Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,135 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open (14371 Views)

Katia Bissonnette: Female Boxer Withdraws From Tournament Over Transgender Rival / Novak Djokovic Takes On 2 Fat Sumo Heavyweight Fighters (Photos) / Novak Djokovic Beats Rafael Nadal To Win Australian Open Men's Final (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by fergie001: 6:49pm On Aug 25, 2022
Former men's Number One, Novak Djokovic will not play in the U.S. Open, as expected, because he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and thus is not allowed to travel to the United States.

Play is scheduled to begin at Flushing Meadows on Monday, August 29.

The 35-year-old Serb, a three-time US Open winner (2011, 2015 & 2018), owns 21 major championships, one behind Rafael Nadal for the men’s record.

He also was the runner-up at the Meadows six times, including last season when Daniil Medvedev stopped his ambition to score a Grand Slam (winning all four major titles in the same calendar year), a feat only Rodney George Laver achieved in 1962 & 1969.

The U.S. Tennis Association has said all along it will follow government rules about vaccination status for this year’s Open. There is no vaccine mandate at the tournament for players or their support teams — meaning that an unvaccinated American would be allowed to compete — and guests/spectators are not compelled to wear masks.

Foreign citizens who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 are currently unable to enter the U.S or Canada, and Djokovic in an interview in February has said he would rather miss out on future tennis trophies than be forced to get a COVID vaccine. "I was never against vaccination," he told the BBC, confirming he'd had vaccines as a child, "but I've always supported the freedom to choose what you put in your body."

Djokovic missed the Australian Open in January after a protracted legal saga ended with his deportation from that country because he isn’t vaccinated against COVID-19.
He also sat out four significant tournaments in North America in 2022, including in Montreal and Cincinnati recently.

He did play in the French Open this year, where he lost in the quarterfinals to Nadal, and at Wimbledon, where he beat Nick Kyrgios to win the title.

After winning Wimbledon on July 10, Djoko insisted he “would love” to participate in the US Open, but reiterated, he will not get vaccinated.

Djokovic has spent more weeks at No. 1 than anyone else in the history of the ATP rankings. He is No. 6 this week, in part because no rankings points were awarded at Wimbledon this year.

Among the other players who will not be at the U.S. Open for various reasons are No. 2-ranked Alexander Zverev (Injury), the 2020 runner-up in New York; 2016 champion Angelique Kerber (Pregnancy); 2019 French Open finalist Marketa Vondrousova (Injury); Gael Monfils (Injury) and Reilly Opelka.

Sadly, I will not be able to travel to NY this time for US Open. Thank you #NoleFam for your messages of love and support. Good luck to my fellow players! I’ll keep in good shape and positive spirit and wait for an opportunity to compete again. See you soon tennis world!

Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic withdrew from the 2022 US Open prior to the draw taking place this morning. The official seeding list is not determined until the draw is made. As the Qualifying Tournament has commenced, his
withdrawal resulted in a Lucky Loser being included in the draw.

Stacey Allaster, US Open Tournament Director
Novak is a great champion and it is very unfortunate that he will be unable to compete at the 2022 US Open, as he is unable to enter the country due to the federal government's
vaccination policy for non-U.S.citizens. We look forward to welcoming Novak back at the 2023 US Open.

@US Open

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by princeemmma(m): 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2022
His decision should not be affecting his achievement

Vaccination should not be made compulsory to all, i think there should options,

Like: Arrive on time three or four days before the tournament so as to get tested
Isolation for few days before the tournament

The issue of Vaccination has been affecting him all major tournaments so far and its really bad

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Lordbinsmar: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2022
grin
Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by crossfm: 7:16pm On Aug 25, 2022
Hehehe.

Baba no want make these small boys disgrace am.

This guys and attention is like 5n6.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Fidelarinze9(m): 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2022
He knows what he wants

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2022
Why is it like this one is breaking law. No be cos of covid he no go Australia last year abi na early this year.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Ballzproblem2: 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2022
x
Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Kingpele(m): 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2022
Please for whatever you think noble, don't take that stupid vaccine..the president of USA took the full doses of the said vaccine and still test positive offen ...it's means the vaccine is a scam..am not talking about the end time aspect of it because i don't believe the world is ending soon, I believe a person can die in next minute and for that reason we should honour God with our lives..but am talking about the inefficiency of the vaccines and their toll on human genetics..

63 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Moneyyman: 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2022
The US first lady got vaccinated, got boosters, and has all the medical care that money and power can buy, yet she's tested positive sever times now.

It is not about the vaccine, but about control.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by ecolime(m): 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2022
Djokovic cheesy

His body, his choice.

