Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,210 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? (39136 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ispotmdels: 5:38am On Aug 07, 2011
Why do Edo people speak Yoruba? Pls I need accurate answers. Thanks.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem3: 5:54am On Aug 07, 2011
1. yoruba and edo are related historically

2. yorubas use edo words as well like eko, etc

3. edos are also part of lagos

4. edo people share names with yoruba people and vise versa

5. it is easlier for them to learn yoruba as their language is similar

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 11:29am On Aug 07, 2011
ispotmdels:

Why do Edo people speak Yoruba? Pls I need accurate answers. Thanks.
Edo people speak Bini, Esan and Etsako. Some Edo people who have spent years in Yorubaland speak Yoruba just like Yorubas who have spent years in Benin speak Bini.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 7:51pm On Aug 07, 2011
Wrong Andre.

Edo do not need to spend time in Yorubaland to speak the language, they already are speaking it as a dialect.

Yoruba - Oba a pe l'aye

Edo - Oba a to k'paye.

Meaning: may the King live long!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 8:36pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Wrong Andre.

Edo do not need to spend time in Yorubaland to speak the language, they already are speaking it as a dialect.

Yoruba - Oba a pe l'aye

Edo - Oba a to k'paye.

It does not mean Edo people speak Yoruba. Unless you are a foreigner, every Nigerian knows that Edos are Edos with their own languages and dialects and Yorubas are Yorubas with their own language and dialects. It is not a big deal to find an Edo who speaks Yoruba as it is not also a big deal to find a Yoruba who speaks Edo. Infact, I do know lots of Yorubas who speak Bini.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 8:47pm On Aug 07, 2011
Like the Aniomans who speak Yoruba dialect, like the Ijebus, the Ijeshas, Ilorins, Aworis, Itskeiris, the Edos speak Yoruba dialects.

Unlike Iboland which is knoted in linguistics, Yorubaland and Yoruba race is knoted in hereditary.

So I understand your diifuclty at understanding the union. There are Oyo people that don't speak Ijebu or Ijesha but they are all still in the Yoruba race and speak one or the other of the numerous dialects.

We have rich and diverse tongues tied under one race. European is an European whether English, French or german but the three languages and also Spanish are dialects, one of the other. You understand it now?

The Ibo language on the other hand is comparable to the Americas, where regardless of the cultural nativity, which are diverse, everyone speak one language of the colonial race -Portuguese/Spanish in South America and Mexico and Puerto Rico and English in North America and few islands.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:51pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Wrong Andre.

Yoruba - Oba a pe l'aye

Edo - Oba a to k'paye.

Wrong Negro,

Edo is a group of related tribes, not a langauge. Bini do not speak the same language as etsako or urhobo but they are all edo. There are yorubas who are edo, exotik is one of them. Aniomas are considered edo by some but we speak Igbo. Dont come here and start spewing falsity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Chyz2: 8:55pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Like the Aniomans who speak Yoruba dialect, like the Ijebus, the Ijeshas, Ilorins, Aworis, Itskeiris, the Edos speak Yoruba dialects.

Unlike Iboland which is knoted in linguistics, Yorubaland and Yoruba race is knoted in hereditary.

So I understand your diifuclty at understanding the union. There are Oyo people that don't speak Ijebu or Ijesha but they are all still in the Yoruba race and speak one or the other of the numerous dialects.

We have rich and diverse tongues tied under one race. European is an European whether English, French or german but the three languages and also Spanish are dialects, one of the other. You understand it now?

The Ibo language on the other hand is comparable to the Americas, where regardless of the cultural nativity, which are diverse, everyone speak one language of the colonial race -Portuguese/Spanish in South America and Mexico and Puerto Rico and English in North America and few islands.

Your write up isnt make that much sense so let me throw a question at you. Is an Ijebus culture the same as some one from Oyo State; the way they dress et al?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 9:31pm On Aug 07, 2011
A race is different from a tribe.

Your people are united under one language, hence you are not a race but rather a patch up, a mix and match of different peoples congregated under a common language -Ibo.

