Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating (7237 Views)

5 Things You Need To Survive In The Real World As A Nigerian Graduate / First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating / 3 Tips Any Graduate Can Use To Land A Job They Want (podcast) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Taiw(m): 7:41pm On Aug 15, 2011
isend me ur cv to my box telltboyz@yahoo.com and lets see how it all goes.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by TeskyMan(m): 8:18pm On Aug 15, 2011
Da Doctor:

[b]@op

Most of us are products of this same country!! But we are trying well and have succeede to some extent

herein nothing comes easy my dear.

My bit of advise?

Dont think education(being a graduate) is the key to success 2 .1 0r 2.2

You just have to look up to God and then make good and calculated efforts.

Most graduates have refused to settle WITH A MEDIUM PAYING JOB. They want to start it big. WRONG MENTALITY THAT NEVER WORKS FOR ALL.

My first salary i remember was just 30k but i took it cos of the experience and today? i cant shout. family wealth or not. as a man i thank GOD.

PLS START SMALL WHILE TRYING TO GET CERTIFICATIONS AND A HIGHER DEGREE BECAUSE BSC IS SO RAMPANT JUST LIKE O LEVEL.

NOW ONE INDUSTRY THAT NEVER STOPS RECRUITING IS THE EDUCATIONAL SECTOR.

Get in and pass your knowledge, saving your time and energy on preparation for the various CV's you have submitted. That way u are not so richa nd not so poor, but u sure would be sufficient. FROM THOS POINT YOU MAKE APPLICATIONS AND I BET YOU IT MAY WORK OUT FOR U![/b]

[size=14pt]This is a bitter truth. I could remember my first Salary was 30k(with wife and a baby boy). You can imagine, earning 30k with a family of 3. Although my wife is a very hard working person but to be sincere I'm a man and I have to stand up to my responsibility, if i were to be addressed as one. It was at this stage I discovered my self. Mind you I have both B.Sc & M.Sc in Economics. After about 1 yr, my salary was increased by 5k that means 35k. Haba!!! man pikin don suffer well well. I thank God that i garnered so much experience to the extent that in the 3rd year I got a fantastic job that requires my exactly skills. Do you want to hear the truth?  I didn't have the qualification as at when I landed the job. What happened was that God covered my ERROR and colored my EFFORT. I can tell you categorically that PRAYER WORKS. It really works wonder. But now, I've got all it takes and despite the economic melt down, i have other offers coming like say na only me sabi do am. I know its God's grace upon my life. I thank God that I picked up the 30k Job. It wasn't easy though.

One thing you must not do is to get BITTER. It is difficult but it works wonder for real. God's time is no man's time - He will only do it at HIS SAID TIME. Did you hear me well? "At the said time". That's when God will do it. You can be the most intelligent person on the surface of the earth. You can be the most brilliant person but the truth is - The race is not to the swift, neither the battle to the strong, but TIME and CHANCE happens to them all. If the race were to be to the swift than WOLE SOYINKA would have been NIGERIAN President since, but no be soooooo.

Start with the little and God will turn the little to become a Thousand.

Don't ever try to DELETE God from your day-to-day equation.

A word they say, ';;;;;;;;;
[/size]
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by vislabraye(m): 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2011
When you pass through hardship, it's usually for a purpose. Most great men have stories to tell. I think you should put in more effort and be persistent.

Some times life isnt fair cos the best doesnt always get the best reward.
Again to show you that our school is archaic.

A computer scientist should be well equiped. But it is not so when when you learn archaic programming language like Basic. . Persist and prayer works
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by toluxa1(m): 8:43pm On Aug 15, 2011
Thanks teskyman and all the people who remembered to remind my dear poster that, rather than being tired of prayers (as she claims), she should pray without ceasing. Maybe its your prayers that made God to lead you in creating this thread. Keep praying and the sky is your limit. I am a final year student of computer science and mathematics, a business oriented person too and right now, Nairaland has helped me to begin to prepare myself for the outside world when I graduate. I already know that I am not going to graduate with an excellent result (as I intended in the beginning - as a result of some factors), but this forum has helped me understand that its not all about your class of degree at all so I am not even bothered (much). I also have great business ideas (mostly IT related - some are not), but time (final year) and capital has not made me to start working on it. But even from this forum, I have extra idea on what to do already.

