Stats: 3,151,561 members, 7,812,820 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

I Just Quit ALX Programme - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Quit ALX Programme (15822 Views)

My First Month At The ALX Software Engineering Programme / ALX Virtual Assistant Program / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (2) (3) (4)

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Starrywells: 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2022
Qtrpst4:
Alx refused to take me because am above their age limit. This HOLBON do they have that limit?

HOLBERTON is an/a (either American or British... I've forgotten...) standard software engineering bootcamp that was recently acquired by ALX (an African company that's into tech)

I think the acquisition happened Early this year. So ALX is HOLBERTON nd HOLBERTON is ALX. Hence their certificate upon graduation carries " ALX nd HOLBERTON....."

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Starrywells: 12:56pm On Sep 08, 2022
Please/Abeg!!!

All these people in their 4th month in ALX, it would be highly appreciated if you guys would extend a hand of fellowship to us, the ones that re about to start.

Tell us how we can reach out to you please!!!
Thanks nd God bless you all!
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by airsaylongcome: 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Good submission.

The heat in the kitchen is what keeps many out of it. Can't handle it? Leave the kitchen.

I went to Google them thinking theirs is something different. You can learn in a year, there are other outfits doing so, BUT the requirement is the time and dedication. Those two things are actually the same when learning. It will probably still be the same complaint with Microverse and anyone else offering 1 year programs.

If you tell people to learn for 3 years, they'll tell you it's too long. 1 year is too much going on. 2 years is not enough. Sigh.

OP should prepare time.

Really big Sigh! Someone up there is calling me "Mr Passion". When in all honesty, passion and discipline is what is required to have a chance of succeeding in this space. I've said it before that a lot of people think remote work is basically seating in from of a computer for 8 hours "doing nothing" to earn "oyel money". They don't realize that it's brutal hardwork, sometimes at ungodly hours

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Anonymous6o6: 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2022
ameh43:

Please how do I connect with you? I am Waiting for my induction and would really appreciate any advice and material I can be playing with to get myself ready for the task ahead. No prior knowledge of programing so, what do you advice? I really will appreciate connecting with you

Send a message to my email and I will drop my WhatsApp number
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2022
airsaylongcome:
OP,
The reasons you gave aren't very valid. It kind of indicates that you aren't passionate enough to break through the normal obstacles that come with learning while working. Fast-paced work environments like is often seen in Software Engineering require grit, determination and top notch time management skills (there are always deadlines in life). And it comes across like you are struggling with those traits. Trust me, 90% of Software Engineers have "googling" as one of the key soft skills.

While I understand that it can be a very difficult balancing act, it's something that can be done if you really want to accomplish it. Review your position, plan your time, be disciplined and you can overcome these resistance. Or does the prospect of earning $30 or $50/hr not motivate you enough?

Ask around about CFA exam that is required in the Finance industry. It's one of the most brutal exams. And is taken mostly by people working in banking or finance. They have to juggle their time between working and preparing for the exam. And a lot of people succeed at doing that. Is it easy? NO. Is it doable? ABSOLUTELY!!

Discipline yourself and plan your time. Nothing good comes easy. I wish you all the best
I read the replies to this and laughed when people called you Mr. Passion

I think you try to hard to explain what tech is to people who refuse to get it. They probably have the idea that the tech world is one blissful place where people just chill and earn fat salaries. Eventually the OP will come to understand that pain is the only way through. There is no comfortability in the journey to getting good at tech
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by airsaylongcome: 6:57pm On Sep 08, 2022
DrLevi:

I think you try too hard to explain what tech is to people who refuse to get it. They probably have the idea that the tech world is one blissful place where people just chill and earn fat salaries. Eventually the OP will come to understand that pain is the only way through. There is no comfortability in the journey to getting good at tech

Loads of people actually think this is what remote work is about. Learn a bit about tech, wake up at 8am, turn on your laptop, "play" around until closing hours. Repeat until month end and get fat salaries

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Qtrpst4: 7:15pm On Sep 08, 2022
That means there criteria will still be the same
Starrywells:

HOLBERTON is an/a (either American or British... I've forgotten...) standard software engineering bootcamp that was recently acquired by ALX (an African company that's into tech)

I think the acquisition happened Early this year. So ALX is HOLBERTON nd HOLBERTON is ALX. Hence their certificate upon graduation carries " ALX nd HOLBERTON....."
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Qtrpst4: 7:17pm On Sep 08, 2022
Why is no one talking about how we sit down and your bum bum is paining you but you can't stand up?

