Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ (2048 Views)

LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka / Subsidy Removal: FG Resisted Pressure To Print Money – NGF / Sowore, Nnamdi Kanu Plotted To Topple Buhari — SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by adecz: 5:38am On Aug 17, 2022
Usman: How Dambazau Resisted Pressure to Topple Jonathan

•Says he made a promise to international community he wouldn’t

•Ex-army chief proposes drastic reform of entire security sector

•Declares size of military, police inadequate for Nigeria’s population

•Buni cautions against hate speech, says nation’s interest uppermost

Chuks Okocha and Kingsley Nwezeh in Abuja

Former spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Kukasheka Usman (rtd), yesterday, spilled an untold story that would shock many Nigerians, as he revealed how ex-Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (rtd), was pressured to topple President Goodluck Jonathan following the passing of President Umaru Yar’Adua in 2010.

Usman made the disclosure in Abuja at the 2022 Blueprint Newspapers Annual Public Lectures and Impact Series/Award. He said Dambazau not only resisted the pressure from people the former army spokesperson described as enemies of Nigeria, but he also promised the international community, which got wind of the development, he would do no such thing.

The revelation came as Dambazau suggested a drastic reform of the entire security sector after the 2023 general election.

Relatedly, Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni warned that no individual or collective interest was worth plunging the country into war for in order to win the forthcoming election. Buni cautioned against hate speech, saying Nigeria’s interest must be uppermost at all times.

Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello also said those responsible for the country’s security crisis could not be trusted to find a lasting solution to it. Bello said with serious commitment, the security challenges could be successfully tackled within six months.

Recounting how Dambazau resisted pressure to overthrow the Jonathan government, Usman said, “One thing Nigerians do not know is that if we are counting champions of democracy in this country, there is no way you will not mention Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, and I will tell you why.

“Way back in the days when President Umar Yar’Adua was sick, he was the Chief of Army Staff and I had the privilege of being public relations officer in the office of the army chief. I had the privilege of moving with him. We always moved together and I knew.

“Even though he is a prolific writer, he is yet to come out with his memoir and part of that memoir should be an expose of those people that undermined democracy in this country.

“I am saying this with every sense of responsibility, because that time the same group of politicians were the ones lobbying him to take over government unconstitutionally. We have the records and when he started writing the memoir, with due respect to him, I told him that he had to mention the names of the individuals so that posterity will remember them for who they are.

“Up till now, we are still contending with that issue and I know that the international community showed concern, to the extent that they had to meet with him, where he promised that he will not take over government.

“We still live with the flaks, where in some parts of the country, they call us women, because an opportunity came and we did not take advantage of it to take over government. Now, what am I driving at? All these issues that we are talking about lack focus on critical issues, discussing mundane issues; they are threatening the very corporate existence of this nation.

“When we visited 44 Reference Hospital, Kaduna, people were asking when is the announcement going to be made about taking over government. I’m so happy Gen. Akinyemi, the GOC 3rd Amoured Division (Jos) is still alive. You can ask him.

“A simple phone call to him to roll out the tanks and Gen. Dambazau would have been head of state, but he resisted that temptation, simply, because he had the interest of this nation at heart and he knows that democracy is the best form of government for this country.

Recall that Dambazau was at the time accused of ordering troops to Airport Road, Abuja, and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport without Jonathan’s authorisation at the death of Yar’Adua. It was also alleged that the then Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Air Chief Marshal Paul Dike (rtd), once restricted Dambazau’s movement to his residence as army chief over his suspected “ambitious moves.

Read more @

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/08/17/usman-how-dambazau-resisted-pressure-to-topple-jonathan

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Freelane33(m): 5:43am On Aug 17, 2022
Military should take over or make we no do election for 2023
Better still make we divide
This is a long suffering
People are facing a lot of hardships
Lack of security and jobs

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Otuegbe: 5:48am On Aug 17, 2022
The Short man devil must have hand in it fear North.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by luvinhubby(m): 5:54am On Aug 17, 2022
APC is a very deadly political party

Same Dambazzau was appointed minister by Buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by luvinhubby(m): 5:59am On Aug 17, 2022
adecz:
Usman: How Dambazau Resisted Pressure to Topple Jonathan

•Says he made a promise to international community he wouldn’t

•Ex-army chief proposes drastic reform of entire security sector

•Declares size of military, police inadequate for Nigeria’s population

•Buni cautions against hate speech, says nation’s interest uppermost

Chuks Okocha and Kingsley Nwezeh in Abuja

Former spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Kukasheka Usman (rtd), yesterday, spilled an untold story that would shock many Nigerians, as he revealed how ex-Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (rtd), was pressured to topple President Goodluck Jonathan following the passing of President Umaru Yar’Adua in 2010.

