Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,186 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members (11071 Views)

Tinubu: Nigerians Won’t Pay Estimated Billing For Electricity If I’m President / Estimated Billing: NERC To Sanction EKEDC, 6 Others / NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by adenigga(m): 4:21pm On Sep 21, 2022
Some residents in the Oko-Oba area of Lagos State, have trooped out, Wednesday, to protest what they described as indiscriminate disconnection and estimated billing, allegedly by the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company.

They are also protesting the arrest of two members of the community, Imam Fatai Shaheed and Odewale Jamiu, whose arrests were said to have been allegedly initiated by the Oko-Oba unit of the IKEDC. They are currently gathered at the Abbattoir Police Station, in the area, asking for the release of the arrested two.

The Oko-Oba community had been at loggerheads with the Ikeja DisCo over issues of estimated billing before now. In June 2022, The PUNCH reported how the residents under the aegis of Oko-Oba/Orile Development Union, also trooped out in protest against similar issues, saying they were not ready to make further payments for electricity if they were not provided with prepaid meters.

Speaking to The PUNCH, Wednesday morning, one of the residents, Funmi Ajayi, alleged that the police were harassing their members because of estimated billing.

“They’re giving us estimated billing. A house was given N160,000 in a month, another house was given 120,000 in a month. We were rejecting and resisting it. Due to this, our comrades were arrested in the mosque early this morning!” she exclaimed.

Another resident, identified simply as James, said the DisCo began disconnection of lights to some houses on Tuesday when they couldn’t meet the estimated bills.

They (the DisCo) called a meeting and complained that we were supposed to generate N90 million for them but we were only to able to pay N50 million and that they would start disconnection. They came to disconnect the exact power poles of the organisers in the community. There was an altercation between some of them, suddenly they brought a Mobile Policeman from Alimosho to Oko Oba.

“The policeman brought out his gun. He shot in the air,” James said.

He added that during an altercation which ensued at the point of disconnection, on Tuesday, an official of the IKEDC had assaulted one of the residents. He claimed that the official also faked to have fainted and was thereby taken to the hospital.

“This morning, as early as 5:30 am, the Divisional Police Officer of Abbattoir Police Station went to mobilise his men to arrest one Alfa and Jamiu.

“The community is now protesting at the station and from there, they will go and shut down the office at Emmanuel, Oko Oba,” he said.

Efforts to get the reaction of the IKEDC proved abortive. When contacted, the Undertaking Manager of the Orile-Agege unit of the IKEDC, identified simply as Mr Musa, said he could not speak to the press on the matter as he was not authorised to do so.

Messages sent to the official lines and handles of the IKEDC had not been responded to as of the time of filing this report.

The Lagos State Police Public Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, had also yet to respond to a message from our correspondent on the said arrests.
Source: https://punchng.com/IKEDC-Lagos-residents-protest-estimated-billing-members-arrest

1 Like

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2022
Nawa o

1 Like

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by NaijaRoyalty(m): 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2022
Anger and protests everywhere since the inception of this wicked APC government

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Jones4190(m): 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2022
This does not change the fact that in Australia there are 48 million kangaroos and in Uruguay there are 3,457,380 inhabitants. So if the kangaroos decide to invade Uruguay, each Uruguayan will have to fight 14 kangaroos.

23 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by xpressionx(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2022
It's only in nigeria you pay for darkness.
Even if you like,remove the pole and travel, nepa or whatever there name is will still bring bill.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Ballzproblemm: 10:55pm On Sep 21, 2022
tinubu
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Hambivert: 10:56pm On Sep 21, 2022
Nigeria is a country filled with billings.
From the Police to NEPA, to love interests, to family members and even friends. One way or the other you must have encountered it.
...but these people should just remember, there is a maximum a man can take.

Away from the topic, I think the mod pushing these posts to front page by this time past 10pm is serving a punishment. tongue

3 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Alaigbopress: 10:56pm On Sep 21, 2022
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Obidient1: 10:57pm On Sep 21, 2022
Vote Tinubu
Vote APC for Continuity.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by mbahdi(m): 10:57pm On Sep 21, 2022
Emilokan jagabandits
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by aboyaji(m): 10:58pm On Sep 21, 2022
Whereas other countries don't know anything about power interruptions and estimated bills. Sadly.

The other countries are Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Benin Republic that are very close to our nose.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by wpadmin: 10:58pm On Sep 21, 2022
Go get prepaid meter.

I was at NEPA office to complain about this same thing few months ago.

In my street, there are only five houses that do not have prepaid meter.

Most of the houses that have the prepaid pay someone to illegally bypass the metre so they end up paying nothing or a fraction of what they are supposed to pay.

At the end of the month, NEPA reads the metre on the transformer that serves the whole street and gives an estimated bill to those who do not have prepaid meter.

