Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? (1072 Views)

Madam Titi Surrenders To Jesus In The Lords Chosen, Testifies In Church (Video) / Michael Job (Jesus In Kenya) Death Rumour / Temple Of The Most High God Ogun: Satan Is ‘Brother’, Worshippers Served Alcohol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by AkuOlisa: 8:57pm On Aug 16, 2022
We are not in anyway saying that there's no Satan. What I'm only saying is that what we regard as Satan in igbo as Ekwensu is not Satan. Now let's analys it in this way.

The Christian Satan couldn’t possibly be the Igbo Ekwensu. At least, that is what their different stories tell.

The Biblical Satan was once a high ranking angel in heaven who revolted. After he was defeated alongside his army, the Biblical Satan was cast off heaven.

Ekwensu, however, is a Pantheon God of Igbo Traditional belief’s system. According to word of mouth history, Ekwensu is the god of trades and bargain. He is seen as a wonderful negotiator and a trickster. This role makes him a go to god due to the commercial nature of the people. Since Igbo Traditional worship is pantheistic, worshipping Ekwensu as a personal God wasn’t uncommon among the people in times past.

Well, according to the Bible and the Koran, there is a being or beings called Satan. For Christians, Satan was once an angel in heaven who fell out of grace with the Biblical God. In Islam, most evil spirits are regarded as “Šayṭān“.

Most Christians of Igbo extraction call Satan “Ekwensu” in Igbo dialect. However, ‘Satan‘ is not “Ekwensu” of Igbo Traditional worship.

Happy reading. I hope you have been able to learn a new thing today. Please share if you enjoyed the knowledge.

Remember that We had our type of government, ways of communication, believe systems, spirituality, ways of trade, justice system, health system, defense system, e.t.c.

I am in not in anyway against Christianity. I am a Christian, and still a Christian, but we have to face the fact. When they ey came with christianizing everything about us, changed our names, our cities names, our towns names, our calendar, our believe systems, demonizing our sacred things and all that we hold dear, our ancestors were labelled demons that we now bind and cast them, they put a knife on what held us together and severed it.

That was how “Ekwensu” became “Satan” …. in Igbo cosmology we don’t have Satan’like entity, who is opposite of God, was once an angel of God, rebelled against God with some angel with him, and now snaring humans into disobeying God, from whom all evil emanates, … No we have no such entity in Igbo cosmology.

The character they re portraying as the person of Satan is all the story of Europeans and when depicting it they draw a wicked black man with horns and tail inside what they called hell fire, the beginning and the end of the story of Satan is European, it has no place in Igbo cosmology.

Ekwensu is a powerful deity of war in Igbo land, it’s shrine is located in Anaku, Anaku is in Ayemelum local government area of Anambra state, just like we also have Haaba Agulu and Agwazi Uga these are deities of war and there re other deities of war and different purposes in Igbo land

Though you are free to regard whom you ever believe is Satan.

They said Satan is Ekwensu in ìgbo, then what is the name of Jesus in Igbo?

Copied from
Igbo history from Facebook

3 Likes

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by GodsOwnMan: 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2022
You are expecting answer from Nigerians whose brains have been completely colonized by their European and Arab masters.

4 Likes

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by fman(m): 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2022
You just answered yourself.
Moreover you are not a christain.
You are a heathen believer.
However how this your ekwensu wan take solve the shitty problems caused by the APC government

2 Likes

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by SisterAnn(f): 9:21pm On Aug 16, 2022
Op since you are a Christian and you are Igbo, why not tell us what biblical Satan is called.
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Samfloxin(m): 9:30pm On Aug 16, 2022
Jesus is Okpara Chineke
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Righthussle: 9:43pm On Aug 16, 2022
Ekwensu really looks dreadful.
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by VeryWickedMan: 9:53pm On Aug 16, 2022
Chisos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:25am On Aug 17, 2022
AkuOlisa:
We are not in anyway saying that there's no Satan. What I'm only saying is that what we regard as Satan in igbo as Ekwensu is not Satan. Now let's analys it in this way.

The Christian Satan couldn’t possibly be the Igbo Ekwensu. At least, that is what their different stories tell.

The Biblical Satan was once a high ranking angel in heaven who revolted. After he was defeated alongside his army, the Biblical Satan was cast off heaven.

Ekwensu, however, is a Pantheon God of Igbo Traditional belief’s system. According to word of mouth history, Ekwensu is the god of trades and bargain. He is seen as a wonderful negotiator and a TRICKSTER.

Ekwensu is a powerful deity of war in Igbo land, it’s shrine is located in Anaku,...

The highlighted and his foreboding picture shows that he is the same as Satan in the Bible.
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Broveens42(m): 1:49pm On Aug 17, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

The highlighted and his foreboding picture shows that he is the same as Satan in the Bible.

