Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device (4615 Views)

Viral: Young Nigerian Calls Buhari A BASTARD Because Of Traffic Congestion. / Why Is Rivers State Sea Port Underutilised While Lagos Suffers From Congestion? / Ideas For Solving Traffic Congestion In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Boyoorisha: 9:19am On Aug 08, 2011
Governor Babatunde Fashola on Wednesday launched an electronic device to check whether vehicles have valid documents without engaging in manual stop and check of vehicles’ papers.

The device, Auto Inspector, is the first of its kind in Nigeria and will help to reduce traffic gridlock on Lagos’ highways occasioned by police stop and check of vehicles’ documents. With the device, stolen vehicles can also be easily identified as the device could tell the name of the owners of such vehicles as well as the history of such vehicles.

Launching the device at the Adeyemi Bero Auditorium, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, South West Nigeria, Fashola said Lagos had joined the league of selected cities in the developing world where traffic management and compliance with vehicle documentation regulations had been revolutionised with the introduction of high-tech device .“Traffic congestion experience on Lagos roads is some of the time compounded when traffic control and law enforcement officers stop motorists to check their vehicle particulars and determine their documentation status which hitherto was done manually. “This is avoidable stress and the same purpose of checking particulars and documentation of vehicles can be achieved through automation utilising technology without disturbing the flow of traffic,” he said.

According to him, the auto inspector service would enable traffic control and law

enforcement officers to simply punch the registration number of a vehicle into a hand-held electronic device and instantly determine thevehicle and vehicle owner’s documentation status. “The hand-held auto inspector device will be issued to and used by officers and men of the Nigeria police, LASTMA, VIOs and ultimately, the FRSC. Vehicles that will be screened by auto inspector are those registered in Lagos State which have their updated documentation data including vehicle license, driver’s license, hackney permit and road worthiness/MOT captured on the AUTOREG platform which is operated by the Motor Vehicle Administration’s technical partner, Courteville Investment Plc,” he said. Fashola added that the device would enhance compliance since motorists in contravention were easily identified as the device verifies the validity or otherwise of the vehicle documents instantly.

He stated that the device would lead to relative reduction in man-hours wasted

in traffic during checks by law officers as well as help to eliminate corrupt practices by law enforcement agents as the status of any vehicle screened was simultaneously captured both by the hand-held device and operators manning the servers at the Automated Registration, AUTOREG control rooms. “It is also a huge boost to our crime prevention and control efforts due to instant data-capturing capabilities. It will also boost e-governance,” he said while advising motorists to update their vehicle documentations
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Boyoorisha: 9:20am On Aug 08, 2011
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by ashiri1: 10:54am On Aug 08, 2011
hope it wud be used well and has no 'roger' link tied to it
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by member67023: 10:59am On Aug 08, 2011
It will either be used, misused or abused.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Boyoorisha: 11:07am On Aug 08, 2011
Let us be positive please!
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by werepeLeri: 11:13am On Aug 08, 2011
who told u it is new?

Whats the difference between this one and the one required by FRSC/Police to be fitted to your car plate number? This had been in existence for at least three years now and I see it on cars all over the place. It serves the same purpose of checking vehicle particulars without stopping the car. I have them fitted on my cars.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 08, 2011
nice development
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by marocguy(m): 12:07pm On Aug 08, 2011
and wat happens 2 non compliant vehicles? Dem go park dem well. Not much changed, but gud device though. Hope it has internet connection 2 receive live up to date data of registered vehicles 2 avoid conflits
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:23pm On Aug 08, 2011
Well Blow Me!! shocked This means I no longer have to argue for hours with the police or try to prove that my vehicle papers are not fake, hmmm that simply means the {Police will ignore car papers and start looking at your Police Reports. Fashola should introduce Police Paper-checking devices to catch those who have not been rogerring their dues of N50 daily grin
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by djustice: 12:42pm On Aug 08, 2011
Fashola must think we're all numbskulls.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and faster to use an RFID based system to identify vehicles so that the delay occasioned by the officer punching in the vehicle's details can be eliminated. An RFID chip on the Vehicle Licence label would simply broadcast the vehicle details to a hand-held unit with an AMOLED screen, which would display the owner's details. A quick question and answer session would confirm that the driver is either the owner or driving with the authorisation of the owner. The details could even include the owner's telephone number, to which a text can be sent demanding a return call to the holder of the unit for verbal confirmation that the driver is the person authorised to operate the vehicle.

All of this can happen in less than 2 minutes, and the driver is either arrested or sent on their merry way.

The key test, as with all things Fashola is, HOW MUCH IS THIS COSTING THE TAXPAYER
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by werepeLeri: 12:43pm On Aug 08, 2011
Something that has been in use in Abuja and environs since how many years ago.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Kobojunkie: 12:45pm On Aug 08, 2011
Wait . . . . what has this to do with easing traffic congestion again? You mean the reason why cars get backed up for hours is cause of police checkpoints still?   grin grin grin grin
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by djustice: 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2011
werepeLeri:

Something that has been in use in Abuja and environs since how many years ago.

