Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization (2549 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 08, 2011
what is it about the ancient egyptian civilization that some people think it couldnt have been built by "munts"

i was reading a book recently "into africa." in this book, the author said he met a woman in egypt and they were discussing about the ancient civilization. the woman said that this civilization couldnt have been built by some people who are not too different from 10year olds only dirtier. that was the first time i knew about the argument "egyptian civilization, black or not?"
i came on the internet to find peoples opinion about whether the civilization was black or not and i was so surprised at what an issue it was.
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Rgp92: 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2011
Ancient Egypt were black. Did you know that the Ancient yoruba kingdom "ILE IFE" was so beautiful that whiteman didnt belive it was build by black people? Did you also know that the igbo had Democracy before the whiteman? My point is a lot of arab and white people dont know alot about Africa. The ancient nubia (sudan today) have more pyramide than Egypt, but you dont hear a lot about it because the nubia were very dark. It will be hard for other race to steal them. You also gotta know that the media is again us ( blacks).
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 09, 2011
You also gotta know that the media is again us ( blacks).

this is something i keep hearing and i ask myself, what reason have they got to be against us blacks? why is that of all races in the world it is only the black race that the whites cannot see anything good about. or is it that some black people are making up these alegations
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Rgp92: 3:09pm On Aug 09, 2011
souldust:

this is something i keep hearing and i ask myself, what reason have they got to be against us blacks? why is that of all races in the world it is only the black race that the whites cannot see anything good about. or is it that some black people are making up these alegations

They dont like the asian either wink They control almost all asia country except China, North Korea and Vietnam wink They control every country in Africa except Libya, you can see what is happening there wink The whiteman needed something to be proud of. We were the easy target to do that on. They tried that in asia but failed. Asia people have been fighting whiteman for ages. When they first arrive in Africa, we took them with good hand not know them properly
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by ababda: 3:36pm On Aug 09, 2011
souldust:

I hate to ask this question, why you did not go to a Sudanese  or maybe Egyptian forum to ask it, since the culture were part of nile valley civilization. Here is  a quote from a Dinka by the screen name Ta seti, his answer makes the most sense.

[b]It is likely that the Roman word (Nubia"wink is derived from the Egyptian word "nub" meaning gold, as the areas south of Egypt were very much rich in that metal. However, the closest thing to "Nubia" the Egyptians used was Nubti which was a city in Egypt.

"Nubti" - the Golden city- describes a city and a geographical region that was in fact a part of Kemet (Egypt) for much of it's history. It is actually not the name of a Nation or a people from pre-Roman times. Indeed much of the geographical area that is "Nubia" was probably a part of Kemet for longer than it was a part of any other nation, including Kush.

If there was no Nation-State called "Nubia", and no people called "Nubians" (in antiquity) then how could they have had a name for themselves? In addition to that - the Medijay "Nubians" (ancestors of the Beja) - spoke an Afro-Asiatic language, whilst other "Nubians" spoke a Nilo-Saharan language.

In the absence of a common language - what could they have called themselves? On the one hand the New kingdom founders are said to have come from "Nubia", on the other, they are said to be at war with Nubia.

On the one hand the enemies of the ancient Egyptians are said to have included "Nubians - the Kushites- on the other hand, their allies are said to include "Nubians" - the Medijay. The more we discuss what is "Nubia"? — the more I'm convinced that the concept is just a mess.

The word "Nubt" simply means gold, but does not designate actual ethnic groups. In Kemetian (ancient Egyptian) literature such as the famine stela —Ta-Seti is called the first of the first - denoting the importance of this nome as being the beginning. In the same stela it recounts a story of priests of Khnum in Nubia saving the third dynasty Egyptians from drought.

The ancient Egyptians themselves never used the term but referred to these groups by their actual name or ethnonyms they had for them — as a consequence - we have the Irtjet-Nubians, Medijay-Nubians, Yam-Nubians, Wawat-Nubians, the Setjau-Nubians and the Kaau-Nubians.

"Nubia" - has been all along - a contrived Eurocentric imposition seldom ever found in the primary text. It's just a false dichotomy, it serves it's purpose which is to keep everyone confused and failing to grasp the critical themes of Nile Valley history and civilisation.