As silly as Nairaland gets sometimes, with threads like this I see it as a family. There are some threads on Nairaland that are just a bunch load of information (power) and I have taken note of them and saved for future purposes important info.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Noghayin03(m): 9:44pm On Aug 15, 2011
This ís indeed 1 of d best thread av ever come across on Nairaland.A display of honesty and true brotherhood.I pray those who promised to help remember u 2moro.Infact,am beginning to envy u cos am in d same shoes with u.I believe that 1 day we 'll av good cause to rejoice and leap 4 joy.Together we stand!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by ginas: 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2011
amen,
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Geeky(f): 11:17pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ moderator thanks for the change in topic. It is good. @ all who posted their comments and advice, i appreciate lots. I will certainly work on all your advice because i know you got good intentions. @ all who were kind enough to leave their emails, im grateful and would definitely swiftly reply your mails. @ Yamakuza you have proven to be a nairaland brother thanks lots . This all makes me stronger and determined to get there. I hope soon i will be able to support others like you have done here for me. God bless.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by toluxa1(m): 11:43pm On Aug 15, 2011
Remember to update us on developments and beware of scammers
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by menek(m): 12:14pm On Aug 16, 2011
@ poster, are u  the second menek? I've also learnd something new 4rm your thread. Good advice
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by shawonlese: 1:13pm On Aug 16, 2011
Geeky,

If your idea you mentioned earlier is so unique and it will fly, I have an investor who is looking for business to invest in.
It must be stable and capable of generating daily revenue.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Concept(m): 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2011
@ Geeky

And thats just about 10 percent of my skills. I have done a lot online. Addwords, addsence, surveys, even forex. So i never sat down and waited for freebies at any point in my life.

Geeky I can understand how frustrated you are? We sometimes do that when God has not given us the lead. I also attempted suicide before when I was turned back for a teaching job in Nursery and Primary School but you would not believe it what came my way after the scenario. The rest is history, any anger I ought to vent on someone is vented on new discoveries that might seem hard to crack.

I am into forex, I think we can work together but how prepared are you because it is not for people who do not have drive, many times you will fail but you are not quiting. I will give you some combined indicators that you can try on demo until you can analyse the way they work.
Send me your e mail. kt4excellence@gmail.com

I am sorry to say this our leaders have failed us. I weep everyday for that country despite that I am in diaspora. We are better than what we are expose to abroad if we have an organised home. Do not lose hope we will get there.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Concept(m): 3:27pm On Aug 16, 2011
@op

Most of us are products of this same country!! But we are trying well and have succeede to some extent

herein nothing comes easy my dear.

My bit of advise?

Dont think education(being a graduate) is the key to success 2 .1 0r 2.2

You just have to look up to God and then make good and calculated efforts.

Most graduates have refused to settle WITH A MEDIUM PAYING JOB. They want to start it big. WRONG MENTALITY THAT NEVER WORKS FOR ALL.

My first salary i remember was just 30k but i took it cos of the experience and today? i cant shout. family wealth or not. as a man i thank GOD.

PLS START SMALL WHILE TRYING TO GET CERTIFICATIONS AND A HIGHER DEGREE BECAUSE BSC IS SO RAMPANT JUST LIKE O LEVEL.

NOW ONE INDUSTRY THAT NEVER STOPS RECRUITING IS THE EDUCATIONAL SECTOR.

Get in and pass your knowledge, saving your time and energy on preparation for the various CV's you have submitted. That way u are not so richa nd not so poor, but u sure would be sufficient. FROM THOS POINT YOU MAKE APPLICATIONS AND I BET YOU IT MAY WORK OUT FOR U!

