Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU (1140 Views)

We Will Go After Holders Of Certificates From Degree Mills – Education Minister / FG Slams ASUU For Using UTAS As Condition For Ending Strike. / Students Won’t Write 2020 WAEC – Adamu, Education Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Kuginzi: 8:48am On Sep 03, 2022
By John Akinfehinwa

The Minister of State for Education, Goodluck Nanah Opiah has slammed the Academic Staff Union University, (ASUU) over the lingering impasse between the union and the Federal Government.

The minister who spoke when he visited the Federal University Lokoja, (FUL), Kogi State on Friday said, ‘the no work no pay policy’ stands.

He said the federal government cannot pay lecturers for what they did not work for, adding that, the strike has continued to portray a bad image for the country and has succeeded in causing pain for parents and students.

He claimed the federal government has done much on infrastructural development in all higher institutions across the country, charging the Vice-Chancellor of FUL, Prof. Olayemi Akinwumi to appeal to lecturers to come back to work.

He added that the prolonged stay at home has done more harm than good to the future of Nigerian students.

His words “The federal government led by President Muhammadu Buhari has done so much, especially, in infrastructural development in our tertiary institution, because anywhere you go, you will see the presence of TETFUND, buildings, vehicles and all manners of institutional assets.

“Those who think that lack of infrastructure is one of the reasons they went on strike should think again. Mr Vice Chancellor, let me use this opportunity to appeal to you, to also appeal to our lecturers to come back to work because our children are suffering.

“Our country’s image is going lower. Our parents are not happy, and these lecturers are also parents of some of our students. Contrary to what they think, some of us also have our children in Nigerian Universities and they are also suffering.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/09/03/only-thieves-demand-money-they-didnt-work-for-education-minister-opiah-slams-ASUU/

3 Likes

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Ivimmanuel: 9:11am On Sep 03, 2022
Federal government has really done a lot in terms of infrastructure in Nigeria tertiary institutions through tetfund. If you go to most tertiary institutions, except the trees every other thing bears tetfund tag from furniture, building and vehicles. Maybe their salaries should be payed through tetfund too.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by funshint(m): 9:36am On Sep 03, 2022
Buhari is not passionate about education that's why he doesn't really care. May God intervene in all this.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by edogu(m): 10:15am On Sep 03, 2022
Ivimmanuel:
Federal government has really done a lot in terms of infrastructure in Nigeria tertiary institutions through tetfund. If you go to most tertiary institutions, except the trees every other thing bears tetfund tag from furniture, building and vehicles. Maybe their salaries should be payed through tetfund too.
Tetfund was due to ASUU's agitation.

4 Likes

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Emmamay10: 10:23am On Sep 03, 2022
Agonies shall befall all enemies of Education in Nigeria.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by BlackMan6969(m): 11:06am On Sep 03, 2022
Pot dey call Kettle black
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by UrProguy: 11:42am On Sep 03, 2022
ASUU and majority of Nigerian lecturers are cr. iminals except very few of them. If I were FG, I will order that any lecturer that fail to be in school before 15th of this month should kiss goodbye to his or her job. Even fathers disown their erring offsprings not to talk of this, how can they pay you for work you did not do, are you a thief?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by emorse(m): 11:48am On Sep 03, 2022
ASUU = EVIL
FG = DEMONIC.

E NO GO BETTER FOR ALL ENEMIES OF NIGERIA!

1 Like

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 12:06pm On Sep 03, 2022
Even killers become repentant and are inline for amnesty. Did ASUU kill anyone?
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 12:08pm On Sep 03, 2022
emorse:
ASUU = EVIL
FG = DEMONIC.

E NO GO BETTER FOR ALL ENEMIES OF NIGERIA!
Everybody has to put self ahead of the whole group in a case like this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 12:09pm On Sep 03, 2022
edogu:

Tetfund was due to ASUU's agitation.

Why didn't ASUU pay themselves?

1 Like

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 12:10pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
Even killers become repentant and are inline for amnesty. Did ASUU kill anyone?

They killed the future of many.

