Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,522 members, 7,958,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:12 PM

Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria (14793 Views)

Are There Vegans/ Vegetarians In The House?? Lets Meet Here!! / Are There Really Vegetarians In Naija / Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by blank(f): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2011
I am considering it for my kid as my husband is a lost cause. If i can defend it infront of my husband by showing that he is not being deprived of protein then he will allow it though i don't know for how long. Will like whatever material you can give me. How can i get them pls?
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 5:31pm On Oct 21, 2011
blank:

I am considering it for my kid as my husband is a lost cause. If i can defend it infront of my husband by showing that he is not being deprived of protein then he will allow it though i don't know for how long. Will like whatever material you can give me. How can i get them pls?

When I get home, I'll look through some of the info I have saved and I'll send them to you.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by tdie: 8:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
@ inked nerd; I've been a vegetarian right from childhood; and the only female vegetarian I know is my younger sister, Lol
And No, its not a religious thing,
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by kieryn(f): 10:59pm On Oct 24, 2011
I am a part time vegetarian. At the end of month I go with out meat for a week. dry fish and eggs are the only meat I will eat. Heck I am not vegan. Its sort of a cleansing.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2011
blank:

@ Inked Nerd, i keep swinging back and forth but i can proudly say that i have been meat, fish and egg free for the past one and a half months. Milk is another matter.

But i want ask, how healthy is a vegetarian diet for kids? I keep thinking that they are not getting enough protein.

Hey blank, I'm so very sorry for my late response to this. I didn't mean to forget to give you the info I promised. Here it is:

(1) http://www.vegetariantimes.com/2007/pdf/vegetarian_starter_kit.pdf

(2) http://www.vrg.org/family/kidsindex.htm

(3) http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.htm

(4) http://vegetarian.lifetips.com/cat/9166/veggie-kids/index.html

(2) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129137062

So far, these sites can provide you with some info on how you can get started on raising vegetarian children.  I hope that helps. There are tons of books available as well. If you need anymore help, please let me know. And once again, I'm so very sorry for my late response.

t-die:

@ inked nerd; I've been a vegetarian right from childhood; and the only female vegetarian I know is my younger sister,  Lol
And No, its not a religious thing,

Cool. What do people generally think when they hear that you're a vegetarian? grin
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Ladytemi(f): 7:33pm On Nov 26, 2011
While being vegan is a good idea and has its share of health benefits, I think it would be difficult to be vegan and live in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 7:34am On Nov 28, 2011
Lady temi:

While being vegan is a good idea and has its share of health benefits, I think it would be difficult to be vegan and live in Nigeria.

Hmmm, perhaps undecided
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by blank(f): 9:41am On Nov 28, 2011
It is difficult and sooo annoying. People keep asking, why are u not putting meat in your food, don't u av money? How can u put food without meat? When you want to order food, sorry, the meat comes with the food. Any meat with that? No meat?

Then, there is absolutely no hang out that there won't be different smells of meat. I like eating meat so it is hard to resist but i still hold on firmly to the believe that meat is not healthy at all.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 9:00pm On Nov 28, 2011
blank:

It is difficult and sooo annoying. People keep asking, why are u not putting meat in your food, don't u av money? How can u put food without meat? When you want to ë food, sorry, the meat comes with the food. Any meat with that? No meat?

Then, there is absolutely no hang out that there won't be different smells of meat. I like eating meat so it is hard to resist but i still hold on firmly to the believe that meat is not healthy at all.

I can imagine. I've often looked forward to being able to experience my vegetarianism in Nigeria. Hopefully by summer of next year, I'll be able to do that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
The Fulani Cattle Herders rarely eat meat, because it is hard to come by. They usually eat that starchy broth of theirs.

here in uk, we get artificial meat made out of soyabeans, called "Soya Chunks". it tastes like meat and sort of looks like meat but it is 100% vegetarian. i have never seen it in Nigeria though, so i dont know. .:/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by merge(f): 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
smiley
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Enoquin(f): 1:04pm On Aug 04, 2012
Are sea foods excluded or included in a vegetarian's diet? I ask this because Nigerian Vegetarians can never be true vegetarians...except no crayfish is used in cooking their meals and what of when you go for parties and then eat the rice either fried or jollof served? Remember that the stock would have been added to the rice, is that not akin to eating the meat/chicken even though no physical chewing is done...that also means no cake even for the young'uns...
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Wonderchild: 9:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
Siena:

What does that mean? Please expand on your above statement.

Guru maharaji is a kind of god 2 his followers. The followers eats flowers, veg.and snails. They don't eat anytin dat has blood. He lives in ibadan.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by blank(f): 9:14pm On Jan 11, 2016
blank:
@ InkedNerd, i keep swinging back and forth but i can proudly say that i have been meat, fish and egg free for the past one and a half months. Milk is another matter.

But i want ask, how healthy is a vegetarian diet for kids? I keep thinking that they are not getting enough protein.

