Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,584 members, 7,823,526 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes (1492 Views)

Apple Eyes Home Robots As Potential Next Big Thing / I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... / Coffeescript: Javascript That’s Easy On The Eyes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by chukwuebuka65(m): 9:49pm On Aug 20, 2022
Seun , your frontpage layout hurts my eyes. The Topics are so clustered together. I think they need margin , top or bottom, or maybe they should be bolder or whatever . i just cant read them with ease. Secondly, i think this forum looks old school or maybe not, just my opinion. And why does the bottom links to next page inside a thread open in a new window , not even tab but on a new window!
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2022
I don't know why I think you're really an intelligent fellow in real life.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Not about this your post tho!
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by jeromestarks: 10:24pm On Aug 20, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Maybe I'm wrong.

He could be smart.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by dawnomike(m): 10:26pm On Aug 20, 2022
jeromestarks:

He could be smart.
Smart might be an understatement to describe him...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Fourpockets: 1:07am On Aug 21, 2022
chukwuebuka65:
Seun , your frontpage layout hurts my eyes. The Topics are so clustered together. I think they need margin , top or bottom, or maybe they should be bolder or whatever . i just cant read them with ease. Secondly, i think this forum looks old school or maybe not, just my opinion. And why does the bottom links to next page inside a thread open in a new window , not even tab but on a new window!

Especially on wider screens, on phones it's even manageable
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by chukwuebuka65(m): 1:21am On Aug 21, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the complement.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by chukwuebuka65(m): 1:23am On Aug 21, 2022
Fourpockets:

Especially on wider screens, on phones it's even manageable

It seems the guy doesn’t even care

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by CyberHustle: 5:10pm On Aug 21, 2022
What I propose to Seun is an alternative CSS. Allow for users to optionally load a different CSS file. This will overwrite as much of the current CSS as it has been programmed to and offer those who are ready for larger page size or more date usage to have alternative.

CSS naturally overwrite effects in appearance order so in a list of CSS A, CSS B and CSS C in that order, what is in CSS C overrides whatever coincides with CSS A & B. My two cents.

Let me add though that I think this current design looks neat but too simple for what light CSS can do.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2022
CyberHustle:
What I propose to Seun is an alternative CSS. Allow for users to optionally load a different CSS file. This will overwrite as much of the current CSS as it has been programmed to and offer those who are ready for larger page size or more date usage to have alternative.

CSS naturally overwrite effects in appearance order so in a list of CSS A, CSS B and CSS C in that order, what is in CSS C overrides whatever coincides with CSS A & B. My two cents.

Let me add though that I think this current design looks neat but too simple for what light CSS can do.

Apart from your last paragraph.
Uv made 0 sense

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by CyberHustle: 8:46pm On Aug 21, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Apart from your last paragraph.
Uv made 0 sense
I know I made sense. May be it was too complex for your brain to decipher.
Even in Yahoo and Gmail front ends, they options to load different CSS for users on powerful devices and not so powerful ones.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 21, 2022
CyberHustle:
I know I made sense. May be it was too complex for your brain to decipher.
Even in Yahoo and Gmail front ends, they options to load different CSS for users on powerful devices and not so powerful ones.

OK... I get ur point now..
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 12:09am On Aug 22, 2022
A lot pf people criticize Nairaland but what they fail to understand is that the current minimalist design is the secret to its success.

Nairaland is very light and responsive. It works on all screens.

It is not resource hungry and it loads very fast.

We all know that the site design is old but we tend to forget that the google design is older.

Nairaland is a forum.

The areas i would like seun to work on would be on security, moderation and features.

Nairaland could have been advanced into Africa’s Facebook

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 12:58am On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:
A lot pf people criticize Nairaland but what they fail to understand is that the current minimalist design is the secret to its success.

We all know that the site design is old but we tend to forget that the google design is older.

Nairaland is a forum.

The areas i would like seun to work on would be on security, moderation and features.

That is not the secret to its success... they are many beautiful successful websites
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 1:03am On Aug 22, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
That is not the secret to its success... they are many beautiful successful websites

Please share which one has the same Nigerian success and let's review.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

Nairaland is a forum.

