Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,551 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

So Hard To Female Software Programmers - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So Hard To Female Software Programmers (2824 Views)

Why Is Python Programming So Hard To Understand / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find / Top 10 Richest Software Programmers In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! You make a ton of very sweeping statements that are very laughable. How many guys have I trained? I don't need to go into the breakdown. But here on NL, I know how many guys I have spent my money to download Udemy courses, put them on a flash drive I bought and couriered it to them. Not one, not two, not ten. Downloaded 80GB content, bought 128gb flash drive and sent the materials of to them. And they don't know me, they don't have my phone number and have absolutely no way of returning the favour. I'm currently training a handful of male folks on the tech stack I work with. At absolutely NO COST to them. And sourcing proxy remote roles for them. But this isn't about me or what I have done to empower tech bros.

Like you said, I'll wear the "simping" badge. You are completely right bro.

Personally, I'm done with airing my views about this here on NL or anywhere. I wish all prospective tech folks the best as they pivot into the the field. Theres enough space for everyone of us to fly
Oga please Just answer my questions.

I've asked simple question:
- How many females are in Linux, FreeBSD, Kernel Dev?
- How many females are in C, C++, Java, Language development ?
- How many females are in TSMC, Samsung, GloFlo, SMIC, making chips to be used by Apple, AMD, Qualcomm etc.
- In ASML? Making Photo-lithography machines
- How many females engineers in Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, Apple making processors ? Remember these are in California, HQ of "girl power".

What's stopping them. Or better go research it.
Or just leave our women alone, they don't like tech. SIMPLE

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by JoyousFurnitire(m): 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2022
codewithfemi:

Lol this is so funny!

Bro it's funny but I fit run am too grin Especially the way our world dey go lmao but until your male employer wan nack you grin
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by JoyousFurnitire(m): 5:01pm On Aug 18, 2022
codewithfemi:

I get you but I would appreciate it if tech females in Nigeria can comment on this topic. I would like to hear from the horse's mouth rather than assumptions painted all over the place.

This is not a safe space for them. Try Twitter. But one thing is sure, there are more Males than Females in tech.

But there are a lot of entry level/junior female devs and designers/product managers in 9ja.

We have a lot of communities that train newbies for free here but opportunity is scarce.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by BRATISLAVA: 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I really wish we could hear from tech sisters as well. I maybe wrong in my earlier opinions but I'd really like to hear from them here.

They really don't want to hear. Otherwise they would've listened from that thread that day. They now claim they have never heard from a tech sis before.

It's only the ghost of Hitler that will save tech bros, because they're a lost cause.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by pansophist(m): 6:24pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Come out in their true identity and get roasted? Even here in Nairaland I know how many threads I've been on were females in tech are denigrated. A lot of the guys hint that it's their feminity that got them their tech jobs. That's euphemism for sleeping around. Until the male folks learn to accept that females in tech (whether programming or otherwise) are equally as competent as males, the females will continue to disguise and leave us males to have our testosterone fuelled arguments

I thought this is getting old. Blaming things that could be understood if we dig deep enough on misogyny. Because there are few women in a particular field doesn't translate to discrimination, why does it always have to be women being the victim?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 6:33pm On Aug 18, 2022
Says who? Perhaps, in your circle. I know quite a number of them.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Fourpockets: 6:49pm On Aug 18, 2022
InfinityFabric:

I already presumed you're a male simping for females duh!

No, everywhere they go things get water down to their level or thinking. And for some reason you think Med is the hardest haha.
Med is for average people tho.

I presumed you're male duh! Females are in family, celebrity gossip section etc.

Please who's stopping females in 1993 to code ? Who ?

Female in tech is like a male teacher in Kindergarten or Nursing. We only hear cries when it doesn't benefit female.
This is what happens when u make women your mental point of origin.

I've also tried training men and women, they're not as resilient as men. More men tried, more failed. Few women tried almost all failed.
That's the angle you're NOT looking at.

Science & Tech is historically a male-space, women should come and see if they fit in NOT we advertising them to come in, because they're not needed.
They'll just mess up the space like everything else.

Again in 2022, what's stopping the? With all these gynocentric nonsense: Girl code, Girls this Girl That that doesn't do more than Python anyways.
When will you root for boys who are the majority of willing participant tho ?

Calling women "females" all the time sound uncomfortable in my ears
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Karleb(m): 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2022
Fourpockets:

Are you in anyway a transgender?

Whenever I see a job that's strictly for female, I feel bad. Because it's sexist.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 9:21pm On Aug 18, 2022
Karleb:

Are you in anyway a transgender?

Whenever I see a job that's strictly for female, I feel bad. Because it's sexist.

