Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Origin Of Ifa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Ifa (18464 Views)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 12:19pm On Aug 11, 2011
Dear all,

i seek the attention of an understanding person to put me through my question,

How did Ifa originate?

like sango, sango is a man who lived as a powerful person and after his death people adopted him as a religion and source of communicating to their god to get their wishes,

Now to ifa, How did ifa originate, and where? how did they come about the opan ifa they use and the opele,

need your attention,
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2011
?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 12:01pm On Aug 13, 2011
Sango was a ruler of Oyo empire and was later deified after death.

On Ifa and its origin, I am of the opinion that it originated as one of the secrets given by God to Noah in the template handed down for the Ark.

Ask Pastor AIO, I'm sure he has a different and more specific origin to reference.

Like I said what I gave you is just my opinion and is formed from my understanding of the Torah, Bible and the Quran.

Ifa was with mankind before Abraham (AS) was even born, I said to clarify any thought of believing Ifa was derived from any of the scriptures. It existed before them!

Matter of fact some of the rituals of Ifa is also present in Islam as well as Judaism.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ifa by Pukkah: 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2011
What are some of the Ifa rituals that are in Islam and Judaism please?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2011
Since there are no practicing Jews in Nigeria I can give the Islamic perspective.

Are you quite familiar with Islamic rituals?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Booshman(m): 5:34am On Aug 14, 2011
Pukkah:

What are some of the Ifa rituals that are in Islam and Judaism please?

I think he (Negro_Nts) is referring to sand divination. That's the only thing I can think off of the top of my head. While both Islam and Ifa have sand diviniation, Islam uses a base 10 method, where as Ifa uses a base 2 method. The latter creating the very foundation of the modern computer programming code called "Beta". Instead of "long and short" symbols in Ifa, Beta uses the numbers 0 and 1.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 2:05am On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Sango was a ruler of Oyo empire and was later deified after death.

On Ifa and its origin, I am of the opinion that it originated as one of the secrets given by God to Noah in the template handed down for the Ark.

Ask Pastor AIO, I'm sure he has a different and more specific origin to reference.

Like I said what I gave you is just my opinion and is formed from my understanding of the Torah, Bible and the Quran.

Ifa was with mankind before Abraham (AS) was even born, I said to clarify any thought of believing Ifa was derived from any of the scriptures. It existed before them!

Matter of fact some of the rituals of Ifa is also present in Islam as well as Judaism. 

So Yorubas are Jews now? shocked Lmao!
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 12:09pm On Aug 15, 2011
Chyz,

It is easy for people to quickly jump to conclusion that if you talk about Noah, Abraham or Afro-Asia or Middle East, then you are talking about Jews.

Unless the claim is explicit, you can't conclude as such.

Yorubas are proto-Semitic, not Jews, not Arabs, but a member of the Semitic roots.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 12:48pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Chyz,

It is easy for people to quickly jump to conclusion that if you talk about Noah, Abraham or Afro-Asia or Middle East, then you are talking about Jews.

Unless the claim is explicit, you can't conclude as such.

Yorubas are proto-Semitic, not Jews, not Arabs, but a member of the Semitic roots.

That's complete nonsense. Its clear you people dont know where you're from. I thought you all said the world began at Ife? There's no proto-semitic, either you are or you're not. Some time ago one of you claim Yorubas were from an oriental background,lol. You dont know where yo're from and your so-called, Oba cant agree on that either. Seems to me you people came from different place and if thats not the case, you just dont know where you're from,period. wink
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 1:26pm On Aug 15, 2011
The Yoruba in Nigeria is a commonwealth of Nations. A race of people with roots in Afro Asia.

Ijesha, Awori, Egba, Edo, Itsekiri.

Yoruba is the umbrella or the aggregator of the different nations.

There are also others in Yorubaland who are of indigenous roots but trhough war and conquest became tributaries of Yorubaland.