We Yorubas are not a tribe. We are different dialects of same language congregated under a hereditary - a race!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 9:56pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Your people are united under one language, hence you are not a race but rather a patch up, a mix and match of different peoples congregated under a common language -Ibo.

We Yorubas are not a tribe. We are different dialects of same language congregated under a hereditary - a race!
The same way the Igbo nation emerged is the same way the Yoruba nation emerged. Agreed Igbo is a conglomeration of different dialects but one language. Yoruba is the same, no common ancestry but a collection of different groups and subgroups. Deny it to your own peril.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 10:00pm On Aug 07, 2011
@The poster, once again, no Edo speaks Yoruba without learning it. No Yoruba speaks Edo without learning it. Yorubas speak Yoruba and associated dialects while Edos speak Edo and related dialects.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 10:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
I've discussed the topic with people far knolwedgable than you on Ibo culture and they all agree you don't have any one hereditary.

Yorubas have Oduduwa. Hausas have Bayajjida. Ibos have none! The Nri you all claim is a subordinate to Aro confederacy, which itsel no one knows where its roots lie. Is it indigenus or settler, no one can tell.

Everything point to a bunch of different peoples forced away from their roots and conglomerated under a language.

Go down African history and study how great peoples acrrue power. If colonization had not happened you would by now be a tributary of Bini empire. Whiteman saved you from an inevitable wipeout.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 10:22pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I've discussed the topic with people far knolwedgable than you on Ibo culture and they all agree you don't have any one hereditary.

Yorubas have Oduduwa. Hausas have Bayajjida. Ibos have none! The Nri you all claim is a subordinate to Aro confederacy, which itsel no one knows where its roots lie. Is it indigenus or settler, no one can tell.

Everything point to a bunch of different peoples forced away from their roots and conglomerated under a language.

Go down African history and study how great peoples acrrue power. If colonization had not happened you would by now be a tributary of Bini empire. Whiteman saved you from an inevitable wipeout.
Not all the Yoruba believe in this your Oduduwa crap. Southern Yoruba groups such as Egbas and Ijebus do not have any claims to Oduduwa. Some other southern Yoruba groups who now falsely look unto Oduduwa as their pregenitor do so because of politics. Anyway, that is if at all there was any Oduduwa coming from sky or the sky coming from Oduduwa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Chyz2: 10:23pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Makes no sense what so ever.Lol. . . Do you even know what "hereditary" means?  "Under a hereditary" Lol grin

Watch how you use the word "Race", homegirl.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 10:56pm On Aug 07, 2011
Andre,

It is increasingly difficult to keep your jealous emotion out of it.

First you stated Bini influenced Ibo culture "and Yoruba too".

Then you went into Edo vs Yoruba language.

You followed that up with Bini conquered Lagos and some other Yoruba towns.

Now you are saying Egba and Ijebu are not Yorubas.

What are you going to conjecture next, Oduduwa was not the father of Oranmiyan ?

Man, you have bared your behind in the harmattan wind.

Let me know when you are ready to defend Ibo. I see you defending Yoruba which you are not qualified to do. Because of your lack of qualificatuion and gap of knowledge you are oscillating all over Yorubaland looking for straws to grasp onto for your ridiculous nonsense.

Come back when you get qualification on yoruba issues or outside of that, when you are ready to defend Ibo tribe against my Imperial race.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Chyz2: 11:09pm On Aug 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Now you are saying Egba and[b] Ijebu are not Yorubas[/b].

No, the Awujale of Ijebuland says Ijebu are not yoruba.

[size=13pt]Itsekiris are Ijebu descendants, says Awujale, calls for Ijebu state[/size]

By Ernest Nwokolo
Published 2/05/2010

The Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, has declared that the Itsekiri people currently in Delta State are descendants of the Ijebu stock and part of the greater Yoruba nation.