How about jobs that place a limit on age? Or jobs that require you to be be a private Uni grad? Or federal Uni grad
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Karleb(m): 9:49pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

How about jobs that place a limit on age? Or jobs that require you to be be a private Uni grad? Or federal Uni grad

Frankly speaking, aside age limit, I have not seen any job that requires strictly private or public Uni education. I'm not saying they don't exist tho.

As for age limit, that has been causing issues since ages. Some people even hate the fact that a job requires cover letter.

My point is, gender based requirement is sexist unless of course a gender's private part will increase their output, doesn't matter whether it's male or female.

Also, you can't conquer one form of hatred with another.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 10:20pm On Aug 18, 2022
Karleb:

Frankly speaking, aside age limit, I have not seen any job that requires strictly private or public Uni education. I'm not saying they don't exist tho.

As for age limit, that has been causing issues since ages. Some people even hate the fact that a job requires cover letter.

My point is, gender based requirement is sexist unless of course a gender's private part will increase their output, doesn't matter whether it's male or female.

Also, you can't conquer one form of hatred with another.

I'm not conquering hate with hate. Just trying to put the cards on the table. There are tech roles in the US reserved for people of color (Black's and other minorities). Would a white person not consider that racist?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 10:27pm On Aug 18, 2022
Fourpockets:

Female: opposite of male; girl, women.

Perhaps you need to start from Elementary school. So that's you take away from everything I wrote: Nothing.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Karleb(m): 10:31pm On Aug 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I'm not conquering hate with hate. Just trying to put the cards on the table. There are tech roles in the US reserved for people of color (Black's and other minorities). Would a white person not consider that racist?

I'm not saying you are. I'm just saying generally.

I think reserving a role for black people just because of their color is racist even though I'm black.

It's like reserving a role for white people specifically because of their color.

The way to conquer this is to eliminate whatever constraint serving as hindrance for a specific set of people not to create another problem as a solution to a problem.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Karleb(m): 10:33pm On Aug 18, 2022
InfinityFabric:

Female: opposite of male; girl, women.

Perhaps you need to start from Elementary school. So that's you take away from everything I wrote: Nothing.

This is 2022.

Definition of woman, female, gender etc. has changed.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by InfinityFabric: 10:43pm On Aug 18, 2022
Karleb:

This is 2022.

Definition of woman, female, gender etc. has changed.
Yea, to the mentally unstable. Go tell you mama that one, that a woman can now have penis and a man can now get pregnant.

Olodo oshi!
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Karleb(m): 11:13pm On Aug 18, 2022
InfinityFabric:

Yea, to the mentally unstable. Go tell you mama that one, that a woman can now have penis and a man can now get pregnant.

Olodo oshi!

I don’t even know why you are angry right now.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by BRATISLAVA: 12:47am On Aug 19, 2022
Rgade:

No no sir. I don’t think you should use Nairaland as a metric, you know the kind of rabble that frequent this place. My own opinion is drawn from Twitter and there’s no negative energy towards ladies in tech at all.
The only negative I can even think of is that ladies in tech are more prone to being patronized by their male counterparts, which might prevent them from getting helpful feedback and constructive criticism.

It's interesting to see that for pages boys in tech have refused to read comments, and only comment on things that support their assumptions on women in tech, based on arguments that are frequent in the romance section of the forum. Imagine a tech thread carrying red pill talk points and the word "simp" and long posts about the military and other trash. Yet they say there's no discrimination, but display it at such an ingrained level so adamantly. A lot can work with tech but are not educated in any form. On Twitter they pretend then come here to express their true inclinations.

The fact that these male users keep looking for evidence of women in tech when it's right in front of them, because they don't want to believe it is possible without trivializing women as incompetent, is enough reason this thread should be closed. The pit level of testosterone oozing from it is booming.

Ridiculous, devalued thread.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 7:09am On Aug 19, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

It's interesting to see that for pages boys in tech have refused to read comments, and only comment on things that support their assumptions on women in tech, based on arguments that are frequent in the romance section of the forum. Imagine a tech thread carrying red pill talk points and the word "simp" and long posts about the military and other trash. Yet they say there's no discrimination, but display it at such an ingrained level so adamantly. A lot can work with tech but are not educated in any form. On Twitter they pretend then come here to express their true inclinations.

The fact that these male users keep looking for evidence of women in tech when it's right in front of them, because they don't want to believe it is possible without trivializing women as incompetent, is enough reason this thread should be closed. The pit level of testosterone oozing from it is booming.

grin I laughed hard at this.
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by codewithfemi: 7:19am On Aug 19, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:

Bro it's funny but I fit run am too grin Especially the way our world dey go lmao but until your male employer wan nack you grin

grin grin what a world we live in.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by MadarasBlade(m): 10:19am On Aug 19, 2022
airsaylongcome:

The bolded is exactly what I am talking about. When women got into medicine and surgery the same insults were hurled at them that they were weak and incompetent and would never match a man. Years down the line I'm sure all of that has changed.

