Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide (27170 Views)

How Profitable Pepper Farming Is In Nigeria / Pepper Farming In Nigeria: A Graduate That Sells Pepper (Video) / Are U Afraid of loss in Poultry Biz ??Think Noiler! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Sammy07: 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Farm inputs are increasing daily

A bag of Npk that use to be 7k is now close to 40k.

Pesticides and fungicides is now double of the former price.

Cost of running the Diesel generator.

And yet they still stick to the same price as of 8yrs ago.

Not only that Task force will still collect money from them while transporting their goods.

Mile12 agents will still collect their 10% even if they sell at ridiculous prices.

Farmers are really running at a loss

Accurate.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Sammy07: 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2022
Christistruth00:

But they won’t loose everything due to lack of storage

They will salvage something

well, yeah. You right

1 Like

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by CheapHomes1: 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2022
Nezzjnr:

Farm inputs are increasing daily

A bag of Npk that use to be 7k is now close to 40k.

Pesticides and fungicides is now double of the former price.

Cost of running the Diesel generator.

And yet they still stick to the same price as of 8yrs ago.

Not only that Task force will still collect money from them while transporting their goods.

Mile12 agents will still collect their 10% even if they sell at ridiculous prices.

Farmers are really running at a loss

That means you didn't read my comment or you did but you didn't understand it. Why won't they run at a loss when their products are so expensive? Since they know they don't have storage facilities and your market go spoil throway, why not sell at reduced price so you can still get something. But na lie. They would rather set exorbitant prices and watch their products rot away due to lack of patronage than sell off everything at low price
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Nezzjnr: 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2022
CheapHomes1:

That means you didn't read my comment or you did but you didn't understand it. Why won't they run at a loss when their products are so expensive? Since they know they don't have storage facilities and your market go spoil throway, why not sell at reduced price so you can't still get something. But na lie. They would rather set exorbitant prices and watch their products rot away due to lack of patronage than sell off everything at low price
They can't sell at reduced prices

How will they pay workers.... How will they cultivate for the next season...

I've heard Farmers saying that they either dash their products to villagers than for them to sell at reduced prices.

Sorry if I misunderstood you

2 Likes

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2022
Best way to preserve pepper is to dry it, develop a way to sun dry it.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by CheapHomes1: 1:32pm On Aug 25, 2022
Nezzjnr:

They can't sell at reduced prices

How will they pay workers.... How will they cultivate for the next season...

I've heard Farmers saying that they either dash their products to villagers than for them to sell at reduced prices.

Sorry if I misunderstood you

You are just going round in circles and corroborating what I said. That's why I said you don't understand what you are responding to
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by oneMalik: 1:32pm On Aug 25, 2022
I bow for this man.... a problem solver !

you see how leaders think and talk ? they don't talk about problems but always their minds are on solution.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by WhiteLavender(f): 1:36pm On Aug 25, 2022
CheapHomes1:

Why won't they run at a loss when their products are so expensive? Since they know they don't have storage facilities and your market go spoil throway, why not sell at reduced price so you can't still get something. But na lie. They would rather set exorbitant prices and watch their products rot away due to lack of patronage than sell off everything at low price
exactly what I thought. pepper is not even cheap right now but they are still talking about post harvest loss. haba.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by ajayiopy: 1:41pm On Aug 25, 2022
MideMrPossible:
Yesterday, I visited one of our nearby farmsite where chill pepper is planted by a local farmers and the extent of the loss on the field is just too massive. Immediately, I said to myself we need an on-site storage facility!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n45HGl2SGxU

Lack of storage facility alone is a big factor militating against agriculture in developing countries and some people are already earning a living by providing a refrigerated storage facilities.
HE SHOULD HARVEST,DRY ,GRIND IT TO POWDER ,PACKAGE THEM AND SEND THEM TO LAGOS.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by bigtt76(f): 1:46pm On Aug 25, 2022
I think post harvesting practice counts most against the farmers. Its always advisable that after harvesting, it is washed with detergent, rinsed and sunned to dry the water and store in cool dry place.

Most farmers just harvest and off to the market or dump in a place till they are needed. What this means is that dirt containing bacteria are carried and stored along with the harvest hence most don't last.

If you buy from the market, wash and rinse with vinegar you will see how long it would last in your refrigerator compared to just storing without washing.

MideMrPossible:
Yesterday, I visited one of our nearby farmsite where chill pepper is planted by a local farmers and the extent of the loss on the field is just too massive. Immediately, I said to myself we need an on-site storage facility!

Lack of storage facility alone is a big factor militating against agriculture in developing countries and some people are already earning a living by providing a refrigerated storage facilities.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Deeprooted: 1:53pm On Aug 25, 2022
I profered solution to this in my M Sc thesis.

My supervisor published it with my permission though.

