and transporters wilingl to convene them, what then is the fuss about?

It is the duty of responsible government (state and federal) to provide the necessary guarantee of security. Or is the police no longer a 24 hrs service?

Good points . The needless loss of lives, to night time brigandage, is very disturbing and I can certainly understand why ACN would be moved enough to suggest this. Nonetheless , the onus should be on Nigerians themselves and transport operators to decide not to travel at night given that our security agencies are not up to the job of protecting them.

I certainly sympathize with Nigerians and fully understand that some have no choice but to travel at night but I doubt any ban on Night time travel can be effective with Nigerians roads , because of their poor state, throwing up 9 hours of traffic jam. Without Night time travel ,to decongest the overall volume of goods and number of people moving from A to B , day time travel would became hell literally. I don't think , even temporarily, it is possible for Nigerians not to travel at night.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by ektbear: 12:03pm On Aug 05, 2011
I agree with both of the above posters.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by kettykin: 2:21pm On Aug 05, 2011
what reasoning is this, will u because electricity kills ban electricity or look for a way to make it safer.

Night travel is ok, but for the wickedness of armed robbers in certain parts of the country who glory in human sacrifice and are so fetishly wicked.

Other armed robbers take cash and valuables and go but these ones sacrifice human heads.

The police and the public should note the state and local goverment areas where this abominatiom occures and the tribe that exist there should be watched and abhored by all
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 2:31pm On Aug 05, 2011
kettykin:

what reasoning is this, will u because electricity kills ban electricity or look for a way to make it safer.

Night travel is ok, but for the wickedness of armed robbers in certain parts of the country who glory in human sacrifice and are so fetishly wicked.

Other armed robbers take cash and valuables and go but these ones sacrifice human heads.

The police and the public should note the state and local goverment areas where this abominatiom occures and the tribe that exist there should be watched and abhored by all

I disagree with the bolded statement. Tribes don't commit these dastard acts; individuals (gangs) do. Sometimes the composition of the gang can include individuals from various ethnic groups. The fact that this particular incident happened Okene-Lokoja does not mean that it is carried out or condoned by people (or tribes) within that area.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 2:35pm On Aug 05, 2011
@ Gbawe, and Ekt_bear,

It's a bit odd that we actually agreed on something for a change. grin grin grin grin grin
I am still suspicious of you both. Just kidding! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Gbawe: 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2011
PointB:

@ Gbawe, and Ekt_bear,

It's a bit odd that we actually agreed on something for a change. grin grin grin grin grin
I am still suspicious of you both. Just kidding! grin grin grin grin grin

I can't disagree with Nairalanders when they make sense .
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2011
^^^^

lol, actually when they make sense by your standard, and judgement; or when there is convergence of interest. grin
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Gbawe: 4:30pm On Aug 05, 2011
PointB:

^^^^

lol, actually when they make sense by your standard, and judgement; or when there is convergence of interest. grin

Both grin grin
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 4:54pm On Aug 05, 2011
^^^^
No qualms, it's a human weakness. I understand! cool
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 05, 2011
I still say, I'm waiting for them to get down to business, 

Which is better?

Getting the government to make all major highways 4 lane plus and putting tolls which serves as security and also security check point/patrols,  Also making the roads smooth for traveling,

Or cutting off the leg cause it hurts? Which means stopping night travel! Night travel can be good for business,

We don't need to ban night traveling,  What is ACN thinking?

Gbawe, don't you think our boys are messing up? They are not thinking really! They should be sicking holding night travel pending the time the roads are fixed and adequate security put in place!!
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 5:16pm On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

I still say, I'm waiting for them to get down to business, 

Which is better?

Getting the government to make all major highways 4 lane plus and putting tolls which serves as security and also security check point/patrols,  Also making the roads smooth for traveling,

Or cutting off the leg cause it hurts? Which means stopping night travel! Night travel can be good for business,

We don't need to ban night traveling,  What is ACN thinking?

Gbawe, don't you think our boys are messing up? They are not thinking really! They should be sicking holding night travel pending the time the roads are fixed and adequate security put in place!!

