Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Origin Of Ifa - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Ifa (18491 Views)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 2:35pm On Aug 26, 2011
<quote>

amor4ce:

There is without doubt a substitute race of people in North Africa, some mixed and some of pure caucasian roots.

This is what I've found out about the Amorites.
The Egyptologist Flinders Petrie and Assyriologist Archibald Henry Sayce analysed Egyptian illustrations of what they identified as Amorites (Amurru) depicted as "white skinned, blue eyed, fair haired". According to Sayce (1889):
“   “The Amorites,  were a tall, handsome people, with white skins, blue eyes and reddish hair, all the characteristics, in fact, of the white race.”   ”
Sayce further discovered a painting in a tomb (No. 34) at Thebes, belonging to the Eighteenth Dynasty which illustrates an Amorite chief with "white skin and red-brown hair".
Henry George Tomkins (1897) an Exeter clergyman and member of the Royal Archaeological Institute also wrote the Amorites were blue eyed and fair haired. Easton's Bible Dictionary also contains an entry stating the Amorites are "represented on the Egyptian monuments with fair skins, light hair, blue eyes, aquiline noses, and pointed beards." The Encyclopædia Britannica, 13th ed., vol. 1, 1929, also contained a physical description of the Amorites from Egyptian illustrations:
“   “Egyptian illustrations of the New Kingdom show the Palestinian Amorites to have been a race much more like the Northern Europeans than the Semites; long-headed, with blue eyes, straight noses and thin lips.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorite

I wonder if they are Caucasians and are the ones described thus
Genesis 15:16: But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites [is] not yet full.

</quote>

</quote>

The study and understanding of human race and the reporting and education on the subject is incomplete. So far it has been biased and one-sided to portray the Caucasian features as a natural ruling class and symbol of aesthetics.

Just as we have Egyptologists and Assyriologists, we need "Yorubologists" to examine and unlock the far long suppressed mystery and history of the Yorubas. It cannot be done using Caucasian templates built on the philosophical understanding of their socio-cultural beliefs. A Yoruba antiquity must be examined and reported based on the Yoruba philosophy and socio-cultural beliefs. If this can be done we will have conclusion on where the Yoruba belong. Not only that, it will also disprove this Amorite (Amurru) myth.

I'd like to point out that we must becareful in the way we absorb European education, we need to apply some discrimination when investigating these claims.

For example: Thebes is an adulteration of the name of the old capital of Upper Egypt, "Djebe".

The European imperials followed the example of the Romans in nomenclature. They installed their language as the lingua franca everywhere they conquered and forced people to speak Latin (in case of Romans) and English/French/Portuguese/Spanish (in the case of the imperial powers) in substitute for the indigene language.  

When tongues are changed, communication changes, literature changes, social formalities change, government change, the total philosophical outlook change and in successive generations the indigeneity of the people is slowly eroded, replaced by the prevailing protocols making the people find it much easier to identify with the ruling class and the mainstream voice in order to fit in and survive. Increasingly, their future generations become so far removed from their natural customs that they begin to act, behave, reason and picture themselves other than what they truly are.

Every literature written by the white man to narrate Egyptian history uses "Thebes" to describe "Djebe".

African scholars in repeating and recycling the history never bother to refute and correct the error. So it's no shock when white man begin to tell us that Thebes belonged to him. Hopefully African scholars will be stupid enough to repeat and recycle the white  ownership claim.

Another error is in that of "Nefertiti", who they have totally claimed as "Cleopatra", and deitified as a Roman godess. Nefertiti is a symbol of beauty, balance, romance and essence.  This claim of her as Caucasian is further supported by African scholars.
Her real name is Neferu Tintin, Nubian origin and a Djebian.

Not to make this a skin complexion issue, there are light skinned just as much dark skinned people in Yoruba nation but particularly there are two sets who seem to have a high proportion of light skinned people and these are

1. The Ekiti/Ijesha/Ondo people

2. Awori people.

I firmly believe the Amorites are the Aworis, not solely because of skin complexion but if an argument could be tendered on that account then they are a qualified contender.

