Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? (36585 Views)

My Fiancé Just Lost His Job / Uninvited Lady Shows Up For Dana Airline Interview And Gets Job. See Pictures / Bf Proposed To Me Yesterday And Lost His Job Today... Pls Help Me/us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Jaaqofalltrade(m): 6:10pm On Sep 07, 2022
Doing the right thing is always important. The accountant messed up big time. I doubt they would have sacked him for doing the right thing. Even if it happened that way, he would have held his head up high and even use such evidence to get another job fast.

My 2cent

lavylilly:
Let's remember that a company where an accountant could be fired on the spot is a one-man company, therefore all these verify stuff may not work. If the accountant had delayed the payment, leading to loss of a major customer, he would still have lost his job. In such an organization, the one-man is the ultimate decider in every transaction, therefore the only real control that works there is confirm from him in all situations, even if by telephone call.

I have worked in one such company before in which the CEO expected instant adherence to his oral instructions, though he would authorise the transaction post-implementation. If the accountant insists on a written or verifiable authorisation before implementation, he would be fired on the spot

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by oluwatobi954(m): 6:40pm On Sep 07, 2022
This is bound to happen in any organization without structural organization. You never did wrong my accountant Heaven will grant you another opportunity speedily.

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Makowonda: 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2022
In whatever I do I never underestimate the "power of pen and paper"(PPP).Without it you can lose a case in court no matter how right and innocent you are.Without it you can lost your property which you genuinely and legally bought to a fraudster or an outrightly devious person.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by GALATICOS3015(m): 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2022
Nice precaution tips. .
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by KillamanJoe: 7:29pm On Sep 07, 2022
It's an unfortunate incident. I plead with everyone to learn from this. Because the MD should know that there is no way the accountant will make that transfer without someone giving the go ahead. Always ask for confirmation, something similar almost happened to me in my former work place but I thank God for my xiaomi mi 6. I recorded the phone call and played for my boss. Then. He still blamed me but at least I had proof.

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Oizee(f): 7:52pm On Sep 07, 2022
KillamanJoe:
It's an unfortunate incident. I plead with everyone to learn from this. Because the MD should know that there is no way the accountant will make that transfer without someone giving the go ahead. Always ask for confirmation, something similar almost happened to me in my former work place but I thank God for my xiaomi mi 6. I recorded the phone call and played for my boss. Then. He still blamed me but at least I had proof.
what I do not understand is how this kind of organization run their business, if accountant initiate payment, who approved it before disbursement?

This is not a buy and sell groudnut kind of business, where the owner will just give a verbal instructions to sales girl to pay some random supplier of groudnut when they come around now.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by newoffer: 7:53pm On Sep 07, 2022
Hahahahaha. Sound like the Banana Billionaire
lavylilly:
Let's remember that a company where an accountant could be fired on the spot is a one-man company, therefore all these verify stuff may not work. If the accountant had delayed the payment, leading to loss of a major customer, he would still have lost his job. In such an organization, the one-man is the ultimate decider in every transaction, therefore the only real control that works there is confirm from him in all situations, even if by telephone call.

I have worked in one such company before in which the CEO expected instant adherence to his oral instructions, though he would authorise the transaction post-implementation. If the accountant insists on a written or verifiable authorisation before implementation, he would be fired on the spot
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Oduduwa707: 8:07pm On Sep 07, 2022
Threesha:
An accountant lost his job the other day.

Here is what happened:

The Head of Operations walked in and asked the accountant to transfer a large payment to a vendor immediately.

He highlighted that it was critical that the transfer take place urgently or the company would lose a deal.

The HoO further said that the MD/CEO was aware of the transaction and that she would be devastated if the company lost the sale because of untimely payment.

So, on the instruction of the Head of Operations, our young accountant initiated the payment.

It was eventually discovered that there was a major issue with that supplier since they did not deliver the products. An internal review revealed that there were major reservations about working with that supplier. Indeed, the MD was taken aback about why the payment was made to such a problematic supplier.

The accountant was summoned to explain why he processed the payment and said it was per the HoO's instructions. The HoO strongly responded that he had never given such an order.

The accountant was sacked on the spot for negligence because there was no documentary evidence that he followed the HoO's directions.

While many things could have been managed better with adequate processes and controls in place, that is not the point of the story.

Yes, our accountant was a victim of unfortunate circumstances, but when you understand the type of atmosphere you operate in, you must take extra precautions to protect yourself.

1. Always require written or other recorded evidence for all transactions.

2. Verify whatever information you are provided to act on. Even if it comes from the MDs themselves. "Trust but verify." It is difficult to verify without documentation.

