Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,353 members, 7,860,919 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:00 PM

2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States (449 Views)

Wike Slams Atiku, Vows To Remain In PDP / 2023: Ex-Senators, Others Storm Alaafin, Olubadan Palaces, Woo Them For Tinubu / I’ll Sell 90% Of NNPC If Elected, Atiku Vows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by ogododo: 4:01pm On Aug 22, 2022
Atiku said that the Federal Government does not have enough resources to maintain all the universities.

The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has vowed to hand universities under the control of the Federal Government to state governments if elected the president in the 2023 general elections.

The former Vice President stated this on Monday while as a panelist at the ongoing 2022 Nigerian Bar Association’s (NBA) Annual General Conference held at the Eko Atlantic City in Lagos State.
According to a Channels TV report, Atiku said that the Federal Government does not have enough resources to maintain all the universities, while he also argued that universities were previously under regional government, which translated into state governments.
The 75-year-old former vice president noted that “The only way is to make sure that you make a conducive environment available to both foreign and local investors to participate in our country, whether it is infrastructure, whether it is education, whether it is power."
Atiku buttressed his point on why he would hand over the federal government-controlled universities to state governments by recounting his argument with a Nigerian professor from Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State capital.
He said, “I had an argument with a university professor from Federal University, Lokoja. He said he read in my policy document that I intended to devolve, in other words, to return education to the states. How dare do I do that?
“I said, ‘Mr Professor, do you realise that the first set of our universities belong to the regional governments?’ He said, ‘Yes’. I said who are the successors of the regional government? He said the states.
“I said the children you send to America, to England, who own those universities? Mostly the private sector. So, why is it that you think we cannot do it here? We don’t have the money.”
Recall that Nigerian students studying in the Federal Government-controlled universities across the country have been at home for the past five months due to industrial action by members of Academic Staff Union of Universities ASUU).
The union went on strike on February 14 over improved welfare, revitalisation of public universities and academic autonomy among other demands.
Meanwhile, many Nigerian politicians and top government officials have been junketing overseas to celebrate their children's graduation from one world renowned university or the other.

https://saharareporters.com/articles/2023-ex-vice-president-atiku-vows-return-federal-universities-states-if-elected-nigerian
Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by Corridon: 4:01pm On Aug 22, 2022
Enough reason why we shouldn't vote for Atiku after we have all rejected Tinubu. Imagine returning federal universities to state government that can't even manage state universities very well. Atiku and Tinubu are not fit for the job. Peter Obi is the best man for the job.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by midehi2(f): 4:02pm On Aug 22, 2022
Same empty stories sad we are wiser now tongue

1 Like

Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by citygarden(m): 4:03pm On Aug 22, 2022
All empty promise, all because he is despirate. Giving empty promise. Sakamaje
Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by ogododo: 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2022
Corridon:
Enough reason why we shouldn't vote for Atiku after we have all rejected Tinubu. Imagine returning federal universities to state government that can't even manage state universities very well. Atiku and Tinubu are not fit for the job. Peter Obi is the best man for the job.
Wetin Obi wan do different?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by ogododo: 4:10pm On Aug 22, 2022
Lalasticlala.
Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by PandoraObi: 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2022
Ok
Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by Sitwalkstand: 4:12pm On Aug 22, 2022
If you return universities to states without giving them power to control the resources in their states. It will be a waste of time.

States don't have money to run those schools

its time to unbundle that stupid exclusive list.

States are blessed with resources, yet can't tap it because of exclusive list controlled by Abuja
Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by rusher14: 4:13pm On Aug 22, 2022
In China...

Re: 2023: Ex-vice President, Atiku Vows To Return Federal Universities To States by Mynd44: 4:29pm On Aug 22, 2022

(1)

Peter Obi Standing Ovation I Nigerian Bar Association Conference- A New Dawn / See Online Poll Created By Atiku Supporter For Edo State(photos) / Anambra & Abia Tops The List Of Delisted Voters By Inec-photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.