Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,025 members, 7,810,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter (919 Views)

What Does It Mean For Babies To Be Looking Through Their Legs? / Bitter Kola For Babies / Toys For Babies Vs What They Actually Want To Play With(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by MYBILLIONS(m): 8:23pm On Sep 03, 2022
Last Sunday being the 28th of August 2022. I almost lost my precious daughter to the cold hands of death, fourteen days to her first birthday. God forbid!

My daughter never liked being force-fed and always cry her heart out anytime her mum is force feeding her almost suffocated. I have always had my reservations about the whole SUICIDE FEEDING stuff. But you know how some ladies act nah, like say the man no get business with feeding the baby. Forgetting that "everything relating to the child is our business"

My baby skin started turning pale and there was this sudden involuntary gasp for air. And her eyes began to turn all white. In that state of confusion,
I began to give her mouth resuscitation as well as Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). After a while she pooed and her breath began to normalise.
We thank God for his mercies, she survived the scare.

For those who are not conversant with what is referred to as suicide feeding. It simply mean forceful feeding of infants by putting food into mouth wether liquid or solid.

This practice is very dangerous and often lead to suffocation, which has led to the untimely death of many infants.

It is understandable, that parents get worried when their infants refuse food at the early stage. It is worthy of note that, mothers must try as much as much as possible to study their baby or babies and their food preference.

Most times when mothers force-fed their children, fragments of food ended up in the child’s lungs and could trigger pneumonia.
God bless good mothers who always take their time to care for their babies.

Modes pls help move to FP

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by NJV: 8:24pm On Sep 03, 2022
I never liked that practice

It's feeding time not fighting time.

There are better ways of encouraging a child to eat.

Thank God for you @OP

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by MYBILLIONS(m): 8:31pm On Sep 03, 2022
NJV:
I never liked that practice

It's feeding time not fighting time.

There are better ways of encouraging a child to eat.

Thank God for you @OP

A very scary experience. Thank you so much
Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by Ameboperoo(m): 8:55pm On Sep 03, 2022
If you have been under water and you can't breath for some seconds, then you will understand how babies feel when being force fed.
I hate the practice

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by dominique(f): 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2022
I never knew force-feeding is also called suicide feeding. It should be called "attempted murder" feeding which sometimes becomes "murder" feeding

2 Likes

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by etrange: 9:11pm On Sep 03, 2022
dominique:
I never knew force-feeding is also called suicide feeding. It should be called "attempted murder" feeding which sometimes becomes "murder" feeding

Lol... it's not. I'm not sure how the OP came about that expression. It doesn't even fit as the baby isn't doing it to himself or herself.

2 Likes

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by pocohantas(f): 9:16pm On Sep 03, 2022
I hate that thing with passion. Very senseless and tacky approach to a picky child.

Once the topic came up on Facebook and I was shocked to see some ladies say they were fed like that and they didn’t die. So incorrigible!

There are better ways of encouraging a child to eat. Kiddies nutrition requires a lot of deliberation. You have to keep trying different purees and healthy options. If the child is not sick, he/she would definitely eat one in a reasonable quantity. Then you keep them hydrated.

Not forcing tasteless pap down a child’s throat. Gross!!

Another feeding habit I hate is giving kids boiled noodles to school. You as an adult wouldn’t eat cold noodles. Then you send a child to school with noodles by 7am. They get to eat it by 11 or thereabout. Yuck!

Happy birthday in advance to your baby girl.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by dominique(f): 9:17pm On Sep 03, 2022
etrange:

Lol... it's not. I'm not sure how the OP came about that expression. It doesn't even fit as the baby isn't doing it to himself or herself.

I figured as much
Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 03, 2022
Force feeding is pure torture.

You as an adult how would you feel when someone forcefully shoves food down your throat

Don’t ever force a baby to eat, only feed them when they are hungry. No baby would deny food till the point of starving to death.

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by Twoclans(f): 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2022
Only in Africa will you see mother's practice such horrible form of feeding, meanwhile some of them are such terrible cooks that you can't blame a child that refuses to eat their food. common to make nice pap for a child is a huge problem for some mother's.

The day I saw one of my friends making cereal for her child .Common normal golden morn I just held my breath in shock.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by pocohantas(f): 9:29pm On Sep 03, 2022
Twoclans:
Only in Africa will you see mother's practice such horrible form of feeding, meanwhile some of them are such terrible cooks that you can't blame a child that refuses to eat their food. common to make nice pap for a child is a huge problem for some mother's.

The day I saw one of my friends making cereal for her child .Common normal golden morn I just held my breath in shock.

Well said. Just put nonsense inside plate and you want the child to eat.

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by MYBILLIONS(m): 9:45pm On Sep 03, 2022
Ameboperoo:
If you have been under water and you can't breath for some seconds, then you will understand how babies feel when being force fed.
I hate the practice

Valid point
Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by MYBILLIONS(m): 9:55pm On Sep 03, 2022
etrange:

My neighbours said "Force-feeding" is called suicide feeding in local parlance. Never heard of it before the incident. But the point is, parent should be very careful as not everyone will be as lucky. For me, it's a lesson we'll learnt

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by NoToPile: 10:00pm On Sep 03, 2022
I was wondering what suicide feeding was when I saw the topic.

Congrats OP, big congrats ooo happy for your family.

Never force fed any of my babies, never will.

Even picky eaters will always eat something lastlast

If the baby doesn't eat amala he will eat moimoi nau, these children don't even need to o much food, small quantity of nutrient dense foods and they are okay a bite here a bite there.

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by MYBILLIONS(m): 10:47pm On Sep 03, 2022
NoToPile:
I was wondering what suicide feeding was when I saw the topic.

Congrats OP, big congrats ooo happy for your family.

Never force fed any of my babies, never will.

Even picky eaters will always eat something lastlast

If the baby doesn't eat amala he will eat moimoi nau, these children don't even need to o much food, small quantity of nutrient dense foods and they are okay a bite here a bite there.

You are right. Thank you so much
Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by etrange: 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2022
MYBILLIONS:

My neighbours said "Force-feeding" is called suicide feeding in local parlance. Never heard of it before the incident. But the point is, parent should be very careful as not everyone will be as lucky. For me, it's a lesson we'll learnt

I see. Glad your baby is OK.
Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by madampresident(f): 8:12am On Sep 04, 2022
Force feeding has a formula and is for the experienced mothers. You scoop and allow to breathe then feed and repeat. You don't go stuffing your baby's throat in one go.

1 Like

Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by HolyMan12: 12:18pm On Sep 04, 2022
18 years to come she will be ready for the boys to start exploring grin
Re: Suicide Feeding Dangerous For Babies: I Nearly Lost My Daughter by Lamanii22(f): 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2022
I never liked it too… I had to change it for my MIL, my baby doesn’t like taking formula so I breastfed most of the time… my mil always try to force feed but that didn’t go down well with me… I then told her straight that I didn’t like it with a fierce face…. She got the message. It’s way too risky, I’m happy for you OP…

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Way To Stop A Child That Bed Wets / Your Relationship, How Spiritual Elements Affects It. / The Damage Of Working Hard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.