3. Finally, impose a system in which "nothing is urgent." There must be some processing time involved. That is the time when you calmly go over all the pertinent information and documents linked to what is on your desk. People use "urgent" and chaotic situations to commit all sorts of folly.

The above may be difficult to implement, especially in weak-control environments (read: one-man businesses), but they are necessary for your peace of mind.

Who can say? You could be the catalyst for change.

OP, you got this piece from Linkedin without even bothering to site the source. This is pure fraud as susceptible to most Nigerians. You stole someone else's intellectual property without their consent or at least crediting them. You're indeed very MADDD! angry

The writer is a very good friend of mine as we attended college ~20 years ago. Threesha, you're a thief!

1 Share

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by ayolomo1234: 8:47pm On Sep 07, 2022
Yes, the MD did the normal thing. The Accountant will learn the hard way. irrespective of where the order is coming from, a written document or a mail from the Superior would have saved him
Threesha:
An accountant lost his job the other day.

Here is what happened:

The Head of Operations walked in and asked the accountant to transfer a large payment to a vendor immediately.

He highlighted that it was critical that the transfer take place urgently or the company would lose a deal.

The HoO further said that the MD/CEO was aware of the transaction and that she would be devastated if the company lost the sale because of untimely payment.

So, on the instruction of the Head of Operations, our young accountant initiated the payment.

It was eventually discovered that there was a major issue with that supplier since they did not deliver the products. An internal review revealed that there were major reservations about working with that supplier. Indeed, the MD was taken aback about why the payment was made to such a problematic supplier.

The accountant was summoned to explain why he processed the payment and said it was per the HoO's instructions. The HoO strongly responded that he had never given such an order.

The accountant was sacked on the spot for negligence because there was no documentary evidence that he followed the HoO's directions.

While many things could have been managed better with adequate processes and controls in place, that is not the point of the story.

Yes, our accountant was a victim of unfortunate circumstances, but when you understand the type of atmosphere you operate in, you must take extra precautions to protect yourself.

1. Always require written or other recorded evidence for all transactions.

2. Verify whatever information you are provided to act on. Even if it comes from the MDs themselves. "Trust but verify." It is difficult to verify without documentation.

3. Finally, impose a system in which "nothing is urgent." There must be some processing time involved. That is the time when you calmly go over all the pertinent information and documents linked to what is on your desk. People use "urgent" and chaotic situations to commit all sorts of folly.

The above may be difficult to implement, especially in weak-control environments (read: one-man businesses), but they are necessary for your peace of mind.

Who can say? You could be the catalyst for change.

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by aalangel(f): 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2022
You reap what you sow.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by solid3(m): 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2022
The kind of bea*ting that HoO for recieve for my hand on the spot ehn. Him sef go know sey him f*ck up
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Bluntemperor: 10:51pm On Sep 07, 2022
sofeo:
Might be the accountant's first time working in such environment.

That's where experience matters at times.

Don't take verbal instructions alone on heavy payments!
Somebody should initiate and copy superiors for confirmation to settle the urgent transaction!.
A bypass to the MD/CEO- ' for your quick approval would have done the magic and saved the accountant .

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 07, 2022
There are no internal controls in that company, the MD ought to know when funds are about to be moved, HOPs don't control accountants.
The dude deserved his sack.

2 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Opoki(m): 11:41pm On Sep 07, 2022
The story get as e be, no company employed accountant will have such access to transfer fund except if he is the CEO or Director of Operations. Accountant in most companies manage impressed account and for my own company, it used to be 250k everyday, like the guy will go to bank to cash 250k for the daily runnings.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Threesha(f): 6:21am On Sep 08, 2022
Oduduwa707:

OP, you got this piece from Linkedin without even bothering to site the source. This is pure fraud as susceptible to most Nigerians. You stole someone else's intellectual property without their consent or at least crediting them. You're indeed very MADDD! angry

The writer is a very good friend of mine as we attended college ~20 years ago. Threesha, you're a thief!
it was stated on the post, I don't know why it was removed. Next time, always find out before jumping to conclusions.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Oduduwa707: 6:39am On Sep 08, 2022
Threesha:
it was stated on the post, I don't know why it was removed. Next time, always find out before jumping to conclusions.

