Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur (47596 Views)

How Can I Stop Sleeping While In The Mosque? / Time To Stop Eating Sahur? / How Do I Stop My Addiction To Zina (fornication) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by javalove(m): 6:40am On Aug 08, 2011
Salam Alykun and Ramadan Mubarak to everyone. May Allah accept it from us.

Please I want to know when exactly one should stop eating his/her sahur. In a situation where there are like 3 to 4 mosques in your neighborhood and the athan is called at slightly different times. When the Athan is called, is there a plus or minus number of minutes for one to stop eating or one must sop immeiately the athan is heard. , ?

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by Araboy(m): 12:44pm On Aug 08, 2011
One should stop eating whenever the Fajr Adhaan is called especially the one from the closest mosque to your place but to be on the safe side I will say whenever the first  Adhaan is heard from any mosque in your location you should stop instantly
And don't listen to people who say it is forbidden to eat 5 to 10 mn before Fajr they have no basis and are being extreme in  religion the verse says " eat and drink until the white thread of dawn appear to you distinct  from the black thread "2 :187
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by olawalebabs(m): 12:17pm On Aug 10, 2011
Araboy:

One should stop eating whenever the Fajr Adhaan is called especially the one from the closest mosque to your place but to be on the safe side I will say whenever the first  Adhaan is heard from any mosque in your location you should stop instantly
And don't listen to people who say it is forbidden to eat 5 to 10 mn before Fajr they have no basis and are being extreme in  religion the verse says " eat and drink until the white thread of dawn appear to you distinct  from the black thread "2 :187
Correct, let me just add this, the Prophet (SAW) enjoin us to stop, when the weather is clear enough to differentiate white from black thread.
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by maclatunji: 3:38pm On Aug 15, 2011
I am afraid my brothers here have given a technical reply to a questioner whom I suspect wants a practical answer. The truth is that most of our local Mosques (in Lagos O) will call the Adhan at 5.30 am. Me, I will advice you to do everything in your power to conclude your Sari grin(Sahur) before 5.10 am in Lagos. I know, this is not the standard time, but it will help you in your case not to eat when morning don knack (when dawn comes).

N.B: Most of the mosques have made it a standard to call Adhan at 5.30 am whether or not it is actually correct,

4 Likes

Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by maclatunji: 3:41pm On Aug 15, 2011
I am talking of this year's Ramadhan fast O, not that of any other year.
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by usmanjaji(m): 10:32pm On Aug 15, 2011
Jazakhalah Khairan to everyone. . .

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 26, 2011
But why do they call for prayers even when is dark and the black thread is not even distinct from white thread?anyway am less concerned really cos i eat and drink until i see the white thread emanating from black thread as Allah said and not when ADHAN is called.
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by Sweetnecta: 1:25pm On Sep 26, 2011
the white and black threads are not the physical threads, because we may have to wonder how thick such threads are.

thickness of threads will have direct relationship with their visibility, which is how you will be able to differentiate them.

the white and black threads here are the sign of the arrival of the Fajr; the time that demarcates the leaving of the current night which started from the time of magrub and the coming of the new day which starts before the adhan of salatul subh.

If you look up in the sky, you may without the glaring lights of the city see the light of new day coming down on top of the darkness of the night that you have been in.

some people say that you may begin to see the top of the mountain.

to eat through till you can see the difference of the two threads is like too late.

1 Like

Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
Not too late,Allah says eat and drink until you see the white thread distinct from the black thread,and it can be seen,so why would i stop eating when the adhan is called and is still dark.Theres no muslim that would refer it to a phisical thread pls.
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by Sweetnecta: 5:09pm On Sep 26, 2011
the threads are not physical threads for your clothes.

you should research it.
please goggle and or read the tafsir of the ayah.

there is a story that a person in Madina literally took threads as you have stated, except that what it really means is not threads, but signs of the lights and darkness that meet when dawn is beginning.

in some places when they pray just 10 to 20 minutes from that dawn time, it will still be dark, and Salatul Subh would have been made in the masjid while others may still be eating.

Or are you thinking that you can make salatul Subh and still have room to eat?
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by bizpreneur(m): 11:40am On Sep 29, 2011
@UPLAWAL, jazaaki LLAHU Kaeran,I alwyz feels elatd&insprd most times U make ur stands base on islamc holy scrptur&SUNNAH,WALLAH' I realy admre ur courage as per d mannr U alwayz analyz& held on2 islamc injuctns as rveald by ALLAH(s.w.t.)& as practcd/tought by hol.proph. MUHAMD(s.a.w.),wow U knd of MUSLIMAH othrs shd take as role model,I doff my hat 4 U&Kp it up'
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by Sweetnecta: 3:38pm On Sep 29, 2011
if i hear adhan i will stop eating, except what is in my mouth, already.

as a matter of fact, if one knows from list what the time of dawn is assumed, it is advisable to stop eating 10 minutes before it.
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by JaaizTech: 4:55am On Jun 21, 2015
Question: [/b]Respected scholars, As-Salamu `Alaykum. I am from Turkey, and currently living in Detroit, USA. I am very confused about imsak and fajr. In Turkey, Muslims finish suhoor 15 minutes before fajr. Prayer times I downloaded from the internet do not have imsak. Muslims here finish suhoor at fajr. Which one is right? Jazakum Allahu Khayran.

[b]Answer:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thanks a lot for your question, which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to become well acquainted with the teachings of Islam in all aspects of life.
First of all, bear in mind that Allah has permitted the fasting person to eat and drink until dawn comes. He, Most High, says: (and eat and drink until the white thread becometh distinct to you from the black thread of the dawn) (Al-Baqarah 2:187)

The exact cut-off time for imsak (abstaining from food, drink, etc.) is the time offajr (dawn); so if you ate until that time you did not incur any sin. Most of the time people confuse between the preferred time and the permissible one; the preferred time for imsak, according to scholars, is to finish sahur ten minutes before fajr.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following,

You need not be overly confused about this issue, for it is merely a difference of opinion based on the distinction between what is preferred and what is merely permissible. There is no doubt that the cut-off point for consuming sahur is the arrival of dawn (i.e., fajr time). However, the preferred time for abstention is 10 or 15 minutes earlier than that.

The basis for establishing the preferred time of abstention (imsak ) is an authentic tradition from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). One of his Companions narrated the story of takingsahur with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). Upon hearing it, someone asked him, "What was the time gap between your sahur and fajr salah?" He replied, "The time required to read fifty verses of the Qur'an." It is estimated that this time can be 10 or 15 minutes and not more.

This, therefore, is the basis for the imsak time you are used to in Turkey. However, it must be pointed out that the above mentioned hadith does not state that it is not permissible to consumesahur later than that, for it only states that it was the sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). As for the permissibility of consuming sahur until the arrival of dawn, it has been established by the clear text of the Qur'an: (Eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct from the black thread of night) (Al-Baqarah 2:187)

Allah Almighty knows best.
Re: When Should I Stop Eating My Sahur by conquest989: 5:24am On Jun 21, 2015
for day 4

(1) (Reply)

EX-Nigerian Footballer Emeka Ezeugo Convert To Islam. Pix / Allahu Akbar Appears On A Tree In Ikorodu Area Of Lagos. Photos / Muslims: How To Make Your Husband Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.