Usman made the disclosure in Abuja at the 2022 Blueprint Newspapers Annual Public Lectures and Impact Series/Award. He said Dambazau not only resisted the pressure from people the former army spokesperson described as enemies of Nigeria, but he also promised the international community, which got wind of the development, he would do no such thing.

The revelation came as Dambazau suggested a drastic reform of the entire security sector after the 2023 general election.

Relatedly, Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni warned that no individual or collective interest was worth plunging the country into war for in order to win the forthcoming election. Buni cautioned against hate speech, saying Nigeria’s interest must be uppermost at all times.

Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello also said those responsible for the country’s security crisis could not be trusted to find a lasting solution to it. Bello said with serious commitment, the security challenges could be successfully tackled within six months.

Recounting how Dambazau resisted pressure to overthrow the Jonathan government, Usman said, “One thing Nigerians do not know is that if we are counting champions of democracy in this country, there is no way you will not mention Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau, and I will tell you why.

“Way back in the days when President Umar Yar’Adua was sick, he was the Chief of Army Staff and I had the privilege of being public relations officer in the office of the army chief. I had the privilege of moving with him. We always moved together and I knew.

“Even though he is a prolific writer, he is yet to come out with his memoir and part of that memoir should be an expose of those people that undermined democracy in this country.

“I am saying this with every sense of responsibility, because that time the same group of politicians were the ones lobbying him to take over government unconstitutionally. We have the records and when he started writing the memoir, with due respect to him, I told him that he had to mention the names of the individuals so that posterity will remember them for who they are.

“Up till now, we are still contending with that issue and I know that the international community showed concern, to the extent that they had to meet with him, where he promised that he will not take over government.

“We still live with the flaks, where in some parts of the country, they call us women, because an opportunity came and we did not take advantage of it to take over government. Now, what am I driving at? All these issues that we are talking about lack focus on critical issues, discussing mundane issues; they are threatening the very corporate existence of this nation.

“When we visited 44 Reference Hospital, Kaduna, people were asking when is the announcement going to be made about taking over government. I’m so happy Gen. Akinyemi, the GOC 3rd Amoured Division (Jos) is still alive. You can ask him.

“A simple phone call to him to roll out the tanks and Gen. Dambazau would have been head of state, but he resisted that temptation, simply, because he had the interest of this nation at heart and he knows that democracy is the best form of government for this country.

Recall that Dambazau was at the time accused of ordering troops to Airport Road, Abuja, and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport without Jonathan’s authorisation at the death of Yar’Adua. It was also alleged that the then Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Air Chief Marshal Paul Dike (rtd), once restricted Dambazau’s movement to his residence as army chief over his suspected “ambitious moves.

Read more @

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/08/17/usman-how-dambazau-resisted-pressure-to-topple-jonathan

Incorrect narrative.

Dambazzau as army chief wanted to topple Goodluck Jonathan as president but was seriously warned by the international community of severe consequences & was forced to back down.

12 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by richiemcgold: 6:00am On Aug 17, 2022
If this revelation is true, I will say Jonathan was lucky. I can now see a reason why buhari makes his kinsmen head of all security agencies. He was once a coup plotter and he was also once a victim of military coup, so he knew anything could happen. If this incompetent buhari is a southerner (and not a retired general), both the military and the legislators would've made similar attempts to remove him by now.

5 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by DukeofUmueri247: 6:03am On Aug 17, 2022
Abeg mention their names..
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by nedu666: 6:03am On Aug 17, 2022
Lies. He wanted to topple jona but fear of crude oil ban plus other sanctions forced him to abort his plans

5 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 6:08am On Aug 17, 2022
grin

fake news
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by adecz: 6:48am On Aug 17, 2022
Maybe, that was why GEJ decided
to concede the election, though the
writing was on the wall that PDP had
been rejected...
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by kettykin: 6:53am On Aug 17, 2022
Is this a tip off
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by kettykin: 6:55am On Aug 17, 2022
richiemcgold:
If this revelation is true, I will say Jonathan was lucky. I can now see a reason why buhari makes his kinsmen head of all security agencies. He was once a coup plotter and he was also once a victim of military coup, so he knew anything could happen. If this incompetent buhari is a southerner (and not a retired general), both the military and the legislators would've made similar attempts to remove him by now.
Ok
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by limeta(f): 7:04am On Aug 17, 2022
Buhari, El Rufai and the entire northern Muslim population .
Muslims must not let infidels rule over them .

2 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by pointblank247(m): 7:05am On Aug 17, 2022
richiemcgold:
buhari made only his people security chiefs so that no body can stop him from destroying Nigeria patapata. He achieved his aim before the shouts and complaints made him to add irabor
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Nigerianization(m): 7:08am On Aug 17, 2022
nedu666:
Lies. He wanted to topple jona but fear of crude oil ban plus other sanctions forced him to abort his plans

IBB made it clear that it is not that the military is now more disciplined or loyal, it is that it will amount to foolishness to attempt a coup in present day Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by sweetonugbu: 7:13am On Aug 17, 2022
He was not given space by paul dike.

