Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,549 members, 7,812,752 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka (23641 Views)

Terrorism, Niger Crisis: Tinubu Shuns ex-Generals For Incoming Cabinet / 2023: Are The Ex-generals Actually Backing Obi? / Ex-generals Demand Crackdown As Terrorists Kill Over 700 Soldiers In 18 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:48am On Sep 14, 2023
How Labour Party Leaders Were Being Used By Ex-Military Generals, Others For Their Plan To Topple Nigeria’s Democracy –Soyinka

September 14, 2023

Image Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Nobel laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka has said Labour Party leaders were being used by a clandestine force, including ex-military generals to truncate democracy in Nigeria.

SaharaReporters on Wednesday reported that Soyinka also stated categorically that Peter Obi of the Labour Party did not win the 2023 presidential election in Nigeria, and did not even come second.

Soyinka stated this while speaking as a guest speaker at the 2023 'Africa in the World' event, a festival that brings together the world's most innovative thinkers and top leaders to platform invigorating ideas for fresh changes and sustainable solutions for African people.

The event started on Tuesday, September 12 and is scheduled to end on Saturday, September 16, 2023, at Stellenbosch, South Africa.

Soyinka said, "In addition, and this is the worst part. They didn’t know it but they were being used. Before the elections ever took place, there was a certain clandestine force – reactionary. It included some ex-Generals who were already calling for an interim government before the elections began.

"Some were well-known figures including even the proprietor of a university calling for an interim government before elections ever took place so the party was playing into their hands. Maybe not consciously – all of them – but some were definitely trying to create a situation to bring back the military."

The legal icon said three emissaries were sent to the "leader," saying "curb your supporters, tell them to be on their guard."

"If you lose an election the first time, that doesn't matter. I said, 'Tell them to stop threatening, stop intimidating people so it wasn't something new though I had to stop their getting youths on the streets to be slaughtered, and for what, for a lie," he said. "That for me was unacceptable."

On Wednesday, SaharaReporters reported that the moderator, Okechukwu "Okey" Ndibe, a novelist and political columnist, asked if the Soyinka who in October 1965 stormed the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation in Ibadan to stop a broadcaster from playing the address of the then-Premier of the Western Region, Chief Ladoke Akintola at gunpoint, had changed. At the time, 31-year-old Soyinka, who was a lecturer at the University of Lagos, was believed to have stopped the announcement which would have followed an election believed to have been rigged.

Ndibe wanted to know why the same Soyinka had not been in support of Peter Obi and the Labour Party, who claimed to have won the 2023 presidential election.

Bola Tinubu of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) was declared the winner of the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Obi, LP, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), its candidate in the election and the Allied Peoples Movement (APM) challenged the election of Tinubu at the Presidential Election Petition Court but the tribunal dismissed their petitions, describing them as unmeritorious.

In response to Ndibe's question about what changed, Soyinka said, "Oh, consistency!"

He said, "Truth matters to me; our problem is that many people, they look for shortcuts. Well, I do too sometimes, but I do my homework first. The election you talked about which took place in the Western Region, the notorious gunman episode which in fact for a long time, I insisted on being coy about, I always said, I'm sorry, I was tried and I was acquitted, which is true. I'd say 'Don’t you believe in the Nigerian judiciary, what more do you want me to say?’

"But I want to stress the fact that I was right in the thick of that election. I also collaborated with a radio unit installed in Oke-Ado through which we were announcing the correct results as we obtained them from the various polling booths.

"In other words, we had the facts on our hands. And the deputy Prime minister went on air to boast that they had won. It was a fascistic regime. Before the election, he went on air and said, 'We don't need anybody to vote for us. Whether you vote for us or not, the angels in heaven have already voted us in.' That was his statement on the radio. They were determined and they were a brutal lot.

"The atrocities which they committed; we witnessed them first hand so I wasn't relying on third-hand information about the election results. We contested throughout; we did our work solidly. Now, this recent election: it is unfortunate that… two things happened. First of all, in this particular instance, one Party took over the labour movement, which is one of my favourite movements also.

"And then it became a regional Party more than… whereas it was a marvellous breach into the established two camps. Peter Obi achieved something remarkable there, that he broke that mould. However, he did not win the election.

Soyinka explained that a monitoring unit monitored the election "so I could say categorically that Peter Obi's Party came third not even second."

“And the leadership knew it but they wanted to do what we call in Yoruba 'Gbajue'. That is, you know you have 'force of arms,' you also have 'force of lies.'"