FYI I'm a male and I have been in tech since 1993 coding in BASIC and saving text-based RPGs on a radio cassette tape. I have been in this field long enough to know the animosity towards females in tech. But yeah, you are right, I'm a weakling

Nobody gives a shit if you've been coding with punch cards.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Fourpockets: 10:30am On Aug 19, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

what are you even saying

Edit

I just checked your posts, nevermind

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 10:43am On Aug 19, 2022
MadarasBlade:

Nobody gives a shit if you've been coding with punch cards.

K

Funny thing is in 1993, my secondary school got a batch of Computers donated by the PTA. My now wife wasn't allowed to touch the computers because "she's a girl, she will spoil it". This is someone whose dad studied computer science in the 70s and had used at least 3pcs at home including a Mac. She wasn't allowed to touch the computers because she was a lady whereas boys with zero experience of computers and no knowledge of what a diskette is were allowed to touch the computers because "they play computer games (video game consoles)".

Rubbish

So from the days of Punch cards until now, women in tech have been nightmares and sources of fear for lily livered men. Over 60 years after, that hasn't changed. Men like you still don't want women in tech. E no get as e wan be wey e never be before

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 19, 2022
airsaylongcome:

K

Funny thing is in 1993, my secondary school got a batch of Computers donated by the PTA. My now wife wasn't allowed to touch the computers because "she's a girl, she will spoil it". This is someone whose dad studied computer science in the 70s and had used at least 3pcs at home including a Mac. She wasn't allowed to touch the computers because she was a lady whereas boys with zero experience of computers and no knowledge of what a diskette is were allowed to touch the computers because "they play computer games (video game consoles)".

Rubbish

So from the days of Punch cards until now, women in tech have been nightmares and sources of fear for lily livered men. Over 60 years after, that hasn't changed. Men like you still don't want women in tech. E no get as e wan be wey e never be before
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by BRATISLAVA: 2:32pm On Aug 19, 2022
Fourpockets:
what are you even saying

Edit

I just checked your posts, nevermind

Predictable response. Next!

This thread is too uneducated. Too much testosterone. Even reading to understand is getting hard for the bros. Assumptions come much more easily than educated thoughts.

The good news is that women will continue to be in tech and continue to take up roles you feel they don't deserve. Same way you want your minority black Nigerian dick-twitching to give you roles where whites are more in population in tech in foreign countries and ought to have them instead of you. If not, cries of racism and discrimination. It isn't preferential treatment then.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by genaro2000(m): 10:50am On Aug 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

The bolded is exactly what I am talking about. When women got into medicine and surgery the same insults were hurled at them that they were weak and incompetent and would never match a man. Years down the line I'm sure all of that has changed.

FYI I'm a male and I have been in tech since 1993 coding in BASIC and saving text-based RPGs on a radio cassette tape. I have been in this field long enough to know the animosity towards females in tech. But yeah, you are right, I'm a weakling
That you have been coding since 1993 doesn’t mean that you know everything. The guys arguing with you were giving you some points but you are seeing it because you are only looking for a fault in their comments perceive to attack you or women. Please read them again without being emotional.
I don’t have any problem having majority of the gender in tech as women. But the problem is that majority of our women are not really interested, not because there are no opportunities for women.
And also I think having gender preferential treatment will only do us more harm than good.
You can watch this video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzmQVejR6a8

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by airsaylongcome: 11:25am On Aug 20, 2022
genaro2000:

That you have been coding since 1993 doesn’t mean that you know everything. The guys arguing with you were giving you some points but you are seeing it because you are only looking for a fault in their comments perceive to attack you or women. Please read them again without being emotional.
I don’t have any problem having majority of the gender in tech as women. But the problem is that majority of our women are not really interested, not because there are no opportunities for women.
And also I think having gender preferential treatment will only do us more harm than good.
You can watch this video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzmQVejR6a8

My comment about 1993 is because I have been in this coding/Tech stuff for very long seeing all of this discrimination. I have seen people stop girls from touching computers because they are girls, but allow guys touch it because they can play computer games. I know a girl who back in the 1990s could use Lotus 123 and Dbase IV and wasn't allowed to touch her school computer.

You talk about gender preferential treatment. Would Americans not complain about preferential treatment given to blacks? Would black people have been able to make progress in tech if there wasn't preferential treatment given to encourage them into the field? With American roles do you know how many of us complain that they discriminate against us with those jobs?

