Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage (2711 Views)

My Brother In-law Is Making Advances At Me / Help! My Sister In-law Is Seducing Me / My Mother In-law Is Doing This , And She Is Pushing Me !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by InspiredGene: 12:05pm On Sep 23, 2022
Hi.....

I need your help and prayers. I am facing to many challenges in my marriage. I got married last year to a man I met in my place of work. He was a security guard but a graduate. We got close because I really took interest in the fact that he is doing a security guard job despite being a graduate. He also was very kind to me. I found out that we are even the same age mate. We are both 33 years old.

Somehow, he also began to like me and he would tell me that if he had money, he would have married me. Finally, through my network, I got him a job as Security Manager in a hotel. Next thing, he started toasting me, telling me he wants to marry me. I liked him alot. He was very kind and helpful.

Then he told me he wanted to get married before the end of the year. I was ok with that cos age too is not on my side. We got married. We both contributed to the wedding but my contribution was more. I did not mind cos I earn higher than him. Our marriage went smooth until exactly two months after marriage. His mother started calling and asking me if I have missed my period yet.

Initially, I will laugh and say to mama ….that she should relax…that it will happen in time. This woman will say she got pregnant on her own wedding night and she sees no reason why I cannot get pregnant after marriage. That maybe I am too old to have children at 33. I thought it was a minor thing before I knew it…she carried her wahala to my husband…and he too began to monitor my period. Anytime my period came, he would get upset.

He would say I am disappointing him….that he knows he has strong sperm…and that there is no woman he sleeps with, that does not get pregnant …I was stunned at their behavior. But nonetheless…I went to the doctor for check up after the 4th month…the doctor cleared me and told me to bring my husband. My husband refused to go. This became quarrel. Mama too was in one corner adding fire to the matter.

I became sad anytime I saw my period too. We got married in November last year. In June, called me and said she has found a solution. That she will take me to a traditional doctor in their village. That she will come and pick me up for the appointment. I told her point blank…that I am not going to see any body in her village. My husband got upset and said he will deal with me if I do not obey his mother. The anger with which he handled the matter made me.....

https://livelystones.ng/true-life-story-my-mother-in-law-is-suffocating-my-marriage/
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by HarlequinLekex: 12:14pm On Sep 23, 2022
Na God they do am na
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by virginprincess(f): 1:00pm On Sep 23, 2022
Nawa o.
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Baronthecelebri: 1:17pm On Sep 23, 2022
Divorce your husband

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Ishilove: 3:27pm On Sep 23, 2022
The anger with which he handled the matter made me even more fearful that this was not ordinary.

I tried to talk to my husband. My pastor wife tried. He refused to listen. I told him as a Christian, its against my faith to go traditional…he said he too is a Christian and nothing wrong in seeking help from traditional gods. That colonization brought new religion which is not African. I told him I was scared…he said his mother cannot harm me…so I should have no fear …so I told him to give me sometime to think about it.

After thinking for about a week, he asked me if I was ready…I told him I was not convinced cos from the look…its clear that this was idolism they wanted me to get involved in. Hubby said ok…since I refused…anything he does…I should not blame him. In July, my husband started cheating with a woman in his workplace…he did not even hide it…he said he wanted to show me, that any woman he sleeps with will get pregnant. That almost sent me to my grave…I cried and cried until my heart hurt. I could not imagine how I got involved in this kind of marriage.

This same guy that was so kind and loving when we dated…how did he change so fast and become such a beast? everyone said I should pray…that its his mother’s influence….I agree…I never knew the mother did not like me…we only met twice before the marriage. Last month ending, my husband told me the girl he is sleeping with is pregnant but he wants her to abort…because he wants to give me one more chance to get pregnant before the end of the year.

I asked him how sure he is that he is the one that got the girl pregnant. He slapped me for saying that. He began to boast of how many girls have done abortion for him. That they are not less than 8. That I should go and ask them. That I sued jazz to charm a young man like him to marry an old person like me…that the only way is for me to submit to his mother, so they can counter the jazz that is making me not get pregnant. Can you imagine?

My husband said its a taboo in their family….that any woman who gets married into the family must be pregnant…any infertile wife will be sent away. So, am I fertile? I told him the doctor cleared me…he said that is onyibo medicine…I have to do traditional medicine. That is is not effective…that any woman who uses the traditional medicine must get pregnant immediately.