The Yorubas of today contain the nations of Egba, Ijebu, Itsekiri, Edo, Ajashe, Ilaje, Ijesha, and so on.

For example, the Ijebus are Canaanites of old. The Edos are also Canaanites. The Oyos are Kushites of Old and so is Ife the Kushites of old.

There are several independent researchers, none of them with any personal interest in Yoruba who have clearly said that Yoruba is an Afro Asia root. Even a former Caliph (Sultan) of Sokoto even wrote a book in which he clarified it.

You are correct there are many Yorubas who do not know the history and need to know. So I'm glad that they are here to learn it.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 1:39pm On Aug 15, 2011
still need more info, the facts i need is who is ifa, a man or what? how did he start? where was he born if he his a man, how did he get the OPAN IFA,OPELE and so on,
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2011
Opan Ifa and Opele are the tools and instruments of divination.

I want to say that the Yoruba we speak today has roots in old Hebrew language.
So its my suspicion that Ifa is either a shortened form of an otherwise lengthy old Hebrew term or a adulterated one
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Pukkah: 2:56pm On Aug 15, 2011
Booshman:

I think he (Negro_Nts) is referring to sand divination. That's the only thing I can think off of the top of my head. While both Islam and Ifa have sand diviniation, Islam uses a base 10 method, where as Ifa uses a base 2 method. The latter creating the very foundation of the modern computer programming code called "Beta". Instead of "long and short" symbols in Ifa, Beta uses the numbers 0 and 1.

But some claim that sand divination is not Islamic, it's probably Arabic though. undecided
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 3:26pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

The Yoruba in Nigeria is a commonwealth of Nations. A race of people with roots in Afro Asia.

Ijesha, Awori, Egba, Edo, Itsekiri.

Yoruba is the umbrella or the aggregator of the different nations.

There are also others in Yorubaland who are of indigenous roots but trhough war and conquest became tributaries of Yorubaland.

The Yorubas of today contain the nations of Egba, Ijebu, Itsekiri, Edo, Ajashe, Ilaje, Ijesha, and so on.

For example, the Ijebus are Canaanites of old. The Edos are also Canaanites. The Oyos are Kushites of Old and so is Ife the Kushites of old.

There are several independent researchers, none of them with any personal interest in Yoruba who have clearly said that Yoruba is an Afro Asia root. Even a former Caliph (Sultan) of Sokoto even wrote a book in which he clarified it.

You are correct there are many Yorubas who do not know the history and need to know. So I'm glad that they are here to learn it.

Stop adding Edo. Speak for your own people. Its funny how you say that the people called "Yoruba" today dont know their own history but you do,lol. I guess you are the progenitor. Yorubas were never one. Dont you forget that. Yoruba is not a race and never will be one. It's also a shame how you regard a sultan of sokoto's words of orgination of some of your people and rubbish the beliefs of orgination that your people came up with. Sounds like an inferiority complex to me. A fulani man knows "your" history better than you.In fact, you might as well say he knows your history and you dont. cheesy
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 3:46pm On Aug 15, 2011
Edo is clearly a Yoruba nation.

On the rest of what you wrote, that's your opinion, feel free to express it.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Edo is clearly a Yoruba nation.

On the rest of what you wrote, that's your opinion, feel free to express it.

Edo will NEVER be yoruba anything! angry

How did Anioma, Urhobo, Isoko, Bini, Esan,Etsako because Yoruba? lol. . .

Yoruba have even gone as far as to start there history based on the coming of an Edo man, Oduduwa. Can you tell me the meaning of Oduduwa in your language? I can in mine.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2011
You have to go by three fators.

