Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,202 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities (10366 Views)

Wike Orders Immediate Closure Of International Conference Centre For Renovation / NUC Orders Closure Of Universities For Elections / NLC Tells Workers To Prepare For Indefinite Strike, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by inteli: 1:24am On Sep 01, 2022
The Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has lamented the effect of the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities on students and tertiary education in the country.

ASUU on February 14 began the strike due to what it described as “failure” on the part of the government to meet its demands.

The demands include the payment of earned allowances, payment of revitalisation funds to universities, creation of visitation panels and implementation of the University Transparency Accountability Solution instead of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System for the payment of workers in the ivory towers.

The government set up a committee headed by Prof Nimi Briggs to look into the demands of the union and review the 2009 ASUU-FG agreement.

ASUU leaders, who walked out of a meeting with the government on August 16, alleged that no offer was made to them.

The PUNCH reports on August 30, 2023, that ASUU declared a total and indefinite strike. The decision was taken at a meeting of the union’s National Executive Council held on Sunday in Abuja. Reacting to the ongoing strike in a tweet on his Twitter handle on Wednesday, the LP presidential candidate said universities have been closed for six months.

He lamented what he described as a ‘staggering corruption’ level in Nigeria, adding that the country has also been polarised along religious and ethnic lines.

He wrote, “Nigeria is vastly polarized and wracked by deep divisions along religious, ethnic and regional lines. There is a staggering level of corruption. Our universities have remained closed for six months.

“While our healthcare system remains almost moribund, power generation and distribution are also at an all-time low.

“Our position is that ASUU strike has lingered for far too long. It is unconscionable, worrisome and unacceptable that FGN would allow such an industrial action to become almost intractable to the detriment of our students.

“It’s time for FGN to engage in collaborative negotiations with ASUU, and in good faith. -PO”

https://punchng-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/punchng.com/indefinite-strike-peter-obi-laments-varsity-closure/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#aoh=16619899840880&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fpunchng.com%2Findefinite-strike-peter-obi-laments-varsity-closure%2F

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Praxis758: 1:48am On Sep 01, 2022
Workers’ union in Nigeria have overtaken thunder in striking. That’s why thunder no longer strike like before.

Let this Obi win and he’ll realize that governance is beyond statistics and comparisons.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by dante0147: 4:45am On Sep 01, 2022
grin
Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by FunkeAyorinde: 4:46am On Sep 01, 2022
It's bad that the Buhari govt is incurably adamant to this issue

7 Likes

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Princeton92(m): 4:46am On Sep 01, 2022
Hmmmmm...
For a moment I think we need a teach OR lecturer as a President for once let's see something, because these are the people that help mould the world so let's see their style of ruling MAYBE!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by dante0147: 4:46am On Sep 01, 2022
Praxis758:
Workers’ union in Nigeria have overtaken thunder in striking. That’s why thunder no longer strike like before.

Let this Obi win and he’ll realize that governance is beyond statistics and comparisons.

That's why I tell people this man doesn't have the experience.... To even to make matters worse with the current situation the county is in right now I don't think this guy can do shit my fear is he will end up like Buhari too...

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Fuckingmallam45(m): 4:46am On Sep 01, 2022
Same Obi that AWKA
MEDICAL and Dental practitioners waded into the 13 –month strike during his administration as a Governor has the audacity to talk. Are all politicians not the same? Wonders will never cease, so they say. Back to ASUU:
The standard of education is poor in public institutions. You don't get any value for the money you being paid. The lecturers don't care about lecturing. They sell handouts, collect dues and that's about it. In my school for instance, a lecturer might not show up in the class for the entire semester, that doesn't mean he won't set questions at the end of the semester. It's on you as a student to make sure you read the ridiculous lecture materials and pass the exams. Passing the exams can be through luck, hardwork, or sorting the lecturer -in-charge. It is what it is, but that's the truth. The decadence in the system is beyond words. I could spend the entire day, highlighting the faults in public institutions.
But there is a catch to all of that; despite all the odds, if an individual should graduate with a second class upper in my school, without paying for grades, he's bound to excel anywhere in life, same applicable to other institution graduates.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by mycar: 4:47am On Sep 01, 2022
Assu strike is just one of the numerous problems we are having in this country, nonechallant atitude of the government.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Fairview1: 4:49am On Sep 01, 2022
Most accountable public office holder till date. We believe in your government come2023.

7 Likes

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by dante0147: 4:50am On Sep 01, 2022
mycar:
Assu is just one of the numerous problems we are having in this country

Caused by AGBADO PEOPLES CONGRESS

13 Likes

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by b0rn2fuck(m): 4:51am On Sep 01, 2022
Let them continue striking

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by mickeyenglish(m): 4:52am On Sep 01, 2022
Here we go again!! Another round of statistics from Princeton and Harvard University loading...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by wink2015(m): 4:52am On Sep 01, 2022
Federal and state government should start investing in Agriculture and solid mineral sectors.