I like this guy's conviction.

I got both Jabs due to work reasons, but I honestly wish I never did.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Lumig: 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2022
cool
For not taking the vaccine alone, my love and respect for Djokovic has just skyrocketed. I hate following the crowd

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by noble71(m): 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2022
shocked
Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Nairalander248: 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2022
Rubb1sh World Order

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Zimzy(m): 7:19pm On Aug 25, 2022
Standing by his personal believe makes him honourable. On the other hand what is even the use of the vaccine when even the president of America and the first Lady still caught up with COVID-19 after taking I believe the full dose of the vaccine. To me it is of no use putting that thing into my body.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Omoluabi16(m): 7:19pm On Aug 25, 2022
Not a fan of the joker, but this is criminal. Where are his fundamental rights? Imagine the nonsense denying him 2 slams! Na man him be. Staying true to his convictions.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by adioolayi(m): 7:20pm On Aug 25, 2022
This man is moving against the world..anyways, it's good to stay true to what you believe in...he doesn't believe in CoVID19 vaccine and that's fine.

28 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by BuddhaPalm(m): 7:21pm On Aug 25, 2022
princeemmma:

Like: Arrive on time three or four days before the tournament so as to get tested

The issue of Vaccination has been affecting him all major tournaments so far and its really bad

Especially for a vaccine that doesn't work.

20 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Jokerman(m): 7:23pm On Aug 25, 2022
What's the essence of the vaccination when some that have take up to 100 shots still contract the covid scam grin

14 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by inoki247: 7:23pm On Aug 25, 2022
the yeye Vaccine I don colet my 2 shot dem still dey tell me to always come 6 month for booster.....

I no even think say the vaccine dey work na just waste of time.....

If no be Waka waka wey person dey du up nd down nd I no fit dey pay for Covid test result everytime I wan waka wetin I wan use the Vaccine du... The Vaccine only saves me money buh anything apart from dat I no see d usefulness.....

3 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 7:23pm On Aug 25, 2022
Good man

Stand on what you believe in like Nigerians

Covid na scam

2 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by RickieNas(m): 7:24pm On Aug 25, 2022
This vaccination process doesn't sit well with me, cos upon vaccination you can still contract covid-19 you're not well protected and don't take precautions measures, so I feel it should be made optional

6 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by 07kjb: 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2022
Djokovic is a real man, like me people that stood their grounds no matter what it takes

Even a grand slam isn't worth altering your body

Kudos to the best Lawn tennis player of all time

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Guyman01: 7:27pm On Aug 25, 2022
He is the fittest athlete in the world surrounded by a team of personal doctors. A lot of people in America have been injured by the vaccine and it could end his career if anything goes wrong.
People should start challenging politicians taking up the roles of medical doctors and scientists who have informed the world that COVID is less deadly than the flu and malaria kills more people in Africa than COVID.
Children have less 1% chance of contracting COVID

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Kyase(m): 7:27pm On Aug 25, 2022
princeemmma:

It’s not compulsory to US citizens but if as an outsider you want to come to the USA it’s a must to be vaccinated

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by fredoooooo: 7:28pm On Aug 25, 2022
His problem , his decision

2 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by Staphylococcus: 7:29pm On Aug 25, 2022
princeemmma:

He has chosen to be foolish!

You can’t go against powers that make be, they will ruin his career and lose nothing.

Look at Colin Kaepernick, where is he today?

Look at those radicals that go against school authorities, they always end up losing out!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by 2Radii: 7:30pm On Aug 25, 2022
Kingpele:
Please for whatever you think noble, don't take that stupid vaccine..the president of USA took the full doses of the said vaccine and still test positive offen ...it's means the vaccine is a scam..am not talking about the end time aspect of it because i don't believe the world is ending soon, I believe a person can die in next minute and for that reason we should honour God with our lives..but am talking about the inefficiency of the vaccines and their toll on human genetics..
pls if person want to japa nko and the test result is needed
Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by dazzlingd(m): 7:31pm On Aug 25, 2022
It is not okay to mandate people to take that nonsense vaccine

4 Likes

Re: COVID Vaccination: Novak Djokovic Withdraws From US Open by HitRun(m): 7:33pm On Aug 25, 2022
Kingpele:

Ignorance is a disease.

Go and find out the function of a vaccine.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Pillars Vs Moghreb Tetouan:Caf Champions League (2 - 1) On 4th April 2015 / Emery Strips Xhaka Of Arsenal Captaincy And Gives It To Aubameyang / Joseph Yobo Meets With Rabiu Kwankwaso At An Event In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.