PDP's publicity machine is not working at all!! Wow! So, Fashola will be allowed to take the credit for something a PDP government initiated, just because he and his theiving cocaine-addict boss control the media, courtesy of their control of Lagos State's fat wallet.

Na wa for Nigerians and their gullibility o!
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by kizydafizy(m): 12:48pm On Aug 08, 2011
The execution of this potentially great concept must be carried out efficiently in order for it to stand the test of time. I'm not really sure it'll all work out but I sure like the mere sound of it.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:00pm On Aug 08, 2011
kizydafizy:

The execution of this potentially great concept must be carried out efficiently in order for it to stand the test of time. I'm not really sure it'll all work out but I sure like the mere sound of it.

Errmm Bros! please remind me, what is happening to Lagos City CCTV! since it was last heralded as ACN Fashola's Legacy to Lagos
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Ojumiii(m): 1:08pm On Aug 08, 2011
I don't know what to say but be a good citizen and remember posterity doesn't forgive
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by AmeLonRo(m): 1:21pm On Aug 08, 2011
Na wa for Naija men. So its bee working in Abuja since? Interesting. Lagos traffic congestion is an issue common to most mega polis and commercial centres. Indiscpline & planlessess however aggravates that of Lagos! Babs Raj Fash is trying for sure. Just needs to do more.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by manny4life(m): 1:38pm On Aug 08, 2011
djustice:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and faster to use an RFID based system to identify vehicles so that the delay occasioned by the officer punching in the vehicle's details can be eliminated. An RFID chip on the Vehicle Licence label would simply broadcast the vehicle details to a hand-held unit with an AMOLED screen, which would display the owner's details. A quick question and answer session would confirm that the driver is either the owner or driving with the authorisation of the owner. The details could even include the owner's telephone number, to which a text can be sent demanding a return call to the holder of the unit for verbal confirmation that the driver is the person authorised to operate the vehicle.

All of this can happen in less than 2 minutes, and the driver is either arrested or sent on their merry way.

The key test, as with all things Fashola is, HOW MUCH IS THIS COSTING THE TAXPAYER

You're right though however, RFID isn't well known or often used and in Nigeria, we still have limitations on RFID tags. RFID has pros and cons and in Nigeria will have more cons than pros.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by laidback(m): 1:48pm On Aug 08, 2011
NICE.

Next problem: Now how do you sustain it.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by texazzpete(m): 1:59pm On Aug 08, 2011
djustice:

Nice idea, but why specify an AMOLED screen when any cheap LCD tech will work just as well? Any sunlight visibility concerns can easily be solved by cupping your hands over the screen grin. We wanna cut down on costs,
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by momastics(m): 2:05pm On Aug 08, 2011
Putting the cart before the horse
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by goggs(m): 2:09pm On Aug 08, 2011
Boyoorisha:

Governor Babatunde Fashola on Wednesday launched an electronic device to check whether vehicles have valid documents without engaging in manual stop and check of vehicles’ papers.

The device, Auto Inspector, is the first of its kind in Nigeria and will help to reduce traffic gridlock on Lagos’ highways occasioned by police stop and check of vehicles’ documents. With the device, stolen vehicles can also be easily identified as the device could tell the name of the owners of such vehicles as well as the history of such vehicles.

Launching the device at the Adeyemi Bero Auditorium, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos, South West Nigeria, Fashola said Lagos had joined the league of selected cities in the developing world where traffic management and compliance with vehicle documentation regulations had been revolutionised with the introduction of high-tech device .“Traffic congestion experience on Lagos roads is some of the time compounded when traffic control and law enforcement officers stop motorists to check their vehicle particulars and determine their documentation status which hitherto was done manually. “This is avoidable stress and the same purpose of checking particulars and documentation of vehicles can be achieved through automation utilising technology without disturbing the flow of traffic,” he said.

This is not the first of its kind in the country. FCT Abuja VIO intorduced the device since last year and its being made compulsory. the problem was that FCT has influx of people from neigbouring states every day, are they going to be forced to acquire the device before coming into the capital city? Even if the visit is once in a year? Thats why the system has remained controversial in the FCT till date.

Hope that the Lagos system will address these short coming
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by MMM2(m): 3:00pm On Aug 08, 2011
cool
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by tlops(m): 3:38pm On Aug 08, 2011
nakedwire:

It will either be used, misused or abused.
you forgot 'un-used'
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by RexyDon(m): 4:28pm On Aug 08, 2011
dis kind invention or technology no go work here in naija, of course ABA people go faken the whole technology and d process.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by obiscolly(m): 4:28pm On Aug 08, 2011
this is nonsense if u ask me, it can only be used effectively in technologically advanced countries not developing countries like Nigeria. very soon u'll start hearing complaints that the devices can't be used effeciently cos of bad network in Nigeria. I think fashola should focus on more important issues than all these crap he's talkn about.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by obiscolly(m): 4:31pm On Aug 08, 2011
RexyDon:

dis kind invention or technology no go work naija, of course ABA people go faken the whole technology and d process.