TeskyMan:

[size=14pt]This is a bitter truth. I could remember my first Salary was 30k(with wife and a baby boy). You can imagine, earning 30k with a family of 3. Although my wife is a very hard working person but to be sincere I'm a man and I have to stand up to my responsibility, if i were to be addressed as one. It was at this stage I discovered my self. Mind you I have both B.Sc & M.Sc in Economics. After about 1 yr, my salary was increased by 5k that means 35k. Haba!!! man pikin don suffer well well. I thank God that i garnered so much experience to the extent that in the 3rd year I got a fantastic job that requires my exactly skills. Do you want to hear the truth?  I didn't have the qualification as at when I landed the job. What happened was that God covered my ERROR and colored my EFFORT. I can tell you categorically that PRAYER WORKS. It really works wonder. But now, I've got all it takes and despite the economic melt down, i have other offers coming like say na only me sabi do am. I know its God's grace upon my life. I thank God that I picked up the 30k Job. It wasn't easy though.

One thing you must not do is to get BITTER. It is difficult but it works wonder for real. God's time is no man's time - He will only do it at HIS SAID TIME. Did you hear me well? "At the said time". That's when God will do it. You can be the most intelligent person on the surface of the earth. You can be the most brilliant person but the truth is - The race is not to the swift, neither the battle to the strong, but TIME and CHANCE happens to them all. If the race were to be to the swift than WOLE SOYINKA would have been NIGERIAN President since, but no be soooooo.

Start with the little and God will turn the little to become a Thousand.

Don't ever try to DELETE God from your day-to-day equation.

A word they say, ';;;;;;;;;
[/size]

^^^^^^
Nice one! Do you believe that every mistake or effort made that is aborted is a step to new discovery for a discerning mind. Your statement has shown that you have depth, you just need to dig further, you are very close to it.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Marven: 12:22pm On Aug 17, 2011
Simple solution to your challenges!

The bible says that God is the only wise. If you give your life totally to God and get connected to his via Jesus christ, you will become wise. The same bible made us to know that with His knowledge, understanding and wisdom, He made heaven and earth. In the begining, the world was void and empty and God create everythings with His knowledge and wisdom.

So what are you waiting for, go get wisdom and knowledge, but how?

Give your life to Christ,
Read as you've never read before to acquire knwledge - valuable books to your field of specialization.
do things unusual.

We all know that there is no jobs in Nigeria, its an old story so discusing about it is stupidity. We should be talking about how to change this old story.

Doing things in the old same way and expecting new result is another definition of insanity! So do things that you've never done before to show yourself approved then the sky will be your starting point.

Cheers!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by 4wardever(m): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2011
@ OP, My friend will U stop the whining, go dump your c.v in your wardrobe or somewhere THEN go and learn a trade or handwork because that is what will save you and many unemployed and yet to graduate Nigerians right now!!
If you don't know, there are several Nigerians who are in your cherished labour market right now praying and looking for opportunities to get out of it and become self-reliant while you are here lamenting at the un-eveness of things. I so much believe in prayers as a christaian and am not talking ignorantly but
Before you gained admission and even after school, were you not aware of the epileptic situation of things in this country? Now you sit down hear and sulk as if all the people replying this post are doing it from their sky-scrapper glass office! angry
Get of your complaining and go do something for yourself. Mtsheeew!!!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by aribisala0(m): 12:12am On Aug 18, 2011
as far as getting a job and looking after your financial needs go i am not sure what god has to do with it but.,.,.whatever floats your boat .there are many godless people getting good jobs daily.
i sympathize with the kind of desperation that makes you consider prostitution. i know for a fact that most nigerian young women engage iin some form of prostitution so don't be discouraged by sanctimonious hypocrisy .i don't think it is bad or good but it is a risky path and many people doing it struggle with guilt which can stunt your growth .if you go down that path you have to consider the value of the asset and expected life-span.it will depreciate,then what ? if your assets are competitive perhaps you could save enough to chart a new course. or just enough cash to put an advert in a newspaper stating why someone should employ you.

alternatively you might want to
look at your network .are you hanging out with losers ?
consider a career change temporary or permanent
finally i really don't know if you are for real (no disrespect ) but i thought
your  response to one person was over the top and displayed emotional incontinence . no employer wants drama,they are in business to make money and so you need to look at that. in the real world of work your juniors in age may insult you  gratuitously and you must learn to take this in your stride.remember your outbursts may put people off assisting you.
finally leaving school does not mean you stop learning. try and read for hope and inspiration .there is nothing happening to you now that hasn't happened to someone else before .

