Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

I Just Quit ALX Programme - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Quit ALX Programme (15824 Views)

My First Month At The ALX Software Engineering Programme / ALX Virtual Assistant Program / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by 2Radii: 2:53pm On Sep 14, 2022
shegzy0514:

Boss, I will be starting mine on the 19th of this month. I will really like you to advise me on how to go about it. I mean you reading strategy may b it might work for me. Some one sent me the videos already so I am currently learning on it
we are in saw cohort bro, can I msg u??
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by shegzy0514(m): 3:37pm On Sep 14, 2022
2Radii:
Yes bro
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by intergral(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2022
2Radii:
please how valuable is their certificate and is it recognized internationally?
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by 2Radii: 8:59pm On Oct 15, 2022
intergral:
please how valuable is their certificate and is it recognized internationally?

There certificate is valuable bro, its issued out by holberton in UK.

But the tin is, their study sprint is ghastly, non-beginners friendly.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Bobbiee: 10:57am On Nov 06, 2022
Starrywells:
Hmmm...
Me I no even know Wetin to talk sef.

Am aware the requirements of the course is absolutely herculean; but I believe that this kind of opportunity don't come twice. Training to become a software engineer is actually a wonderful thing, when u recall the fact that you can do MAGIC that may seem arcane to web developer. Truly, if we re really given to this tech thing, if truly we have the passion, if we really want to make it as far as tech is concerned, then we should be able to surmount whatever challenge that come our way... Like the last person said.."nothing good comes easy".

There's a prestige that that title - Software engineer bestow on you. It is even better when truly, you know your onions as a software engineer. Talk about the edge, the preference, the pay, easy aceing of interviews that may seem gross for a web guy.

The perks are gigantic... Hence with great power comes great responsibility!!!

Where would you even get a curriculum for software engineering? But alx did all the hard stuff by curating an actual curriculum for it. I know certificate doesn't matter in tech, but hey! A certificate attesting that you graduated from HOLBERTON(u can Google it) nd ALX as a software engineer is never a little feat!!! It speaks volumes of your capabilities. Among the perks, u re also added to the ROOM , where you get to connect with top companies very easy. The traditional stress of bombarding job sites with application would be cut off.
What's more interesting is the fact that you have advocates that re going to speak for u there, nd the companies already know the caliber of students that re being produced by alx. Interview? Piece of cake!!!
(David, one of the graduate was immediately taken by Amazon)
I once saw an Ethiopian nursing mother that graduated from the program!

In conclusion,
What the Op was true, but wat the last person (airslaygon......) Said is truest!!!

(If there's anything like that)

Look, ALX software engineering program is doable. Heck, I was part of the program in August but dropped out in October. It's just not feasible for people who have a job. Asides the 2 o'clock classes that we had to participate in three times a week. We also had all the projects that we had to do on almost a daily basis. These projects were time intensive.

Imagine you work at a bank as a teller where you're attending to customers every hour on the hour for the rest of your shift, from 8am to around 5pm. Say, afterwards, you also had to attend virtual calls and do some remote tasks for the job after hours (because most jobs nowadays want you to overperform). And yet, you now have ALX projects to do. Asides, the fact that attending the 2oclock meets would almost certainly clash with your job. It's just unreasonable to expect that after a hectic day of work, a person have to come home and spend the next 4-5 hours doing the projects given for each day.

Burnout is real, and people in such situations are playing a dangerous game. Me, I was working remotely as an account manager for a company on the island. Being a remote job, I thought I'd have a lot of time on my hands to juggle the ALX program as well. BIG JOKE. I ended up severely stressed, lost a ton of weight, and fell I'll that I had to be checked in at a hospital.

To keep up, I had to wake up everyday by 4 o'clock and go to sleep by around 11pm to 12 am. It's just crazy. I had no choice but to quit.

