Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,172 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

So Hard To Female Software Programmers - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So Hard To Female Software Programmers (2823 Views)

Why Is Python Programming So Hard To Understand / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find / Top 10 Richest Software Programmers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by qtguru(m): 5:34pm On Aug 17, 2022
in Andela we had quite alot, and I worked with one, stubborn child but very smart. In Interswitch we had like 6 or so and those devs na all Java ladies and one C.

Ladies dey but needs more numbers.

3 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 6:18pm On Aug 17, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

I remember those threads, especially that catalyst thread. The one in which the bias against women in tech was pathetic. The one in which none of my questions were answered—instead I was given the usual dose of "I can't come down to your level, are you a tech bro? Well, I don't have answers to your question, so I'm going to pretend you don't exist and continue to propagate baseless assumptions because that's what we want to chest bump on" from people who seemed so aggrieved that women should be given a chance as much as quota system black male immigrants in foreign countries.

They were asked for how it was preferential treatment and kept coming up with misogyny instead.

The good news is that those fringe views—from people who actually post woman abusing drivel on other threads (I decided to see if they were being impartial and alas they tend towards the worst spectrum of misogyny)—those fringe views can't stop the alleged "preferential treatment" of females.

I have some screenshots from those threads and I have purposely left out the monikers so it doesn't seem like I am throwing them under the bus

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Fourpockets: 7:15pm On Aug 17, 2022
qtguru:
in Andela we had quite alot, and I worked with one, stubborn child but very smart. In Interswitch we had like 6 or so and those devs na all Java ladies and one C.

Ladies dey but needs more numbers.

I disagree boss, we need more qualified people (men or women, young or old) who know what they're doing.
Having more "women in tech" won't make the Nigeria tech community as competitive as those in India, but having more qualified people that can think logically will

Just my opinion

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by BRATISLAVA: 7:18pm On Aug 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I have some screenshots from those threads and I have purposely left out the monikers so it doesn't seem like I am throwing them under the bus

It's pathetic that these guys actually think females in tech don't know anything. It's almost as if they are angry that the tech cookie has been shared and they can't leave smelly socks on the breakfast table any more.

I don't even believe those posts, because they aren't true to begin with. A lady who couldn't add and subtract was made a ... Because she is a lady. And she survives years like that. Low-grade fantasy. grin
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Fourpockets: 7:20pm On Aug 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

There are a lot of fields that reduces the standard for women so more can get in eg military even I Nigeria. So I can't say whether he's wrong or correct cos I don't have any experience in tech, but this isn't really a new thing.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 7:29pm On Aug 17, 2022
Fourpockets:

There are a lot of fields that reduces the standard for women so more can get in eg military even I Nigeria. So I can't say whether he's wrong or correct cos I don't have any experience in tech, but this isn't really a new thing.

Military doesn't lower standards for women. They set different standards because the male and the female bodies are different in size. Put medicine on the table. Or engineering. Are female surgeons less competent than their male counterparts? Do female surgeons get tested differently from their male colleagues?

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Fourpockets: 7:37pm On Aug 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Military doesn't lower standards for women. They set different standards because the male and the female bodies are different in size. Put medicine on the table. Or engineering. Are female surgeons less competent than their male counterparts? Do female surgeons get tested differently from their male colleagues?

Probably not, but he was kind of making a point either way

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by qtguru(m): 7:45pm On Aug 17, 2022
Fourpockets:

I disagree boss, we need more qualified people (men or women, young or old) who know what they're doing.
Having more "women in tech" won't make the Nigeria tech community as competitive as those in India, but having more qualified people that can think logically will

Just my opinion

Qualified ladies no doubt but at least an increase in ladies, not just hiring ladies for affirmative action.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by CaveAdullam: 8:19pm On Aug 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

The military doesn't lower standards for women. They set different standards because the male and the female bodies are different in size. Put medicine on the table. Or engineering. Are female surgeons less competent than their male counterparts? Do female surgeons get tested differently from their male colleagues?

Good day, English Prof.

1. I have been reading your comments in regards to the matter on the ground. You made same arguments some months ago. Your consistent take on the matter is that "women are less in the tech field because of misogyny". And of course, I disagree.

2. IQ/intelligence is always a topic people shy away from or reframe as racism when they are being classified by the bell curve of intelligence. This is always the case when people believe that man is " tabula rasa...his mind is a blank slate".

3. Both genetics and environment contribute to the intelligence of every individual. According to quality research and data with consistent similar results based on the bell curve of intelligence:
A. Category of people that are dumber in a population are men and they fall on the left side of the curve.

B. Women are slightly higher than men in average intelligence.

C. Category of people that have a higher intelligence in a population are men and they fall on the right side of the curve.