True. People need to stop give NL all this stick.
Nairaland is a forum like you said. It’s like an online newspaper stand where you come to read news and argue with people you don’t know.
The forum literally only needs EDGE network to load grin
NL is perfect for what it is unless you want seun to build an entirely new project altogether.
But one thing that really needs to be sorted out is navigating pages inside a thread. One has to be able to go to a specific page within a thread or at least cover a long distance when clicking next.
Imagine moving through a thread with 100s of pages and you’re only able to move 3 pages at a time. This kind of improvement would take a lot of work and that’s the kind of improvement needed not css padding and fancy background gradients grin
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 1:52am On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

Please share which one has the same Nigerian success and let's review.

Are u 4king kidding me?

grin
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 8:49am On Aug 22, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Are u 4king kidding me?

grin

You can only complain yet offer no evidence.

Mention one other Nigerian website with the same daily contributors, influence, social relevance and membership like Nairaland.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 8:53am On Aug 22, 2022
Rgade:

True. People need to stop give NL all this stick.
Nairaland is a forum like you said. It’s like an online newspaper stand where you come to read news and argue with people you don’t know.
The forum literally only needs EDGE network to load grin
NL is perfect for what it is unless you want seun to build an entirely new project altogether.
But one thing that really needs to be sorted out is navigating pages inside a thread. One has to be able to go to a specific page within a thread or at least cover a long distance when clicking next.
Imagine moving through a thread with 100s of pages and you’re only able to move 3 pages at a time. This kind of improvement would take a lot of work and that’s the kind of improvement needed not css padding and fancy background gradients grin

True.

Another thing is that Seun should introducing upvoting and downvoting comments just like Reddit. He should also introduce comment threading.

Rubbish comments would be relegated to the rear.

This would make only relevant comments stay on the first page
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Karleb(m): 9:37am On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

Mention one other Nigerian website with the same daily contributors, influence, social relevance and membership like Nairaland.

There is none.

Others are popular on twitter but none compares to NL.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

How do u define success?
By the amount/money the site makes or by number of users?

You said the secret to Nairaland success lies on its ugly design.... i said NO! They are many beautiful successful websites.

The secret to Nairaland success is just time and luck... Nairaland was lucky to be one of Nigeria's first forum if not the first forum nothing more... Yet it is still not THAT successful... newer companies of 2-3 years old are worth more than Nairaland.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 1:14pm On Aug 22, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

How do u define success?
By the amount/money the site makes or by number of users?

You said the secret to Nairaland success lies on its ugly design.... i said NO! They are many beautiful successful websites.

The secret to Nairaland success is just time and luck... Nairaland was lucky to be one of Nigeria's first forum if not the first forum nothing more... Yet it is still not THAT successful... newer companies of 2-3 years old are worth more than Nairaland.

For you to ask how to measure a forum's success and not understand it is about the user engagement shows you are shallow on the subject.

Do you know how many sites have come up as competition to Nairaland and flopped in the last 10 years?

I asked that you mention names of the successful forums but you conveniently skip that part.

To you, the design is ugly. To millions of users, it is non obtrusive.

PS: Just went through some of your posts and can see you look for 'scripts' to clone for your wordpress projects. Try to sit down and write complete web projects on your own and you would understand the effort Seun put into this project.

If you think Nairaland is so bad, make yours and let's see. Afterall, you know where to get your 'scripts'.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

For you to ask how to measure a forum's success and not understand it is about the user engagement shows you are shallow on the subject.

Do you know how many sites have come up as competition to Nairaland and flopped in the last 10 years?

I asked that you mention names of the successful forums but you conveniently skip that part.

To you, the design is ugly. To millions of users, it is non obtrusive.

PS: Just went through some of your posts and can see you look for 'scripts' to clone for your wordpress projects. Try to sit down and write complete web projects on your own and you would understand the effort Seun put into this project.

If you think Nairaland is so bad, make yours and let's see. Afterall, you know where to get your 'scripts'.

Lols clown...
Nairaland actual real members is around 500k.
Lindaikeji blog is more valuable than nairaland.

Websites/Apps less than 2 years old with less than 100k members are more valuable than nairaland.

PS... I don't look for scripts to clone.... i do a jobs based o customer request and i don't reinvent the wheel... something u wouldn't understand because u have zero paying jobs on ur portfolio.

At ur time and convenient... u can battle me on algorithms or any project of ur choosing... here on NL.