Abi na only me sey experience am?

DrLevi:

I think you try to hard to explain what tech is to people who refuse to get it. They probably have the idea that the tech world is one blissful place where people just chill and earn fat salaries. Eventually the OP will come to understand that pain is the only way through. There is no comfortability in the journey to getting good at tech
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by laidenews(f): 11:30pm On Sep 08, 2022
Qtrpst4:
Why is no one talking about how we sit down and your bum bum is paining you but you can't stand up?

Abi na only me sey experience am?

I’ve been feeling pains in my butt coupled with swollen legs because I sit and work for 8hours everyday. Tonight, I was forced to search on google if there’s any illness that can result from too much sitting.

Tech isn’t for the faint hearted.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Nobody: 2:26am On Sep 09, 2022
laidenews:
I’ve been feeling pains in my butt coupled with swollen legs because I sit and work for 8hours everyday. Tonight, I was forced to search on google if there’s any illness that can result from too much sitting.

Abeg shut up with over exaggeration.

By now all those people working office work especially bankers for don die.

No worries self.... I'm very sure you'll tap out soon
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Qtrpst4: 3:06am On Sep 09, 2022
There is oh, try standing up.

I have being trying to look for a kind of foam I can buy online to seat on. I know there is just that I don't know the name

laidenews:

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Qtrpst4: 3:08am On Sep 09, 2022
What do you mean by that, how much is 8 hours?

That you don't do something doesn't mean someone else doesn't

GREATIGBOMAN:

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Archangels2(m): 6:14am On Sep 09, 2022
I just finished the fmva programme and I'm currently doing Bida. All these offered by cfi through alx. And I work in a bank.. my take...

These courses are very educational. The quality is top notch if you ask me but it's free and there's the caveat. If you notice, cfi gives a paid version of the courses usually for a more extended period of time than the alx version. Awoof dey purge belle lol.. a course that normally should take 6 months would be rushed in a year. You have to find your way to the finish line or drop out that's the game. I've found a way around it though.. even so it's not easy and extremely time consuming.. I hardly sleep even with this work around. That's how challenging it is.. but the curriculum is top notch guys

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 09, 2022
Qtrpst4:
What do you men by that, how much is 8 hours?

That you don't so something doesn't mean someone else doesn't

It was hard reading your post
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 09, 2022
Qtrpst4:
What do you men by that, how much is 8 hours?

That you don't so something doesn't mean someone else doesn't

It was hard reading and understanding your post
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 09, 2022
laidenews:

If possible buy a new chair, it would be expensive but you need it. Those ones you can adjust properly, cost around 40k.

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Qtrpst4: 1:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
Corrected
GREATIGBOMAN:

It was hard reading and understanding your post
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Starrywells: 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Send a message to my email and I will drop my WhatsApp number

Hello Anonymous6o6

I will also be needing your email... Would like to connect with you.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by EarlHall(m): 4:20pm On Sep 09, 2022
laidenews:

As for the pain, there is a bony projection in human buttocks called ischial tuberosity. It pushes onto muscle and causes pain if we sit for long. Also as for the short term dangers of prolonged sitting, there is DVT(deep venous thrombosis), basically a clot they forms in your legs and travels up to your lungs, heart or brain to cause blockage. It is hardly seen in young men anyway, then long term complications will just be lack of physical fitness, back pain etc. And just hope then you don't get a serious illness in the future because the lack of fitness will complicate issues for u.

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Playermayweda(m): 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2022
Heard alx requires 70hrs/week. If that's true isn't that too much?
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Hybkay(m): 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2022
airsaylongcome:
OP,
The reasons you gave aren't very valid. It kind of indicates that you aren't passionate enough to break through the normal obstacles that come with learning while working. Fast-paced work environments like is often seen in Software Engineering require grit, determination and top notch time management skills (there are always deadlines in life). And it comes across like you are struggling with those traits. Trust me, 90% of Software Engineers have "googling" as one of the key soft skills.

While I understand that it can be a very difficult balancing act, it's something that can be done if you really want to accomplish it. Review your position, plan your time, be disciplined and you can overcome these resistance. Or does the prospect of earning $30 or $50/hr not motivate you enough?

Ask around about CFA exam that is required in the Finance industry. It's one of the most brutal exams. And is taken mostly by people working in banking or finance. They have to juggle their time between working and preparing for the exam. And a lot of people succeed at doing that. Is it easy? NO. Is it doable? ABSOLUTELY!!

Discipline yourself and plan your time. Nothing good comes easy. I wish you all the best
Bless you brother for this. You've just successfully motivated to jump on the program.