When I was little I went with my grandmother to visit her aging mother in Ilashe, a rural Awori town in Lagos State. Ilashe is a beach town past Kirikiri and we went on a ferry, first to Ilado to see and greet some of her cousins before we went to Ilashe.

While they were in discussion, a cousin and I left to set traps and catch crabs on the sandy beach. We were there for hours playing with other children. When we arrived back in town, an underground crypt had been opened. My grandma's brother was there discussing with my grandma on some burial rites. I later learnt that their mother wanted to be buried with her parents - their remains for three ancestral generations laid in that crypt.

When in later years I went back to visit she had indeed been buried in the crypt as she willed. Then I started asking questions. The elders did not know why they did some of the things they did other than to say its the way of the ancestors.

To have a crypt in a coastal town is truly amazing. First, the waterbed is very high and near the surface and so the crypt must be reinforced in certain materials that are waterproof and retardant. Second, to know that the same crypt had withstood the elements and beein in use for over 100yrs is also mind boggling. Not to add that it was indoors, underneath a false floor in the hallway into the thatched roof compound of houses and rooms. The crypt was walled in clay and plaster. It had to have been hardened with some kiln-type high-temperature heat to cure and preserve its strength that long.

Anyway, the corpses are also aligned with the sun. These are burial rituals that mirror Afro-Asiatic roots.

Here is another ponder : "Ilado"; "Ilashe"; "Ilasa"; "Ilaje"; "Ilaro"; "Ilogbo"; "Ilorin"; ". . . . .what is the significance of "Ilx" in the usage?

There are so many things to unlock, we need a new scholarship in Yorubologist to study and give us meaning. This will open a new avenue by which we can reincarnate our philosophical roots. Per chance, we might find that we can drop the use of foreign tongue and culture and thus be truly independent to build a consciousness that is at par with first world power.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 3:26pm On Aug 26, 2011
<quote>

amor4ce:

Binary is a scientific term and denotes something discrete and interchangeable in its essence.

For instance in an event of 1 0 0 1, the zeros and ones are interchangeable in state given an elapsed time - its dynamic. 

Duality in nature does not change from its designated state - its fixed in its nature.

Doesn't the term BINARY infer that the object of reference cannot simultaneously exist in both states but has to be either one or the other, as in
"Matthew 6:24: No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

In my opinion, duality points to dual existence of which I doubt the possibility.

</quote>

At a given moment time "x", a 1 and 0 are just that.

In another given moment, time "y", the 1 and the 0 could reverse states and become 0 and 1, or remain same and unchanged. Therefore the outcome of their states is unpredictable.

A dual natured object does not change state. A perfect example is humans, we are dual natured. Our primodial code is 2.
We do not change state ane become 1 like God or three like jinns.

The oneness of faith expected in that scriptural code has to do with outward response and not the essence of being.

The essence of human being is dual but our worship and faith is aimed at the One Being above us.

Is Trinity mentioned in Ifa corpus? Again, I'm not versed enough in the context of Ifa to give a tenable response.

The
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 4:45pm On Aug 26, 2011
<quote>

Can't it be said that science is a framework for the expression of the human spirit? If so, science would be seen as evolving till the best guess reaches perfection. However I feel that with time it has been placed ahead on the human spirit and as a result has been driven further away from perfection at the beginning.

</quote>

Science is the empirical study of physical patterns or behaviors.

In order for scientific study to be valid, a set of tests and experiments must be run over time on an object and the result are collated as data which can now be reported using mathematical or statistical reference graphs to depict measurements and scalability.

The spirit on the other hand is receptive to intuition and inspiration, it receives its knowledge from the pool of wisdom in the cosmic bank.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 2:05am On Aug 27, 2011
What of a system of writing prior to the introduction of Ajami?
We could start with our own unique writing and use it for direct translations of the earliest/early Biblical texts and the study of our history and migration.