1 Like

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 12:18pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

that's is debatable but in my opinion not comparable to terrorists being pampered. Pay them and let them resume.
Will a researcher in the process of observing a plant grow or some process that cannot be easily stopped leave that process alone because of strike. What aboutghe knew knowledge being acquired? Those are part of their productive output yet FG wants to fight them unnecessarily.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 12:23pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
that's is debatable but in my opinion not comparable to terrorists being pampered. Pay them and let them resume.
Will a researcher in the process of observing a plant grow or some process that cannot be easily stopped leave that process alone because of strike. What aboutghe knew knowledge being acquired? Those are part of their productive output yet FG wants to fight them unnecessarily.

Pay them for not working?

Maybe they get half-pay as they said - it's all a sacrifice.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 12:30pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

in the spirit of fairness, half pay should be considered for half work or to put another way, partial work, partial pay.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 12:31pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
in the spirit of fairness, half pay should be considered for half work or to put another way, partial work, partial pay.

No work no pay then.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 12:36pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

No work no pay then.
what about research work that's on going. What about knowledge acquired? That's not no-work to me.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 12:38pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
what about research work that's on going. What about knowledge acquired? That's not no-work to me.

Research for who?

The university?

The students?

I thought lecturers were on strike.

1 Like

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Ebubu: 12:45pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
All researches have been paused since strike commenced.

Unless personal and private research of any individual lecturer.

Not logical that students waste 7 months plus, but the lecturers lose nothing.

If lecturers ask what FG loses, let them wait and see Nigerians react in elections.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2022
Ebubu:
All researches have been paused since strike commenced.

Unless personal and private research of any individual lecturer.

Not logical that students waste 7 months plus, but the lecturers lose nothing.

If lecturers ask what FG loses, let them wait and see Nigerians react in elections.
In that case break their pay down to different aspects of their overall work then pay them accordingly. Isn't that part of what the FG should be pushing for if they have brain cells at all?
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 1:01pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

Research for who?

The university?

The students?

I thought lecturers were on strike.
don't tell me a researcher observing a process like plant growth for example will leave that process and attempt starting again.
Will a political scientist stop keeping abreast with current affairs because of strike? I doubt.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Ebubu: 1:03pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
In that case break their pay down to different aspects of their overall work then pay them accordingly. Isn't that part of what the FG should be pushing for if they have brain cells at all?
there is no breaking down since they’ve been away from work for 7 months.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 1:04pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
don't tell me a researcher observing a process like plant growth for example will leave that process and attempt starting again.
Will a political scientist stop keeping abreast with current affairs because of strike? I doubt.

So the only person they want to hurt is the student?

No pay in that case.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by RepoMan007: 1:05pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

So the only person they want to hurt is the student?

No pay in that case.
more hurt for the students in the meantime.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by jmaine: 1:06pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

You are still this empty after all these years.. 8 years is a long time to gain sense oo...
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 1:11pm On Sep 03, 2022
RepoMan007:
more hurt for the students in the meantime.

I see they are being held for ransom.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Dreamoftheendle: 1:12pm On Sep 03, 2022
ASUU should learn the meaning of compromise
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by IamDietiesGod: 1:32pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

I had to log in to comment because of this: I like, as a matter of fact, I love this your submission. This is an healthy response.

ASUN (Spelling and emphasis intended) will never admit that they took the major part in grilling many destiny on the berbeque.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Nigerianization(m): 2:13pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

ASUU should show commitment and accept half Salary. So that next time, we will know who is truly sacrificing what when they call for another strike. If after every strike, they are paid in full, while the students do not recover the lost time, then they are hypocrites

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by edogu(m): 4:49pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

Pay themselves? How? Are they the employer? I'm trying to let you know that without the agitation there won't be fund to cater for the education sector.
Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by rusher14: 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2022
edogu:

Pay themselves? How? Are they the employer? I'm trying to let you know that without the agitation there won't be fund to cater for the education sector.

When government pays we say ASUU were the brains behind it.

When it fails government is the cause.

Can ASUU ever be wrong?

1 Like

Re: Only Thieves Demand Money They Didn’t Work For – Education Minister, Slams ASUU by Softmirror: 4:57pm On Sep 03, 2022
rusher14:

PERFECT QUESTION!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Education-my Concern / ASUU Strike: National Association Of Nigerian Students NANS / Abu Post Ume Examination Is Coming Up On The 7th September 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.