Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? (39197 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tpia5: 1:34pm On Aug 11, 2011
The op doesnt speak one or both of the languages he's asking about, else he wouldnt be asking this kind of question.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 3:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
oludashmi:

Your response is like saying Ikwerres or Ikas speak Ibo and have ibo names cos they have spent years in ibo land.
Or saying Itshekiris speak Yoruba and bear Yoruba names cos they have lived in Yoruba land (when many of them have not even been to the west b4).

True alj_harem but . .
Please let me have a link to the fact that eko is an edo name cos I know that even dopemu, agege, okun, aga, isale are yoruba names which edo uses too (as confirmed by an edo woman).

Your post on the bolded reveals you are as confused as the original poster. It also reveals that you have not set foot outside Yorubaland. To improve your knowledge about Nigeria people without going outside the south west, you should write JAMB and aptitude text at Universities like Unibadan or Unilag. Such places will enable to come across people of different origins, languages and tongues. It is just a humble advice as it seems you have not been to a uni yet.
For someone to think Edos speak Yoruba and another one feels the same way shows lack of sufficient knowledge of Nigerian people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by odumchi: 4:41pm On Aug 11, 2011
oludashmi:

Your response is like saying Ikwerres or Ikas speak Ibo and have ibo names cos they have spent years in ibo land.
Or saying Itshekiris speak Yoruba and bear Yoruba names cos they have lived in Yoruba land (when many of them have not even been to the west b4).

True alj_harem but . .
Please let me have a link to the fact that eko is an edo name cos I know that even dopemu, agege, okun, aga, isale are yoruba names which edo uses too (as confirmed by an edo woman).

Since when did the Ikwerre and Ukwuani clans stop being Igbo? Man you should really stay sway from things you don't know. Ikwerre:Igbo is not the same as Itsekiris : Yoruba. Ikwerre speak a dialect of Igbo. A more reasonable comparison is Ekpeye:Igbo Yoruba:Itsekiris. But I'm sure you've had no previous knowledge of them.:
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by oludashmi(f): 4:55pm On Aug 11, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Your post on the bolded reveals you are as confused as the original poster. It also reveals that you have not set foot outside Yorubaland. To improve your knowledge about Nigeria people without going outside the south west, you should write JAMB and aptitude text at Universities like Unibadan or Unilag. Such places will enable to come across people of different origins, languages and tongues. It is just a humble advice as it seems you have not been to a uni yet.
For someone to think Edos speak Yoruba and another one feels the same way shows lack of sufficient knowledge of Nigerian people.

You know your problem. . . .halucination!
Your post (especially your first reply) shows your level of hopelessness. And I pray you dont pass this genetic arrogance and ignorance on.

You talk of jamb, talk of aptitude test, talk of unilag and bla bla bla. . . .I laugh in francaise grin grin. Andre, you were still walking lifelessly across the streets of Etiti when I acquired all of that. You were still hopeless and without life direction when I travelled to places as a result of the various languages I speak. You always think everyone is a local champion like you  undecided.

A little advise for you . . . .stop feeling irritated whenever we are mentioned. Reduce the number of village festivals you attend cos the breeze there is not good for your health mentally. Reduce your level of obsession. . .And you will be fine again wink.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by oludashmi(f): 5:01pm On Aug 11, 2011
odumchi:

Since when did the Ikwerre and Ukwuani clans stop being Igbo? Man you should really stay sway from things you don't know. Ikwerre:Igbo is not the same as Itsekiris : Yoruba. Ikwerre speak a dialect of Igbo. A more reasonable comparison is Ekpeye:Igbo Yoruba:Itsekiris. But I'm sure you've had no previous knowledge of them.:

Dear supporter in chief,
Where in my post did you see me differentiate btw the ikwerres and ibos?
Go get some rest, then read Andre's reply to the OP and my reply to Andre. . .maybe that will help your comprehension
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 5:26pm On Aug 11, 2011
oludashmi:

You know your problem. . . .halucination!
Your post (especially your first reply) shows your level of hopelessness. And I pray you dont pass this genetic arrogance and ignorance on.

You talk of jamb, talk of aptitude test, talk of unilag and bla bla bla. . . .I laugh in francaise grin grin. Andre, you were still walking lifelessly across the streets of Etiti when I acquired all of that. You were still hopeless and without life direction when I travelled to places as a result of the various languages I speak. You always think everyone is a local champion like you undecided.

A little advise for you . . . .stop feeling irritated whenever we are mentioned. Reduce the number of village festivals you attend cos the breeze there is not good for your health mentally. Reduce your level of obsession. . .And you will be fine again wink.