4. The military is not about size per se. Strategic military planning is required for winning battles. Men have a higher IQ than women, hence, they are assigned to be generals. Size matters but intelligence matter more.

5. Not only that, men are less neurotic than women. Men are more disagreeable than women. With a constant pumping of testosterone, men are strong and aggressive on the battlefield. Women are far on these qualities and for that reason don't get involved in tough military operations.

6. You call it misogyny because women are less in the tech field. Can you also say it's misandry when most times men are forcibly conscripted? Biology matters too, not just environmental influence.

7. The same principle applies to STEM fields. Women are less in those fields because those fields require higher IQ. Women are higher in neuroticism and can't manage the boredom and stress that comes with it. It is not a result of misogyny.

8. There are STEM programs that have created enough opportunities for women to participate without passing through the essential rigorous training for admission because they want more women, yet, many still admit fewer women.

9. Many companies now have allocated slots for women. No allocated slots for men, men must prove themselves, but in these companies, you just need to be a female and you will resume work the next day. This kind of policy is in place because they think evil patriarchy and misogyny are on top of the roof. Meanwhile, it is a matter of biology.

10. Angela Yu is a senior web developer, but how many women can you count before you get to 100 men? Few.

11. Nobody is a gatekeeper in the STEM field, prove your worth and you will be liberated. Ditto for other fields.

12. Environmental influences also contribute to intelligence and the well-being of an individual. However, intelligence is like a seed, it has the inherent capability to grow(genetics/biology), but once it is placed under the soil and other environmental factors interact with it, it grows.

14. If women study hard and put much attention to whatever field just like men, they will make waves. If dumber men can do it, women on average intelligence have a greater advantage.

15. Women are less in number in STEM fields not because of misogyny but because of their nature and biology.

Thanks.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 8:28pm On Aug 17, 2022
CaveAdullam:

Good day, English Prof.

1. I have been reading your comments in regards to the matter on the ground. You made same arguments some months ago. Your consistent take on the matter is that "women are less in the tech field because of misogyny". And of course, I disagree.

I don't want to address the other points because I'm not ready to engage in a long drawn battle. Apart from on this thread, can you provide references for where I made the bolded quote (putting it in quotes suggest you are quoting my words verbatim)

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by CaveAdullam: 8:51pm On Aug 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I don't want to address the other points because I'm not ready to engage in a long-drawn battle. Apart from on this thread, can you provide references for where I made the bolded quote (putting it in quotes suggest you are quoting my words verbatim)

You can cross-check your posts on other threads, sir.

PS: Quoting you verbatim or not in other threads don't matter. What matter is your opinion. And your opinion is that fewer women are in the tech field because of misogyny. This is the essence of my quoting you in the first place, and which I have addressed.

Have a nice day, prof.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2022
CaveAdullam:

You can cross-check your posts on other threads, sir.

PS: Quoting you verbatim or not in other threads don't matter. What matter is your opinion. And your opinion is that fewer women are in the tech field because of misogyny. This is the essence of my quoting you in the first place, and which I have addressed.

Have a nice day, prof.

Thanks.

Which is why I am asking for my post where you saw on inferred that from my post. I am 100% certain I have never made in inferred such. So until you can categorically quote a reference, please do not put words in my mouth
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by MadarasBlade(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2022
airsaylongcome:
It's not hard. There are loads of them. And very competent. But the misogyny in the field has compelled them to camouflage Loads of them on online forums disguise as male so they don't get discriminated against

What's this abeg?

We're talking about competence here. Smh
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by excanny: 9:16pm On Aug 17, 2022
Any special about being a female programmer?
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by JoyousFurnitire(m): 6:33am On Aug 18, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

South Africans are known to be lazy.... maybe that's why lol
Lmao grin
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by JoyousFurnitire(m): 6:44am On Aug 18, 2022
There're a lot of female devs in 9ja. A lot!

They may no lt be on this forum or decide not not add the (f) identity because this forum is something else (many are not normal here, maybe because it's faceless).

But go to Twitter/LinkedIn, they support female junior devs (across African, not 9ja only) with bootcamps and resources. Search for the bootcamps like SheCodeAfrica, girlsCanCode etc.

Infact the discrimination is now so much. You'll see companies/startups that have openings for female junior devs or designers only. Them what should happen to the male junior devs?

Search for the likes of Gift Egwenu, Adora Hack etc. on Twitter. Follow them, observe their interactions, check thier followers/following then come back here to create a new topic on your findings.

JoyousFurnitire:
I wonder if those discouraging the OP are in the tech sector. Kai undecided no wonder girls learn and get jobs faster than guys because there're active and fruitful online communities like girlsCanCode, sheCodeAfrica etc.

These communities help newbies (girls) get started, some even provide learning resources such as laptop, courses and internships. They do so many online and physical meetups.