If ALX was offering a paid internship program, no matter how small, I might have considered quitting my job just so I can focus squarely on the program.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Bobbiee: 11:10am On Nov 06, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Yeah
70hrs a week
14hrs a day
Sounds so unrealistic but that is ALX telling you to prepare ahead because of your tasks and projects

It doesn't mean you have to be online all the time but you might end up staying online all the time to study materials, engage with your peers regarding the tasks and doing the projects.

14 hours a day doesn't make any sense at all especially for people that have a job. If I got off work by 4, and due to Lagos traffic, I got home by around 6 or 7. It'd take me 1-2 hours resting, preparing meals, freshing up, walking the dog, before I can start my ALX training. If that time is by around 9. I can only give 4 hours max, i.e., going to bed by 1 am. Before waking up in the morning and going to work. That's why I said ALX is not for people who hold real jobs.

Even students would still have to attend lectures and back when I was in university, I woke up by 6 am, prepared got my lectures by 7 am. We'd have lectures from 7-9, 9-11, sometimes 12-2, all the way to 5 or 6 or even 7pm sometimes. What time would someone have to learn. The only instance would be the weekend when I usually have time.

This stuff is best for graduates who live with their parents and have no intention of getting a job and rather just want to devote 1 year to the ALX program, especially if they have a side income stream. This was my case for a while, even while I had another real job. I was considering quitting my job and focusing on the program while earning solely with my side income. But I bankrupted so I had to hold on to my job and eventually drop out of ALX

2 Likes

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Hannania(m): 3:44pm On Nov 06, 2022
Qtrpst4:
Alx refused to take me because am above their age limit. This HOLBON do they have that limit?

ALX bought Hoborton school earlier this year. It was a Silicon Valley company, now owned by an African who wons Alx.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by jarx: 3:32pm On Jan 30, 2023
You just motivated me with this write up. Am currently in cohort 12. Told myself already am not gonna give up. Currently jobless, so am dedicating most of my time to it
Starrywells:
Hmmm...
Me I no even know Wetin to talk sef.

Am aware the requirements of the course is absolutely herculean; but I believe that this kind of opportunity don't come twice. Training to become a software engineer is actually a wonderful thing, when u recall the fact that you can do MAGIC that may seem arcane to web developer. Truly, if we re really given to this tech thing, if truly we have the passion, if we really want to make it as far as tech is concerned, then we should be able to surmount whatever challenge that come our way... Like the last person said.."nothing good comes easy".

There's a prestige that that title - Software engineer bestow on you. It is even better when truly, you know your onions as a software engineer. Talk about the edge, the preference, the pay, easy aceing of interviews that may seem gross for a web guy.

The perks are gigantic... Hence with great power comes great responsibility!!!

Where would you even get a curriculum for software engineering? But alx did all the hard stuff by curating an actual curriculum for it. I know certificate doesn't matter in tech, but hey! A certificate attesting that you graduated from HOLBERTON(u can Google it) nd ALX as a software engineer is never a little feat!!! It speaks volumes of your capabilities. Among the perks, u re also added to the ROOM , where you get to connect with top companies very easy. The traditional stress of bombarding job sites with application would be cut off.
What's more interesting is the fact that you have advocates that re going to speak for u there, nd the companies already know the caliber of students that re being produced by alx. Interview? Piece of cake!!!
(David, one of the graduate was immediately taken by Amazon)
I once saw an Ethiopian nursing mother that graduated from the program!

In conclusion,
What the Op was true, but wat the last person (airslaygon......) Said is truest!!!

(If there's anything like that)
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 30, 2023
Starrywells:

Funny but it's so true, people just look at you & assume you are super intelligent. I have a hard time convincing people that you can be average & also be a software engineer but what it required is constant practise. Most people outside of Tech think it's only mathematics that is being solved while writing code cheesy

ALX is a great programme for anyone that can finish it, the perks are a lot and honestly best for someone who doesn't have any job at the time of studies to dedicate hours of work into it.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Chrollo: 11:18pm On Mar 08, 2023
Bobbiee:

Look, ALX software engineering program is doable. Heck, I was part of the program in August but dropped out in October. It's just not feasible for people who have a job. Asides the 2 o'clock classes that we had to participate in three times a week. We also had all the projects that we had to do on almost a daily basis. These projects were time intensive.

