Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,513 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech (1600 Views)

The Tech Bro Pandemic ! They Are So Annoying ! / Transition To Tech, It's Worth It! / My Journey To Tech From The Streets Of Lagos To The Corporate America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 9:09pm On Sep 11, 2022
So in 2020 I made a scary career switch, I transitioned to Tech after 4+ years of working as a Fitness Trainer, yes I was working as a fitness trainer and decided to switch to tech. Big jump, isn’t it?

If you check my profile here, you’ll see where I was advising people about how to build muscle and all back in the days.

Here are some of the things I think you should consider if you are planning to make this type of move.

Decide the tech path you want to pursue : Truth be told, there are a lot of fields in tech, and that was my first struggle when I wanted to switch to tech. Today, I will say I want to learn data science, tomorrow I will switch up and say I want to learn frontend. All these confusions can be averted if you decide beforehand what field you’re going into and save yourself unneeded headache. And believe me, it can be difficult getting into it.

After you have decided on what field to focus, let’s assume you choose to write code, you have to now decide:

What programming language to learn: This one is another huddle that needs to be crossed, and it’s a difficult one at that matter. I have seen someone who struggled and learned how to program and can’t seem to find any Job for the programming language because people have moved on from the language he learned.
When in doubt of what programming language to learn, learn Python or JavaScript.

What if coding is not your thing, but you still want to work within the tech space?
Well, you have to first still decide what field you want to play in, it can be Product Management, or project management, UIUX it could be legal even, could be marketing.

There are a lot of fields in tech you can start with.

Next, choose your learning path: There are 2 learning paths for switching into tech from a different background.

Self-taught path : [/b]This part is you learning on your own, It has its pros and cons.

[b]Go through an academy:
There are a lot of programming schools out there these days, you can join one of them. This also has its pros and cons too.

Getting your first job in tech is another huddle to cross, and it’s no jokes, there are lots of opportunities out there, but you have to know how to position yourself to benefit from them.

These are the steps I believe anyone who is currently working can take to get into tech.

I know I didn’t go so much into details for each of them, and that’s because it will make a full book and a lot of people will not be able to read that kind of long article.

I wrote a book detailing the points and mentioned here and even more in my book, if you check my profile, you’ll see a link to the book.

In this book for example I detailed how you can leverage your existing knowledge in your current field to make your switch even faster.

The book goes for a token for the amount of info it has, so if you want, you can check my profile to get access to the book.

If you have questions, I will be more than happy to answer them.

God bless.

For those that will think I am lying, you can go check my profile on LinkedIn using Uyanwune Chukwuebuka.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by fman(m): 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2022
U just transited and u wan come dey give advice to tech guys here wt 5- 9years of proven experience and expertise in tech.
Kudos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2022
fman:
U just transited and u wan come dey give advice to tech guys here wt 5- 9years of proven experience and expertise in tech.
Kudos

It's obvious you didn't read the post.

My advise is for people who want to transit and not people with experience.

I figured a lot of people come here asking questions on how to transit and I felt I can share from my experience.

Read to understand next time and not to reply.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by fman(m): 9:54pm On Sep 11, 2022

Whatever!
There are threads for that.
You can just share your views via the comment section.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 9:59pm On Sep 11, 2022
fman:

Whatever!
There are threads for that.
You can just share your views via the comment section.

Which is easier to do? Go from post to post saying the same thing or have the post in one place?

Bro I am not here to argue with you, first it was that I don't have experience now, it's I should have posted it somewhere else.

What exactly is your problem?

You can give your advise where you want and allow another adult to do his.

Have a good night.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Edipet(m): 10:17pm On Sep 11, 2022
Greatchidozie:
So in 2020 I made a scary career switch, I transitioned to Tech after 4+ years of working as a Fitness Trainer, yes I was working as a fitness trainer and decided to switch to tech. Big jump, isn’t it?

If you check my profile here, you’ll see where I was advising people about how to build muscle and all back in the days.

Here are some of the things I think you should consider if you are planning to make this type of move.

Decide the tech path you want to pursue : Truth be told, there are a lot of fields in tech, and that was my first struggle when I wanted to switch to tech. Today, I will say I want to learn data science, tomorrow I will switch up and say I want to learn frontend. All these confusions can be averted if you decide beforehand what field you’re going into and save yourself unneeded headache. And believe me, it can be difficult getting into it.

After you have decided on what field to focus, let’s assume you choose to write code, you have to now decide:

What programming language to learn: This one is another huddle that needs to be crossed, and it’s a difficult one at that matter. I have seen someone who struggled and learned how to program and can’t seem to find any Job for the programming language because people have moved on from the language he learned.
When in doubt of what programming language to learn, learn Python or JavaScript.

What if coding is not your thing, but you still want to work within the tech space?
Well, you have to first still decide what field you want to play in, it can be Product Management, or project management, UIUX it could be legal even, could be marketing.

Next, choose your learning path: There are 2 learning paths for switching into tech from a different background.