Next you'll see a girl getting a job or internship within her first six months of learning how to code (all thanks to those communities) and you'll see a young guy struggling for 4 years to even get an internship placement undecided

OP please do the Lord's work.

3 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by meobizy(f): 9:14am On Aug 18, 2022
This should make front page for the thousandth time in this forum’s history.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 9:37am On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:
It's not hard. There are loads of them. And very competent. But the misogyny in the field has compelled them to camouflage. Loads of them on online forums disguise as male so they don't get discriminated against
Where's the evidence ? A lot of men fail in the industry and you'll think (who are lazy by default) will do better ? Do longer hours ? Able to deal with stress ?

How many of them in Sysadmin ?
Why are they also few in number US, Canada,Sweden,etc compared to men ? Nothing is preventing them.
How many of them are in Linux kernel development ? C and C++ ISO Committee ? Java Language ? Python Lang Dev ?

Just go sit down little weak thing. This is industry is competence based, you don't get by - MOST OF THE TIME - having a vagine.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by codewithfemi: 10:18am On Aug 18, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

This life is crazy o and me I always identify as a woman whenever I apply to jobs so I can get invited for an interview. grin grin

Lol this is so funny!
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by codewithfemi: 10:21am On Aug 18, 2022
Maxxim:
Op brought vawulence to this section.

I haven't seen anyone looking down on women in tech since I commenced some months back, I followed a lot of em on twitter including beginners like me, even on tiktok too. They are showed nothing else but love.

I think there's an increase in guys in programming cos most choose this path to escape from poverty compared to ladies who came from the average income house hold where they're been taken care of.

Hello ooo! How did I bring vawulence? I already made it clear that I am experiencing this South Africa and that have been away from Nigeria for some time now.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by codewithfemi: 10:28am On Aug 18, 2022
Agbebakun22:
wow same reply i got from various google search. Thanks but quick question to ask. What language will u recommend for a newbie? Tho i'm currently learning C cux it will be needed for the ALX program but it seems hard but i grasp more quick on learning python but if i may ask which one u think will be great for newbie or should i just focus on CS fundamental courses first. Thanks for ur first reply.

Python is always a good place to start. You can also start with C#, I have great content on my channel that can kick start you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wByQ5VO2JjA&list=PL57xxrAwKOGPjJfu3STCaR0LumPm-fjEL

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 10:44am On Aug 18, 2022
InfinityFabric:

Where's the evidence ? A lot of men fail in the industry and you'll think (who are lazy by default) will do better ? Do longer hours ? Able to deal with stress ?

How many of them in Sysadmin ?
Why are they also few in number US, Canada,Sweden,etc compared to men ? Nothing is preventing them.
How many of them are in Linux kernel development ? C and C++ ISO Committee ? Java Language ? Python Lang Dev ?

Just go sit down little weak thing. This is industry is competence based, you don't get by - MOST OF THE TIME - having a vagine.

The bolded is exactly what I am talking about. When women got into medicine and surgery the same insults were hurled at them that they were weak and incompetent and would never match a man. Years down the line I'm sure all of that has changed.

FYI I'm a male and I have been in tech since 1993 coding in BASIC and saving text-based RPGs on a radio cassette tape. I have been in this field long enough to know the animosity towards females in tech. But yeah, you are right, I'm a weakling

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Maxxim: 11:01am On Aug 18, 2022
codewithfemi:

Hello ooo! How did I bring vawulence? I already made it clear that I am experiencing this South Africa and that have been away from Nigeria for some time now.

It's actually a sensitive topic here due to various opinions and the fact that women get it easily here which to me looks more partial in favor of the females.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by codewithfemi: 11:38am On Aug 18, 2022
Maxxim:

It's actually a sensitive topic here due to various opinions and the fact that women get it easily here which to me looks more partial in favor of the females.

I get you but I would appreciate it if tech females in Nigeria can comment on this topic. I would like to hear from the horse's mouth rather than assumptions painted all over the place.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

No no sir. I don’t think you should use Nairaland as a metric, you know the kind of rabble that frequent this place. My own opinion is drawn from Twitter and there’s no negative energy towards ladies in tech at all.
The only negative I can even think of is that ladies in tech are more prone to being patronized by their male counterparts, which might prevent them from getting helpful feedback and constructive criticism.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 12:24pm On Aug 18, 2022
codewithfemi:

I get you but I would appreciate it if tech females in Nigeria can comment on this topic. I would like to hear from the horse's mouth rather than assumptions painted all over the place.

I really wish we could hear from tech sisters as well. I maybe wrong in my earlier opinions but I'd really like to hear from them here.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 2:26pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

The bolded is exactly what I am talking about.
I already presumed you're a male simping for females duh!

