Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,671 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? (12198 Views)

₦400k Monthly Job In Nigeria Or American Visa, Which Option Is Best? / Don't Bother To Go For Physical Verification If You Are Already Employed. / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Sammy07: 2:10pm On Sep 02, 2022
Hotfreeze:

A young Attorney under 30 in Chevron gets 2.5M every month.
That's your 2 years profit.

You are self employed because you no see better work.

Leave him o, no mins him.

Even business needs cash

2 Likes

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by AbuAeesha: 2:11pm On Sep 02, 2022
Machinegun91:
Yahoo boys belongs where?
yahoo boys are neither employers nor employee
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by livinbygrace: 2:13pm On Sep 02, 2022
Welkincollege:
SELF-EMPLOYED VS EMPLOYEE

From my point of view, it is better to be self-employed than to be an employee. The advantages of being self employed far outweigh the one of being an employee. Two of the key advantages of being self-employed that I cherish most are:
1. As an entrepreneur, Your business can be inherited while as an employee, your employment can not be inherited.
2. Most employee ( in private sector) are employed by the self-employed folks.

Please share your own view about this subject of discussion in the comments below:

Oboy finish with your education first,you go by yourself
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Chris2863(m): 2:14pm On Sep 02, 2022
grin grin grin
Machinegun91:
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2022
Its obvious many confuse self employed to side hustle...
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by donsheddy1(m): 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2022
TechBaron:
You've never heard of those remote workers earning up to $10,000 every month...

They're still employees.

I believe say you no like entrepreneurship pass them.

There's a type of salary that you'd be offered that would make you forget how to spell entrepreneurship.

Not saying that being self employed doesn't have it's perks though.

One man's meat, could be another man's poison.
Your point is still heading to one direction. Remote workers are self employed working on their own terms. Say something else.
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by GUNITGuy: 2:17pm On Sep 02, 2022
Hotfreeze:

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by etrange: 2:19pm On Sep 02, 2022
OP, the world is "better", not "best". You're comparing two things, so use the comparative.

Back to the question, none is better. Whichever one that makes you fulfilled or gives you what you want (time, money, prestige, etc.), go for it.
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Neitan(m): 2:19pm On Sep 02, 2022
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by GUNITGuy: 2:19pm On Sep 02, 2022
[quote author=GUNITGuy post=116287311][/quote]
Do you work in Chevron?? How do you know this things....
Don't even talk about the oil companies now .... They gradually not stable any longer .....I stay in PH and I can tell you the level of uncertainty going on there....
Stop peddling lies
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Neitan(m): 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2022
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2022
chris4gold:
Only if you know what it takes to be self employed

if only they know....

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Skillsnigeria: 2:21pm On Sep 02, 2022
Self employed is the best, I love it
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by meeketta: 2:27pm On Sep 02, 2022
TechBaron:

They're still employees.

There's a type of salary that you'd be offered that would make you forget how to spell entrepreneurship.

You should not compare remote workers to employees. Those folks are not tide down to one employer, they work for as many clients as possible but with employees, it is not so.

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by greenmouse(m): 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2022
This is one comparison that has kept many, especially in ICT industry in poverty.

Self Employment comes with great managerial skills that not everyone has, we all have our areas of strength, so is better we focus on them than compare them.

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Offpoint1: 2:31pm On Sep 02, 2022
iCauseTrouble:
Entrepreneurship is not as easy as people paint it. Any small mistake or miscalculation, your back is already on the ground and you may not be able to come back.
If you have a well paying job, stick to it and use your spare time to build your business. After the business is sustainable, you can resign from your job and build your business more.
Simple question you dey go back and forth.
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by justmi1: 2:33pm On Sep 02, 2022
TechBaron:

They're still employees.

How many of such opportunities are available compared to people seeking them. And who says business won't give more over time. Anyway not everyone would be self employed.
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Chicastle: 2:34pm On Sep 02, 2022
What type of business should someone that studies Engineering venture in to ?
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Parachoko: 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2022
BATified2023:
I have been there both as an employee n an employer
What I observe is that there are advantages to both same with disadvantages it only outweigh each other based on certain factors

If u are working for someone,there are 2 conditions attached

The pay (meagre or reasonable)
The environment (toxic or accommodating)

As an employee your pay is not sure especially in a country with no reasonable Labour law n as a self employed person if u can’t manage funds,human n d likes u will have problem with your business

As an employee non chalant attitude might worry u atimes since u know d worst is u leave but in your own biz u put your life on it….this can b seen in how government worker handle government work n how they handle their personal business

As an employee u only think about job security n how to manage your salary but as a self employed person it’s beyond that

Your risk management must b very high as a self employed person n optimization must always come to play,how u use little resources to get the best results

U put in more time n effort as a self employed person unlike being an employee

All I see is that it depends though based on your conditions,d pay,d environment,your mindset n your goals amongst other
Lovely comment
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by MartinsD12(m): 2:46pm On Sep 02, 2022
Welkincollege:

From my point of view, it is better to be self-employed than to be an employee. The advantages of being self employed far outweigh the one of being an employee. Two of the key advantages of being self-employed that I cherish most are:
1. As an entrepreneur, Your business can be inherited while as an employee, your employment can not be inherited.