I have also wondered if the Amorites mated with the Neanderthals.

Concerning that crypt, my guess is that the bodies were positioned with the head facing north while the faces were toward the east. This was common in other cultures as well. Maybe some of our ancestors grew fat and forgot the reasons for certain cultural practices; and ended up saying "that's how our ancestors have been doing it" with no explanation e.g. killing of twins in amongst certain peoples in the past.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 5:18am On Aug 27, 2011
Aren't there any other willing contributors to this topic on Nairaland?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:29pm On Aug 28, 2011
wat a foolish diagram by amor4ce. there is no such race as French. the modern French are a mixed people comprising of different tribes like the Gauls, Visigoths, Vikings, etc.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 10:40pm On Aug 28, 2011
I got the picture from this BBC article
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14673047

Besides, lots of DNA studies have been pointing to the Out-of-Africa hypothesis. Some of these studies included Yoruba DNA samples, amongst others. The tentative conclusion has been that much of black Africa have remained "pure". The fact that French is mentioned does not mean that the researchers used samples from one French subgroup. I haven't read the original article where the picture was first published so I cannot say what the sample constituents are.

Furthermore, it is just a picture - inanimate, no life, no feelings, no actions. How then can the picture be foolish?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:26pm On Aug 28, 2011
the picture is foolish because it groups French along the same lines as Han and Neandethral.

also the only way Black people can be pure is if they have a tribe. Afro-Americans are not pure and mixed Africans are not pure.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Abagworo(m): 8:47pm On Aug 29, 2011
I am an Igbo man and do not know much about "Ifa" but I know of "Afa" and I suspect they might be linked.I need a true "Ifa" expert to tell me the processes.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by NegroNtns(m): 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2011
Abagworo,

Ifa and Afa sound similar but its preemptive and misleading to say they are similar in practice without understanding what Afa is.

Share with us what Afa means and where the roots and practice is about.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 7:54am On Aug 30, 2011
hagiolatry
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Abagworo(m): 9:40am On Aug 30, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Abagworo,

Ifa and Afa sound similar but its preemptive and misleading to say they are similar in practice without understanding what Afa is.

Share with us what Afa means and where the roots and practice is about.

Afa could probably be termed a kind of religion or traditional belief in ability to consult the ancestors and gods to either know the future,past or reason for or how to prevent an occurance.I come from a lineage of Afa Priests and have some knowledge even though Christianity has overshadowed that.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:37am On Aug 31, 2011
Abagworo:

Afa could probably be termed a kind of religion or traditional belief in ability to consult the ancestors and gods to either know the future,past or reason for or how to prevent an occurance.I come from a lineage of Afa Priests and have some knowledge even though Christianity has overshadowed that.

wow is your family still practicing i think you must do some studies on this. it would be good if you visit an Ifa priest and ask him to give you some knowledge. maybe it will help to spread your values to your tribe if you become priest you self.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Abagworo(m): 9:25am On Aug 31, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

wow is your family still practicing i think you must do some studies on this. it would be good if you visit an Ifa priest and ask him to give you some knowledge. maybe it will help to spread your values to your tribe if you become priest you self.

Actually I don't need a Priest because my Grandfather is a practising Priest and I have had the opportunities of observing him rarely.I'm a Christian so I do not participate.Again note that ours is "Afa" and not "Ifa".My interest is in knowing if "Afa" and "Ifa" have something in common.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:44am On Aug 31, 2011
oh ok. but i dont understand. if you are from such a noble lineage, why are you still christian undecided
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Abagworo(m): 10:24am On Aug 31, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

oh ok. but i dont understand. if you are from such a noble lineage, why are you still christian undecided

So all your siblings are Pagans too?Its a thing of choice.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:46pm On Aug 31, 2011
Everyone. I just have two siblings. but i have few muslim relatives.

