Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan (10596 Views)

Coronavirus: FG Seeks National Assembly’s Approval For N500bn Intervention Fund / FG Seeks Senate Permission To Pay Kogi State N10.69 Billion / National Action Plan For Health Security For 2018 To 2022 Inaugurated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Itopalucky(m): 9:11pm On Sep 02, 2022
The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development has launched the National Action Plan to end Statelessness in Nigeria.

The Ministry, in collaboration with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Ministry of Interior and other stakeholders also inaugurated a high level Steering Committee to oversee the implementation of the National Action Plan.

At the launch held in Abuja on Friday, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development Sadiya Umar Farouq said that the National Action Plan will provide a framework for the prevention and eradication of statelessness as well as identify and protect stateless persons.

“A person can become stateless as a result of a myriad of reasons including lack of birth registrations, discrimination against minority groups on the basis of ethnicity, gender or religion, gaps in nationality laws and transfers of territory between existing States which can exclude people and make them at risk of statelessness. Persons who are at risk of statelessness include refugees, migrants, children whose births were not registered, normadic pastoralists and populations affected by border changes.

“The National Action Plan is designed to resolve existing situations of statelessness, prevent new cases of statelessness from emerging and protect stateless persons in Nigeria, in line with the global best practices in the eradication of statelessness highlighted in this paper.

“Realizing the devastating impact of statelessness and the importance of addressing it to ensure protection and fulfillment of human rights of stateless persons, the UN General Assembly by a resolution, mandated the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to lead global efforts to end Statelessness by supporting States in the identification, prevention, reduction and protection of stateless persons with the overall view of preventing and ending statelessness.

On this premise the UNHCR launched the ‘I Belong’ campaign’ and in consultation with States, developed the UNHCR Global Action Plan (Global Action Plan) to end Statelessness, which serves as a global road map for States to help end statelessness,” the Humanitarian Minister said.

Ten Member States, including Burkina Faso, Gambia, Benin Republic, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Togo and Nigeria have so far put in place National Action Plans to end statelessness.

In attendance was the Minister, Federal Ministry of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, Minister, Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen, Country Representative UNHCR, Chansa Kapaya, the Representative of the Permanent Secretary (FMHADMSD), Director Humanitarian Affairs, Grema Ali Alhaji, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Dr. Shuaib M. L Belgore and other dignitaries.
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/fg-launches-action-plan-to-abolish-statelessness-2/

1 Like

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 02, 2022
Okay

1 Like

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by hbk001(m): 4:56am On Sep 03, 2022
Focus on more pressing agendas and not all these rubbish gathering.
Even someone who has got a state attached to or have a sense of belonging to a state, what efforts has this government given to better his/her life

No problem, how many months remains before all these charades comes to an end? NEVER AGAIN, ApShiits.

A new Dawn is coming, Peter Obi is the man!!!

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Oduduwa707: 4:57am On Sep 03, 2022
Rubbish! What does this even mean if not another scheme to embezzle public funds as usual?

You go soon hear say dem spend N800 Billion towards it. angry

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by happney65: 4:57am On Sep 03, 2022
All of us are currently statelessness. Ki e ko iranu yin da nu.

Rubbish

6 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Iagos: 4:57am On Sep 03, 2022
Which one is statelessness? Tell them to come to my lagos. It is no man's land grin

7 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by ekukeku(m): 4:58am On Sep 03, 2022
D Lord is una strength

2 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by overall90: 4:58am On Sep 03, 2022
Another Ruga in disguise.
Look at all the countries listed shocked
This people will not rest until this country is totally fulanized.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by MrMcJay(m): 4:58am On Sep 03, 2022
Does it now mean that a fulani pastoralist who waltzed into Nigeria from Mali, Mauritania or anywhere else without valid travel documents and is grazing his cows in Kogi or Ondo will now be granted citizenship simply because he claims to be stateless?

The ones in the forests will now claim to be indigenes of those states where they are and then they will give them a local government there. From there, they will get State House of Assembly seats and will start dragging land with the landowners.

That is how the crisis in Jos North started. They want to replicate the nonsense on a national scale.

No wonder Buhari said "only God can police the borders" when he was asked about the porous borders of the North. Meanwhile, the Southern borders were fully locked. This was their plan. Flood the country with fulanis and grant them citizenship all across the country.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by NotBeenPaid: 4:59am On Sep 03, 2022

Niger Republic and Chad border is open.

3 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by nams77: 4:59am On Sep 03, 2022
Another plan to reintegrate some strangers) foreigners into the country.
We know Una handwork

15 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by bro4u: 5:00am On Sep 03, 2022
fortedone:
FIVE Reasons why I will NEVER vote Peter Obi in 2023

1. I am a Yoruba man. I will rather vote a Yoruba man than an Igbo man.

Except that I lived along Lagos-Abeokuta expressway when Obasanjo was president, and he lived in Ota, along the same road, and it was amongst the worst in the country despite my neighbor being president

And the road remains so till today despite Lagos/FG alignment, which was the reason given then. Tribal politics has never benefited any tribe in Nigeria. The north remains the poorest despite having the most presidents, Bayelsa remains poor with development issues despite GEJ.

2. Tinubu fixed Lagos. Increased IGR

Infact Tinubu paid for my WAEC in 2002. I thank him for that. I thank him. But there is more to my son’s future than Lagos’ revenue and WAEC. Lagos is not fixed, it is infact an epitome of Nigeria’s political corruption, underdevelopment and vested interest-driven rot - in transport system through NURTW, in corruption by public officers, wasteful spending, collapse of infrastructure and delays of infrastructural projects despite huge revenue potential, high handedness of security officials, etc.