I will get the link for you

2 Likes

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by RandyOku: 1:56pm On Aug 25, 2022
alphaconde:
who remembers secondary school agric

problems of agriculture in Nigeria

1, lack of storage facilities

same problems our grand parents encountered, we are battling with, who knows if our kids would escape.

It's patheticcheesy
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by itsene: 1:59pm On Aug 25, 2022
Sun dry, my friend.
Do NOT plant anything you don't know how to harvest.
Pepper can be dried or preserved in bottles juiced.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by akpunda86: 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2022
inoki247:
And dem no dey dry this type of pepper....

Says who,chilli pepper dried,all those in noodles are sun dried or by heaters
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by kumulus(m): 2:03pm On Aug 25, 2022
Re-Search and Innovate
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by chaddy16: 2:12pm On Aug 25, 2022
Migeria:
What will be of the chill pepper if refrigerated?

I think proper marketing is a better diveout for cases like this.
When the price of commodities like this are expensive, the demand reduces, hence, wastage.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by PARADIZEPRIEST: 2:28pm On Aug 25, 2022
THERE IS NO WASTAGES IN THIS ERA OF SCI AND TECH. wink
LEARN HOW TO DRY IT AND SELL ON YOUTUBE.STOP COMPLAINING cheesy
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Hunkyimage(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2022
3 Words:

Insufficient and Epileptic Power Supply

Insecurity

Corruption

1 Like

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by fkj950ax(m): 3:14pm On Aug 25, 2022
Nezzjnr:
Government isn't making Enough Or any provision for Storage Equipments for Farm produce.

Someone will Cultivate 10 acres of Tomatoes... Carries it to the market... At the end of the day.. He runs at a loss

Mile12 that's the largest Food Market in South West has only one storage Facility that's hardly in use which is very small.

We still have a long way to go in Agriculture

It is not the responsibility of the government to provide storage equipment for farm produce.

The responsibility of government is to provide power, roads and oversight.

Storage equipment and business will automatically come from private sector to fill those gaps.

If power and roads is liberalized, private sector will fill those gaps also. But it will be tolled or subsidized otherwise Nigerians won’t allow it or complain it’s expensive.

The government has got its hands in too many things including corruption thereby making it very inefficient at its main duties.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Oqw1: 4:24pm On Aug 25, 2022
Really
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Abbafrye(m): 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2022
Why planting in the fist place when u dont have proper plans for storage facility?
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by fkj950ax(m): 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2022
Abbafrye:
Why planting in the fist place when u dont have proper plans for storage facility?

They are farmers. There’s nothing else they do with their time and land.

1 Like

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by bilangha(m): 5:07pm On Aug 25, 2022
MideMrPossible:

pls help me I do farm pepper, which chemical can I apply on my pepper to boost it fruiting
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by missymide: 6:23pm On Aug 25, 2022
The way fruits and vegetables waste in Nigeria is worrisome. When I go to the major food makets in Lagos and see how they throw these things away i imagine the ones that go bad on the way and farms. Processing has to come in to reduce this loss because the seller share the amount of those they loose on the ones sold.

1 Like

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by SEGLIZ: 8:11pm On Aug 25, 2022
Migeria:
What will be of the chill pepper if refrigerated?

I think proper marketing is a better diveout for cases like this.
you are right on this, put or push it to the market. we complain of lark of food yet we lament wastage in the farm. both are not correlating, this the only means to crash the price of food stuff in the market. trying to hoard lead to this wastage. though government has its share of this blame.
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by sallyopy(f): 8:42pm On Aug 25, 2022
Where are u, maybe we can help I Offtaker them

MideMrPossible:

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by brainycaleb(m): 10:05pm On Aug 25, 2022
Powersurge:

2. Stone-age technology: we have useless
agricultural research institutes. There some variants of tomatoes in US that remain viable for 1-2 months without without preservation (genetic engineering).

Bros, genetic engineering and use of fertilisers are the reasons why we suffer certain diseases nowadays especially heart, kidney and stomach diseases!
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by olasquare: 10:24pm On Aug 25, 2022
This is one reason Nigeria is term untapped gold mine. There are rooms for massive improvement. There is need for industrialization. One pivot infrastructure for needed industrialization is electricity. Sadly, none of us is asking our presidential candidates critical and sensible questions on that. We rather stick to trivial debates like tribal egos and sentiments. Shame!

MideMrPossible:

2 Likes

Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Login12: 4:08am On Aug 26, 2022
harmargedon:
When we dey find pepper for hia.
. Location
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by harmargedon: 6:53am On Aug 26, 2022
Login12:
. Location
Ogun State
Re: Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide by Corrections: 7:19am On Aug 26, 2022
Not encouragindg

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 weeks and 8 Weeks Old Local Turkeys Are For Sale in Ibadan / Lagos Acquires 32 Tonnes Per Hour Rice Mill From Switzerland / Maize Farmers Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.