1. Language
2. Customs and rituals
3. In accordance with customs, early Bini Kings were buried in Ife.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

1. Language
2. Customs and rituals

Yea lets go by those. Early Bini kings were NEVER buried in Ife. This is a lie thrown out by your shameless people because of an inferiority complex to the rich Benin Kingdom. As for language, come on son, even Igbo have more in common with the bini language than Yoruba does,lol. Customs and rituals? Dont make me laugh. The people they call "Yoruba" today dont even have a homogenous culture. grin

I couldnt care less about Yoruba culture, just dont bring Edo into,k? wink
Re: Origin Of Ifa by tpia5: 5:07pm On Aug 15, 2011
Since kwara people (who were originally oyo proper) tend to say fa with every sentence, maybe the etymology of the word ifa should start from there.

Just guessing and just hypothesis not set in stone.

Of course the pronunciation is different but sometimes yoruba words play on syllables that way.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Pukkah: 5:09pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

1. Language
2. Customs and rituals

I suggest you stay on the topic of this thread and resist the temptation to give in to rude distractions.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Pukkah: 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2011
tpia@:

Since kwara people (who were originally oyo proper) tend to say fa with every sentence, maybe the etymology of the word ifa should start from there.

Just guessing and just hypothesis not set in stone.

Of course the pronunciation is different but sometimes yoruba words play on syllables that way.

Is this common to Kwara people or just the Ilorins? Whichever the case is, it doesn't appear that it has anything to do with Ifa.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by tpia5: 5:35pm On Aug 15, 2011
Well, no harm in finding out what the etymology of "fa" is.

Plus they were the original oyos and still speak the language.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by tpia5: 5:36pm On Aug 15, 2011
Though some parts are more ekiti than oyo, i agree.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2011
Edo is Yoruba.

You are Ibo, your sense and knowledge of heritage is pegged to language usage, which is a commonality across broad cultural backgrounds. The people you call Ibo today are those whose ancetral language were at one time Yoruba, Ibibo, Ijaw, Idoma and so on. Their unification under the Ibo grouping was cosmopolitan and not indigenous. For that reason your tribe is a little of everybody else's heritage. You are a contribution or a complement, in you everyone see a drop of their customs and heritage.

Yorubas use of language on the other hand is spiritual and has not departed from its roots which is old Hebrew, the language in which the Old Testament (Torah) was written. Matter of fact, the New Testament (Gospel) was also written in it.

When in 1850 Bishop Ajayi Crowther translated the English Bible to Yoruba, he contemplated using the "Ajami" (a literary style of writing shared among Semitic tongues but popularized in Islam) for the Yoruba version.

Yoruba language has stood on its own and survived through the ages, where other tongues have perished and lost to the times.

Ifa survived in Americas because its oral tradition was communicated in Yoruba language. If it had been in Engish it would have perished with the vagaries of slavery.

The language we call Yoruba is truly Old Hebrew. The ancestor of the Edos (Edomites) was the older brother of Jacob (later called Israel and the ancestor of the Children of Israel). They also spoke old Hebrew.

Through this analogy hopefully you will understand that language usage in Yorubaland is different from language usage in Iboland and when I say Yoruba and Edo are the same, their spirituality is tied together in customs, heritage and history, both are of old Hebrew.

On the burial of Bini kings in Ife, is it also a lie that early Lagos kings are buried in Bini?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2011
Pukkah,

You are correct and I will follow that advice. If I have to stray I will be sure that I hook the diverting branch into the topic.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 5:50pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

[s]Edo is Yoruba.

You are Ibo, your sense and knowledge of heritage is pegged to language usage, which is a commonality across broad cultural backgrounds. The people you call Ibo today are those whose ancetral language were at one time Yoruba, Ibibo, Ijaw, Idoma and so on. Their unification under the Ibo grouping was cosmopolitan and not indigenous. For that reason your tribe is a little of everybody else's heritage. You are a contribution or a complement, in you everyone see a drop of their customs and heritage.

Yorubas use of language on the other hand is spiritual and has not departed from its roots which is old Hebrew, the language in which the Old Testament (Torah) was written. Matter of fact, the New Testament (Gospel) was also written in it.