was this meant to be a joke or something wats d relationship between aba and dis topic. I think u're really hungry! angry angry
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Aug 08, 2011
djustice:

I like your idea. But here's a question, why does the state need all the vehicles checking? I get an idea that vehicles are checked more often than one would think they should here.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by blackboy(m): 6:09pm On Aug 08, 2011
First, ACN are very good with the media and propaganda. Bravo!! First as some of us have pointed out it has been in existence since in Abuja fully in force since 2010. It's not new, I wonder why the press would perputuate false stories '' first in Africa/Nigeria''.
In reducing traffic, I laugh, Lagosians ,congratulations on being abrakadabrad by the ACN governement. Just another ploy to levy Lagos Car owners, fine them, have them harrassed by LASTMA, generate money for Lagos and as well as give one ACN stalwart or stoog the juicy contract. I know Lagosians wont care. What is 2,000 Naira?
It does not reduce traffic trust me. Are all the police check points legal? LagosPolice will stop your car and be looking for what i snot lost. Customs papers blahh blahh blahh, will it tell if you have a fire extinguisher or not, spare tyre or not?
I love ACN they got Lagosians brain washed. Yes , BRF has transformed Lagos compared under the horrible condition Tinubu put Lagosians in After Marwa started a transformation.
When they were introducing it in Abuja , they never told us dumb stories about reducing traffic but that it will help get those without licences or have not renewed it.
Lagos State gornement , you guys are brilliant before the end of the year or BRF's tenure Lagosians will be paying to the government for almost everything they use, pay tax for it, billed for using it and pay for stepping out of their houses to Lagos State government. Yet the government is making billions per month for VAT, billions from IGR and not to mention burdened doubled taxation and levies and Federal Government allocation . Yet the people in LAgos are suffering and smiling ( as Fela said). Lagos My Lagos, I dont blame ACN , Im not saying PDP wouldn't see how much money they can make. Where are the jobs, social amenities, good housing, health care? The people of Lagos deserve a lot more. Lagos government should b sincere and make life better for Lagosians.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 08, 2011
checking particulars waste a lot of people's time but its not what is causing traffic on the roads. Lets not be decieved. Good initiative though, as long as its properly applied
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by djustice: 7:28pm On Aug 08, 2011
blackboy:

First, ACN are very good with the media and propaganda. Bravo!! First as some of us have pointed out it has been in existence since in Abuja fully in force since 2010. It's not new, I wonder why the press would perputuate false stories '' first in Africa/Nigeria''.
In reducing traffic, I laugh, Lagosians ,congratulations on being abrakadabrad by the ACN governement. Just another ploy to levy Lagos Car owners, fine them, have them harrassed by LASTMA, generate money for Lagos and as well as give one ACN stalwart or stoog the juicy contract. I know Lagosians wont care. What is 2,000 Naira?
It does not reduce traffic trust me. Are all the police check points legal? LagosPolice will stop your car and be looking for what i snot lost. Customs papers blahh blahh blahh, will it tell if you have a fire extinguisher or not, spare tyre or not?
I love ACN they got Lagosians brain washed. Yes , BRF has transformed Lagos compared under the horrible condition Tinubu put Lagosians in After Marwa started a transformation.
When they were introducing it in Abuja , they never told us dumb stories about reducing traffic but that it will help get those without licences or have not renewed it.
Lagos State gornement , you guys are brilliant before the end of the year or BRF's tenure Lagosians will be paying to the government for almost everything they use, pay tax for it, billed for using it and pay for stepping out of their houses to Lagos State government. Yet the government is making billions per month for VAT, billions from IGR and not to mention burdened doubled taxation and levies and Federal Government allocation . Yet the people in LAgos are suffering and smiling ( as Fela said). Lagos My Lagos, I dont blame ACN , Im not saying PDP wouldn't see how much money they can make. Where are the jobs, social amenities, good housing, health care? The people of Lagos deserve a lot more. Lagos government should b sincere and make life better for Lagosians.

In fact, the abracadabra is just too much for me o! They are killing the people slowly, yet the same people are hailing them joyously, with every stab of the knife in their own backs, even egging them on:"Stab me deeper, please, a little harder".

Lagosians have been turned into sado-mashochists by the continued assault by the Lagos State/ACN media.
Re: Traffic Congestion; Fashola Lunches New Vehicle Checking Device by werepeLeri: 9:25pm On Aug 08, 2011
obiscolly:

this is nonsense if u ask me,  it can only be used effectively in technologically advanced countries not developing countries like Nigeria. very soon u'll start hearing complaints that the devices can't be used effeciently cos of bad network in Nigeria. I think fashola should focus on more important issues than all these crap he's talkn about.

u r so daft. LOL

(1) (2) (Reply)

READ Rev. Mbaka's Warning Message To Buhari / Exclusive: Theft By Rotimi Amaechi Now N242.4 Billion And Still Counting / Statistics Of The Biafrian War: What Chance Does Odua /arewa Military Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.