You dare mention ACN and paucity of thinking faculty in the same breath? Something many have tactically avoided in this thread? Wait for Gbawe, he is coming to kick your a$$. grin grin grin grin
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by nastydamus(m): 5:19pm On Aug 05, 2011
Emm, who will enforce such a bill if passed?
If the Police will be on the roads at various points to enforce the ban, they could as well do their legitimate job (for which they get paid) by securing the roads).
Is it for lack of personnel to handle night shifts or lack of defense equipment that we have such a sh!tty police force? Na wa o.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Aug 05, 2011
koruji:

ACN is certainly paying attention to the people's welfare, unlike some othe parties that I know.

However, this solution can only be temporary. These buses travel at night because they engage in very long journeys and the roads are less busy. What is is a comprehensive national security network. In the medium term the bus operators/passengers must be ready to put armed guards (I think this used to be the case at some point) on board these big buses & create an information sharing network among themselves for better protection.

So, instead for pushing harder for the problem to come to an end, LIMITING the freedom of the people, to travel when they want, is now considered a solution?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Gbawe: 7:28pm On Aug 05, 2011
PointB:

You dare mention ACN and paucity of thinking faculty in the same breath? Something many have tactically avoided in this thread? Wait for Gbawe, he is coming to kick your a$$. grin grin grin grin

I don't always have to agree with everything the ACN Party announces . That would make me a zombie who cannot think for himself.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by jamace(m): 11:37pm On Aug 05, 2011
What an idiotic proposal! angry But planes have been perishing passengers lives. Why has airtravel not been banned?
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 2:31am On Aug 06, 2011
Yeah, it is a general approach to finding "solutions" to problems in Nigeria that even a progressive party like ACN has to realize and combat.

Kobojunkie:

So, instead for pushing harder for the problem to come to an end, LIMITING the freedom of the people, to travel when they want, is now considered a solution?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 2:34am On Aug 06, 2011
It is not an idiotic proposal if it is short-term and the situation is critical. It is like when the doctor tells you can't walk on a broken leg for a few weeks. It would be idiotic if he were to tell you to stop walking altogether, but he may advise you to "suspend" walking on those legs.

I hope you note the difference Suspension NOT EQUAL ban

jamace:

What an idiotic proposal! angry But planes have been perishing passengers lives. Why has airtravel not been banned?
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 3:04am On Aug 06, 2011
koruji:

It is not an idiotic proposal if it is short-term and the situation is critical. It is like when the doctor tells you can't walk on a broken leg for a few weeks. It would be idiotic if he were to tell you to stop walking altogether, but he may advise you to "suspend" walking on those legs.

I hope you note the difference Suspension NOT EQUAL ban

No sir, it is not an idiotic proposal, it rather a VERY IDIOTIC proposal; stemming from paucity of progressive ideas from a so-called progressive party. The analogy you gave is very misleading. Even those without legs find ways to move around let alone those with just broken legs. What is the use of walking aid, especially if it is critical that you move around. How about wheel chairs?

Let us try another analogy here. When MEND were busy blowing up pipelines, why didn't FG suspend temporarily, the exportation of crude oil? A credible answer to that will show you that ACN suggestion is an ill thought, knee jerk reaction! It is not implementable!
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Kobojunkie: 3:08am On Aug 06, 2011
koruji:

Yeah, it is a general approach to finding "solutions" to problems in Nigeria that even a progressive party like ACN has to realize and combat.

um . . . what do you even mean? Abeg please . . . when you see crap, call it it crap!
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 3:14am On Aug 06, 2011
Abeg go siddon somewhere cheesy cheesy cheesy

Seriously, you are wrong in suggesting that ACN is proposing not travelling at all i.e. like a doctor telling you not to move around. The doctor (ACN) in this case is telling you to suspend walking ON DAMAGED legs (equivalent to traveling at night) NOT suspend/ban moving aroundat all (which would have been like suggesting not to travel at all).

You need to be aware of the law of analogies, I guess - everyone of them break down at some point and so must not be taken out of context.

PointB:

No sir, it is not an idiotic proposal, it rather a VERY IDIOTIC proposal; stemming from paucity of progressive ideas from a so-called progressive party. The analogy you gave is very misleading. Even those without legs find ways to move around let alone those with just broken legs. What is the use of walking aid, especially if it is critical that you move around. How about wheel chairs?