Please share your own view about this subject of discussion in the comments below:
Both are good in a sane country not Nigeria, self employed and employee those working especially in civilized country of the world that value workers welfare with a conducive environment for workers you go know say work dey sweet, if you also want to be self employed the business enabling environment is there the government support people like that to make sure their businesses strive because they know business owners are employers of labour not in Nigeria where lecturers are always going on strike every year because government no gree pay salary self , Nigerian workers are suffering infact business owner's in Nigeria is suffering, everything in Nigeria na suffering except those politicians who are looting our money up and down e no go better for them for making this country hell for us .
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 02, 2022
BATified2023:
I have been there both as an employee n an employer
What I observe is that there are advantages to both same with disadvantages it only outweigh each other based on certain factors

If u are working for someone,there are 2 conditions attached

The pay (meagre or reasonable)
The environment (toxic or accommodating)

As an employee your pay is not sure especially in a country with no reasonable Labour law n as a self employed person if u can’t manage funds,human n d likes u will have problem with your business

As an employee non chalant attitude might worry u atimes since u know d worst is u leave but in your own biz u put your life on it….this can b seen in how government worker handle government work n how they handle their personal business

As an employee u only think about job security n how to manage your salary but as a self employed person it’s beyond that

Your risk management must b very high as a self employed person n optimization must always come to play,how u use little resources to get the best results

U put in more time n effort as a self employed person unlike being an employee

All I see is that it depends though based on your conditions,d pay,d environment,your mindset n your goals amongst other

You are right

Self employed takes time for money to be rolling in, u can set up a business, it takes time,months b4 customers staft patronizing you and years for it to grow,but once e don grow,e don grow be that and if u a employee, u can grow in level and earn more

Just the two be say

Self employed: money coming in is not fixed

2..job security is guaranteed
3.. rest and ability to go to work anytime you want

Employees: salary is fixed

2 job security may or may not be guaranteed

3.. you go to work when and what time you are given... except na u be boss or manager or director or at the hem of the affairs

My 2cent

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by tctrills: 2:50pm On Sep 02, 2022
Welkincollege:

How foolish questions like these gets to front page amazes me.
The mods of Nairaland are very low quality.
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by samwash(m): 2:55pm On Sep 02, 2022
Salary job pass salary job, in some exceptional cases.
Some pple salary, Monthly Net, not to talk of others things attached to it, some self employed cant mk it as profits in a calendar year.
Am talk about Home & Aboard, not only in Nigeria scenario.

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Iamyemmie: 2:55pm On Sep 02, 2022
Self employed if you get backbone
If your only source of income is your business
You go hear weeeeen

That’s why it is advisable to do both
Be employed and still have a business
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by pocohantas(f): 3:03pm On Sep 02, 2022
TechBaron:

They're still employees.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by OhiOfIhima: 3:04pm On Sep 02, 2022
iCauseTrouble:
Entrepreneurship is not as easy as people paint it. Any small mistake or miscalculation, your back is already on the ground and you may not be able to come back.
If you have a well paying job, stick to it and use your spare time to build your business. After the business is sustainable, you can resign from your job and build your business more.

You have the most valid point... That's just the simple analysis
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by seanwilliam(m): 3:11pm On Sep 02, 2022
Hotfreeze:

if you’re in the right business, you can hit that 2.5m in two weeks, so it depends abeg. U no know wetin u no know
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by lailo: 3:15pm On Sep 02, 2022
Even self employ no dey pay these days. My workers enjoy more than me grin
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by seanwilliam(m): 3:15pm On Sep 02, 2022
To me it’s self employed.

1. I have control over my time
2. I can reward myself as much as I want
3. My potential has no limit
4. I have full control over my life
5. I can also employ others which means I’m reducing unemployment in the society
6. I take decision without external interference
7. My effort and sacrifice will show
8. I can make it bigger than when I’m working for someone
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by AvatarMode(m): 3:16pm On Sep 02, 2022
Machinegun91:
Self employed. Them be entrepreneurs jare...
Re: Self-employed Vs Employee, Which Is Best? by Kobicove(m): 3:17pm On Sep 02, 2022
IyaTola:
Don't be competing with someone you should be learning from"

I have never liked competition.

Every time I compete, I feel pressured and disconnected from others.

I love harmony, peace, collaboration, and win-win situations, kind of like “me happy, you happy.”

I don’t need to watch another person lose the game to feel good about myself.

I don’t need to dominate or put someone else down in order to feel superior and worthy.

In Nigeria, competing is perceived as a sign of ambition, power, and strength.

Most of us grew up hearing constant comparisons, which turned into a habit during our adult lives:

“Do I look better than her? I want to be slimmer.”

“How much is he earning? I want more.”

“Where does she live? I want a house at least that size in Lekki.”

Which car does she/he drives? I want an expensive car

And so on…

Teachers were always making comparisons between students, parents would compare their children to their friends’ or neighbors’ kids, and no one truly encouraged individual talents.

Competitions are almost always win-lose situations.

People who don’t want competition in their lives tend to believe in win-win scenarios.

Instead of looking for ways they can outsmart their opponent, they search for methods to team up with them and overcome whatever obstacle that they face together instead of apart.

By doing that, they double the chance for success

So here what I’ve learned: Everyone is on their own path, and we all do what’s right for ourselves, in our own time.

I believe we live in a supportive Universe where everything unfolds perfectly—at the right time, in the right place.

Comparing ourselves to others is an infinite source of stress and frustration, and it doesn’t serve us well.

I have helped a lot of people to become a Trainer and Data Analyst.

I have given a lot of training and job opportunities to other people too

I believe the world needs fewer fighters and competitors.

The world needs more givers, peacemakers, and soul nurturers, and it also needs more compassion.

IyaTola how does this relate to the topic under discussion? grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Is The Best Time To Look For Job In Nigeria? / Only God Can Give U A Job! The Notore Chemical Industries Example: / What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.