With all that being said - in certain time frames, powerful independent Kingdoms developed in Upper "Nubia", notably the Kush kingdom - with its capital at Meroe. These developments can't be ignored.

The earliest and perhaps most prominent "Nubian" group were the Setjau people whose kingdom of Ta-Seti was the earliest historical kingdom in the Nile Valley preceeding both Ta-Shemau (Upper Egypt) and Ta-Mehu (Lower Egypt). Not only do the earliest hieroglyphs and pharaonic symbols originate in Ta-Seti but there is even evidence in the oldest capital cities of Upper Egypt were ruled by elite families of Ta-Seti origin.

Thus, the oldest examples of mummification come from the southwestern sahara; the oldest example of pharaonic kingship come from Ta-Seti; the oldest examples of heiroglyphic writing from TaSeti and Ta-Shemu (Upper Egypt) and are based on the rock art from the once wet sahara dating back to before the Nile Valley was populated.

With the unification of Egypt - Ta-Seti was said to have been overcome or as some scholars think - destroyed by Egyptians. But it is interesting that the Egyptians throughout dynastic history still considered Ta-Seti to be Egypt's 1st Nome. This is why many significant dynasties sought to claim ancestry from Ta-Seti in one way or another and why "Nubian" groups like Kushites also tried to claim the Egyptian throne.

In the old Kingdom, the land they called Ta-Seti, was actually the southern nome of Kemet. But then at the same time, the land further south and adjacent to the Kemetian southern border was also referred to as Ta-Seti. Such terminology probably influenced the Europeans into resorting to the use of a single terminology for that region; right below Elephantine, from the 1st cataract extending to 6th cataract.

The "Nubian" terminology doesn't really tell as much, in terms of the changing Kemetian (Egyptian) southern border, as well as the changing Kemetian terminologies of that region. At the time Ta-Seti was being used to designate the "Nubian" region, Kemetians also used Wawat as a specific reference to Lower "Nubia". As I understand it, some of these names had something to do with the description of the folks who lived in the region (s) in question. Yet another general name applied to the "Nubian" region at this time, was Ta-Nehesy.

All of these facts are obscured by the current historical dialectic of Egyptology vs. Nubianology — A system which is in some ways, the intellectual/historic discourse equivelant of apartheid. "Nubia" is the contrived Bantustan of Nile Valley history.

The complex relationship between what is called Kemet, and what is called "Nubia" by modern historians only leads to confusion. "Western" Egyptology attempts to say to Africans — "You go play there, and don't cross the line."; a line of their own creation - serving their agenda, and not an African one.

Hopefully African scholars will ultimately reject this chimera, just as South Africans rejected apartheid's Bantustans[/b]
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by ababda: 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2011
continue from ta seti statement

[b]Now, some some scholars have pointed out that at times - the "Nubians" and the Kemetians (ancient Egyptians) had bitter wars with each other. People postulate that because of these wars - the belligerents must have been racially or ethnically separate, however, Upper and Lower Egypt often fought long bitter wars with each other - so would we assume that the same is true for the ancient Kemetians?

The answer is NO! At times, both Lower and Upper Egypt fought each other -with the Heru followers representing the South, and the Set followers representing the people in Lower Egypt. Even later in the dyanstic period, the people of Herakleopolis in Middle Egypt (modern Beni Suef) fought the rebellious Wasetans (Thebans) for the throne of Kemet.

During the 6th dyansty, Kemetians initiated trade with Yam - according to the inscriptions of Harkhuf. The inscription also suggests that the chief of Yam was engaged with a conflict with a Tjemah (Libyan), so Harkhuf extends his help to the chief of Yam, helping him smite the Tjeamh. This shows that, despite the unfriendly relations with some "Nubians" (like the Kushites) - Harkhuf assisted the people of Yam — the people of Yam later served as mercenaries in Kemetian armies because their skills in warfare was much valued. Yamites also introduced a much more stronger and durable bow to the Kemetian arsenal[/b]
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by ababda: 3:45pm On Aug 09, 2011
Quote from Ta Seti

[b]"Nubia" was merely an ancient Egyptian region, in which the ancient Egyptians mined their gold. Throughout the Pharaonic period — this region ("Nubia"wink was in actuality – a part of ancient Egypt. "Nubia" would simple have been a district of Egypt.