Let us try another analogy here. When MEND were busy blowing up pipelines, why didn't FG suspend temporarily, the exportation of crude oil? A credible answer to that will show you that ACN suggestion is an ill thought, knee jerk reaction! It is not implementable!
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by aloyemeka2: 3:15am On Aug 06, 2011
Does one need to travel at night in Nigeria in order to be attacked by robbers?. Nigerian armed robbers are so rich these days that they consider night robbery as too risky and inconveniencing. You want snakes to bite them in the bush?. What's the point when they can throw a grenade in broad daylight and scare the devil out of the police and the army?. Armed robbers dey like sleep for night o. Who wan work overnight?.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 3:16am On Aug 06, 2011
What do you mean what do I mean? Where is the crap so I can call it crap?

Kobojunkie:

um . . . what do you even mean? Abeg please . . . when you see crap, call it it crap!
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 3:20am On Aug 06, 2011
koruji:

Abeg go siddon somewhere cheesy cheesy cheesy

Seriously, you are wrong in suggesting that ACN is proposing not travelling at all i.e. like a doctor telling you not to move around. The doctor (ACN) in this case is telling you to suspend walking ON DAMAGED legs (equivalent to traveling at night) NOT suspend/ban moving aroundat all (which would have been like suggesting not to travel at all).

You need to be aware of the law of analogies, I guess - everyone of them break down at some point and so must not be taken out of context.

My friend go drink garri, you are obviously hungry.  grin grin grin

Traveling at night can never be equated with walking on damaged legs (which kain analogy be dat?) Nigerians have been traveling at night for ages. The authorities should remove whatever obstacle (robbers and brigands) that are obstructing free movement of people - whether day or night. Temporary suspension is not a solution, not even in the short term. And it is not even enforceable to begin with.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Aug 06, 2011
koruji:

What do you mean what do I mean? Where is the crap so I can call it crap?

what "solution"? Why in the world are you COMMENDING this NONSENSE from people who are supposed to speak on behalf of the people?

Na only during night travel accidents and robbery dey happen on those highways? na so dem tell you? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 3:38am On Aug 06, 2011
You can call it crap if you want, but I am not calling it crap.

I commended ACN for paying attention to this issue. Given that, I am not about to call it crap since I want more attention to be paid to the issue. If it wasn't clear enough for you I don't consider this a great solution, so I suggested that if at all, such suspension can only be short-term, depending on how critical things are.

Kobojunkie:

what "solution"? Why in the world are you COMMENDING this NONSENSE from people who are supposed to speak on behalf of the people?
Na only during night travel accidents and robbery dey happen on those highways? na so dem tell you? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

As for you PointB, U are fortunate I do like drinking garri, but I am not hungry right now - so if you are hungry go eat apu grin grin grin

It is not "equated" my friend, it is an analogy. The only comparison between the two situations is the narrow part about the recommendation by the doctor (ACN) on the travel issue. Of course, you cannot equate travel at night to damaged legs (the analogy here is that something bad happens when you try both). You cannot also equate ACN to a doctor (again the analogy is merely that they are both giving a recommendation about a problem). The third analyogy is that both recommenations are temporary.

PointB:

My friend go drink garri, you are obviously hungry.  grin grin grin
Traveling at night can never be equated with walking on damaged legs (which kain analogy be dat?) Nigerians have been traveling at night for ages. The authorities should remove whatever obstacle (robbers and brigands) that are obstructing to free movement of people - whether day or night. Temporary suspension is not a solution, not even in the short term. And it is not even enforceable to begin with.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by PointB: 3:48am On Aug 06, 2011
koruji:

You can call it crap if you want, but I am not calling it crap.

I commended ACN for paying attention to this issue. Given that, I am not about to call it crap since I want more attention to be paid to the issue. If it wasn't clear enough for you I don't consider this a great solution, so I suggested that if at all, such suspension can only be short-term, depending on how critical things are.