The monarch said the Itsekiri people in Delta State are true Ijebu sons and daughters stressing that the Itsekiris in the Niger Delta still retain core Ijebu dialect in their language. He said migration for expansion and survival accounted for why they are currently in the Niger Delta area.

The monarch who spoke to journalists as part of preparation for his 50th year anniversary celebration in June this year, also expressed disgust over the nation’s economy being controlled by the federal government, saying it does not augur well for rapid development of the country adding that it undermines self-actualization.

Awujale noted that the only time monarchs in Yorubaland ever came together to see each other  was in 1937 when the colonial masters then worked to forge peaceful relationship ‘among us as a way of reducing the inter-tribal wars and its attendants effects."

" We are never one. We are different people and that is the truth. If I speak my Ijebu language, neither somebody from Ekiti, Ondo nor Ibadan will understand and if any person from any of those places speak his, I won’t understand," Oba Adetona said.

Adetona who is often referred to as Orisa Ijebu by his subjects, said it is the uniqueness of the Ijebu people that is behind the agitation for an Ijebu State to be excised from the present Ogun State. He expressed confidence that the dream would be a reality in his lifetime. However, in a statement by the Egbe Irapada Oodua, EIRO on Saturday, the group said the ancestry of the Yoruba people as descendants of Oduduwa has been settled by "intellectuals of international standing both at home and abroad after intensive research which began around 1050 AD."

The group in a statement by Dr Akinlola Sowumi, leader of the group in Ogun State, noted that the Ijebus deserve to have a state but that the agitation could be waged without resort to the distortion of timeless historical evidence about the history of the Yoruba people.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 2:32am On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Yorubas have Oduduwa. Hausas have Bayajjida. Ibos have none!  The Nri you all claim is a subordinate to Aro confederacy, which itsel no one knows where its roots lie. Is it indigenus or settler, no one can tell.

Everything point to a bunch of different peoples forced away from their roots and  conglomerated under a language.

Go down African history and study how great peoples acrrue power.  If colonization had not happened you would by now be a tributary of Bini empire. Whiteman saved you from an inevitable wipeout.   

Another efulefu learning about Nigeria through nairaland. How can Odudwa be the progenitor of a race of people he lived amongst as friends and colleagues? Every ancient community has tales of a divine progenitor, it's only an idiot who takes tales of a man falling from the sky and Ile Ife being the center of the world as facts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 2:56am On Aug 08, 2011
A progenitor falling from a mythical sky is a more tenable origin than those who don't even have a clue who their progenitor is and depending on where the wind blows, their root is blown fron one corner of the panet to the other.

I'd rather have a foster parent than not know of any parent and miss out on a loving upbringing and tender care.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 3:01am On Aug 08, 2011
The progenitor myth is a cheap propaganda used by royal families all over the world. "My ancestor fell from the sky, worship me". I'm glad the Igbo kept their individualistic attitudes because we can all see what that has led to. All Igbo communities know who they are, no second guessing whether their progenitor with another Igbo community is from Benin or not.

By the way, is Oduduwa from Mecca, Katsina, Benin, Ekiti or Heaven?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 3:09am On Aug 08, 2011
If they did there will not be deniers backing away from the idenitity.

A home is a place of love and joy and no child should ever deny a loving home. When a child distances itself from the parent there is root problem in the home.
I don't see any northerner turning its back on their land or Westerner denying its root.

I am not comfortable expressing the equation for SE.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 3:13am On Aug 08, 2011
All this talk would be relevant if North and South Western Nigeria had better living standards than the South East, unfortunately belief in a paramount progenitor does little more than empower the elites.

Every Igbo community knows who they are and don't need fairytales to tell them that.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 3:22am On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

If they did there will not be deniers backing away from the idenitity.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-729430.0.html

*sigh*
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 4:43am On Aug 08, 2011
<quote>

ezeagu:
All this talk would be relevant if North and South Western Nigeria had better living standards than the South East, unfortunately belief in a paramount progenitor does little more than empower the elites.

</quote>

North and West do have better standards and opportunities, your population in these regions attest to that.

