Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? (36570 Views)

My Fiancé Just Lost His Job / Uninvited Lady Shows Up For Dana Airline Interview And Gets Job. See Pictures / Bf Proposed To Me Yesterday And Lost His Job Today... Pls Help Me/us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Threesha(f): 6:35pm On Sep 03, 2022
An accountant lost his job the other day.

Here is what happened:

The Head of Operations walked in and asked the accountant to transfer a large payment to a vendor immediately.

He highlighted that it was critical that the transfer take place urgently or the company would lose a deal.

The HoO further said that the MD/CEO was aware of the transaction and that she would be devastated if the company lost the sale because of untimely payment.

So, on the instruction of the Head of Operations, our young accountant initiated the payment.

It was eventually discovered that there was a major issue with that supplier since they did not deliver the products. An internal review revealed that there were major reservations about working with that supplier. Indeed, the MD was taken aback about why the payment was made to such a problematic supplier.

The accountant was summoned to explain why he processed the payment and said it was per the HoO's instructions. The HoO strongly responded that he had never given such an order.

The accountant was sacked on the spot for negligence because there was no documentary evidence that he followed the HoO's directions.

While many things could have been managed better with adequate processes and controls in place, that is not the point of the story.

Yes, our accountant was a victim of unfortunate circumstances, but when you understand the type of atmosphere you operate in, you must take extra precautions to protect yourself.

1. Always require written or other recorded evidence for all transactions.

2. Verify whatever information you are provided to act on. Even if it comes from the MDs themselves. "Trust but verify." It is difficult to verify without documentation.

3. Finally, impose a system in which "nothing is urgent." There must be some processing time involved. That is the time when you calmly go over all the pertinent information and documents linked to what is on your desk. People use "urgent" and chaotic situations to commit all sorts of folly.

The above may be difficult to implement, especially in weak-control environments (read: one-man businesses), but they are necessary for your peace of mind.

Who can say? You could be the catalyst for change.

290 Likes 29 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by lavylilly: 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2022
Let's remember that a company where an accountant could be fired on the spot is a one-man company, therefore all these verify stuff may not work. If the accountant had delayed the payment, leading to loss of a major customer, he would still have lost his job. In such an organization, the one-man is the ultimate decider in every transaction, therefore the only real control that works there is confirm from him in all situations, even if by telephone call.

I have worked in one such company before in which the CEO expected instant adherence to his oral instructions, though he would authorise the transaction post-implementation. If the accountant insists on a written or verifiable authorisation before implementation, he would be fired on the spot

315 Likes 28 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Baronthecelebri: 8:56am On Sep 04, 2022
The accountant should arrange boys and pay the man visit

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 04, 2022
lavylilly:
Let's remember that a company where an accountant could be fired on the spot is a one-man company, therefore all these verify stuff may not work. If the accountant had delayed the payment, leading to loss of a major customer, he would still have lost his job. In such an organization, the one-man is the ultimate decider in every transaction, therefore the only real control that works there is confirm from him in all situations, even if by telephone call.

I have worked in one such company before in which the CEO expected instant adherence to his oral instructions, though he would authorise the transaction post-implementation. If the accountant insists on a written or verifiable authorisation before implementation, he would be fired on the spot

Double wahala for dead body. You summed it up.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by lavylilly: 11:28am On Sep 04, 2022
wink
Shoodboi:

Double wahala for dead body. You summed it up.

2 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by westlius(m): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2022
Officially work isnt done by voice alone but via documents either by mail/WhatsApp msg or text msg.
That's where the Accountant missed it.
It means he acted without instructions

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Threesha(f): 8:50am On Sep 05, 2022
Baronthecelebri:
The accountant should arrange boys and pay the man visit
on what grounds?

4 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Threesha(f): 11:52am On Sep 07, 2022
shocked
westlius:
Officially work isnt done by voice alone but via documents either by mail/WhatsApp msg or text msg.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Streett: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2022
That Accountant should make a short trip to his/her village asap on behalf of that dirty shady-ass HO

20 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by FalseProphet1(m): 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2022
I see that company folding up before the end of this year.

This I have seen.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by mactoni91(m): 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2022
Any careless instruction from my superiors should be directed to me via mail(documented)...

I could remember when i was still working fir one XYZ organisation. The maintenance department sent a vendor to come fix somethings.

Obviously, the vendor overly inflated the job price.

When the time for me issue a job completion form to the vendor, i refused signing for the inflated price.

Na so vendor call our Maintenance Dept for HQ.

Some guys from our Maintenance department started calling me via phone to sign.

I told them to send me a mail instructing me to sign for the inflated price. ( They stopped calling)

Last Last the vendor renegotiated and 30% was what we paid.

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by justdogitto: 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2022
In an official environment, the first thing you will learn is to trust no one and secondly,always have a written document duly signed or a mail trail duly approved before taking certain decisions...Else you are on your own...

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by uncleck: 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2022
Job in one man business is as good as being jobless. But the accountant has learnt an invaluable lesson that will help him for live

16 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by sofeo(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2022
Might be the accountant's first time working in such environment.

That's where experience matters at times.

13 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by WhizdomXX(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2022
Thank you.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by psalmskiddy(m): 3:36pm On Sep 07, 2022
This is serious grin
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by wunmi590(m): 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2022
cool

Great pieces, why I don't joke with communication when it comes to approval....

I work in a one man business, but my boss we communicate mostly via WhatsApp, once she said approved that when you see me doing it....

Even if that thing is urgent, you wont even see me there self....

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by willi926(m): 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2022
Na the accountant Bleep up.

5 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Pells: 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2022
Story that touch
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by rajiedreez: 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2022
Sorry
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by robosky02(m): 3:38pm On Sep 07, 2022
Ok
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by oluwaseyi0: 3:38pm On Sep 07, 2022
One man business - the most shitty workplace

A tenant of my uncle was fired because he requested the owner/MD of his company should send a mail for authorization of transaction/payment above 5million

Oga said is he (tenant) the one that will teach him how to run his business

Life really dealth with that guy after loosing his job

31 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by mystery22: 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
This story seems somehow,did the hof really tell him that.if so he is naive cos even in a small company signatures are needed for such

3 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by paulolee(m): 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
K
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by camsyross: 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
The reason why I can't work for anyone... Too many crazy people everywhere.. I repeat I can't work for anyone. I better hustle and be a Female boss of my own.. God bless all the legit hustlers out there..

14 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Announced3: 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
Honestly, I think there should be a written document for approval

7 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by tillaman(m): 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
It’s all part of life sha make i no talk Wetin dey mind

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Starz825(m): 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
Good office ethics
Very good one for those in the office

Wait....Op, I hope your hubby don dey do normal naw?

Because you be dey complain before say he no dey touch you well grin

2 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by YourMaleCrush: 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
Oops!
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by bid4rich(m): 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2022
westlius:

Nope. he acted with undocumented instructions

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by federalgodey: 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2022
One of the features of an accountant is scrutiny, but in these case he has shown incompetent.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apply For Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) Recruitment 2019 / 7 Great Jobs You Can Easily Do From Home And Get Paid / FAAN Recruitment!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.