As for you PointB U are fortunate I do like drinking garri, but I am not hungry right now - so if you are hungry go eat apu grin grin grin

It is not "equated" my friend, it is an analogy. The only comparison between the two situations is the narrow part about the recommendation by the doctor (ACN) on the travel issue. Of course, you cannot equate travel at night to damaged legs (the analogy here is that something bad happens when you try both). You cannot also equate ACN to a doctor (again the analogy is merely that they are both giving a recommendation about a problem). The third analyogy is that both recommenations are temporary.

lol, unfortunately sir, I dont eat apu, and I not also hungry.
To the issue at hand. I understand the use of analogy, but in this case the analogy you presented is faulty ab initio. I strongly disagree that bad things happen (only) when you travel at night. I have traveled at Night at various times, nothing bad happened to me. This situation is that brigands taken over a section of the road. The temporary measure here should not suspension of night travel, rather it should be a show of force! FG should flood the area with security agents (patrols, checkpoints, and what have you). Traveling at night has alot of economic; suspending it for any reason is out of the question. And like I said, how do you enforce it? With the same security agent who should rather be going after the bad guys?
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by logica(m): 4:04am On Aug 06, 2011
. . . and they think these robbers can't rob at any time? What stops them from robbing in the day time?
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 4:20am On Aug 06, 2011
It is easy to jump away from the point of the analogy and u did it again below - by going into narrating your night travels. You don't think the ACN knows that bad things don't happen all the time when you travel. There is something that distinguish the night travel situation ACN is concerned about from day travel or any other time of travel. The solution to it is not as simple as ACN recommended. Similarly, there is a problem with your proposed solution below - there are thousands of points where the robbers can operate from, and they can game the police. Thus, like the ACN recommendation (which admittedly may not be as good as yours) these are all temporary.

The last part of your reply give the same basic reasons I gave in my original post for believing that night travel is a valuable economic activity.

PointB:

lol, unfortunately sir, I dont eat apu, and I not also hungry.
To the issue at hand. I understand the use of analogy, but in this case the analogy you presented is faulty ab initio. I strongly disagree that bad things happen (only) when you travel at night. I have traveled at Night at various times, nothing bad happened to me. This situation is that brigands taken over a section of the road. The temporary measure here should not suspension of night travel, rather it should be a show of force! FG should flood the area with security agents (patrols, checkpoints, and what have you). Traveling at night has alot of economic; suspending it for any reason is out of the question. And like I said, how do you enforce it? With the same security agent who should rather be going after the bad guys?
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by VUVUZELA10: 4:30am On Aug 06, 2011
These benighted political leeches and parasites masquerading the political landscape as leaders wouldn’t stop amusing us. When will they step out of their winter of absurdity? If a National Publicity Secretary of a second biggest party in Nigeria is putting on a garment laced with lack of ideas then Asiwaju Congress of Nigeria is not an alternative now and in the future. NO Mr. NO. Stop thinking with your mouth.
Re: Acn Seeks Suspension Of Night Travels By Passenger Buses by koruji(m): 4:52am On Aug 06, 2011
That was so easy for you to condemn ACN. Wasn't it.

ACN as a party, its leadership and many of its elected officials have their hearts in the right place. And that is saying a lot when it comes to Nigeria. ACN being a progressive party probably realizes that its solutions will not always be correct, but that open discussion of issues and potential solutions, and a willingness to re-adjust thinking is the long-term way to succeed as a progressive party. ACN has the basic setup and outlook to bring true change to Nigeria, but that does not mean that they are immune from our general "situation" as a country.

You can go back to your PDP and its cluelessness, but I prefer the ACN brand.

Still I would not beforehand throw away anything that PDP proposes until I examine it. Although given 12 years of experience most of their proposals are likely to be based on selfish ends.

VUVUZELA10:

These benighted political leeches and parasites masquerading the political landscape as leaders wouldn’t stop amusing us. When will they step out of their winter of absurdity? If a National Publicity Secretary of a second biggest party in Nigeria is putting on a garment laced with lack of ideas then Asiwaju Congress of Nigeria is not an alternative now and in the future. NO Mr. NO. Stop thinking with your mouth.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Shameful Level Of Tribalism On Nairaland / I Tell People That Lagos Will Be A Village If Non-indigene Are Not In Lagos-jimi / I Dont Think Jonathan Would Get Up To 10% Of The Votes In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.