They assume that the other houses have prepaid and are paying so they don't bill them.

So automatically, the houses without prepaid pay the deficit.

This was what the NEPA official said.

We complained about it and NEPA removed almost 500k from my outstanding bill. They did this to encourage us get a prepaid meter.

The people protesting should force their landlords or lady's to get prepaid meter.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Marvieduke(f): 10:59pm On Sep 21, 2022
This should not be a new thing to those affected. The system in naija is ruff n rugged.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Terror48: 10:59pm On Sep 21, 2022
We are now paying for sun light in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Nobody: 11:00pm On Sep 21, 2022
This nepa wey disconnect our light today

Got back and was told

Nepa brought a bill of 230k for four tenants, we don pay remaining 1person,baba pay ur money na.. baba begging cap say all fingers are not equal, everytime na him language be that.. now cus of 57,500..nepa don disconnect light.. e dey pain me gan...
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by mactoni91(m): 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2022
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Johel(m): 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2022

1 Like

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Equity15(m): 11:26pm On Sep 21, 2022
These IKEDC are thieves. I will never forget how they suffered me for like a year before i got my prepaid.

Those idiots had the mind to bring almost 30k bill every month for a mini flat. A house with just ceiling fan, bulb and personal gadgets like laptops and phones. Worst is i leave home very early and come back very late at night.

I weep for this country

9 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by drealcivilceno(m): 11:29pm On Sep 21, 2022
Nwatachoba1:
This nepa wey disconnect our light today

Got back and was told

Nepa brought a bill of 230k for four tenants, we don pay remaining 1person,baba pay ur money na.. baba begging cap say all fingers are not equal, everytime na him language be that.. now cus of 57,500..nepa don disconnect light.. e dey pain me gan...

You would have used that money to buy prepaid meter!

8 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by stano2(m): 11:30pm On Sep 21, 2022
wpadmin:
Go get prepaid meter.

I was at NEPA office to complain about this same thing few months ago.

In my street, there are only five houses that do not have prepaid meter.

Most of the houses that have the prepaid pay someone to illegally bypass the metre so they end up paying nothing or a fraction of what they are supposed to pay.

At the end of the month, NEPA reads the metre on the transformer that serves the whole street and gives an estimated bill to those who do not have prepaid meter.

They assume that the other houses have prepaid and are paying so they don't bill them.

So automatically, the houses without prepaid pay the deficit.

This was what the NEPA official said.

We complained about it and NEPA removed almost 500k from my outstanding bill. They did this to encourage us get a prepaid meter.

The people protesting should force their landlords or lady's to get prepaid meter.
But you know, Phcn take years before delivering a prepaid meter

3 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by wpadmin: 11:31pm On Sep 21, 2022
stano2:
But you know, Phcn take years before delivering a prepaid meter

True, but in my area it's different.
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Yello1(m): 11:34pm On Sep 21, 2022
Equity15:
These IKEDC are thieves. I will never forget how they suffered me for like a year before i got my prepaid.

Those idiots had the mind to bring almost 30k bill every month for a mini flat. A house with just ceiling fan, bulb and personal gadgets like laptops and phones. Worst is i leave home very early and come back very late at night.

I weep for this country

Better dry ur tears, d mata na still child's play oo compare to d outcome of the choices we will make come 2023. May we not gnash teeth den ooo

2 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by money121(m): 11:37pm On Sep 21, 2022
Ok
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Treasure17(m): 11:41pm On Sep 21, 2022
All these electricity distribution companies are fraudsters. How they come up with their billing system is ridiculous. To give prepaid that will ease their works is also a problem.

6 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 21, 2022
drealcivilceno:

You would have used that money to buy prepaid meter!

I have ordered for 1,me and my friend ordered separately.. been over 2months now,we never see or hear anything from nepa.. can't wait to get mine o.. all my appliances na energy saver, inverter fridge,ac etc.. e no go dey consume light and I dey barely stay home

5 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by mayskit4luv(m): 11:50pm On Sep 21, 2022
Okay
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by FuckDModz: 12:24am On Sep 22, 2022
grin

Mumu people.

The police should arrest all these rodents and starve them to death.

If you like don't vote for better leaders next year.

Bastards!
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 22, 2022
Cool
Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by ipobarethieves: 12:42am On Sep 22, 2022
sad those BASTARDZ Don tampered with the so kal prepaid meter. The way that thing they drain ur money angry shocked.

4 Likes

Re: IKEDC: Lagos Residents Protest Estimated Billing, Arrest Of Comminity Members by realstars: 12:55am On Sep 22, 2022
Good, Let them face trial first.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Profile Of Shuaibu Yaman Abdulahi, PDP's Guber Candidate In Kwara State / Nasiru Mu’azu Magarya's Father, 7 Others Kidnapped By Bandits In Zamfara / FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.