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by laidenews(f): 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2022
EarlHall:

As for the pain, there is a bony projection in human buttocks called ischial tuberosity. It pushes onto muscle and causes pain if we sit for long. Also as for the short term dangers of prolonged sitting, there is DVT(deep venous thrombosis), basically a clot they forms in your legs and travels up to your lungs, heart or brain to cause blockage. It is hardly seen in young men anyway, then long term complications will just be lack of physical fitness, back pain etc. And just hope then you don't get a serious illness in the future because the lack of fitness will complicate issues for u.
The only fitness I engage in now is squat. I’m a lady and I really do hope it doesn’t affect me. Right now I battle with back ache and muscle pull a lot and yes, my legs are always swollen.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by laidenews(f): 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2022
truthsayer009:

If possible buy a new chair, it would be expensive but you need it. Those ones you can adjust properly, cost around 40k.
Thank you. Can you suggest anyone in specific?
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by laidenews(f): 9:32pm On Sep 09, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Exaggerations?
When I’m currently lying down because of back pain.
Tap out soon? Well you’re right. I once gave up but definitely not again looking at how far I have come with this.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by AKEEMNAS(m): 1:23am On Sep 10, 2022
Qtrpst4:

I have being trying to look for a kind of foam I can buy online to seat on. I know there is just that I don't know the name

Try to get a throw pillow, you can use that to support your back or could seat on it if you're feeling pains after seating for a long period of time.

You can take screen breaks and go on a short walk.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by seunny4lif(m): 5:40am On Sep 10, 2022
Qtrpst4:

I can only sit for 2 hrs straight without standing up and stretching my legs, anything beyond that will result in massive pain for me.
I already have back pains from doing heavy lifting when I worked in one yeye food factory.
Make sure to have pillow or back support at the back of your office chair ooh.

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by airsaylongcome: 6:17pm On Sep 10, 2022
laidenews:
Thank you. Can you suggest anyone in specific?

There are chairs called "gaming chairs". They are pricey (around 150k on Jumia) but MY WORD your back will thank you forever. Also, ALWAYS ensure you have your back resting on the back of the chair. Pull your chair as close to the table as much as you can. NEVER slouch when working. Your neck and back will hurt. For the swollen feet, when you aren't working put your legs up on a Stoll or something. Sleep with a pillow under your ankles. Na hustle we dey hustle, make we no sick because of Dollar.

I also use a time management technique called Pomodoro. Work hard for 25mins, take a 5mins break. Do this 4 times, take a 30mins break. Then repeat

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by shegzy0514(m): 7:21pm On Sep 10, 2022
Archangels2:
I just finished the fmva programme and I'm currently doing Bida. All these offered by cfi through alx. And I work in a bank.. my take...

These courses are very educational. The quality is top notch if you ask me but it's free and there's the caveat. If you notice, cfi gives a paid version of the courses usually for a more extended period of time than the alx version. Awoof dey purge belle lol.. a course that normally should take 6 months would be rushed in a year. You have to find your way to the finish line or drop out that's the game. I've found a way around it though.. even so it's not easy and extremely time consuming.. I hardly sleep even with this work around. That's how challenging it is.. but the curriculum is top notch guys
Boss, I will be starting mine on the 19th of this month. I will really like you to advise me on how to go about it. I mean you reading strategy may b it might work for me. Some one sent me the videos already so I am currently learning on it
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Xinjin: 3:52pm On Sep 11, 2022
Nothing is easy, we just gat to push
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Anonymous6o6: 4:04am On Sep 12, 2022
Starrywells:

Hello Anonymous6o6

I will also be needing your email... Would like to connect with you.

You should be able to see my email when you click on my profile
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Anonymous6o6: 4:06am On Sep 12, 2022
Playermayweda:
Heard alx requires 70hrs/week. If that's true isn't that too much?

Yeah
70hrs a week
14hrs a day
Sounds so unrealistic but that is ALX telling you to prepare ahead because of your tasks and projects

It doesn't mean you have to be online all the time but you might end up staying online all the time to study materials, engage with your peers regarding the tasks and doing the projects.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by 2Radii: 2:11pm On Sep 14, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

The program is for people that have a lot of free time to spare. I don’t want a situation where after I have spent like 3 or 4 months on the program , I will be dropped . That will be a waste of my time
how many months have u spent bro??

Pictures Of My First Android App (comments And Suggestion Needed) / Bet9ja Naira Adder / Programming Investment- Stutern

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55