Please help me. If I do not get pregnant before the end of the year…my marriage will be over. I am afraid of going to see the traditional doctor in that village. Sometimes, I wonder if I should I go and see the woman? Maybe there is something wrong with me? Since my hubby got someone else pregnant…maybe its really me.

All these wahala is bothering me. My church is praying and fasting for me. Going traditional, is it not against my Christian faith? my family is saying if they insist on this mama’s way, then I should start thinking of leaving the marriage…they are also disappointed that after waiting for so long to marry…that this is the kind of man and mother in-law I ended up with. His own siblings in the village are supporting their mother and brother.

I am tired, afraid and exhausted. Did I make a mistake by marrying? Now I understand why some women wish their mother in-law is not alive…see my marriage is not even up to a year…see how this woman is controlling my husband and trying to suffocate me…this man has forgotten how I helped him…truly this must be the work of juju..no day goes without my mother in-law sending me message or calling me to taunt me.

What am I going to do? Do you think I use pray and go for the traditional medicine or start preparing for the end of my marriage? oh my God where are you…what have I done to deserve this?….oh please me…please help…

Anonymous

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by gly(m): 3:37pm On Sep 23, 2022
[quote author=Ishilove post=116944487][/quote]

Thanks Ishilove
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by iamyemiakins(m): 3:58pm On Sep 23, 2022
Initially, I will laugh and say to mama ….that she should relax…that it will happen in time. This woman will say she got pregnant on her own wedding night and she sees no reason why I cannot get pregnant after marriage. That maybe I am too old to have children at 33. I thought it was a minor thing before I knew it…she carried her wahala to my husband…and he too began to monitor my period. Anytime my period came, he would get upset.
Abi she carry belle outside wedlock, dem con rush do small something on her head

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Empro1(m): 3:59pm On Sep 23, 2022
Hmmm. You are a Christian, at this point always remember that there is a God who loves you more than anyone in the world. God answers prayers. I'll advice, don't givegup on your faith by going to the traditional doctor. Jesus Christ is always with you. These are test of faith moments, remember nothing in this world last for ever. Jesus loves you. At the appropriate tine, be will act. Stand strong ma'am. I am happy the church is also in prayers with you. Same here. Kk. You are strong in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Kemadealadire(f): 4:53pm On Sep 23, 2022
Lol, fiction and why is the man not willing to see the doctor

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Omuuvwie(m): 7:32pm On Sep 23, 2022
Beg your husband to follow you to the hospital for check up at least to know who is faulty and do the needful. After the check up.
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Wizywiz(m): 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2022
All these cut and join story wey no happen....OP calm down ooo
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Amope28: 8:15pm On Sep 23, 2022
This story just reminded me of my ex and his mom.she also started telling me to remove whatever contraceptive I was using so I can get pregnant immediately on my wedding night,I told her I wasn't on one.A month after wedding,she would call and ask if I had taken in,it was so traumatizing and I wasn't even up to 30.
Later,she started asking her son and each time I saw my period,it was war in the house like it's my fault.
He also blamed me by the third month telling me,he had impregnated three women,that how come me that he disvirgined is finding it had to conceive.i experienced emotional and phycological abuse
I conceive at seven month,all my ex mom in law could say was,I should stop attending my church,I should attend CAC and not use hospital but Church maternity home because the child she went to born at the hospital didn't go home with her...can you just imagine.
So many things happened after,when I gave birth,my child had a bad colic,she still blamed me that I took too much of sweet things nii...
I couldn't cope because her son believed her over me which is fine and I asked for a divorce and he gave it sharpsharp.
If your husband is not supportive of you,it's only eye service that can save you with this type of mom in law...
All the best

I need your help and prayers. I am facing to many challenges in my marriage. I got married last year to a man I met in my place of work. He was a security guard but a graduate. We got close because I really took interest in the fact that he is doing a security guard job despite being a graduate. He also was very kind to me. I found out that we are even the same age mate. We are both 33 years old.

Somehow, he also began to like me and he would tell me that if he had money, he would have married me. Finally, through my network, I got him a job as Security Manager in a hotel. Next thing, he started toasting me, telling me he wants to marry me. I liked him alot. He was very kind and helpful.