The progenitor is the standard bearer for the character and the bearing of the child.

Blind a child to that knowleddge and he becomes a wandered lost in the wilderness of human race. Never able to get his bearings right.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Rgp92: 10:47am On Aug 08, 2011
lolol IGBO AND YORUBA are the same race, and this is black race. We are ethnics group. I don't know why we blacks continue to fight among ourselves even though we are the race :S

A wise man once said: We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
Martin Luther King Jr.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

North and West do have better standards and opportunities, your population in these regions attest to that.

The progenitor is the standard bearer for the character and the bearing of the child.

Blind a child to that knowleddge and he becomes a wandered lost in the wilderness of human race. Never able to get his bearings right.

Igbo people are everywhere. Every where is opportunity for money, nothing really special about these place.

I can name several successful nations without one progenitor, it's really not needed for anything, especially when the story is a myth of a man from space.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by odumchi: 6:31pm On Aug 08, 2011
Man what's your problem? How many times have I told you to leave Aro people and Igbo people alone for that matter? What is your problem really? I can't go on, reading your posts really piss me off. Keep your mouth out of topics you don't know about

Negro_Ntns:

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bamosagie(m): 9:12pm On Aug 08, 2011
I am from Edo and I speak yoruba because I spent time in ibadan, schooled there and studied yoruba. Members of my extended family do not speak yoruba because they've not stayed in yoruba land. Point is the chance of edo speaking yoruba is equal to that of an Igbo or Hausa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 10:43pm On Aug 08, 2011
bamosagie:

I am from Edo and I speak yoruba because I spent time in ibadan, schooled there and studied yoruba. Members of my extended do not speak yoruba because they've not stayed in yoruba land. Point is the chance of edo speaking yoruba is equal to that of an IGBO or Hausa.
You are right in a way. Igbo people are quick learners and most of them who reside in Yorubaland also speak Yoruba like Edos who have spent yesars in Yorubaland.
Secondly, hasn't anyone told you that Ibo is wrong. It is Igbo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by favouredjb(f): 10:51am On Aug 09, 2011
well,how come some edo people bear yoruba names?i have so many of them,sola,toyin bola etc
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem3: 12:53pm On Aug 09, 2011
favouredjb:

well,how come some edo people bear yoruba names?i have so many of them,sola,toyin bola etc

actually it is not yoruba names but a SWern names meaning

yorubas, edo, itsekiri, igala, nupe fulani etc bear those names as well

saying it is a yoruba name means it originated from the yorubas alone

names like ajao, ojo etc are also edo names but used by yorubas

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Obelomo: 8:21am On Aug 11, 2011
Many tribes in Nigeria speak Yoruba fluently! If both parents are Edo, Delta, etc. their child's first name should not be Yoruba(in my opinion)!
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by oludashmi(f): 11:46am On Aug 11, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Edo people speak Bini, Esan and Etsako. Some Edo people who have spent years in Yorubaland speak Yoruba just like Yorubas who have spent years in Benin speak Bini.
Andre Uweh:

@The poster, once again, no Edo speaks Yoruba without learning it. No Yoruba speaks Edo without learning it. Yorubas speak Yoruba and associated dialects while Edos speak Edo and related dialects.

Your response is like saying Ikwerres or Ikas speak Ibo and have ibo names cos they have spent years in ibo land.
Or saying Itshekiris speak Yoruba and bear Yoruba names cos they have lived in Yoruba land (when many of them have not even been to the west b4).

alj_harem:

1. yoruba and edo are related historically

2. yorubas use edo words as well like eko, etc

3. edos are also part of lagos

4. edo people share names with yoruba people and vise versa

5. it is easlier for them to learn yoruba as their language is similar

True alj_harem but . .
Please let me have a link to the fact that eko is an edo name cos I know that even dopemu, agege, okun, aga, isale are yoruba names which edo uses too (as confirmed by an edo woman).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call / Hausa Hero And Warrior Queen Amina Of Zaria Full History,life And Legendary Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.