When women got into medicine and surgery the same insults were hurled at them that they were weak and incompetent and would never match a man. Years down the line I'm sure all of that has changed.
No, everywhere they go things get water down to their level or thinking. And for some reason you think Med is the hardest haha.
Med is for average people tho.

FYI I'm a male and I have been in tech since 1993 coding in BASIC and saving text-based RPGs on a radio cassette tape.
I presumed you're male duh! Females are in family, celebrity gossip section etc.

Please who's stopping females in 1993 to code ? Who ?

I have been in this field long enough to know the animosity towards females in tech. But yeah, you are right, I'm a weakling
Female in tech is like a male teacher in Kindergarten or Nursing. We only hear cries when it doesn't benefit female.
This is what happens when u make women your mental point of origin.

I've also tried training men and women, they're not as resilient as men. More men tried, more failed. Few women tried almost all failed.
That's the angle you're NOT looking at.

Science & Tech is historically a male-space, women should come and see if they fit in NOT we advertising them to come in, because they're not needed.
They'll just mess up the space like everything else.

Again in 2022, what's stopping the? With all these gynocentric nonsense: Girl code, Girls this Girl That that doesn't do more than Python anyways.
When will you root for boys who are the majority of willing participant tho ?
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 2:32pm On Aug 18, 2022
Lol! He said male simping. Comic relief. Yes females are not competent. And should not be in tech

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 2:33pm On Aug 18, 2022
Agbebakun22:
Thank you for your invaluable support. I really appreciate your time.
Any language is NOT okay.

Never start with Java. Although that's the lingua franca of most backend guys in Nigeria.

Continue your C, it's not that much.
Pick up the "Snake Lang" a.k.a Python.

After that, I'll suggest Go.

Also learn about: Computer Hardware (CPU, RAM, etc), Programming Lang: Algo & DS, Computer Networking, Cloud, Understand Cryptography etc
It's not just programming.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PowerCertAnimatedVideos/videos
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 2:39pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Lol! He said male simping. Comic relief. Yes females are not competent. And should not be in tech
Feelings! feelings! How many females have u tried training ?

I've asked simple quesion:
- How many females are in Linux, FreeBSD, Kernel Dev?
- How many females are in C, C++, Java, Language development ?
- How many females are in TSMC, Samsung, GloFlo, SMIC, making chips to be used by Apple, AMD, Qualcomm etc.
- In ASML? Making Photo-lithography machines
- How many females engineers in Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, Apple making processors ? Remember these are in California, HQ of "girl power"

And what's stopping them from going into these industries in US, Europe. Or are these also MISOGYNIST ?

Get me wrong if you like, but no one is saying they can't do it but:
- but the thing is most of them don't want to because they don't like it
- the little they do gets blown outta proportion.

Your 1993 is becoming a disgrace at this point. You should never have gone there.
Yes, stop simping for women. Maybe try training them first.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2022
InfinityFabric:

Feelings! feelings! How many females have u tried training ?

I've asked simple quesion:
- How many females are in Linux, FreeBSD, Kernel Dev?
- How many females are in C, C++, Java, Language development ?
- How many females are in TSMC, Samsung, GloFlo, SMIC, making chips to be used by Apple, AMD, Qualcomm etc.
- In ASML? Making Photo-lithography machines
- How many females engineers in Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, Apple making processors ? Remember these are in California, HQ of "girl power"

And what's stopping them from going into these industries in US, Europe. Or are these also MISOGYNIST ?

Your 1993 is becoming a disgrace at this point. You should never have gone there.
Yes, stop simping for women. Maybe try training them first.

Lol! You make a ton of very sweeping statements that are very laughable. How many guys have I trained? I don't need to go into the breakdown. But here on NL, I know how many guys I have spent my money to download Udemy courses, put them on a flash drive I bought and couriered it to them. Not one, not two, not ten. Downloaded 80GB content, bought 128gb flash drive and sent the materials of to them. And they don't know me, they don't have my phone number and have absolutely no way of returning the favour. I'm currently training a handful of male folks on the tech stack I work with. At absolutely NO COST to them. And sourcing proxy remote roles for them. But this isn't about me or what I have done to empower tech bros.

Like you said, I'll wear the "simping" badge. You are completely right bro.

Personally, I'm done with airing my views about this here on NL or anywhere. I wish all prospective tech folks the best as they pivot into the the field. Theres enough space for everyone of us to fly

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2022
argaret Hamilton.
Lleader of the team that developed the flight software for the agency's Apollo missions, has been granted a NASA Exceptional Space Act Award for her scientific and technical contributions.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11Hamilton.html

LISA SU, CEO of AMD, Worked at IBM too. EE engineer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Su

Who's saying women can't do shit, we are saying only few of them want to/can.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Html/css/javascript Tic-tac-toe Project / I Need A Good Software Developer / Hints Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.