When in 1850 Bishop Ajayi Crowther translated the English Bible to Yoruba, he contemplated using the "Ajami" (a literary style of writing shared among Semitic tongues but popularized in Islam) for the Yoruba version.

Yoruba language has stood on its own and survived through the ages, where other tongues have perished and lost to the times.

Ifa survived in Americas because its oral tradition was communicated in Yoruba language. If it had been in Engish it would have perished with the vagaries of slavery.

The language we call Yoruba is truly Old Hebrew. The ancestor of the Edos (Edomites) was the older brother of Jacob (later called Israel and the ancestor of the Children of Israel). They also spoke old Hebrew.

Through this analogy hopefully you will understand that language usage in Yorubaland is different from language usage in Iboland and when I say Yoruba and Edo are the same, their spirituality is tied together in customs, heritage and history, both are of old Hebrew. [/s] On the burial of Bini kings in Ife, is it also a lie that early Lagos kings are buried in Bini?

Bullshit, Gbosa!!! cheesy
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 6:00pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

On the burial of Bini kings in Ife, is it also a lie that early Lagos kings are buried in Bini?

Do you hear yourself,lol? You just said that your previous claim of Bini kings having burials in Ife is a lie! LMAO! cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy Dummy[i][/i]!

Also, it is a known fact that the former kings and king of Lagos are of Bini ancestry(they are Bini)!
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 6:03pm On Aug 15, 2011
Lmao!

Chyz, was that your head hitting the wall? Please don't hurt yourself, this is nothing more that knowledge sharing.

Oh, you know what I forgot, to add that the draft of a book submitted by Bishop Crowther to the CMS for their help with its publication was reported lost by Oyiboman. In that book, the Bishop had outlined in specifics and connected the Yoruba people to their roots in Afro Asia.

One has to wonder why he was interested in such endeavor. For someone who was sold into slavery and but for the Grace of God would have remained permanently disconnected and lost from his people and culture and heritage, it was a personal challenge to see how far back in history he can actually go to the root of the culture he knew as Yoruba.

In the 1800s, English language has not been rooted as our tongue.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2011
You said my claim that "early Bini kings were buried in Ife" was a lie.

So I'm asking you that if that was a lie, how would you classify the claim that "early Lagos kings were buried in Bini"?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by hadg33(m): 6:16pm On Aug 15, 2011
Chyz*:

Bullshit, Gbosa!!! cheesy

@Chyz,not bullshit,you should try and learn from him
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 7:28pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Lmao!

Chyz, was that your head hitting the wall? Please don't hurt yourself, this is nothing more that knowledge sharing.

Oh, you know what I forgot, to add that the draft of a book submitted by Bishop Crowther to the CMS for their help with its publication was reported lost by Oyiboman. In that book, the Bishop had outlined in specifics and connected the Yoruba people to their roots in Afro Asia.

One has to wonder why he was interested in such endeavor. For someone who was sold into slavery and but for the Grace of God would have remained permanently disconnected and lost from his people and culture and heritage, it was a personal challenge to see how far back in history he can actually go to the root of the culture he knew as Yoruba.

In the 1800s, English language has not been rooted as our tongue.

Like i made clear before, i couldnt give two shyts abt yoruba origin. As long as you dont drag the edo people into it then, you can go screw urselves as much as you want. wink grin
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Chyz2: 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

You said my claim that "early Bini kings were buried in Ife" was a lie.

So I'm asking you that if that was a lie, how would you classify the claim that "early Lagos kings were buried in Bini"?

Like i said binis concord various yoruba clans and established a kingdom in lagos. The king of lagos as we speak is Bini. Its the same way a fulani is ruling over your people in Ilorin,lol. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Handsome Nigerian Men *pics* / Lightskin Igbos Aren't A New Concept For Igbo People (our Ancestors Had Them) / Global Staying Power Of Yoruba Language and Culture- Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.