So the Satan in your Bible has only a head with several horns? No neck, body, legs, wings etc? grin

2 Likes

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Kobojunkiee: 2:15pm On Aug 17, 2022
AkuOlisa:
The Christian Satan couldn’t possibly be the Igbo Ekwensu. At least, that is what their different stories tell. The Biblical Satan was once a high ranking angel in heaven who revolted. After he was defeated alongside his army, the Biblical Satan was cast off heaven.
That statement in bold is not scriptural at all. It is instead born of pagan ideas. undecided

1 Like

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Broveens42(m): 2:22pm On Aug 17, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
That statement in bold is not scriptural at all. It is instead born of pagan ideas. undecided

Is this one scriptural?

1 Chronicles 21
1Then *Satan* stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel.
2 So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me a report, that I may know their number.”

2 Samuel 24
1Again the *anger of the LORD* was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.”
2 So the king said to Joab, the commander of the army,a who was with him, “Go through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and number the people, that I may know the number of the people.”
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Kobojunkiee: 2:25pm On Aug 17, 2022
Broveens42:
Is this one scriptural?
So, what has any of what appears as random clippings to do with what I stated? undecided
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Broveens42(m): 2:37pm On Aug 17, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
So, what has any of what appears as random clippings to do with what I stated? undecided

instead of rebuffing me like you did to the other fellow about what's scriptural, you decided to go philosophical? grin
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Kobojunkiee: 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2022
Broveens42:
instead of rebuffing me like you did to the other fellow about what's scriptural, you decided to go philosophical? grin
But there is nothing to rebuff since I don't see what the connection is between the other fellow's post and yours. undecided
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by 1Sharon(f): 5:34pm On Aug 17, 2022
I'll love to know how ekwensu became Satan.

1 Like

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:29pm On Aug 17, 2022
Broveens42:

So the Satan in your Bible has only a head with several horns? No neck, body, legs, wings etc? grin

We see that Satan in the Bible is a shape shifter eg a serpent, a prince, a dragon, a woman, a lion etc. grin
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by A001: 7:06am On Aug 18, 2022
Ekwensu, Eshu, Olorun, Chineke/Chukwu, Ifa, and similar local deities have no equivalent word in English. Thus, Chukwu is a distinct entity from Jehovah, and Olohun isn't the same entity as Yahweh or Allah.

Too much ignorance in religion. Religious people are some of the most ignorant, confused, and fearful people on Earth.
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by dazzlingd(m): 8:09am On Aug 18, 2022
A001:
Ekwensu, Eshu, Olorun, Chineke/Chukwu, Ifa, and similar local deities have no equivalent word in English. Thus, Chukwu is a distinct entity from Jehovah, and Olohun isn't the same entity as Yahweh or Allah.

Too much ignorance in religion. Religious people are some of the most ignorant, confused, and fearful people on Earth.

Hello, I can’t respond to pm. Send your email lemme contact you
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by dazzlingd(m): 8:11am On Aug 18, 2022
A001:

Not just ignorance but stupidity, low IQ

2 Likes

Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by knowingChrist(m): 8:15am On Aug 18, 2022
Everything you say about Satan is not biblical, it's all just European and Arabian junk story. You know how those people like myths and falsehood, that's how they falsified their stories as biblical interpretation.

Satan is never a powerful angel. That's not in the scriptures. Satan was not who God in the beginning, that's also an European tale.

As a Christian, you first need to know what the scripture says about Satan before you know if he's Ekwensu. The European story does not align with the bible but scriptural account aligns with Ekwensu.

I wrote a thread about Satan and the explanation of Ezekiel 28 where the bible talks about the devil. Check it out pls.

Aside from always wanting to counter God and created an alternative solution to God's word, there's nothing you said about Satan that's true.

AkuOlisa:

Ekwensu, however, is a Pantheon God of Igbo Traditional belief’s system. According to word of mouth history, Ekwensu is the god of trades and bargain. He is seen as a wonderful negotiator and a trickster. This role makes him a go to god due to the commercial nature of the people. Since Igbo Traditional worship is pantheistic, worshipping Ekwensu as a personal God wasn’t uncommon among the people in times past.

Well, according to the Bible and the Koran, there is a being or beings called Satan. For Christians, Satan was once an angel in heaven who fell out of grace with the Biblical God. In Islam, most evil spirits are regarded as “Šayṭān“.

Most Christians of Igbo extraction call Satan “Ekwensu” in Igbo dialect. However, ‘Satan‘ is not “Ekwensu” of Igbo Traditional worship.

Happy reading. I hope you have been able to learn a new thing today. Please share if you enjoyed the knowledge.

Remember that We had our type of government, ways of communication, believe systems, spirituality, ways of trade, justice system, health system, defense system, e.t.c.

I am in not in anyway against Christianity. I am a Christian, and still a Christian, but we have to face the fact. When they ey came with christianizing everything about us, changed our names, our cities names, our towns names, our calendar, our believe systems, demonizing our sacred things and all that we hold dear, our ancestors were labelled demons that we now bind and cast them, they put a knife on what held us together and severed it.