And yes.. NL design is ugly!!!
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Lols clown...

Websites/Apps less than 2 years old with less than 100k members are more valuable than nairaland.

PS... I don't look for scripts to clone.... i do a jobs based o customer request and i don't reinvent the wheel... something u wouldn't understand because u have zero paying jobs on ur portfolio.

At ur time and convenient... u can battle me on algorithms or any project of ur choosing... here on NL.

LOL

The only thing you say on every thread you troll is that people should battle you on algorithms.

You have said it so many times on so many threads, i guess the only thing you know is some array sorting algorithms.

You mention lindaikeji and it comes to no surprise...Your best attempts would possibly be some template-based wordpress vomits which is why you are always looking for 'scripts' all over the internet.

Your type hunts for templates and ready-made projects everywhere and mash them up together.

Share your projects here and let's see what you can do (or have done) and let's review.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

LOL

The only thing you say on every thread you troll is that people should battle you on algorithms.

You have said it so many times on so many threads, i guess the only thing you know is some array sorting algorithms.

You mention lindaikeji and it comes to no surprise...Your best attempts would possibly be some template-based wordpress vomits which is why you are always looking for 'scripts' all over the internet.

Your type hunts for templates and ready-made projects everywhere and mash them up together.

Share your projects here and let's see what you can do (or have done) and let's review.

When you're ready sir.
Buzz me.... the only thing I know is array sorting algorithms.... seriously yes!

I buys scripts from codecanyon and themeforest, every blessed day... that's a fact lol...

like I really do... Every blessed day!

It's easier, sweeter and better pay. grin

If u had asked me 7 years ago when showing of stupid projects meant something to me... would have sent u my GitHub..

I know u have less than 1 year experience in this field.... n still hoping for remote jobs.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 4:15pm On Aug 22, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

When you're ready sir.
Buzz me.... the only thing I know is array sorting algorithms.... seriously yes!

I buys scripts from codecanyon and themeforest, every blessed day... that's a fact lol...

like I really do... Every blessed day!

It's easier, sweeter and better pay. grin

If u had asked me 7 years ago when showing of stupid projects meant something to me... would have sent u my GitHub..

I know u have less than 1 year experience in this field.... n still hoping for remote jobs.

You have 7 years experience and you are still buying 'scripts' for wordpress sites....and you dont have any set of projects you can tie to your name, even as a show-off that you are?

I dont want your kind of experience.

You are nothing but a bend-down-select wordpress template tailor.

If e sure for you, share your projects. Till then, run along.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

You have 7 years experience and you are still buying 'scripts' for wordpress sites....and you dont have any set of projects you can tie to your name, even as a show-off that you are?

Mumu....
You'll never see any of my projects... Cry from now till next Year.
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by truthCoder: 4:46pm On Aug 22, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Mumu....
You'll never see any of my projects... Cry from now till next Year.

nemo dat quod non habet
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 22, 2022
truthCoder:

nemo dat quod non habet

Mumu.../Ewu
Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by RepoMan007: 11:51am On Aug 23, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Lols clown...

Talking from experience. If only you can have about 200 accounts to derail careers of web dev then 500k members for Nairaland may even be a lil bit generous estimate.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by RepoMan007: 11:56am On Aug 23, 2022
truthCoder:

He is a wannabe yahoo boy. He switched IT line from record keeping to hospitality and has yahoo ambitions. No project in 7 years. Not even screenshot of half page but he has energy and time to be here to post "ugly" and "horseshit" all month round. He just started posting about fonts colors and borders after I hit his alternate moniker real hard three days ago. Many very wicked male accounts on this site.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by RepoMan007: 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2022
truthCoder:

bend down select indeed. Instead of him to call his yahoo exposed mentor in Edo and ask for material to learn nominalization of db and OOP, he is tying people career down and tracking them here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Frontpage Hurts My Eyes by basketballseek: 8:22pm On Aug 23, 2022
Try to use free website that can generate fonts which is good for your eyes and also look catchy. I normally use font changer extensions for that purpose.

(1) (2) (Reply)

All You Need To Become A Web3.0/Blockchain Developer in 2023/2024. / I Need Your Help To Evaluate My Apps. / Other Ways To Make It In Life As Part From Coding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.