Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. (53462 Views)

Price War: Ethiopian Airlines On Lagos -london Route Now Cheaper Than Air Peace / Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crashes With 157 People On Board / God Is Good Bus Crashes After Driver Allegedly Slept Off On Steering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by 2pacamarushakur(m): 6:18pm On Aug 19, 2022
FrauleinBlossom:
Some pilots have reported that they often sleep off in the middle of the flight, I guess it's for the reason that there is no traffic or gridlock in the air, and it makes the whole thing boring. Lol
I concur
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by sleek82(m): 6:31pm On Aug 19, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
Anyway

Planes are not like cars.

A pilot can sleep as long as auto pilot is in place.

But then, i don't think i want a sleeping pilot on my plane
how would you know is the big question...cockpit is always locked
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Ashley86400: 6:32pm On Aug 19, 2022
NwaNimo1:
....make dem teach 'autopilot' to take off and land planes!

[img]https://giffiles./216/216347.gif[/img]

....Pilot job should be phased out - let a robot do the job!

Autopilots already can.
But it was clearly not set to do so, hence why it disengaged.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Caseywilliams(m): 6:39pm On Aug 19, 2022
grin grin

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by jaxxy(m): 6:40pm On Aug 19, 2022
Pilot fatigue should be taken seriously.

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Akharmony: 6:41pm On Aug 19, 2022
No b juju b that. .
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by rickleye: 6:45pm On Aug 19, 2022
Wow, this is an easy fixed.
Have the stewardess do a 30 min check-in or have the pilots press a button every 30min to alert the crew that they are awake.

On a lighter note. The noise the autopilot would have been making would have been crazy ..... wowowowowowowowowowobeeepbeeepbeeepringringrorngringring... -------------- would have woken up.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by rickleye: 6:47pm On Aug 19, 2022
sleek82:
how would you know is the big question...cockpit is always locked

Pilots occasionally doze off / nod off or read a magazine. Its not that there are traffic lights . It would be rare for female pilots as they would be gossiping talking all through the flight.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Fablez616: 6:52pm On Aug 19, 2022
Fatigue is real. Its happened sometimes. Even me wey be student self no left out.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by MissionaryArchi(m): 6:54pm On Aug 19, 2022
So this autopilot can be this accurate and reliable, how comes studying to be a pilot cost a great fortune and time only to fly the plane on Autopilot.
This thing sef i no understand
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by westfield: 7:01pm On Aug 19, 2022
Auto pilot can land a plane but for it to do that the pilot was supposed to have started the decent so the auto pilot will synchronise with the ILS for decend

NwaNimo1:

[img]https://giffiles./216/216347.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Ykc2(m): 7:07pm On Aug 19, 2022
See technology tomorrow one tribe for nigeria go tell say dem be sophisticated people like na their father invent television
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Anndrew(m): 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2022
thebosstrevor1:
Anyway

hmmm..this is another auto pilot

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by mekybabe1: 7:13pm On Aug 19, 2022
Haa..lawd..that's the airline I'm meant to fly next month o.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Itulah(m): 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2022
NwaNimo1:

At the bolded, it is very possible only if:

1) The runway meet Category III C standard.
2) The ILS (Instrument Landing System) also meet the standard.
3) And the Avionics instrument onboard the aircraft has the necessary facility to receive and adapt accordingly.

So many airfield worldwide hasn't met these standards except few and pilot training is also a shortfall.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Yankee101: 7:33pm On Aug 19, 2022
No wonder their safety record is terrible
They have one of the highest crash rates in the industry
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by ChicagoBar(m): 7:39pm On Aug 19, 2022
I board this airling 2016 on my way to India .. very nice ...
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by aestake: 7:46pm On Aug 19, 2022
temitope27:
Addis Ababa witches are powerful grin grin cheesy

Jokes of the century grin cheesy grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin
They are being overused! I meant the pilots.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by spartachico(m): 8:08pm On Aug 19, 2022
The headlines on this platform is confusing sometimes
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Shascky33: 8:19pm On Aug 19, 2022
Yemlizzy:
A joke or reality??
bad news makes the best jokes. How 2 pilots go sleep?
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by TheGift: 8:52pm On Aug 19, 2022
jeromestarks:
I remembered boarding this airline in 2007. Nice airline. What happened to them?

Nothing happened to Ethiopian Airlines. And nothing happened to their Pilots beyond common "Pilot fatigue" as indicated in the article.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Nyanabo(m): 8:55pm On Aug 19, 2022
jeromestarks:
I remembered boarding this airline in 2007. Nice airline. What happened to them?

They are the largest African indigenious National carrier.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Reference(m): 8:59pm On Aug 19, 2022
TimmyTen:
Once you log the destination and set the GPS, the Plane on proceed on auto-pilot, but the nap shouldn’t last longer than the travel time.

What are you implying.
Because of autopilot bot pilots are permitted to doze off.
What about flight emergencies.
They were rightfully suspended because they are at liberty to report fatigue and stress to the company, the union and finally the civil aviation authority if they are being overworked.
What if the autopilot disengagement warning alarm was faulty?....MH370 all over again.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by sleek82(m): 8:59pm On Aug 19, 2022
rickleye:

Pilots occasionally doze off / nod off or read a magazine. Its not that there are traffic lights . It would be rare for female pilots as they would be gossiping talking all through the flight.
or doing what I'm thinking grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by Reference(m): 9:00pm On Aug 19, 2022
TheGift:

Nothing happened to Ethiopian Airlines. And nothing happened to their Pilots beyond common "Pilot fatigue" as indicated in the article.

It is not common.
Ethiopian airlines is becoming notorious for this.

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by mmsen: 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2022
jeromestarks:

They're still good pilot fatigue is not unique to any one airline. All these airlines run their staff into the ground.
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by rickleye: 9:14pm On Aug 19, 2022
[quote author=sleek82 post=115865747]or doing what I'm thinking grin grin grin[/quote

Lol .. dude you're on your own mate !
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Pilots Didn't Land The Plane Because They Had Slept Off. by tunde1200(m): 9:32pm On Aug 19, 2022
Is not like that bro.
Aircraft are not designed for pilot to sleep even one minute even when in autopilot mode you must not through the flight.

thebosstrevor1:
Anyway

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pregnant Woman And Her Child Crushed To Death In Ebonyi (Disturbing Photos) / Abakaliki, The Salt City, Serene And Beautiful / 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.