2 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Mrkindness: 7:17am On Aug 17, 2022
Same Dan Bazzau that northern Muslim leaders were hoping that he topple Jonathan government and he was making plans to that before international communities give him a serious warning that they will divide the country if he tries it before he shelved his sword.
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by etrouble: 7:20am On Aug 17, 2022
It would have been better for the nation. We won't have ended up with this useless devilish mannequin hiding inside the Rock

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by sagitariusbaby(m): 7:20am On Aug 17, 2022
He "Dambazzau" was the one that wanted to topple Jonathan's government in connivance with Elrufai the short demon of Kaduna and a host of others now masquerading about in this Godforsaken government.
He couldn't carry out the plan because of Western pressure, warning and threat of splitting the country should he carry out the plan which eventually aborted the evil plan.

These guys are obviously trying to rewrite history but we won't allow them.

5 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Doubleoh7: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2022
Until the animals learn to speak the tales of the jungle will always favour the hunter.

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 17, 2022
Freelane33:
Military should take over or make we no do election for 2023
Better still make we divide
This is a long suffering
People are facing a lot of hardships
Lack of security and jobs
If military takes over, Dollar will jump to N1000 in 24 hours. And to N2000 in 3 months. Nigerians suffering will triple for about 3 years, and then if that military really loves Nigeria, they must gotten rid of all corrupt politicians and help draft a better constitution. Then the real journey of fixing the country may begin

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by OneCandleAway(f): 7:58am On Aug 17, 2022
sagitariusbaby:
He "Dambazzau" was the one that wanted to topple Jonathan's government in connivance with Elrufai the short demon of Kaduna and a host of others now masquerading about in this Godforsaken government.
He couldn't carry out the plan because of Western pressure, warning and threat of splitting the country should he carry out the plan which eventually aborted the evil plan.

These guys are obviously trying to rewrite history but we won't allow them.

Meaning the international community knows we need to be split, but since we the people are not doing anything about it they are letting us be for now

2 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by adecz: 7:58am On Aug 17, 2022
undecided

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by SmartPolician: 8:00am On Aug 17, 2022
richiemcgold:

Everyone does that, starting with Jonathan.

When Jonathan was sworn in as president, he appointed Ihejirika, a man from a tribe he could trust, as his army chief.

When he was pressured to relieve Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika, he replaced him with Kenneth Minimah, a general from Rivers State. When Buhari came back, he replaced them with northerners.

Although we all like to pretend about it, Nigeria is not a united country. Since 1966, the ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria have been living in mutual suspicion and are driven by vested interests.

2 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by sayso: 8:03am On Aug 17, 2022
Otuegbe:
The Short man devil must have hand in it fear North.
No,this was an attempt by James Ibori and co, cos they sponsored Ya'rdua and do not want Jonathan. It was actually IBB that stopped the coup.
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Racoon(m): 8:06am On Aug 17, 2022
Trying to paint Gen.Danbazzau as a hero here is just deceptive of the typical hausa-fulani power mongers in Nigeria. They only know their own, anything not from their warped line of reasoning is seen as an infidel.

3 Likes

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Penguin2: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2022
Hmmmm

The inside story said that some of those who advised Dambazau to takeover government are still very much around and claiming heroes of democracy.

I suspect Buhari…

I suspect Atiku…

I suspect Elrufai…

I suspect Kwankwaso…

I would have said Tinubu, but I remembered he was part of those who lobbied for GEJ to be sworn in as president after Yaradua died.

But Omo, gist plenty wey we no know o.

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by alpharoyalty: 8:11am On Aug 17, 2022
Trust northerners especially the Fulanis at your own risk.
Good thing the international community intervened. Else, it would have been a done deal
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by alpharoyalty: 8:16am On Aug 17, 2022
luvinhubby:

Incorrect narrative.
Dambazzau as army chief wanted to topple Goodluck Jonathan as president but was seriously warned by the international community of severe consequences & was forced to back down.

Correct.
Trust an Hausa/Fulani at your own risk.

1 Like

Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Penguin2: 8:17am On Aug 17, 2022
sayso:
No,this was an attempt by James Ibori and co, cos they sponsored Ya'rdua and do not want Jonathan. It was actually IBB that stopped the coup.

Tell us more. U seem to know more
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by Curious345: 8:20am On Aug 17, 2022
Hnmmm
Re: ❗️How Chief Of Army Staff Resisted Pressure To Topple GEJ by sayso: 9:34am On Aug 17, 2022
Penguin2:

Tell us more. U seem to know more
IBB granted an interview witi BBC about it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi's Explosive Live Interview On AY Live Tonight (full Video) / Supreme Court Judge Abba Aji Caught On Audio Faulting INEC Declaration Of Tinubu / What's Happening To Carbon Microfinance Bank?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.