That was how “Ekwensu” became “Satan” …. in Igbo cosmology we don’t have Satan’like entity, who is opposite of God, was once an angel of God, rebelled against God with some angel with him, and now snaring humans into disobeying God, from whom all evil emanates, … No we have no such entity in Igbo cosmology.

The character they re portraying as the person of Satan is all the story of Europeans and when depicting it they draw a wicked black man with horns and tail inside what they called hell fire, the beginning and the end of the story of Satan is European, it has no place in Igbo cosmology.

Ekwensu is a powerful deity of war in Igbo land, it’s shrine is located in Anaku, Anaku is in Ayemelum local government area of Anambra state, just like we also have Haaba Agulu and Agwazi Uga these are deities of war and there re other deities of war and different purposes in Igbo land

Though you are free to regard whom you ever believe is Satan.

They said Satan is Ekwensu in ìgbo, then what is the name of Jesus in Igbo?

Copied from
Igbo history from Facebook
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by A001: 3:42pm On Aug 18, 2022
dazzlingd:

Hello, I can’t respond to pm. Send your email lemme contact you
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Broveens42(m): 9:46pm On Aug 18, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

We see that Satan in the Bible is a shape shifter eg a serpent, a prince, a dragon, a woman, a lion etc. grin

Lol.
after several hours of thinking/reflection, this was what you were able to come up with?
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:22am On Aug 19, 2022
Broveens42:

Lol.
after several hours of thinking/reflection, this was what you were able to come up with?

Gee, I gat to work cheesy
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Broveens42(m): 3:58pm On Aug 19, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Gee, I gat to work cheesy

I don't have work grin
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Richy4(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2022
knowingChrist:

Satan is never a powerful angel. That's not in the scriptures. Satan was not who God in the beginning, that's also an European tale.

I wrote a thread about Satan and the explanation of Ezekiel 28 where the bible talks about the devil. Check it out pls.

@ highlights, he was a powerful Angel.. An anointed guardian Cherub.. Ezekiel 28:14
Cherubs are one of the highest ranks of Angels
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:49pm On Aug 19, 2022
Broveens42:

I don't have work grin

No one asked you here in this thread were you where for "several hours" being unable to respond. cheesy
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by knowingChrist(m): 11:41am On Aug 20, 2022
That's not true. What you're saying is not the truth.

Cherub is a guardian or a protect. Nothing like an angel in the meaning of cherub. Cherub is an entity that has authority of God

Satan is the person that had the authority of God in the beginning. He was given power to protect the garden of Eden.

He was man and the father of flesh and the creator of disobedience against God and his name is Adam. Don't get deceived by falsehood.

Read the teaching I made on Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14, they're here on nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/7289954/recognizing-bible-calls-lucifer

Richy4:

@ highlights, he was a powerful Angel.. An anointed guardian Cherub.. Ezekiel 28:14
Cherubs are one of the highest ranks of Angels
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Richy4(m): 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2022
knowingChrist:
That's not true. What you're saying is not the truth.

Cherub is a guardian or a protect. Nothing like an angel in the meaning of cherub. Cherub is an entity that has authority of God

Satan is the person that had the authority of God in the beginning. He was given power to protect the garden of Eden.

He was man and the father of flesh and the creator of disobedience against God and his name is Adam. Don't get deceived by falsehood.

Read the teaching I made on Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14, they're here on nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/7289954/recognizing-bible-calls-lucifer

A simple Google search can actually end this you know... Just type a question like are cherubs angles? We are not talking about their job descriptions here
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by knowingChrist(m): 12:20pm On Aug 20, 2022
We don't learn the truth from google. We learn the truth from the scriptures. According to the scriptures, anyone who keeps anything by the decree of God is a Cherub.
Adam was a Cherub until he fell
Angels are Cherubs
Jesus was a Cherub
Believers are Cherubs.

I think it's high time you focused on the scriptures and not google. The truth is within the scriptures.
Did you not read in Revelation 22:9 when the angel made it clear that he's the same with us and all the prophet who "keep" the word of God?

Richy4:

A simple Google search can actually end this you know... Just type a question like are cherubs angles? We are not talking about their job descriptions here
Re: They Said Satan Is Ekwensu In Ìgbo, Then What Is The Name Of Jesus In Igbo? by Richy4(m): 12:22pm On Aug 20, 2022
knowingChrist:
We don't learn the truth from google. We learn the truth from the scriptures. According to the scriptures, anyone who keeps anything by the decree of God is a Cherub.
Adam was a Cherub
Jesus was a Cherub
Believers are Cherubs.

I think it's high time you focused on the scriptures and not google. The truth is within the scriptures.

grin grin grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Why They Came For TB Joshua? / I Love My Neighbours, But They Don't Love Me Back! / Reject All The Lies Of Satan Against Jesus Christ.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.