Bloody LIAR! angry Pathetic FRAUD! angry

People like you are the ones messing up the already messed up image of this beautiful nation. Imagine, pple are already seeking professional advice from her. Chai! angry

Falsely portraying yourself to be who & what you're not. Too bad the innocent gullible ones fall for such gimmicks. undecided

You're indeed a disgrace to whatever you claim to stand for! angry

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Bluntemperor: 6:42am On Sep 08, 2022
Oduduwa707:

GBAM! OP,you see Una self

2 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by upuphim(m): 10:22am On Sep 08, 2022
In the circumistance, you can consider joining us at Pwan Group real estate business where will be a boss of your own business, see sack no more in your life and make money consistently. You can reach me on comoli2009@gmail.com for more details.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by lagosrd: 10:57am On Sep 08, 2022
A similar scenario played out while I was working in one office like that.
One of our sectional head was always with the idea of asking guys to request money through their account for office jobs, he narrated the issue to me being a junior guy to me and I expresly told him to stop it but his oga will have mine of it . He told me and I asked him to make a corresponding mail to him and maslkw sure he makes mention and reference to then fund . But the guy objected.

The day the M.D decided to sack them without pay due to not being profitable cos his cost center has spent too much money than what he has generated for the company his boss denied him. It took God's effort for the guy to benoaid something after spending 6years in the same office because the M.D insisted that he should just show him one single mail that shows it was not a connivance with his boss. The boss later told my guy that such is life.

My own scenario was when when a customer service manager ask us to supply goods at a higher price with a backdated letter, my there colleague was just looking like mumu, me I fired back at her that it wasn't possible as there are internal correspondence that shows that the woman in question had always been signing invoices without any issue and am surprised this particular letter has been said to have emanated from the head office . The woman a lawyer sent me one nasty mail and I replied her back that I presume that she been a lawyer and should know where her boundary and rights stops. And I strongly take exception to her extremely insultive words . She reported me to my national manager and I explained what happened to him that she want to out the whole sales team into trouble and my marketing director also a lawyer called for a meeting and I told them what happens and also said I will take legal action against her . The management asked her to apologize to me and since then till I left she has always been on her lane. The rest of the customer service team were asked to send in an apology letter foe under selling the company which they almost sack them then

Moral. Always make a correspondence via mail, text message or any way the person cannot deny. If they like let them read it or not. Otherwise they will land you into trouble and sit there as if they own the company. Bunch of suicide patient.

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by SPAMBOX7: 11:23am On Sep 08, 2022
mactoni91:
Any careless instruction from my superiors should be directed to me via mail(documented)...

I could remember when i was still working fir one XYZ organisation. The maintenance department sent a vendor to come fix somethings.

Obviously, the vendor overly inflated the job price.

When the time for me issue a job completion form to the vendor, i refused signing for the inflated price.

Na so vendor call our Maintenance Dept for HQ.

Some guys from our Maintenance department started calling me via phone to sign.

I told them to send me a mail instructing me to sign for the inflated price. ( They stopped calling)

Last Last the vendor renegotiated and 30% was what we paid.
grin
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Jackipapa: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2022
lavylilly:

You nailed it, Gbah!

2 Likes

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by GreaterFuture(m): 12:45pm On Sep 08, 2022
EdoBoy90:
Inexperienced accountant.

My people know me. since I knew the kind of people Nigerians are, I no dey mouth talk. Send on WhatsApp or email official with your signature.
Are you an accountant too?

1 Like

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Hamachi(f): 6:43pm On Sep 09, 2022
grin
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Hamachi(f): 6:55am On Sep 12, 2022
Anyone working in a one-man business needs a strong personality as much as technical experience.

When people know that you will not do anything without necessary approval, they will not come to you without adequate approval.

It is not the job of an Accountant to be loved, his job is to do his work professionally.
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by lavylilly: 10:51am On Sep 16, 2022
smiley
CountVersailles:

This is true until the one man tells you he didn't give you the same instruction he called ten minutes earlier about. Doing anything as serious as sending huge sums of money to vendors or clients without express written instructions (which should also be backed up with a phone call) is unacceptable in any organization, whether one man or not. In fact, that one man will respect you more as an accountant if you insist on documentary evidence each time before carrying out any instructions. Working without instructions will lead to diasaster soon enough for that one man to fire you regardless. Lesson: always request documentary evidence EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by QuinModah(f): 6:37am On Feb 12, 2023
cry
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by lavylilly: 12:02pm On Feb 14, 2023
grin
Baronthecelebri:
The accountant should arrange boys and pay the man visit
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by lavylilly: 10:31pm On Feb 21, 2023
wink
Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Hamachi(f): 2:28pm On Nov 12, 2023
wink
Jaaqofalltrade:
Doing the right thing is always important. The accountant messed up big time. I doubt they would have sacked him for doing the right thing. Even if it happened that way, he would have held his head up high and even use such evidence to get another job fast.

My 2cent

Re: An Accountant Lost His Job, See Why? by Hamachi(f): 2:30pm On Nov 12, 2023
KillamanJoe:
Leave such organization

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apply For Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) Recruitment 2019 / Am I Really Being unfair To These Two Girls?? / FAAN Recruitment!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.