Can't believe that I didn't last more than 1 year. So sad.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Horlahmah(m): 8:34pm On Feb 05, 2017
PAGAN9JA:
The Fulani Cattle Herders rarely eat meat, because it is hard to come by. They usually eat that starchy broth of theirs.

here in uk, we get artificial meat made out of soyabeans, called "Soya Chunks". it tastes like meat and sort of looks like meat but it is 100% vegetarian. i have never seen it in Nigeria though, so i dont know. .:/

It's called "wara:beske" at my side. I guess I'm switching to that. It's plenty here.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by jpslick(m): 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2018
I just made up my mind to go Vegan right now, any vegans here with useful advice that can help me?
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by diayne(f): 6:23pm On Nov 26, 2019
I can say that I have tried the vegetarian diet. As a person I don't like meat. I Know it's funny because am a Nigerian living in Nigeria. Even as a child I was noted for spitting out my meat chunks after chewing them. Lol
In my years as a university student I hardly ever cooked with meat. I just avoided it. From my experience a lot of Nigerian foods are essentially vegetarian eg yam and beans, porridge yam with amaranth green, Jollof rice can easily be made vegetarian, indomie, Jollof spaghetti, Fried yam and tomato sauce, akara, (I went to UNN) local Nsukka meals like okpa, ayaraya ji AKA fio fio or Agbugbu, igbangu oka. I think with some determination one can easily be a vegetarian in Nigeria. And we do have great vegetarian protein options. Okpa for example is reach in protein. Okpa milk has been shown to have more protein than milk as in cow milk itself. Soyamilk can easily be found in Nigeria and that's another good protein source. I need encouragement though to go vegetarian. I am seriously considering it... But I am married to a Hunter's grandson so vegetarian diet will be a bit tricky to introduce in this house lol.
I however like fish which would easily make me a Pescatarian that is someone who adheres to the vegetarian diet but eats fish...

And to contribute to this discussion I would like to clarify that vegan and vegetarians are not the same. A vegetarian does not eat animal flesh. A vegan also does not eat animal flesh but their lifestyle excludes all animal bi-products such as leather (they will not use a car that has leather seats or leather whatever), they do not use cosmetic products that are made with animal extract (eg some lipsticks are made with crushed beetles as red colorant and as such vegans will not use them. Some soaps and creams contain animal milk extracts true vegans will not use them) , they would not use or wear silk and woolen products. So vegetarian is a diet choice while Vegan is a lifestyle.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Myah11: 1:23pm On Jan 05, 2020
diayne:
I can say that I have tried the vegetarian diet. As a person I don't like meat. I Know it's funny because am a Nigerian living in Nigeria. Even as a child I was noted for spitting out my meat chunks after chewing them. Lol
In my years as a university student I hardly ever cooked with meat. I just avoided it. From my experience a lot of Nigerian foods are essentially vegetarian eg yam and beans, porridge yam with amaranth green, Jollof rice can easily be made vegetarian, indomie, Jollof spaghetti, Fried yam and tomato sauce, akara, (I went to UNN) local Nsukka meals like okpa, ayaraya ji AKA fio fio or Agbugbu, igbangu oka. I think with some determination one can easily be a vegetarian in Nigeria. And we do have great vegetarian protein options. Okpa for example is reach in protein. Okpa milk has been shown to have more protein than milk as in cow milk itself. Soyamilk can easily be found in Nigeria and that's another good protein source. I need encouragement though to go vegetarian. I am seriously considering it... But I am married to a Hunter's grandson so vegetarian diet will be a bit tricky to introduce in this house lol.
I however like fish which would easily make me a Pescatarian that is someone who adheres to the vegetarian diet but eats fish...

And to contribute to this discussion I would like to clarify that vegan and vegetarians are not the same. A vegetarian does not eat animal flesh. A vegan also does not eat animal flesh but their lifestyle excludes all animal bi-products such as leather (they will not use a car that has leather seats or leather whatever), they do not use cosmetic products that are made with animal extract (eg some lipsticks are made with crushed beetles as red colorant and as such vegans will not use them. Some soaps and creams contain animal milk extracts true vegans will not use them) , they would not use or wear silk and woolen products. So vegetarian is a diet choice while Vegan is a lifestyle.

After reading through the comments I wanted to clarify that vegans and vegetarians are quite different. Vegan is extreme.
I am an on and off vegetarian myself but when I saw that I didn't have enough protein in me I stopped.

To be a successful vegetarian in Nigeria you have to be ready to spend money because to replace milk, fish, egg, meat, any animal product with a plant based protein is expensive.

The other day I wanted to buy almond milk in place of three crown, peak milk and the rest, it was quite expensive.

To be a successful vegetarian in Nigeria you need to make sure you leave your house with your belly full so that you will not have "olojukokoro" on animal based food. When going for a party, eat bellefull.

Other tips I am going to be giving when I go back to being a vegetarian. I haven't found any blogger who is a vegetarian and lives in Nigeria, and who is a vegetarian on budget. That will be the scope of my blog.

