Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,560 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? (3023 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? / Tower Of Babel- Ubang, C'river Community Where Men, Women Speak Differently. / Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by Hate191: 1:52pm On Aug 09, 2011
I do not like being the only girl, sometimes I wish I had a sister. I have two younger siblings and they are boys, my relatives treat me like the baby of the family, always giving me the type of attention that the youngest will crave for. I don't like it. I am 18 and I think I should be making my own decisions without my relatives freaking out.

I don't think I'm grown yet though. I consider a child grown if they have graduated high school and decided what to do with his/her life.

I hate when people say that women aren't "grown" until they find a husband. That isn't true. What if the husband were to leave her, is she grown then?

Even though 18 year olds still live under their parents' roof, it's not right to treat them like 8 year olds. That's not cute at all. They should be treated like 18 year olds, not 5 years olds or 27 year olds.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by Dyt(f): 2:02pm On Aug 09, 2011
Lucky u
wish i had such specials
i m d last n d only dota of 5
u shld imagine ow much respect n pamperin i cld earn yh
bt dear its nt d case
i m n wz handled lyk a man
i v d bdy of a babe bt wit d mind of a hustler
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by tpia5: 5:15pm On Aug 09, 2011
Op what are you complaining about.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by tpia5: 5:16pm On Aug 09, 2011
Try being the oldest male in a nigerian family.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by ifyalways(f): 6:37pm On Aug 09, 2011
Kpele oh OP,though I don't get your rant undecided

I'm the only daughter with male siblings.All eyez was on me,lots of prayer points and night vigils on my head and every one looking out for me.

Its normal . . .at least in African setting.You would soon be a mother,let's see how you'd handle an only daughter . . .till then,accept it and make the best out of it.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by oludashmi(f): 5:48pm On Aug 11, 2011
tpia@:

Try being the oldest male in a nigerian family.

True talk.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by Pweety4me(f): 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2011
@OP Attention or being protective?be clear, well that's a normal thing for most parents 2 do, your actually lucky dem dey give you attention some don't even give a s h*t bout their kids grown or young so just be grateful and try have a conversation with them a calm one oo & express your feelings to them also be very precise.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by lepasharon(f): 2:39am On Aug 17, 2011
Hate_191:

I do not like being the only girl, sometimes I wish I had a sister. I have two younger siblings and they are boys, my relatives treat me like the baby of the family, always giving me the type of attention that the youngest will crave for. I don't like it. I am 18 and I think I should be making my own decisions without my relatives freaking out.

I don't think I'm grown yet though. I consider a child grown if they have graduated high school and decided what to do with his/her life.

I hate when people say that women aren't "grown" until they find a husband. That isn't true. What if the husband were to leave her, is she grown then?

Even though 18 year olds still live under their parents' roof, it's not right to treat them like 8 year olds. That's not cute at all. They should be treated like 18 year olds, not 5 years olds or 27 year olds.

I feel you!
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by nsodo: 2:09pm On Aug 24, 2011
It is not over protecting you but because you're the only girl they have a feeling that may be you're bored and that is why all the attention is on you but it is better you talk to them about the way you feel about it.
Re: Why Is The Only Girl Of The Family Treated Differently? by clemcykul(f): 12:43pm On Aug 25, 2011
ure lucky to be pampered my Nigerian parents,so enjoy while it lasts lol

ur siblings would be always green with envy hahahahaha

(1) (Reply)

A Breakdown Of The Black Man's Nature? / Bini To English / V.v. Needed / Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.