This your post above is brainless. If at all you have travelled to places around Nigeria and speak different languages, then you would have known that what people of Edo speak is not Yoruba. You would have as well known that those Edos who speak Yoruba were either born in Yorubaland, lived in Yorubaland or have learnt to speak Yoruba. It is an outright stupidity to turn a simple logic upside down.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by oludashmi(f): 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2011
Andre Uweh:

This your post above is brainless. If at all you have travelled to places around Nigeria and speak different languages, then you would have known that what people of Edo speak is not Yoruba. You would have as well known that those Edos who speak Yoruba were either born in Yorubaland, lived in Yorubaland or have learnt to speak Yoruba. It is an outright stupidity to turn a simple logic upside down.

Andre, Andre. . .
Cool your temper and work on yourself.

To answer the OP like the likes of alj harem, and others who have made reasonable contributions, you have a long way to go!
You were the one who turned the question upside down and I can see you are getting the topic wrong.
The OP did not say Edos speak Yorubas as their language sad. Read to understand and dont just disturb your keyboard just cos you are not charged per word. If this were an sms, I can bet you wont appear as much as you do. Take care.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 6:45pm On Aug 11, 2011
^^^
The OP asked why Edo people speak Yoruba. Should I say they speak Yoruba because they are Yorubas. That will be false. The same way I have reacted is the same wayI will react if any other poster ask, ''why do Ibibio people speak Igbo@?''.
I still maintain that it is not proper for people to turn a simple logic upside down just as you and NegroNTS have demonstrated.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by odumchi: 12:27am On Aug 12, 2011
I wont partake in arguing with bigots. I've said what I wanted to say. Cheers

Andre, happuya maka obu onye isi ike. Ndi'banyi sina nti anagi anu ihe m'eso isi egbupuru.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by cindylee: 10:09am On Aug 12, 2011
I am Edo and I only learnt how to speak Yoruba because I schooled in Ife. Nobody from Edo state automatically learns how to speak Yoruba as his first or second language. You have to learn it because either you schooled in yoruba land or you live there. All these nonsense historians who have never lived or been in Edo state just talk of what they hear people say. And I still say that no Edo person can just learn how to speak yoruba like that. Also some part of Edos share boundary with Ondo state which are the Akokos. We call them Akoko-edo, so maybe those people by virtue of boundary speak yoruba and vice-versa. Please you guys should not just be basing arguments on what you hear people say

By the way, Urhobos and Itsekiris are not part of Edo state. They are part of Delta but we are all from the old Bendel state. Anything aside from this na pure lie.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by itsme2(m): 1:32pm On Aug 12, 2011
How about sum1 like the former speaker of Edo State house of assembly. Tunde Akogun nd other examples like that, i even grew up wit sum families like that ( 3 fams on my street) thinkin they were Yorubas later 2 knw that they r Edos, i think both cultures were in the middle of cultural assimilation or 'blending' which fortunately or unfortunately was disturbd by modern civilization or european colonization IMO, i stand 2 b correctd though.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:52pm On Aug 12, 2011
How on earth would someone imagine that Edos who have their own distinct language should be able to speak Yoruba by default. The Edos just like every other group have the same capability of learning Yoruba and any other language as long as they've lived or schooled in that parts. The only thing i've discovered about Edo people that learn Yoruba is that: you never get to tell that they're not Yorubas until they tell you. They are more likely to get acculturated than Igbos for instance. No matter how much an Igbo person learns another language by living where such language is spoken, they never forget where they come from.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 3:29pm On Aug 12, 2011
cindylee:

I am Edo and I only learnt how to speak Yoruba because I schooled in Ife. Nobody from Edo state automatically learns how to speak Yoruba as his first or second language. You have to learn it because either you schooled in yoruba land or you live there. All these nonsense historians who have never lived or been in Edo state just talk of what they hear people say. And I still say that no Edo person can just learn how to speak yoruba like that. Also some part of Edos share boundary with Ondo state which are the Akokos. We call them Akoko-edo, so maybe those people by virtue of boundary speak yoruba and vice-versa. Please you guys should not just be basing arguments on what you hear people say

By the way, Urhobos and Itsekiris are not part of Edo state. They are part of Delta but we are all from the old Bendel state. Anything aside from this na pure lie.
Well done.
I hope Oludashmi and Negro will read this post.
It's a pity that Physics RMD, Bokohalal and Exotic will turn blind eye to this topic because it has nothing to do with Igbo.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 3:20pm On Aug 13, 2011
<quote>

odumchi:
Man what's your problem? How many times have I told you to leave Aro people and Igbo people alone for that matter? What is your problem really? I can't go on, reading your posts really piss me off. Keep your mouth out of topics you don't know about

</quote>

My presence here is to state what is truthful, if that makes you uncomfortable then great!

