Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security (16172 Views)

We Dey For You, We Go Fight For You Good Man – Cubana Chief Priest To Shettima / Buhari To Shettima: I Will Respond To Your Statement When Handing Over In 2023 / APC Zones Presidency To South West, VP To North East - Tribune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Lurdmax10: 4:10pm On Aug 31, 2022
Ifeanyi Okowa, governor of Delta, says it will be absurd for a vice-president to take charge of the nation’s security

Okowa, who is the vice-presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), was reacting to the comment made by Kashim Shettima, the vice-presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Speaking at the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) conference last week in Lagos, Shettima said he will concentrate on fighting insecurity, while Bola Tinubu, the APC presidential candidate, will focus on fixing the economy — if they are elected in the 2023 elections. 

I have been in the theatre of conflicts for 18 years. I will lead the troops, my principal is an economy wizard who has transformed Lagos into the third largest economy in Africa. He will concentrate on the economy,” he had said. 

By God’s grace, I will handle the security, and not only handle the security, I will lead the troops to battle across the length and breadth of this country.”

Reacting to the comment in a video published by Daily Trust on Wednesday, Okowa said a vice-president cannot take over the constitutional responsibility of the president. 

"I don’t want to talk about their policies. If the vice-president will take charge of security, is he (the president) not going to preside over the security council at the federal level? I don’t understand that. Because there is a commander-in-chief. Is there a reversal in position?” he asked

He can offer advice. But I’ll find it absurd that he speaks about: ‘I’ll take charge of it’. Possibly they have agreed that he’s to be the commander-in-chief.”

WHAT DOES THE CONSTITUTION SAY?

Shettima’s remark, which has been taken to suggest that if elected, he will act as the nation’s chief security officer, has elicited varied reactions from Nigerians.

The 1999 constitution vests the exclusive authority of the commander-in-chief on the president.

Section 130 (2) reads: “The President shall be the Head of State, the Chief Executive of the Federation and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federation”. 

https://www.thecable.ng/okowa-to-shettima-it-would-be-absurd-for-vp-to-take-charge-of-security/amp

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by spyder880(m): 4:11pm On Aug 31, 2022
Totally absurd, what will the trained Generals be doing?

187 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by fman(m): 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2022
He stands to be corrected..
Probably he doesn't know The role of a VP.

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by yinkus6750(m): 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2022
He thought Borno state is Nigeria.
Of course, that's his aim, to be the Commander In Chief as the VP.
I pity Uncle Emilokan, doesn't know what's in stock for him.
May they never happen to Nigeria

228 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Mstick: 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2022
When I watched that clip I couldn't stop laughing, you need to see the conviction he said it with. This politicians get so high off their supply that they think we're all mad like them.

135 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Yankiss(m): 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2022
very absurd. VP as Commander-in-chief of the armed forces makes him the de facto head of state. Is he indirectly telling us that BAT is just a placeholder?

125 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by NotBeenPaid: 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022

President Shettima
Vice President Tinubu.

Another two terrorists in the making!

All Nigerian Politicians are the same.

46 Likes

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by spyder880(m): 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022
fman:
Ok.
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by xpressionx(m): 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022
THE MORE APC TRIES TO CORRECT THE MESS THEY ARE IN,THEY SLIDE FURTHER INTO MORE MESS.
COMMANDER IN CHIEF RELINQUISHING THAT AUTHORITY TO HIS VP WHILE HE IS STILL THE PRESIDENT.

I THOUGHT THEY SAID SHETTIMA WAS SMART?

SUCH A DUMB ASS.

ON OBI'S MANDATE WE STAND.

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Godada(m): 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022

Okowa is right here.

These clowns think they can always fool everyone the way they promised dollar begin equal to naira.

They ranted by how they would improve security. At no point in the history of this country has the sanctity of human life been bastardized and abused. Deaths everywhere.

Bandits having a field day.

They also claimed that they would bring down the price and deal with the petrol subsidy issues. We know better.

They promised us change. What a wicked change it was.

How a serious government will ensure we have electricity.

We failed to see that Tinubu was the image maker for PMB.

Tinubu turned the sinner into a saint.

There is a saying: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Well, we can't be hoodwinked again.

Can we?

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022
teach the bokoharam commander

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Jestin: 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022
Anything from APC is a fat lie

26 Likes

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by BATified2023: 4:13pm On Aug 31, 2022
Obafemi04 please I am not interested in whatever I have to say or whatever u think u want to discuss with me

Stop sending me pm

Respect yourself n lock up
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by clothingonline(m): 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
Each party is making decision 2023 is close

Turkey shirt 4k only
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Nonexisting1: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
Tinubu is only but a placeholder for Shettima. Everybody knows that.

16 Likes

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by blamingthedevil: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
But it can be delegated...Atiku's boy

God Bless Incoming President Bola Tinubu

199 Likes

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by manutdrichie(m): 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
grin

A confirm Boko Haram member wants to take charge of security so he can do whatever he likes with the insurgency

Its time we start laughing at people that support these cretins

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by CondemnBattery(f): 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
Tinubu is just like a place holder for Shetima, so nothing surprising.

Otherwise, what effrontery.
Saying he will head security should be a treasonable offense.

It's his guts for me.

Obidatti is a Goal

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Kingpele(m): 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
Damn
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by BeardGangJnr1(m): 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
Though sehtuma made a blunder on that,
But okawa is too dull to stand on the same podium with shetima.
undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by naijainstinct: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2022
Lol. Shettima didn't see this coming.

Sometimes, overzealousness can be an albatross

14 Likes

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Announced3: 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2022
Look at this Delta rat..
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2022
VP said he’ll be the GCFR��

6 Likes

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Rekhina(f): 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2022
Lol
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Nonexisting1: 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2022
fman:
No need to correct him. Mistakes will not be tolerated again in this country, we have tolerated enough.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Mokason288(m): 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2022
Matter way we don settle since
Re: Okowa To Shettima: It Would Be Absurd For VP To Take Charge Of Security by Akasammyoka: 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2022
This is another catastrophical disaster about to happen. Boko boys will have field. Roaming street and filling it with corpses

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obama Sends Samantha Power To Nigeria Over Boko Haram Growing Threat / Fuel Scarcity: ‘independent Marketers Forced To Cut Down Price In Ekiti’ / Enugu PDP Governorship Primaries 2018 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.