In addition there are several categories of vegetarianism. The idea of being a vegetarian is to incorporate more vegetables and plant based meal in our food. For instance before I became a vegetarian I can fry three eggs with one ball of pepper, one ball of tomatoes and 1/6 medium size onions, but now it's one egg with three vegetable pepper (the big pepper that is usually not hot), four ball tomatoes, 1/3 medium size onions, ugwu (pumpkin, if I like), green pepper, spring onions and the likes.
Various types of vegetarianism includes:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat plant-based foods, dairy products, and eggs, and exclude meat, poultry, and fish.
Lacto-vegetarians [/b]eat plant-based foods and dairy products, and exclude meat, poultry, fish, and eggs.
[b]Ovo-vegetarians
eat plant-based foods and eggs, and exclude meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products.
Pesco-vegetarians [/b]eat a vegetarian diet but also include fish.
[b]Semi-vegetarians
may eat dairy products or eggs, as well as a little fish and chicken, and generally exclude meat; also called partial vegetarians.

I am going to create a WhatsApp group strictly for vegetarians, if you are a vegan you could also join us. Here we will discuss how to be a vegetarian in the year 2020 in Nigeria, how to start little and how to remain healthy.

I also want to add that we should have a strong reason for being a vegetarian, this can motivate us to want to remain vegetarians. For me it is good health, fresh and young looking skin.

Most of us know Gabrielle Union she is a semi vegetarian together with good genes she seem never to grow old.

Here's the WhatsApp group link https:///E4g2IrY5EyIFGJ42tfvOux

Thank you for joining us.

Stay blessed.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Greenfit(m): 12:40am On Jan 06, 2020
Their are vegetarian oooo. Some of them are partial vegetarian, while some are full vegan.is they depend solely on plants and no traces of ~animal~ product i their diet.
Plant protein, fibre, carbohydrate is really great too

And for those that are interested, we delivers fresh vegetables and fruits to you any where you are within the country at an affordable price. 08031508108
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Stolidp(f): 11:27am On Feb 01, 2020
Please I’m looking for vegetarians in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 02, 2020
Stolidp:
Please I’m looking for vegetarians in Nigeria

Why if I may ask?
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by sgtmark(m): 6:54pm On Feb 04, 2020
I made the decision last year and I started early this year (1st of January 2020), I only eat egg & fish.
So My colleague at work are tapping cheesy by no eating meat in most of their breakfast/lunch.
Re: Nigerian Vegetarians i.e. Vegetarians In Nigeria by Positiveme2020: 12:13pm On Feb 06, 2021
Myah11:

After reading through the comments I wanted to clarify that vegans and vegetarians are quite different. Vegan is extreme.
I am an on and off vegetarian myself but when I saw that I didn't have enough protein in me I stopped.

To be a successful vegetarian in Nigeria you have to be ready to spend money because to replace milk, fish, egg, meat, any animal product with a plant based protein is expensive.

The other day I wanted to buy almond milk in place of three crown, peak milk and the rest, it was quite expensive.

To be a successful vegetarian in Nigeria you need to make sure you leave your house with your belly full so that you will not have "olojukokoro" on animal based food. When going for a party, eat bellefull.

Other tips I am going to be giving when I go back to being a vegetarian. I haven't found any blogger who is a vegetarian and lives in Nigeria, and who is a vegetarian on budget. That will be the scope of my blog.

In addition there are several categories of vegetarianism. The idea of being a vegetarian is to incorporate more vegetables and plant based meal in our food. For instance before I became a vegetarian I can fry three eggs with one ball of pepper, one ball of tomatoes and 1/6 medium size onions, but now it's one egg with three vegetable pepper (the big pepper that is usually not hot), four ball tomatoes, 1/3 medium size onions, ugwu (pumpkin, if I like), green pepper, spring onions and the likes.
Various types of vegetarianism includes:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat plant-based foods, dairy products, and eggs, and exclude meat, poultry, and fish.
Lacto-vegetarians [/b]eat plant-based foods and dairy products, and exclude meat, poultry, fish, and eggs.
[b]Ovo-vegetarians
eat plant-based foods and eggs, and exclude meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products.
Pesco-vegetarians [/b]eat a vegetarian diet but also include fish.
[b]Semi-vegetarians
may eat dairy products or eggs, as well as a little fish and chicken, and generally exclude meat; also called partial vegetarians.

I am going to create a WhatsApp group strictly for vegetarians, if you are a vegan you could also join us. Here we will discuss how to be a vegetarian in the year 2020 in Nigeria, how to start little and how to remain healthy.

I also want to add that we should have a strong reason for being a vegetarian, this can motivate us to want to remain vegetarians. For me it is good health, fresh and young looking skin.

Most of us know Gabrielle Union she is a semi vegetarian together with good genes she seem never to grow old.

Here's the WhatsApp group link https:///E4g2IrY5EyIFGJ42tfvOux

Thank you for joining us.

Stay blessed.

Thank you.

Please add me to the WhatsApp group. O tried using the link but wasn't successful.
I will send u a PM

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is A Tuber Of Yam In Your Area ? / How To Make An Amazing Mind Blowing Banana Pancake Recipe / A List Of Some Of Nigeria's Best Food Blogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.