also i would like to know the reason why you chose christianity over the traditional faiths is it because you are scared of society sad
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 11:03pm On Aug 31, 2011
image of Shango ≣ image of Baal?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:56am On Sep 01, 2011
Lord Baal/Beliaal was an old Pagan God worshipped by the Hebrews, whom xtians started calling the devil. angry tongue
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 11:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
Jeremiah 23:26: How long shall [this] be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yes, [they are] prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
Jeremiah 23:27: Who think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbor, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

Many centuries ago our some of our forefathers worshipped idols under green trees and poured drink offerings to idols, and the abominations are still practiced. Yet the practitioners and defenders seem not to realize that all the prophecies against them have been coming to pass, from Somalia to Senegal to South Africa. Yes, the afflictions (including curses of Egypt) are not surprising, but the stiff necks,

A very heinous abomination has been that of a particular name substitution of which almost gives me the shudders.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:01am On Sep 02, 2011
not some. ALL our forefathers worshipped idols.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 11:22pm On Sep 04, 2011
Negro_Ntns, my apologies if I trespassed.

PAGAN 9JA, I doubt that ALL did, or do you have proof?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:49pm On Sep 04, 2011
yes I do. name ANY race in the world and ill give you proof. ANY
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 11:52pm On Sep 04, 2011
Axum?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:04pm On Sep 05, 2011
Axum is not a race, but a Kingdom and its ruler, King Ezana was a Pagan prior to conversion to christianity and the Axumites used to worship the Semitic God, Ashtar, God of the morning Star.
Re: Origin Of Ifa by amor4ce(m): 11:48pm On Sep 06, 2011
Lemba
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 12:02pm On Mar 16, 2012
from your explanation about Afa, its seems it is the same with Ifa.. or am i getting it wrong?

pls can you give me the origin of Afa or any other information pls?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:40pm On Mar 16, 2012
amor4ce: Lemba

The Lemba claim Jewish origin. if this is true, then the Jews' ancestors, the early Hebrews were all Pagans, worshipping Gods like Baal, Yahweh, Dagon, etc. cool
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 10:02am On Mar 17, 2012
i dont understand you
Re: Origin Of Ifa by Ptolomeus(m): 5:22pm On Mar 20, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Anyway, on the 8th and 16th order of divination, no they are not flaws or "holes" as you implied.

In an orchestra, you can compose and produce in the 8th or 16th harmonics and each will be beautiful.

Ifa was with our ancestors and they migrated with it. It was not a discovery along the way.

Dear friend:
I have followed with great interest your magnificent exhibition.
Could you explain more carefully the change from 8 to 16?
In America (I am referring to the African traditional religion in America) is in addition to IFA, another method of divination practiced with 8 cowries. This was implemented at the time by African slaves.
There is a history of that in Africa?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by bilms(m): 9:53am On Mar 23, 2012
?
Re: Origin Of Ifa by rabzy: 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

The Lemba claim Jewish origin. if this is true, then the Jews' ancestors, the early Hebrews were all Pagans, worshipping Gods like Baal, Yahweh, Dagon, etc. cool

It depends on who you refer to as the Hebrews. Abraham and his household were the first to be referred to as the hebrews and Abraham never worshipped any pagan god. He worshipped only one God Yahweh.

The father of Abraham Terah and possibly some of his ancestors after Shem, worshipped pagan gods, but they were from the sumerian/babylonish extraction. They worship principally Nama/Sin which was a moon-god. Dagon is a fish-god and its associated with the philistines and baal is said to be the son of dagan.

It was the corrupted Israelites that later worshipped baal and possibly dagon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Handsome Nigerian Men *pics* / Global Staying Power Of Yoruba Language and Culture- Reno Omokri / Lightskin Igbos Aren't A New Concept For Igbo People (our Ancestors Had Them)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.