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by genaro2000(m): 1:03pm On Aug 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

My comment about 1993 is because I have been in this coding/Tech stuff for very long seeing all of this discrimination. I have seen people stop girls from touching computers because they are girls, but allow guys touch it because they can play computer games. I know a girl who back in the 1990s could use Lotus 123 and Dbase IV and wasn't allowed to touch her school computer.

You talk about gender preferential treatment. Would Americans not complain about preferential treatment given to blacks? Would black people have been able to make progress in tech if there wasn't preferential treatment given to encourage them into the field? With American roles do you know how many of us complain that they discriminate against us with those jobs?
Well maybe there was discrimination in the 1990s in tech, I don’t know but that was 30 years ago, and you and I know that even 5 years in tech is a very long time as things move very fast.
Women generally due to nature won’t be interested in tech because that’s not how they are wired,at least there are other fields where they are dominant. Let’s not kid ourselves, PROGRAMMING IS HARD, one needs a lot of resilience to break through, how many women can be that persistent, a very few of them,even when I was in secondary school in late 1990s/early 2000s or so when we had to choose between intro-tech and home economics, only 2 girls out of almost 70girls chose intro-tech, so what are we talking about.
So I think it’s based on interest not discrimination, because despite what other said about women getting preferential treatment, we still have less than 24 % of women in tech.

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by BRATISLAVA: 1:54pm On Aug 20, 2022
genaro2000:

Well maybe there was discrimination in the 1990s in tech, I don’t know but that was 30 years ago, and you and I know that even 5 years in tech is a very long time as things move very fast.
Women generally due to nature won’t be interested in tech because that’s not how they are wired,at least there are other fields where they are dominant. Let’s not kid ourselves, PROGRAMMING IS HARD, one needs a lot of resilience to break through, how many women can be that persistent, a very few of them,even when I was in secondary school in late 1990s/early 2000s or so when we had to choose between intro-tech and home economics, only 2 girls out of almost 70girls chose intro-tech, so what are we talking about.
So I think it’s based on interest not discrimination, because despite what other said about women getting preferential treatment, we still have less than 24 % of women in tech.

This is 2022. Grow out of stereotypes of 30 years ago.

(Who told you girls don't want tech? Are you a girl? ARE YOU? You aren't, but you want to speak for them. Because you corralled them into the kitchen at home and home economics in school, it really means they don't want to be in tech? Corral them into sciences and see if there's anything different between learning for either gender. Preferential treatment indeed.)
Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by genaro2000(m): 2:49pm On Aug 20, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

This is 2022. Grow out of stereotypes of 30 years ago.

(Who told you girls don't want tech? Are you a girl? ARE YOU? You aren't, but you want to speak for them. Because you corralled them into the kitchen at home and home economics in school, it really means they don't want to be in tech? Corral them into sciences and see if there's anything different between learning for either gender. Preferential treatment indeed.)
Sorry I can’t have any logical discussion with you, your emotional outbursts won’t let you through the facts on ground. So there’s no point

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Agbebakun22: 5:29pm On Aug 20, 2022
codewithfemi:

Python is always a good place to start. You can also start with C#, I have great content on my channel that can kick start you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wByQ5VO2JjA&list=PL57xxrAwKOGPjJfu3STCaR0LumPm-fjEL
thank u boss

1 Like

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by Telegon: 8:46pm On Aug 20, 2022
Even in European countries with strong gender equality, most ladies still shun engineering compare to men. So I don't understand why we're mounting their apathy on misogyny.

2 Likes

Re: So Hard To Female Software Programmers by BRATISLAVA: 3:55am On Aug 21, 2022
genaro2000:

Sorry I can’t have any logical discussion with you, your emotional outbursts won’t let you through the facts on ground. So there’s no point

Usual pathetic response from yet another misogynist. The bold parts of your post were so illogical they needed to be called out.

So you aren't a girl, but you've concluded what they want or don't want in life, what they can and cannot do. Because tech couldn't possibly be for them. You and the army of misogynists have determined that. That way you can claim they don't want it. The same way Whites determined black men are good for nothing except slave work. Otherwise that would be preferential treatment to have them (negroes) leave the cotton fields to become human, because blacks can't think and have the IQ of apes.

Go back 3, 000 years in time. It's where your ideologies on women belong.

This forum is full of the unwashed.

You all learned to code, but poverty and it's stereotypes about women are still deeply ingrained in you. Good news is, the people who invented technology will continue to give women opportunities and if you don't like it, you will come to air your uneducated views.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Html/css/javascript Tic-tac-toe Project / I Need A Good Software Developer / Hints Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.