Ibo people are nobody in Nigeria when we talk about great people and cultures. To create a new greatness you all are on internet revising yur history. Where you find it impossible to revise yours you then try to revise other people's to narrow the obvious backwardness of your Nri/Aro history.

If we were doing a count and a nemurical value of 1 is assigned to each head of a Yoruba person, the Ibo equivalent will be 1/4 or less.

So you need to realize that you have oyibo to thank for designating you majority. You are truly and factually a political minority in this country. It has nothing to do with your population , which is not that many to begin with, but your political contribution to the history of Africa generally is blank!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 10:09pm On Aug 13, 2011
^^^
Concentrate on the topic and do not derail it any more. Every Nigerian knows that the Igbo outnumber the Yoruba in Nigeria. Even Ndigbo outside the south east in Nigeria outnumbers the entire Yoruba people in Nigeria. It is the Hausa Fulani that it is not certain which group is more when compared to Ndigbo.
Yorubas do not have thick skulls and I wonder why yours is so different. You behave here as if your father and Odudunwa flew down from the sky on the same day.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by odumchi: 10:10pm On Aug 13, 2011
@ Negro

We could use less people like you on earth. I won't bother debating the population of the Igbo to you, you and I know that what you are saying is baseless. You have an unusual and dangerous attitude towards others which I advise you should be corrected.
I'm still thinking on whether what you wrote is worth replying to.  undecided
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 10:17pm On Aug 13, 2011
Negro_Ntns:
Ibo people are nobody in Nigeria when we talk about great people and cultures. To create a new greatness you all are on internet revising yur history. Where you find it impossible to revise yours you then try to revise other people's to narrow the obvious backwardness of your Nri/Aro history.

If we were doing a count and a nemurical value of 1 is assigned to each head of a Yoruba person, the Ibo equivalent will be 1/4 or less.

So you need to realize that you have oyibo to thank for designating you majority. You are truly and factually a political minority in this country. It has nothing to do with your population , which is not that many to begin with, but your political contribution to the history of Africa generally is blank!

You're the only one concerened about how Igbo people percieve themselves or not, actually that is a lie, many people seem to want to concern themselves with who is Igbo and who isn't even when the Igbo aren't supposed to be worth anything. Maybe you're upset that nobody would give a flying shit about Yoruba affairs except Yoruba people, but everyone is desperate to put in a word in Igbo affairs. Is your history not sweet, can you not find the new thread button on the culture section? If the Igbo weren't as great you want them to be then you wouldn't be spending the majority of your internet time arguing Igbo issues so patiently with Igbo people themselves, most of whom are really indifferent to having a great empire or not. Sit down and reflect on your road to clown-dom. Well done. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:28pm On Aug 13, 2011
Me sef I don tire for Negro-Ntns' foolishness; acting as if he is in any position what so ever to open his mouth and tell me about my own people; coming here and dragging Aro people into his nonsense yarns about Igbo "pure blood" and everything else he has been saying. Negro-Ntns knows not, and he apparently is ignorant of the fact that he knows not, and as the saying goes. . .

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not is a fool. Shun him.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by rabzy: 1:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

<quote>

odumchi:
Man what's your problem? How many times have I told you to leave Aro people and Igbo people alone for that matter? What is your problem really? I can't go on, reading your posts really piss me off. Keep your mouth out of topics you don't know about

</quote>

My presence here is to state what is truthful, if that makes you uncomfortable then great!

Am not sure i have seen a crazier ranting than this anywhere in this site, this is totally uncalled for and ignominiously and embarrassingly false. Guy try chill small.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Malawian(m): 12:24pm On May 29, 2012
The only reason edo people can speak yoruba is because of yoruba colonisation during the western region debacle. Yoruba language was the only language taught in schools throughout the western region even as far as asaba. I suppose the edos have ekwueme to thank for liberating them from the yoruba mediocrity by forming the midwestern region. Alexander ogbemudia dealt the final blow on the yoruba colonisation gambit when he outlawed the teaching of yoruba in the old bendel state. Just give it another 20 yrs and the generation that was colonised by the yorubas will have all died out. Yoruba people are pretending like they dont know the reason for such anomaly. I schooled at ekpoma so i know the edos and their language very well. I even speak moderate ishan. Yoruba quest for edo oil is dead as dodo. Edo people better take back their state from that yoruba stooge called oshomole before he signs away their birthright. Make una get sense o, na yoruba people una dey deal with. They are vipers and should not be overlooked.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 12:41pm On May 29, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okoro man, go take a chill pill and stop distributing hate all over the internet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:05pm On May 29, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Well done.
I hope Oludashmi and Negro will read this post.
It's a pity that Physics RMD, Bokohalal and Exotic will turn blind eye to this topic because it has nothing to do with Igbo.

lol@ this. This thread was posted or resurrected during the delta bendel thread. I had better things to do and can't respond to every thread about Edo people.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:23pm On May 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns: I've discussed the topic with people far knolwedgable than you on Ibo culture and they all agree you don't have any one hereditary.

