Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,162 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped (34644 Views)

7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped / Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki (Photo) / Building Under Construction Collapses In Aba, Many Trapped (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Babalola0920: 10:26am On Sep 04, 2022
Lovenorth:
Building collapse is becoming a menace in Nigeria especially Lagos

Na people wey like to produce fake fake thing cause am China na there home
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Olayetan(m): 10:37am On Sep 04, 2022
Everyone wants to cash out from real estates and they are now using sub standard materials to cut cost and maximize profit.

Sometimes I wonder if this people are building houses for ghost cux the rate of this new buildings on the island is getting too much and we also need government interference in this houses that are put for rents in Lagos, cuz the rent they charge people and the C&A is just too ridiculous...

How can C&A be more than half of annual rent of an apartment, government has to do something about this cuz Landlords and Agents are sucking people off their money...

How can one even save for retirement when you're paying millions in rent.
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Khaysee: 10:41am On Sep 04, 2022
Building materials are now very expensive lagos soil is different dont cut corner you will loose more if u do

Better to build 3 story than 7 if u will not use best hands
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by newoffer: 10:56am On Sep 04, 2022
May we not see 2.0 hurricane cos the house that will be left will be like 2 dozens. Especially Lagos
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by boyfrank: 10:58am On Sep 04, 2022
Nwodosis:
Usage of unprofessionals and substandard materials to build in order to save/ cut cost is the most expensive way to build.

Because you will have to build it a second time.
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Originalsly: 11:04am On Sep 04, 2022
I don't understand why with building collapse everyone blames the owner for using cheap substandard materials and unprofessional builders. The blame needs to be on the City. What have the building inspectors been doing? They are supposed to be the watchdogs to make sure that the buildings are constructed or renovated to standards required by law. They are never called out and it is clear they are not doing their jobs. Building under construction collapses .... do they go after the inspectors that signed off everything was up to standard? People die ... do the owners and builders ever be charged? Buildings will continue to collapse
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by micxwell(m): 11:15am On Sep 04, 2022
Nwodosis:
Usage of unprofessionals and substandard materials to build in order to save/ cut cost is the most expensive way to build.
People will never learn. Any building beyond a storey is no joke especially in Lekki.

1 Like

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by AFONJAPIG(m): 12:03pm On Sep 04, 2022
Ordinary 7 storey building.. they should go to dubai and see structures
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Bigfish121(m): 12:18pm On Sep 04, 2022
Civil engineering is all about following lay down specifications.Anthing otherwise,there will be a failure.These days I see Architects calling themselves structural engineers and it is really appalling. COREN really needs to look into this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by sofiscatedmoron: 12:19pm On Sep 04, 2022
Nwodosis:
And also lekki Land need properly concrete foundation because their land is salty and prone to water inversion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Bigfish121(m): 12:26pm On Sep 04, 2022
For high rise buildings in lekki,pile foundations are supposed to be used.i feel tye regulatory bodies in lagos are not really doing their jobs.Building collapse hardly happen in abuja because it requires a rigorous process before such buildings is authorised by FCDA.

sofiscatedmoron:

And also lekki Land need properly concrete foundation because their land is salty and prone to water inversion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Demor1: 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2022
The first pic doesnt look under construction or do i need to see my optician?
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2022
Nwodosis:
this is facts
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by oluwabunmi61010: 1:48pm On Sep 04, 2022
Tinubu built lagos gang, where are you? You should not only claim the good things of lagos. You must also claim responsibility for the Collasping structures.I come in peace.Tinubu built lagos gang, where are you? You should not only claim the good things of lagos. You must also claim responsibility for the Collasping structures.I come in peace....
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by ubee(m): 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2022
It's bad enough that our quack and irresponsible leaders cannot ensure that substandard building materials are non-existent in our markets (something that should be very easy to achieve in any serious society)

But what really worries my mind right now is that we might be dealing with an even much more serious and tragic problem which is - "Most of our builders in Nigeria are ill-trained and are not updated to the modern and emerging trends and practices in the building and construction business" This could be an even much more serious problem, because the frequency of building collapses across basically all the states of the country leads me to believe that the problem goes beyond the threat of substandard building materials.
God1000:
This is sad, more and more people continue to die from Jerry built houses.

Why are we doing this to ourselves in Nigeria! Why using substandard materials for building construction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by InterpolEyes: 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2022
I wish beanmanx was trapped here. That robber need to pay for his sins
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by wallarwallar(m): 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2022
Massiveglory:
Tinubu built lagos gang, where are you?
You should not only claim the good things of lagos. You must also claim responsibility for the Collasping structures.
I come in peace.

You are a complete fool
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by remsonik(f): 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2022
All our building materials in Nigeria this days are substandard and fake. Alot of materials used in construction this days can't hold the construction strong and for longer days.

My dad who was a civil engineer will always tell me that he used stronger materials to build on all contracts he got in the 70's and 80s than what is in the market nowadays. 5 bags of cement this days cannot do what 2 bags will do then.

May God help us
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2022
Originalsly:
I don't understand why with building collapse everyone blames the owner for using cheap substandard materials and unprofessional builders. The blame needs to be on the City. What have the building inspectors been doing? They are supposed to be the watchdogs to make sure that the buildings are constructed or renovated to standards required by law. They are never called out and it is clear they are not doing their jobs. Building under construction collapses .... do they go after the inspectors that signed off everything was up to standard? People die ... do the owners and builders ever be charged? Buildings will continue to collapse

Lol, seems you haven't done any construction work in Lagos. If you are expecting inspectors to enforce the use of standard structures, you go loss. The onus lies on the owner to ensure he employs qualified engineers who will do the right thing.

The inspectors just visit, put red marks on the building and wait for you to pay. Once you drop envelope, they move to another location, then another set of "inspectors" visit you the next week.

I believe your last question will be the way out. Inspectors, both from state and local government, in charge of an area should be help responsible whenever a building in that area collapses. Not just dismissed, they can even be sent to jail for a while sef... By then, all of them go get sense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by SaturnNick(m): 4:16pm On Sep 04, 2022
I am seeing old, rusted roofing materials. What are you not saying OP?
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Timmi: 4:23pm On Sep 04, 2022
Massiveglory:
Tinubu built lagos gang, where are you?
You should not only claim the good things of lagos. You must also claim responsibility for the Collasping structures.
I come in peace.

Is your head correct? it looks like some screws must have been missing from your head. What does politics have to do with poor workmanship on a construction site.
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by sabreal: 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2022
love of money is root of all evil

1 Like

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Tqw1: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2022
Really
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by AngelaInteriorz: 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2022
remsonik:
All our building materials in Nigeria this days are substandard and fake. Alot of materials used in construction this days can't hold the construction strong and for longer days.

My dad who was a civil engineer will always tell me that he used stronger materials to build on all contracts he got in the 70's and 80s than what is in the market nowadays. 5 bags of cement this days cannot do what 2 bags will do then.

May God help us

Your dad is not lying. Compare the old buildings with what we have today. Today owns are flashy nonsense.

1 Like

Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by gloryman91: 5:32pm On Sep 04, 2022
Fake structural engineering, but why have Dubai not been experiencing such ?
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by brownbib(m): 7:55pm On Sep 04, 2022
Dividends of mediocre engrs�.. I just hope nobody gets hurt.
Re: 7-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Lekki, 6 Persons Trapped by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2022
hmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buildng A Block Of 4 Flat As A Framed Structure. Pix, cost and challenges. / Photos From The Building Collapse In Lekki, Lagos This Morning / Look At The Price Of Cement In 1989

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.