Self-taught path : [/b]This part is you learning on your own, It has its pros and cons.

There are a lot of programming schools out there these days, you can join one of them. This also has its pros and cons too.

Getting your first job in tech is another huddle to cross, and it’s no jokes, there are lots of opportunities out there, but you have to know how to position yourself to benefit from them.

These are the steps I believe anyone who is currently working can take to get into tech.

I know I didn’t go so much into details for each of them, and that’s because it will make a full book and a lot of people will not be able to read that kind of long article.

I wrote a book detailing the points and mentioned here and even more in my book, if you check my profile, you’ll see a link to the book.

In this book for example I detailed how you can leverage your existing knowledge in your current field to make your switch even faster.

The book goes for a token for the amount of info it has, so if you want, you can check my profile to get access to the book.

God bless.

For those that will think I am lying, you can go check my profile on LinkedIn using Uyanwune Chukwuebuka.
the bolded is what is happening to me.. and am still struggling von which laptop to buy... I have visited a laptop shop for about 4 days, couple with online search
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2022
Edipet:
the bolded is what is happening to me.. and am still struggling von which laptop to buy... I have visited a laptop shop for about 4 days, couple with online search

Hey man,
I am glad you found this post helpful.

I will advise generally you get any laptop that has at least 8GB ram, and 250GB disk.

If you have the money the hard disk should be SSD,this will give you good experience when using the laptop.

I got a laptop from a guy on this nairaland and the laptop is very nice.

I will check him out and post here, I have forgotten the name.

If you don't have the money to get the specifics I mentioned earlier, then you can go for a 4gb ram and HDD disk.

But you might not have a very good experience with the laptop.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Kvngfrosh(m): 10:38pm On Sep 11, 2022
Edipet:
Pick a good laptop and move on.

1 Like

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 11:14pm On Sep 11, 2022
Edipet:

I just checked now, the guy I got the laptop from is mayorall, you can search his profile and see what he has at the moment.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Sleekcode: 11:19pm On Sep 11, 2022
Greatchidozie:

It's obvious you didn't read the post.

I figured a lot of people come here asking questions on how to transit and I felt I can share from my experience.

Read to understand next time and not to reply.

Stop wasting your time replying the minion called fman

This thread wasn't created for people like him so try avoid reply him.

Try replying only those who it was meant for and not negative people who will make u regret why u created the thread

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 11:30pm On Sep 11, 2022
Sleekcode:

Stop wasting your time replying the minion called fman

Try replying only those who it was meant for and not negative people who will make u regret why u created the thread

Thanks SleekCode.

The thing be wan vex me but I reminded myself it's his insecurity that is dealing with him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by fman(m): 11:31pm On Sep 11, 2022
Sleekcode:

Daftness and mediocrity reeks in your cheap mention.
If u where smart, u wouldn't have mentioned me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by fman(m): 11:38pm On Sep 11, 2022
Greatchidozie:

Thanks SleekCode.

The thing be wan vex me but I reminded myself it's his insecurity that is dealing with him.
Typical Nigerian.
Cheap talks, unprofessionalism and mediocrity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Kvngfrosh(m): 2:06am On Sep 12, 2022
Greatchidozie:

God bless.

In other words, you are marketing an ebook ?

5 Likes

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Sleekcode: 2:47am On Sep 12, 2022
fman:

Daftness and mediocrity reeks in your cheap mention.
If u where smart, u wouldn't have mentioned me.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by JesusKreist: 6:09am On Sep 12, 2022
Greatchidozie:

No too dey follow wetin people dey reply for here. Almost everyone wants to be the smart detective. Sha, as a fellow tech bro, I dey support your hustle.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 6:34am On Sep 12, 2022
Kvngfrosh:
In other words, you are marketing an ebook ?

Yes I am, but the first aim is not the book.
The book was actually born out of lots of questions people ask me and I can't write everything in that book here as it will be unnecessary long.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by MindHacker9009(m): 7:24am On Sep 12, 2022
The title should be: How I Changed To Selling E-Books for Those Wanting To Change Career To Tech

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by KINGSATANREBORN: 8:12am On Sep 12, 2022
You’re no different from Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 8:42am On Sep 12, 2022
For those of you that thinks this is just about getting people to buy the ebook, I have no words for you.

I added my LinkedIn profile for those that think I am here to hustle people to survive.

I have a good paying job and if you want to make a career change but don't want to invest in getting a guide to help you do that, I wish you all the best.

But if you need a detailed plan on how to get started and you're will to invest in that future be my guest.

Why do I charge if I have a good paying job you'll ask. Simple answer is I invested time and effort writing that and took time to research the topic.

This is my last response to the criticism.

This book is targeted to people who wants change and are committed to making that happen.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by tosinhtml: 10:49am On Sep 12, 2022
Greatchidozie:
For those of you that thinks this is just about getting people to buy the ebook, I have no words for you.

I added my LinkedIn profile for those that think I am here to hustle people to survive.

