Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,624 members, 7,827,333 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. (8970 Views)

Lalong Gives Ex-Governor Jang Two Weeks To Return “Stolen Money” / Jang Appoints Son, Others Special Advisers / Gunmen Attack Governor Jang’s Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by knightride: 1:45pm On Aug 11, 2011
Nigerians Can Really be Gullible.
How can any well meaning Nigerian support such a move?
In fact I am really surprised.

Kudos to all who stand against injustice!
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by tushutt(m): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2011
baslone:

I don't want to hear you complaining about the Saraki Family.

This is another example of how it all starts. In the US they lead, in

Nigeria we loot! Please Nigeria is everything different from the US.

typical nigerian thinking im sure they dont loot in the US grin grin
An average politician is corrupt by nature and has the tendency to loot the only difference btw nigeria and other advanced states is that they are still patriotic and care about their country unlike our pot-bellied leaders undecided
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by tushutt(m): 1:57pm On Aug 11, 2011
obowunmi:

wow --- slap in the face.  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Politics is not your personal business. This is not a private company.

So as long as you occupy a political office your family members should be ostracized from political offices angry
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by tpia5: 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2011
Well, the problem is it could be setting a dangerous precedent in Nigeria.

The situation is already bad enough as it is, with people needing connections before they can get good jobs, etc.

However, jang`s action isnt intrinsically wrong per se, especially in a troubled zone like jos.

It depends on how responsible the son is, i suppose. If he's a level headed type then it might not be so bad. But if he has an unsavoury character then he might end up causing more problems for the father and the state govt.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by marabout(m): 2:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
This is shocking. if this is the way so-called younger generation think, then no hope.
In a massively corropt place like ours, people think it's ok to appoint your children and in-laws into public offices.
Then you guys should stop your sanctimonious garbage here on NL  and stop criticising Obj, Ibb, Mr fix-it, Ibori, Miss DSP Alams, Danjuma, Ette, Bank-ole etc.

IT SHOWS most of those here would do something similar or worse if given the chance.

Maybe IBB ACTUALLY KNOWS  his countrymen more that most people and may be right in asserting that the younger generations are no better than the older ones. Afterall there is probably nobody else in Nigerian history that has bribed as many people (from all tribes, faiths and age groups)as IBB, so he should know.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by tpia5: 2:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
On the other hand, if people are appointing their mistresses to govt positions, then why cant someone appoint his son?
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by marabout(m): 2:16pm On Aug 11, 2011
tpia,

two wrongs does not make a right. we should be stopping abuse of power and open nepotism always and not use one to justify the other.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by richard69(m): 2:18pm On Aug 11, 2011
ud byron[1]:

thats a nice dad
Thanks my brother, all you critic would do worse if you were in his shoes.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Gbenge77(m): 2:20pm On Aug 11, 2011
Interesting.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by marabout(m): 2:23pm On Aug 11, 2011
it appears people have given up hope of ever having a decent system in Nigeria, so they think just about anything should be acceptable.

Shame really.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by tpia5: 2:24pm On Aug 11, 2011
Marabout

what he did isnt intrinsically wrong or intrisincally right per se.

Neither is he the first to do such.

The problem which i pointed out is in the nigerian setting where you need connections in order to advance. People who have none shouldnt be left to remain that way.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by omaojo1: 2:26pm On Aug 11, 2011
Not a bad idea ideally but with nigeria where greed is every politician's first name I don't trust.

I strongly believe it is to prepare him to be used to governance and maybe push him thru to be de gov tomorrow.

Time will reveal the vanity in this whole move.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Gift4all(m): 2:39pm On Aug 11, 2011
This is a Gov who has been accused of nepotism. The people of Plateau use to accuse him of Berom agenda, until later when the Berom people started complaining that not all of them were benefiting from the Gov, but the people of his village, Du. What started as Berom (tribe) agenda was later turned to Du (village) agenda and now it has become a family affair. It is not funny at all.

The Plateau state Polytechnic has been on strike for almost a year. Some were even say the Gov. does not care about education because his all his children dropped out of school, none completed his/her tertiary education. I hope this one is educated now!
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Honeycity(f): 2:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
isn't that dang too old for that post  undecided
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Ojumiii(m): 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2011
i can't really tell, just move the state forward that is my main consine
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by baslone: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2011
tushutt:

typical nigerian thinking im sure they dont loot in the US grin grin
An average politician is corrupt by nature and has the tendency to loot the only difference btw nigeria and other advanced states is that they are still patriotic and care about their country unlike our pot-bellied leaders undecided

If you care about your country, you won't loot!