Then he told me he wanted to get married before the end of the year. I was ok with that cos age too is not on my side. We got married. We both contributed to the wedding but my contribution was more. I did not mind cos I earn higher than him. Our marriage went smooth until exactly two months after marriage. His mother started calling and asking me if I have missed my period yet.

He would say I am disappointing him….that he knows he has strong sperm…and that there is no woman he sleeps with, that does not get pregnant …I was stunned at their behavior. But nonetheless…I went to the doctor for check up after the 4th month…the doctor cleared me and told me to bring my husband. My husband refused to go. This became quarrel. Mama too was in one corner adding fire to the matter.

I became sad anytime I saw my period too. We got married in November last year. In June, called me and said she has found a solution. That she will take me to a traditional doctor in their village. That she will come and pick me up for the appointment. I told her point blank…that I am not going to see any body in her village. My husband got upset and said he will deal with me if I do not obey his mother. The anger with which he handled the matter made me.....

https://livelystones.ng/true-life-story-my-mother-in-law-is-suffocating-my-marriage/[/quote]
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Amope28: 8:17pm On Sep 23, 2022

https://livelystones.ng/true-life-story-my-mother-in-law-is-suffocating-my-marriage/[/quote]
This story just reminded me of my ex and his mom.she also started telling me to remove whatever contraceptive I was using so I can get pregnant immediately on my wedding night,I told her I wasn't on one.A month after wedding,she would call and ask if I had taken in,it was so traumatizing and I wasn't even up to 30.
Later,she started asking her son and each time I saw my period,it was war in the house like it's my fault.
He also blamed me by the third month telling me,he had impregnated three women,that how come me that he disvirgined is finding it had to conceive.i experienced emotional and phycological abuse
I conceive at seven month,all my ex mom in law could say was,I should stop attending my church,I should attend CAC and not use hospital but Church maternity home because the child she went to born at the hospital didn't go home with her...can you just imagine.
So many things happened after,when I gave birth,my child had a bad colic,she still blamed me that I took too much of sweet things nii...
I couldn't cope because her son believed her over me which is fine and I asked for a divorce and he gave it sharpsharp.
If your husband is not supportive of you,it's only eye service that can save you with this type of mom in law...
All the best
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Owologbo(m): 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2022
[quote author=Ishilove post=116944487][/quote] craze de worry your husband. Why is he scared of going to the hospital for check up? if you believe you are not save in that your marriage, you know what to do.
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Frizz001: 9:14pm On Sep 23, 2022
Maybe you should discreetly try away match as well. Once you take in, divorce his empty ass and have your peace. You may choose to keep the pregnancy or not but it'll be clear at least that you are not at fault and your in-laws do not mean well for you at all.

Bottom line is, start preparing and planning to exit that marriage because the oaf you married is an unsupportive, ungrateful opportunist tied to his mother's apron strings. Even if you get pregnant for him now, they will look for another reason to frustrate you. Since he has used your age to insult you, he will never appreciate you.

8 Likes

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by cococandy(f): 11:40pm On Sep 23, 2022
Why do you still want this man?

3 Likes

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by JONSYN7154: 12:08am On Sep 24, 2022
Am sure they are IGALA because that's how the behave.

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Redstubpen: 3:33am On Sep 24, 2022
angry
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by AWONEYAN(m): 4:26am On Sep 24, 2022
It's clear that you have of different breed spiritually and psychologically.

The guy is still an idol worshiper, a cheat, who lack understanding of marriage.
The nature you see when he was a security guard was his fake nature occasioned by his poor state.

Please don't loose your self in all of these.
Don't go in to idol worshipping, with them cos you don't know the extent they will go.

As per hitting you, he has started a dangerous act, which might continue.

Sister, God may have reasons why he hasn't been able to impregnate you....Have a break. Don't die of depression or abusive marriage.....
God will give you a good marriage

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by immortalmortal: 7:02am On Sep 24, 2022
I am surprised that someone will stay in this kind of marriage. If you stay on you deserve what ever you get. Not like you cannot fend for yourself. Abeg find one bobo and knack him wella. Snap result and send to him.