Source

39 Likes 10 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by TemplarLandry: 9:49am On Sep 14, 2023
Of course Hellu Pee crawlers are puppets.

53 Likes 11 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by SalamRushdie: 9:49am On Sep 14, 2023
What is wrong with Soyinka

300 Likes 32 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by MrALIVE: 9:52am On Sep 14, 2023
Last last they are all tribal bigots hiding behind the veil of Nationalists.

251 Likes 32 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Karemarealty288(m): 9:53am On Sep 14, 2023
Soyinka. I dare you to mention names....who used you during Jonathan’s subsidy removal.

383 Likes 39 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by ubest1(m): 9:54am On Sep 14, 2023
Old cultist is back with his rubbish

249 Likes 16 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Akshow: 10:15am On Sep 14, 2023
Kongi himself. The Lion himself. The sage.

Food is ready children of hate. Drag him like you drag everyone, he's done his part. He was imprisoned for the cause of your forefathers, but like the manerless headless mobs you are, drag him.

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Cti28(m): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
There are truth in what Soyinka said.

The Obidient movement was great. One of their biggest undoing was their indignation towards anyone who stands contrary to their ideas.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by NOwazobia: 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
This man is now sounding dumb, bigotted and agbayalistic like Reno on a daily basis.

So, democracy is snatching and rigging due process, with political thugs and looted funds.

If he needs appointment, and wants to go into politics he should do that already! 🤦🏽‍♂️

200 Likes 23 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Ttipsy(f): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
Every soul in this country is just tribalistic

APC supporters are worst than LP

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by SmartPolician: 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
The day Nigerians would start separating their tribes from their views, this country would start working.

128 Likes 11 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
Na so soyinka take support Buhari wey Buhari don put Nigerians into ₦77trillion debt.
He went into hiding after seeing the calamity he supported.Now,he don come out again.

I don't see soyinka as mentor.Rather he speaks for the highest bidder.

157 Likes 14 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Boondocxs(f): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
I thought old age and white hairs came with wisdom?
Why is the professor shouting and making stupid comments
Abi has he turned to portable
His family has to be concerned about him

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Ayor93(m): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
This man is gone. Smh

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Boondocxs(f): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
One will have to wonder
I thought we were made to believe that this man was wise
Then where is all this incorrigible nonsense coming from
Abi is it the white hairs that is deceiving us ?

77 Likes 11 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Christistruth00: 10:16am On Sep 14, 2023
We have been trying to Educate Peter Obi's headless Nazi like hate Mob

But not only are they headless they no hear Word either

100 Likes 9 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by dhardline(m): 10:17am On Sep 14, 2023
Omo never knew this man is going senile! cry

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by KingLennon(m): 10:17am On Sep 14, 2023
Wole Soyinka is a man I respect so much. But I think the man should be well informed that his comments are making him look naive and stupid. Ex-military generals using LP to truncate democracy is absurd to think of sad

$1 is 950 naira, prices of goods are going up, fuel is now 700. I think he should be more bothered about the economy sad

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by parkparky(m): 10:17am On Sep 14, 2023
Lol, This one been don cast. we know you already!!

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by vowahah: 10:17am On Sep 14, 2023
All this while i tot this man had sense

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Starships4u(m): 10:17am On Sep 14, 2023
Omooooooh,
Seems LP did a whole lot we didn't know....

Buh no one is telling us all APC did likewise....

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Bobby4090: 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by jaxxy(m): 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
These are shameful and baseless comments just to support an illegitimacy.

The new electoral act has been thrown into the Dustbin by inec and parts of the judiciary yet Soyinka’ has nothing to say about that bt rather pursuing phantom conspiracies.

democracy was destroyed by inec failing in its basic duties and credibility. The judiciary is now fumbling.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by zizoo36: 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
Prof. don dey shake table ooh grin
Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Johel(m): 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

Source

This one just carry grey hair....no single sense.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by youngrichnigga: 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
Wole Soyinka should just stay in the backgrounds, the youths have to fight for their future undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by KingLennon(m): 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
dhardline:
Omo never knew this man is going senile! cry
He puts his mouth where there is money

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by atobs4real(m): 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
Facts unfolding
We are watching

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: LP Leaders Used By Ex-Generals To Topple Democracy - Soyinka by Jostoman: 10:18am On Sep 14, 2023
E be like say na APC mode dey duty this morning grin

22 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari In London Ahead Of Syria Conference(photos) / Rivers Ups For Grabs As Wike's Romance With Tinubu Escalates / Atiku Lands In Uyo Ahead Of PDP Presidential Campaign Flag-Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.