Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? (7032 Views)

The Beautiful Egyptian Queen Whose Hair Is Still Intact Over 3,000 Years / "Barb" Your Hair Is Wrong. See The Right Word / The Use Of "An" Before H Sounding Words, Is It Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 9:11am On Sep 06, 2022
I want to barb my hair — Is it correct?

People use “I want to barb my hair” to mean I want to cut my hair. However, the subject of discussion is the correctness of the expression, and the use of barb.

What is the meaning of barb?

Barb, as a verb, means to furnish with a barb. So, it has no relation to the cutting of hair. Nonetheless, it has been used in Nigeria to mean cutting of hair. And it has become correct in Nigerian English, since few reputable dictionaries have listed the Nigerian meaning of it among others. One must know that the meaning is just endemic to Nigerians alone, not universal. Therefore, barb, which means to cut one’s hair, is not universally correct English.

How can we make the statement to be universally correct?

The appropriate verb for the cutting of one’s hair is barber. The word, barber, can be a noun or a verb. As a noun, it means someone who cuts men’s hair and shaves or trims bread as an occupation. As a verb, it means the cutting or trimming of men’s hair.

The correct expressions are:

Continue reading via https://www.emeritushub.com/i-want-to-barb-my-hair-___-is-it-correct/
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by illicit(m): 10:08am On Sep 06, 2022
I want to cut my hair is the right expression

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 12:00pm On Sep 06, 2022
illicit:
there are many correct usages. You can check the blog to see more.
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by illicit(m): 12:07pm On Sep 06, 2022
Emeritus1200:
there are many correct usages. You can check the blog to see more.

Barb doesn't exist to mean cut
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 12:14pm On Sep 06, 2022
illicit:

Barb doesn't exist to mean cut

You can read my post very well. Barb, as a verb, means to furnish with a barb. However, it has been accepted in Nigeria English usage and put in some dictionaries that the word, barb, can mean to cut the hair in the Nigerian setting alone.

You can confirm that by checking it on the internet.
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by illicit(m): 12:15pm On Sep 06, 2022
Emeritus1200:
You can read my post very well. Barb, as a verb, means to furnish with a barb. However, it has been accepted in Nigeria English usage and put in some dictionaries that the word, barb, can mean to cut the hair in the Nigerian setting alone.

You can confirm that by checking it on the internet.

Okay tho

I am a Linguist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by JOACHINpedro: 12:28pm On Sep 06, 2022
I want to have a hair-cut. QED
Why making life difficult for the already suffering Nigerians? angry

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 12:29pm On Sep 06, 2022
illicit:

Okay tho

I am a Linguist
very good.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 12:30pm On Sep 06, 2022
JOACHINpedro:
I want to have a hair-cut. QED
Why making life difficult for the already suffering Nigerians? angry
meaning?
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by JOACHINpedro: 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2022
Emeritus1200:
meaning?
You should have given the correct sentence here (NL) then add your link for further inferences

1 Like

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Ihatebuhariwith(m): 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2022
I want to Goan cut my hair.. I'm going to Barber shop, I'm going to barbering salon not barbing saloon.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 1:37pm On Sep 06, 2022
JOACHINpedro:

You should have given the correct sentence here (NL) then add your link for further inferences
okay. I'm sorry.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by afribookorg(m): 1:40pm On Sep 06, 2022
JOACHINpedro:

Leave the goat. La click la bend angry
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 1:42pm On Sep 06, 2022
afribookorg:

Leave the goat. La click la bend angry
calm down, boss.
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2022
Ihatebuhariwith:
I want to Goan cut my hair.. I'm going to Barber shop, I'm going to barbering salon not barbing saloon.
you are right.
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 06, 2022
I want to have my hair cut
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by zoer(m): 3:58pm On Sep 06, 2022
Na IELTS we wan speak for barbing saloon?

Omoooh....BARBER COME BARB ME JERRYCOIL

1 Like

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by FhucLyf: 4:42pm On Sep 06, 2022
I want to cultivate my hair undecided

1 Like

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by BigYash: 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2022
Na so one day I enter one salon ,during service year. I tell d boy wen me first see there,say I wan barb. grin

Small time d oga enter.. The oga ask ,wetin bros wan do.. The boy said " He Say He Want Cut He Head"

Omo I move o.. I didn't cut my hair there again,cux it was in one of those States,if you know,you know. Make I sha no mention the state name..

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Opperwezen(m): 7:59pm On Sep 06, 2022
illicit:

It's wrong in this usage because you go to the barbing salon to have your hair cut and not cutting it yourself.

Correct expression would be "I want to have my hair cut"
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by illicit(m): 8:06pm On Sep 06, 2022
Opperwezen:

It's wrong in this usage because you go to the barbing salon to have your hair cut and not cutting it yourself.

Correct expression would be "I want to have my hair cut"

Not everyone goes to salon to get their hair cut
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by ONUTOPSY(m): 8:55pm On Sep 06, 2022
I WANT TO GET MY HAIR CUT
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Doorlarss(m): 10:08pm On Sep 06, 2022
If u like dnt cut it
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Ishilove: 10:18pm On Sep 06, 2022
All these long stories. The correct usage is "I want to barber my hair" angry
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by Emeritus1200: 10:18pm On Sep 06, 2022
Let's welcome more correct ways to express ourselves without making any grammatical blunder.
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by cayorday89(m): 12:19pm On Sep 07, 2022
Ishilove:
All these long stories. The correct usage is "I want to barber my hair" angry
A Friend to me: "I called you earlier and you did not pick, what have you been up to".
Me: "I have been BARBER(R)ING my hair".
Which is correct for the highlighted?
Re: I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? by ukzenlumbs(m): 5:35pm On Sep 07, 2022
The correct sentence is '' I WANT TO HAVE MY HAIR-CUT''

(1) (Reply)

Literature-in-english Jamb 2016/2017 [ Examportal.ml ] / NUC Directs UI Governing Council To Appoint Acting VC / Countries You Have Never Heard Of But Existed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.