Yorubas have Oduduwa. Hausas have Bayajjida. Ibos have none! The Nri you all claim is a subordinate to Aro confederacy, which itsel no one knows where its roots lie. Is it indigenus or settler, no one can tell.

Everything point to a bunch of different peoples forced away from their roots and conglomerated under a language.

Go down African history and study how great peoples acrrue power. If colonization had not happened you would by now be a tributary of Bini empire. Whiteman saved you from an inevitable wipeout.

Its either you are mentally re..tarded or you comprehension problems; How dare you open that ur s.hit eating mouth and say Nri is a subordinate of Aro!! Dont let me put a curse on your already miserable life! Discuss the topic and leave Nri out of this your fantasies.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:33pm On May 29, 2012
[quote author=ezeagu]All this talk would be relevant if North and South Western Nigeria had better living standards than the South East, unfortunately belief in a paramount progenitor does little more than empower the elites.

Every Igbo community knows who they are and don't need fairytales to tell them that.[/quote

You have spoken well,brother. All Igbo communities know where they came from; Be it Aro,Ngwa,Nri,Umu Ezechima,Isu and more. We dont bow down to anybody but the almighty God! Eri is believed to have fallen from the sky by some fools with insecurities just like you have in the west!
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:53pm On May 29, 2012
alj harem: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okoro man, go take a chill pill and stop distributing hate all over the internet.

You should be in a mental rehabilitation facility binds with chains! You are a disgusting animal!
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 3:01pm On May 29, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

You should be in a mental rehabilitation facility binds with chains! You are a disgusting animal!

you sir have the mental problem, when Malawian aka Nchara is saying rubbish you could not correct him. Now when I try to correct him since you cannot correct you sons from making tribalistic comments, you insult me

You must be an idddeiot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Malawian(m): 3:23pm On May 29, 2012
pls who is nchara? Abeg o, i am the new kid on the block. I no dey look face o. I am not one of those people prolifilating internet accounts to make arguements. Check out my facebook page and many more with the same user name. I am here for the yorubas. Una only saviour na to ban me cos i go dey attack till the break of dawn. I no dey go anywhere okay.
[quote author=alj harem]

you sir have the mental problem, when Malawian aka Nchara is saying rubbish you could not correct him. Now when I try to correct him since you cannot corre
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 3:31pm On May 29, 2012
^^^^^^^

Very good that you are new, and your first post is tribalism against yoruba

LOL later some would wonder yorubas don't like the Igbos on Nairaland. While this is your answer.

You cannot hate the yorubas and expect undying love from us. In as much as we love Igbos very much, our love has it's limit if you keep huddling hate against us.

I hope I have made myself clear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Malawian(m): 5:50pm On May 29, 2012
@ Mr alh harem, i might be a new member but i have been following almost every topic on nairaland for two years now. I am not an ethnic jingoist, i do not hate the yoruba at all cos i dont hate. Hate is for weak people. I just love the online banter between igbos and yorubas that all. As for your delusion we seek your undying love for us; thanks but we dont need it.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Malawian(m): 6:00pm On May 29, 2012
grin cheesy cheesy and pls speak to a doctor or babalawo about your delusions okay? We wouldn't want operatives from yaba to show up at your doorsteps now would we. U know alh harem, i had always thought you were an hausa malam all the while.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AladeTunde: 10:18am On Jun 09, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Not all the Yoruba believe in this your Oduduwa crap. Southern Yoruba groups such as Egbas and Ijebus do not have any claims to Oduduwa. Some other southern Yoruba groups who now falsely look unto Oduduwa as their pregenitor do so because of politics. Anyway, that is if at all there was any Oduduwa coming from sky or the sky coming from Oduduwa.
shut up,who told u dat rubbish, and wot do you know about we yorubas
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by AladeTunde: 10:21am On Jun 09, 2012
Chyz*:

Makes no sense what so ever.Lol. . . Do you even know what "hereditary" means?  "Under a hereditary" Lol grin

Watch how you use the word "Race", homegirl.
i don't why you sound so fool and git.why are you so jealous?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi's Wives, Daughters, Daughter-In-Law, Others (Photos) / Hausa Hero And Warrior Queen Amina Of Zaria Full History,life And Legendary Work / Aregbesola Unveils World’s Tallest Drum - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.