http://storiesfortrainers.com/mediumstories.aspx

how did they survive .there are scores of books around
and whilst i don't advocate religion AT ALL some parts of the bible/quran are really inspirational ,as of course,are other non-doctrinal sources of verse.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 18, 2011
@ Geeky: can't tell you how glad I am to find someone who thinks. I'm sorry things have been so tough for you, but you'll break out into the sunlight. I think it was a really good move to put this out on such a forum as this because a lot of others will learn they're not the only ones in this strait and be encouraged. I hope all the people who have offered you help will turn out useful to you, but since you sound like your brain works, and maybe you have some faith in God, I'm not worried about anyone succeeding in taking advantage of you and leaving you out in the cold. I expect you'll be fine.
However, my passion is to contribute to turning this situation in Nigeria around and would like to learn as much as possible to enable me do so. Will you help me? I'd like to be able to talk a lot more with you. My email is jlk172003@yahoo.com. I really hope I hear from you. Furthermore, could I ask you to catalog just for yourself what it is you could call assets that you possess, as well as what goals you wish to attain and see if you could work out a plan that starts with where you are and ends with your goals? If you've already done that, see what immediate goals you could set that could lead you on towards the long-term ones you desire. Could you try to limit these immediate goals to the assets you possess currently as well? You'll get where you're going, I'm sure. I look forward to talking more with you.

@ Blank: your first comment was quite thoughtless, but your second was very gracious. It means you're a learning person. That's a real plus in today's world. Wouldn't mind being friends with you at all. I would like you to have my email as well.

@ nna bu ike: everyone's free to speak, sense and nonsense. However, everyone is responsible to speak sensibly. You should try to keep to your place as a limited human. That will help you be useful to other humans God brings your way.

@everyone: I'm glad to see so much interest displayed on this. Pain does bond people powerfully, but if one's attraction to pain is not ultimately for the healing of that which causes it, then he or she is no use to those afflicted by it. May your touch be healing, not hurting.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
Much as I understand the poster's frustration, I have a problem with his temperament.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by wesley80(m): 9:09am On Aug 21, 2011
^^^ She's female. Understand now?
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by JesusDWay(m): 12:08pm On Aug 22, 2011
@Teskyman. That was a good one you had there. Quite refreshing and assuring. More grace upon your life in Jesus name.

@Poster. Please, take this guy's advise, and dont only rely on your natural abilities. I pray you breakthrough one of these days.
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by alphykool(m): 9:56am On Aug 23, 2011
Hi, Geeky,
Your frustration is understandable. Any one that graduate and could not get job immediately will sure understand your frustration. I was once in your position for about 5years. Quite frustrating! However, there is this popular saying "the end justify the means". Even though, you're not competing with anybody. Yes, today, I can tell you am gainfully employed. So, it doesn't matter how long you may have stayed at home looking for job. Yes, I repeat! It doesn't matter. Remain focus and you sure will get a job. Your frustration might be one of the reasons I start my blog on www.ejobsearchtalk.com. Yes, I want to use it as a medium to share my experience and probably see how it could be of help for those that are still searching for job.

Geeky, it might not be easy to convince you now of the possibility of your getting a job, but you don't have to lock-up your mind. Think positively and remain positive, and this will help you to forge ahead. No matter the level of frustration, just try to remain yourself. Your dream job will come. You can read my blog and probably see how it could help, because I'm sure you'll be encouraged.
Thank You!
Alphykool
www.ejobsearchtalk.com
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by TFB(m): 12:24pm On Aug 23, 2011
Dont give up on yourself, problems are actually the answers, have faith and believe that only you can help yourself. Discover purpose!
Re: Life As A Nigerian Graduate Can Be So Frustrating by TFB(m): 12:26pm On Aug 23, 2011
Don't give up on yourself, problems are actually the answers. Have faith and believe that only you can help yourself. Discover purpose!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Geography Graduates Lets Meet Here / Stanbic-IBTC Bank On A Sacking Spree! / 1,500 Nigerians Lose Jobs In Julius Berger Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.