I have a good paying job and if you want to make a career change but don't want to invest in getting a guide to help you do that, I wish you all the best.

But if you need a detailed plan on how to get started and you're will to invest in that future be my guest.

Why do I charge if I have a good paying job you'll ask. Simple answer is I invested time and effort writing that and took time to research the topic.

This book is targeted to people who wants change and are committed to making that happen.

I just checked your Linkedin profile now and can't find the book, you should have just added a link to the book to your post. Just drop the links so people can see it.

Edit: Okay seen the book, It was added to your Nairaland profile.

You should give us a glimpse of one of two pages of the book, the same way Amazon books allow readers to see a page or two. Just to get the feel of what to expect.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Immunity1555: 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2022
Do Not Delay Your Dreams any longer!
Learn some Tech skills today that will land you a high-paying role in any part of the world.
From Beginner Stage, to Intermediate Stage and Advanced Stage.
All the Stages (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced) are well structured. You will be assign to a well-trained and experienced Facilitators and Mentors that would guide you from one Stage to Another, where you will learn skill, gain experience and gain exposure. You will be working with real-life projects, you can get paid while learning the skills, you will also be linked with international career packaging and work with Global start-up.
There's a better internet service and co-working space.
We have the following learning paths(from Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced) that you can choose: Project Management, Frontend Development/Mobile App, Backend,Ui/Ux, Digital Marketing, Graphic Design, Devops/Cloud Dev, MySQL, PHP, Phyton and many more.
All that can be archieve at Bincom Global Tech Program.
To learn more and register,click this link:https://www.bincom.net/globaltech

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by qtguru(m): 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2022
Greatchidozie:

I think adding what type of Tech field you transitioned into will help, saying Tech generally doesn't help pinpoint what you could be talking about.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by DrBrainstorm(m): 8:39pm On Sep 12, 2022
So how much is your ebook? grin

1 Like

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by AustainoPatrick(m): 11:08pm On Sep 12, 2022
Greatchidozie:

God bless.

I think people wanted to hear a detailed story of your transition and the advice can come later after your advice .

I was disappointed though !!
because na ur story I come read, It motivates more.

2 Likes

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2022
tosinhtml:

I just checked your Linkedin profile now and can't find the book, you should have just added a link to the book to your post. Just drop the links so people can see it.

Edit: Okay seen the book, It was added to your Nairaland profile.

You should give us a glimpse of one of two pages of the book, the same way Amazon books allow readers to see a page or two. Just to get the feel of what to expect.

Sorry I didn't reply on time.

I actually wanted to give share the first chapter of the book for free but the platform I am selling on doesn't allow such.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 11:24am On Sep 13, 2022
AustainoPatrick:

I think people wanted to hear a detailed story of your transition and the advice can come later after your advice .

I was disappointed though !!
because na ur story I come read, It motivates more.

Well that would have been long, my intention was to share the first chapter of the book for free which covered my story but the platform I have the book on doesn't have that.

When I have the time this week I will get upload it to a Google drive and share the link here.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 11:26am On Sep 13, 2022
qtguru:

I think adding what type of Tech field you transitioned into will help, saying Tech generally doesn't help pinpoint what you could be talking about.

I want to assume you don't have tech experience because if you do, you'll know there are hundreds of tech fields.

And this book is not teaching you any specific tech skills.

It's just pointing you to all the different options you have in the tech space.

I have a chapter in the book detailing more than 20 tech fields and I also detailed a clearly road map for it too.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by qtguru(m): 11:57am On Sep 13, 2022
Greatchidozie:

I want to assume you don't have tech experience because if you do, you'll know there are hundreds of tech fields.

And this book is not teaching you any specific tech skills.

It's just pointing you to all the different options you have in the tech space.

I have a chapter in the book detailing more than 20 tech fields and I also detailed a clearly road map for it too.

I'm only asking what field you successfully entered. I don't need Tech experience to be interested in your success. Why read about other fields when I can follow what you did.
Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by qtguru(m): 12:05pm On Sep 13, 2022
Also I say with no jest or trying to attack you. I was just curious about your transition and what field. And I think that helps give us an idea, e.g I do Spring boot for business ideas because I saw it on your profile. Easier to know when you're coming from.

I hope this makes sense

2 Likes

Re: From Fitness Trainer To Tech Bro... How I Made Career Switch To Tech by Greatchidozie(m): 12:50pm On Sep 13, 2022
qtguru:
Also I say with no jest or trying to attack you. I was just curious about your transition and what field. And I think that helps give us an idea, e.g I do Spring boot for business ideas because I saw it on your profile. Easier to know when you're coming from.

I hope this makes sense

I know you weren't making any jest that's why I replied.

Just trying to let you know that the book isn't just about teaching people about my tech field.

But showing them other playing ground within tech they can explore.

Like I promised, I will make available the first chapter of the book for free and share by weekend.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Knows Phone Programming? / Becoming A Database Administrator. / Need Help Finding An Inventory Control And Management Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.