Imagine you work at a bank as a teller where you're attending to customers every hour on the hour for the rest of your shift, from 8am to around 5pm. Say, afterwards, you also had to attend virtual calls and do some remote tasks for the job after hours (because most jobs nowadays want you to overperform). And yet, you now have ALX projects to do. Asides, the fact that attending the 2oclock meets would almost certainly clash with your job. It's just unreasonable to expect that after a hectic day of work, a person have to come home and spend the next 4-5 hours doing the projects given for each day.

Burnout is real, and people in such situations are playing a dangerous game. Me, I was working remotely as an account manager for a company on the island. Being a remote job, I thought I'd have a lot of time on my hands to juggle the ALX program as well. BIG JOKE. I ended up severely stressed, lost a ton of weight, and fell I'll that I had to be checked in at a hospital.

To keep up, I had to wake up everyday by 4 o'clock and go to sleep by around 11pm to 12 am. It's just crazy. I had no choice but to quit.

If ALX was offering a paid internship program, no matter how small, I might have considered quitting my job just so I can focus squarely on the program.
Hi, I see quite a lot of people get their application accepted. I just want to know if the application assessments really matters as I got a little bit below 70 in the three categories. Is it enough to get accepted or I should just forget about it?
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by aromonday(m): 11:03am On Jun 08, 2023
How far , Have you finished your Bida exam now? I need your help

Archangels2:
I just finished the fmva programme and I'm currently doing Bida. All these offered by cfi through alx. And I work in a bank.. my take...

These courses are very educational. The quality is top notch if you ask me but it's free and there's the caveat. If you notice, cfi gives a paid version of the courses usually for a more extended period of time than the alx version. Awoof dey purge belle lol.. a course that normally should take 6 months would be rushed in a year. You have to find your way to the finish line or drop out that's the game. I've found a way around it though.. even so it's not easy and extremely time consuming.. I hardly sleep even with this work around. That's how challenging it is.. but the curriculum is top notch guys
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by RRMarket: 2:52am On Jul 19, 2023
Archangels2:
I just finished the fmva programme and I'm currently doing Bida. All these offered by cfi through alx. And I work in a bank.. my take...

These courses are very educational. The quality is top notch if you ask me but it's free and there's the caveat. If you notice, cfi gives a paid version of the courses usually for a more extended period of time than the alx version. Awoof dey purge belle lol.. a course that normally should take 6 months would be rushed in a year. You have to find your way to the finish line or drop out that's the game. I've found a way around it though.. even so it's not easy and extremely time consuming.. I hardly sleep even with this work around. That's how challenging it is.. but the curriculum is top notch guys

And after all these, what next? What have you been doing with the ones you learnt already? Just thinking out loud.... On my way to quit voluntarily from the ALX SE program. Naija situation is not even helping matters right now.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by Estherominyi: 3:13pm On Jul 21, 2023
Interested in becoming a full stack developer join our online classes today on Whatsapp
Learn html css JavaScript python e.t.c, completely FREE for the first one month, click on the link below to join the class
https:///JBaJ1XOPcv6AOs89bie7Uz

1 Like

Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by tollyboy5(m): 5:15pm On Jul 21, 2023
I also dropped out. Time is expensive.
Re: I Just Quit ALX Programme by ammy4id: 11:35am On Aug 20, 2023
Estherominyi:
Interested in becoming a full stack developer join our online classes today on Whatsapp
Learn html css JavaScript python e.t.c, completely FREE for the first one month, click on the link below to join the class
https:///JBaJ1XOPcv6AOs89bie7Uz

Good day, Ominyi, please do you have any on going class for the beginners currently

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of My First Android App (comments And Suggestion Needed) / Bet9ja Naira Adder / Programming Investment- Stutern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.