I do not believe Tinubu will cause a paradigm shift in governance in Nigeria, because clearly, governance in Lagos has even come to represent the very worst of Nigerian governance - cronyism, favoritism, extortion, bribery, violence, rigging, crude godfatherism, profligacy, etc

So where will a man who has enabled this for over 20yrs suddenly get the change we need from? The contest is not between Tinubu as governor vs Peter Obi as governor. It is between Tinubu as a political shark and enabler of profligate governance vs. Reform-minded minimalism of PO

3. Peter Obi is IPOB. Atiku will unify Nigeria.

Except that Atiku has NEVER called out herdsmen attack on other tribes because of his cultural linkage, never called out banditry will his full chest, never called out religious killings in the north - infact deleted a tweet on his behalf condemning the killing of Deborah. Never condemned terrorism-linked Minister Pantami, and shown consistently that he is a closet Buharist waiting to launch his tribal &religious bias once he reaches Aso rock. But its Obi who has repeatedly denied IPOB that is the problem

4. Peter Obi cannot win. Labour Party has no structure

Many of us have since agreed that real structural change in Nigeria cannot come from the two dominant parties - the only way to achieve this is for a people-backed candidate to win. This is the closest we have being to this.

Else, others will be more sympathetic to their badly corrupt political structures. Tinubu and Atiku are amongst the biggest gladiators of that corrupt political structure. LP and Obi have built a momentum that is reverberating across the world. It can happen and it is happening.

5. Peter Obi’s supporters are toxic and abusive. I can never align with such bullies.

Well, all thanks to Buharists who introduced this approach in 2015, and to be fair, it worked for ousting GEJ and built momentum for Buhari globally.

That GMB ended up a complete calamity isn’t because of that support, but because he was never a good candidate. Peter Obi is by all parameters better than Buhari. The anger is even more justified now because the rot has further deepened. Nigerians are dying like chickens.

You can’t expect a dying man to be smiling at you for supporting his killers. APC ruined Nigeria in the past 7.5years. Tinubu endorsed the ruin and his boys benefitted from it. If that same level of venom is required to achieve the 2015 effect, then sorry, but I’m not sorry.

"These are the reasons why I won’t vote Peter Obi". I won’t vote him alone. I will vote him with my family, friends and all associates I can rally.

Lovers of bad governance a.k.a Urchins read the first line with joy only to realize they got fooled after reading the whole post

#Copied
Mumu confusing yourself

4 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by searchng4love: 5:01am On Sep 03, 2022
I can see Ghana avoided this nonsense plan. Great

11 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Christistruth00: 5:01am On Sep 03, 2022
This doesn’t mean foreign killer Herdsmen and Bandits that Baba Buhari promised to get rid of will now be Registered as Nigerians does it ?

42 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by RighteousDemon: 5:02am On Sep 03, 2022
A legal way of bringing in the Malians, Nigeriens, Chadians et al... We already know the fulani agenda

11 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by YorubaYouth: 5:03am On Sep 03, 2022
Ok
Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Awesometouch1: 5:04am On Sep 03, 2022
MrMcJay:
Does it now mean that a fulani pastoralist who waltzed into Nigeria from Mali, Mauritania or anywhere else without valid travel documents and is grazing his cows in Kogi or Ondo will now be granted citizenship simply because he claims to be stateless?
You can see far bro. You understand their plans.

7 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by englishmart(m): 5:04am On Sep 03, 2022
Those itinerant fulanis should rear their cattle in their villages. Carole is not a national asset, and you gets don't contribute to the national revenue in any way.

2 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Viraltrends123: 5:06am On Sep 03, 2022
A
Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by seunmind44: 5:06am On Sep 03, 2022
Na wa o, so some people dey for Nigeria wey no belong to any state? It is unbelifable
Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by tempest01(m): 5:06am On Sep 03, 2022
This particular agency must come up with different things to balance the account before next year.

2 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Godstiger(m): 5:07am On Sep 03, 2022
They have come again, How about nationlessness..

3 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Awesometouch1: 5:07am On Sep 03, 2022
nams77:
Another plan to reintegrate some strangers) foreigners into the country.
We know Una handwork
Spot on. It's the plan to give Fulani migrants states.
They first brought up all kinds of immigration visas numbering over 70 and now they are looking for how to make them indigenous.

4 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Datedoboy: 5:08am On Sep 03, 2022
Homelessness and poverty is far worse than statelessness. Many empty apartments in the cities yet people sleep under bridges.

Also, many youths are idle. Instead of reducing poverty or idleness, they are talking of statelessness.

If nobody is stateless, will it improve the lives of people? We need good policies not policies that doesn't improve people

3 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by Awesometouch1: 5:09am On Sep 03, 2022
Christistruth00:

This doesn’t mean foreign killer Herdsmen and Bandits that Baba Buhari promised to get rid of will now be Registered as Nigerians does it ?
That's exactly what they are up to.
Buhari is like a curse on this country.

3 Likes

Re: FG Seeks End To Statelessness, Launches National Action Plan by joyandfaith: 5:11am On Sep 03, 2022
Itopalucky:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/fg-launches-action-plan-to-abolish-statelessness-2/

Fulanisation agenda. They want to make nomadic fulani indigenes of southern and north central states. In the year 2095, indigenes would become minority in some places. Kaduna, jos north are examples. Russia did it in Ukraine- donbass and crimea.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Presidency: Group Urges Accord Party's Prof. Imumolen To Step Down For Tinubu / Meet The New Chief Of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Emmanuel Ikechukwu Ogalla / Which State Is Least Known In Nigeria? Jigawa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.