The division of civilization into ancient Egypt and "Nubia" is confusing and inaccurate. The bottom line is — "Nubia" is virtually a useless term that I hope -one day- we can get rid of, because it tells us almost nothing about the places or the people it supposedly describes.

I prefer the term Nile Valley civilizations (comparable with "Mesopotamia"wink — from there we can then sort out (with accuracy) - the political, religious and other distinctions, which are often quite complicated and do not, for most of history "divide neatly" into Egypt and "Nubia".

The foundation of Nubian culture and early pre-dynastic Egypt lays in Khartoum Mesolithic which we can see later cultures like Faiyum, Badari and Naqada continued to use the same exact pottery as Khartoum Mesolithic.

The ancient Egyptians and the "Nubians" shared the same culture and even established the same pharaonic political structures — many pharaohs that reigned in Egypt in their prosperity were of "Nubian" ancestry - like the 12th dynasty for instance.

The 12th dynasty was due to the emergence of a ruling family from Nubia -- (Petrie, 1939, p. 176)

A comparison with neighboring Nile Valley skeletal samples suggests that the high status cemetery represents an endogamous ruling or elite segment of the local population at Naqada, which is more closely related to populations in northern Nubia than to neighboring populations in southern Egypt.

American Journal of Physical Anthropology, Vol. 101, Issue 2, October 1996, Pages: 237-246

Here's Nubt- the original "Nubia" — Naqada was the necropolis of the town of Nubt, City of Gold
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by ababda: 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2011
quote from ta seti

Meroe and Napata were cities of the powerful & independent kingdom of Kush — Kush in Upper "Nubia" - which as I understand it, was at first based in Kerma, then to Napata, to be followed by Meroe. Confrontations with Kemet had influenced such relocations.

[b]Kush, was actually the terminology the Kemetians used to describe the Kingdom — I am not sure as to how exactly the Kushites -whether in Napata or Meroe - referred to themselves, but we at least know what the Kemetians called them.

1 The rulers of Ta Seti and Ta Shemu (Upper Egypt) appear to be from one extended family, which makes sense given the whole basis of the African political/religious institution of divine monarchy.

2) They are most akin to the common population of Ta Seti.

3) The specific political institution (the conical crown - divine monarch) that would eventually unite the Nile valley also begins in Ta Seti.

4) All three of the above concord with post facto primary ancient Egyptian texts which *always did claim* that the Kemetic legitimacy comes from Ta Seti.

Often not explored - is how Amun is really a "Nubian" deity named Amani. This is one of the reasons why Gerbal Barkal was built in Napata - to symbolize the unity of the Wasetean (Thebans) Amun with the "Nubian" deity Amani.

The modern "Nubians" are also divided into different tribes such as the Kanuz, Mahas, and the Matoki[/b]
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by ababda: 3:54pm On Aug 09, 2011
This is from the website, disregard the silly bickering from some of the members, but focus on the conversation between nubianking and ta seti.

http://www.sudanforum.net/showthread.php?t=89291&page=5
http://www.sudanforum.net/showthread.php?t=59166

Enjoy and learn from the read.
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by ababda: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2011
Also, you have to read up on the monuments in both Northern Sudan and Egypt, therefore everything Ta Seti said will start to make sense. And it require a great deal of study and careful examination, because of the academic gymnastic to deal with, regardless it is there and the ancient people basically tell it.
Re: What Is It About The Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
una don confuse me tire
the only thing i want to know is what is in that civilization that
makes it so astonishing? is it the pyramids or what?
i have looked at the pyramids many times and i can not see anything spectacular
about it. why is it that they can not believe it was built by niggers if at all it was?

(1) (Reply)

This Is What Happens Immediately After We Die / PHOTOS:- Alake Of Egba Makes Symbolic Visit To Palace Of Ooni Of Ife. / NIGERIA; The Beauty In Diversity!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.