Some foreign leaders get corrupted when they find themselves in the position they can get away with looting. They hardly seek office with the intention to loot.

In Nigeria we buy, fight and slaughter our political enemies on our way to office with only one thing in mind which is to Steal!!!!

Is that the way it is also practiced in your advanced states. I'm talking reality here,you are there twisting grammar!!

Abegggiiii!  shocked
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Anvaller: 3:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
tpia@:

On the other hand, if people are appointing their mistresses to govt positions, then why cant someone appoint his son?

LOL, I really feel this comment, concise with many meaning. We know them. I think it will be the in-thing in the current political dispensation.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by tlops(m): 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2011
double looting barrel,

On one hand its good, to expose his children to politics, hopefully a good polity.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by harmeenut: 3:15pm On Aug 11, 2011
Government of the father by the son and for the family grin grin grin Naija's version of definition of democracy
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by chuckdee4(m): 3:19pm On Aug 11, 2011
A clear conflict of interest here, who's to say that his son will not get preferential treatment over other advisers.

This is pretty much standard, family and business do not mix, unless it was some other authority that appointed his son.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by richardoz(m): 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2011
Good for him.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by olawalebabs(m): 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2011
I can't laugh, but is the child qualify in the first instance?
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by basadenet: 3:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
edoyad:

[size=18pt]president John F. kennedy who still remains one of US most loved leaders, appointed his younger brother, Robert F Kennedy as Attorney General if i'm not mistaken. He was also his most trusted adviser.[/size]

But as for Jang own, me i no gree at all. This is a bad precedent and i know this is the opening of a Pandora's box we won't see the end of.  I commend him for having very few Special Advisers sha.

In Nigeria is another ball game entirely. Treasury looting will continue unabated. Does the Governor  has credibility at all? May be he is trying to position his son for the next Governorship Seat of the state.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by sonyvaio(f): 3:26pm On Aug 11, 2011
Ghadafi appointed his sons as head of the army, intelligence agency, state run oil company.  grin grin grin
I do not recommend this for Naija

Anyway, this is not new in Naija
Mimiko appointed his brother as Vice chancellor of the state university.
Agagu appointed his brother to a position I cannot remember.
There was a gist Ohakim's son occupied "office of the first son" (not confirmed)
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by zoks(m): 3:28pm On Aug 11, 2011
I think that is a classical case of conflict of interest.I am not disregarding the probability of the guy being qualified for that office but he could have still had the same measure of influence without a portfolio in government.Hillary Clinton never had a cabinet position in her husband's administration but she was easily the most influential person at the White House.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Ayoobscom(m): 3:30pm On Aug 11, 2011
Then the daughters too should be warming up not for football match but a sensitive position in his cabinet

O ga o!
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Natudu: 3:30pm On Aug 11, 2011
Certain actions are just downright morally wrong. Conflict of interest is what they call it.
I still doubt the authenticity of the gist anyway.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 11, 2011
Natudu:

Certain actions are just downright morally wrong. Conflict of interest is what they call it.
I still doubt the authenticity of the gist anyway.
Oh! my brother the news is true. It's also in the Vanguard if you doubt the credibility of this piece of news.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by BigMeat2: 3:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
Can anyone please explain what are the roles and responsibilities of 'Special Duties' within the areas of the Federal and State government.
I'm still trying to understand what type of special duties is been covered here.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Solozzo(m): 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2011
it is ethically wrong because of conflict of interest between doing a state job and serving his father's interest. Would have been a bit better if he was made a commissioner of a ministry of his skills and interest rather than post Of a adviser to his father. Just like Clinton's wife Hillary served in the department of health when her husband was president of the USA
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by N101: 4:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
John F Kennedy appointed his brother Attorney General who no doubt had to be qualified for the job AND be approved via a committee.

In this case, what exactly does a "Special Adviser on Special Duties" do?  It sounds like a vague position with no particular qualifications necessary.
Re: Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. by Demdem(m): 4:10pm On Aug 11, 2011
i honestly dont av any issue with it in as much as he is qualified. what catches my attention though is the portfolio. Adviser on special duties, hmmmmnnnn, interesting  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do I Hate Nigeria So Much? / What's Happening To EFCC? / Boko Haram: Over 20 Specialized Bomb Detective Dogs Deployed To North East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.