Apart from Niger Delta Crude Oil Money, Revenue will be generated from other sectors to fund education.

The federal, state band local government in Nigeria should cut down on the high cost of governance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by omooba969(m): 4:59am On Sep 01, 2022
Princeton92:
Hmmmmm...
For a moment I think we need a teacher OR lecturer as a President for once let's see something, because these are the people that help mould the world so let's see their style of ruling MAYBE!

I think GEJ was once a lecturer and we can't forget so quickly how his administration handled the education sector.

So that you're aware! grin

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Nobody: 5:00am On Sep 01, 2022
See let me tell you guys.if next year's election is rigged in favour of APC or pdp.. we would burn this country down... iam telling you the fact.happy New month
Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by omooba969(m): 5:03am On Sep 01, 2022
Outsiders would continue to wonder why the youth population choose to be docile on matters affecting their lives and future.

Nigerians are a special breed indeed. grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by vickthourh(m): 5:04am On Sep 01, 2022
ASUU and FGN are different corrupt bodies..
Let their leaders find a solution to this

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Akinsete19(m): 5:04am On Sep 01, 2022
Nawa o
Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by omooba969(m): 5:07am On Sep 01, 2022
Hopeba:
See let me tell you guys.if next year's election is rigged in favour of APC or pdp.. we would burn this country down... I am telling you the fact. happy New month

You're not burning anything down. grin Why must you wait until next year or don't you understand the problems you're facing anymore?

You people sef grin, waiting till next year elections...Lol cheesy

18 Likes

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by lifeandjoy: 5:08am On Sep 01, 2022
A vote for Peter Obi is a vote for massive change in Nigeria.

Quote me if your master gave you some parcel to inhale this morning.

I'm Obidient!

7 Likes

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Nobody: 5:09am On Sep 01, 2022
omooba969:

You're not burning anything down. grin Why must you wait until next year or don't you understand the problems you're facing anymore?

You people sef grin.... waiting till next year elections - lol cheesy
we are waiting to see if u still have any sense of reasoning..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by omooba969(m): 5:10am On Sep 01, 2022
vickthourh:
ASUU and FGN are different corrupt bodies..
Let their leaders find a solution to this

The youth are yet to realise the solutions are in their hands but even Peter Obi would not say it out confidently. wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by omooba969(m): 5:11am On Sep 01, 2022
Hopeba:
we are waiting to see if u still have any sense of reasoning.

Unserious elements...abeg shift. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by drlateef: 5:13am On Sep 01, 2022
The clown has started again. Has he forgotten the 13-month doctors strike in his tenure? Doctors called off strike on humanitarian grounds to stop deaths by sick people. This is the man talking about ASUU strike? Hypocrisy of the highest order. Very soon everyone will see that this man is a liar.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Hollyharjii: 5:14am On Sep 01, 2022
When you want to destroy a country, the only thing you should do is just to destroy the educational system.

Year 2022 in Nigeria is for FG & ASUU whilst other countries keep commissioning laudable project that bring forth development to their nation

Nigeria I hail thee
Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by wunmi590(m): 5:16am On Sep 01, 2022

In as much as the strike is taking too long, I support ASUU and I will always support them...

How will you owe them alot of money amount to that and expect them to keep mute, they have families to feed.... majority of nairalander supporting FG will never take that.

FG can't owe any of the house rep, senator or ministers, very soon you will discovered that the recovered looted fund have been vanished into thin air...

E no go better for FG

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Nobody: 5:20am On Sep 01, 2022
omooba969:

Unserious elements...abeg shift. grin
i know one of those tinubu urchins..i will come for your head ist..

1 Like

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Moh247: 5:21am On Sep 01, 2022
cool

As a State governor you increased tuition fee from 13,000 to 230,000

Datti his vice has one of the most expensive University in Nigeria

If Buhari tries that Na wahala

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Yibo(m): 5:23am On Sep 01, 2022
Third class student in philosophy too dey feel somehow

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indefinite Strike: Peter Obi Laments Closure Of Universities by Ruggedniggaone: 5:29am On Sep 01, 2022
Hopeba:
See let me tell you guys.if next year's election is rigged in favour of APC or pdp.. we would burn this country down... iam telling you the fact.happy New month
rig or no rig obi stand no chance in next year election my only fear is that obi can hand us over to tinubu/apc government again by weaken Atiku chance in his strong hold

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta / Other Historical Events On June 12 / Girls Should Me Careful This Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.