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Sweetvie: 7:10am On Sep 24, 2022
Turn it to rough for him so that he can also go the hospital for check-up. I don't know y he is afraid of check-up if nothing is wrong with him.
Lady should be calming down when it comes to marriage, it not something that you will only be staying together for days, weeks or months
It's forever... A lifetime decision
Do a proper check up on him, forget about the nice part... Who won't be nice when wooing a girl
Know his attitude well and family... Don't just jump into marriage all in the saying that time is not on your side. All is well sha

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Hafizah(f): 8:51am On Sep 24, 2022
Why is your husband refusing to see a doctor. This myopic thinking that only the wife is the reason for not getting pregnant has died a long time ago, both spouse need to be tested. You can never tell the true character of a man in poverty. This marriage is not even upto a year. OP you are 33 but you give yourself the impression that you are 50, stop thinking you are too old to conceive. Let nobody frustrate you into doing things you dont want to do. Let your husband see the doctor too

1 Like

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Mindlog: 9:24am On Sep 24, 2022
Any woman in such a marriage, who goes ahead to get pregnant for the husband, has just handcuffed herself.

2 Likes

Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by bummyla(m): 9:40am On Sep 24, 2022
Don't go any where! Devil doesn't give any good gift! Thank God you still have a good job! Know your worth!
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Machalla(m): 11:46am On Sep 24, 2022
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by bukatyne(f): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2022
AWONEYAN:
It's clear that you have of different breed spiritually and psychologically.

The guy is still an idol worshiper, a cheat, who lack understanding of marriage.
The nature you see when he was a security guard was his fake nature occasioned by his poor state.

Please don't loose your self in all of these.
Don't go in to idol worshipping, with them cos you don't know the extent they will go.

As per hitting you, he has started a dangerous act, which might continue.

Sister, God may have reasons why he hasn't been able to impregnate you....Have a break. Don't die of depression or abusive marriage.....
God will give you a good marriage

@bold: well said kiss kiss kiss kiss

The husband's unwillingness to go to the hospital while willing to try traditional means also speaks volumes.

If they (mother & son) are not willing to continue the marriage, then let them go.
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 24, 2022
Tell her to mind her business, and if that Mama's boy you call your husband keeps listening to her over you, I suggest you leave because it's like he's married to his mama.

I don't normally advise people to divorce their spouses, but until your husband grows up and stop listening to his mama over you, he's not a man and he's definitely not ready for marriage.

In fact, you deserve better than that Mama's boy.

People should stop getting married because they think age is no longer on their side, but they should get married because they're ready for the responsibilities that come with marriage.
InspiredGene:
Hi.....

https://livelystones.ng/true-life-story-my-mother-in-law-is-suffocating-my-marriage/
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by FREDCLSSICO7(m): 11:38pm On Sep 25, 2022
Kemadealadire:
Lol, fiction and why is the man not willing to see the doctor
l
lol
maybe he get low sperm count
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by FREDCLSSICO7(m): 11:47pm On Sep 25, 2022
JONSYN7154:
Am sure they are IGALA because that's how the behave.

what has tribe got to do here
must you always bring tribe in this matter
someone is seeking advice and help all you could do is to start bashing one tribe
did she say the tribe that's been tormenting her in the whole write up
the fact that you suffered inhuman treatment from one tribe doesn't mean you'll paint all of them as been the same...
Let's learn to argue or give solution without involving tribes in it...
the rate at which tribes are been attached here is not good at all
if it's not Hausa it will be Igbo or Yoruba
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by JONSYN7154: 7:45am On Sep 26, 2022
FREDCLSSICO7:

what has tribe got to do here
must you always bring tribe in this matter
someone is seeking advice and help all you could do is to start bashing one tribe
did she say the tribe that's been tormenting her in the whole write up
the fact that you suffered inhuman treatment from one tribe doesn't mean you'll paint all of them as been the same...
Let's learn to argue or give solution without involving tribes in it...
the rate at which tribes are been attached here is not good at all
if it's not Hausa it will be Igbo or Yoruba
What are you saying now? Am a bona fide igala from ogume.

If you find my post about igala people annoying because you're igala too then am sorry.
But also know that that's how our people behave.
Re: My Mother In-law Is Suffocating My Marriage by FREDCLSSICO7(m): 1:28pm On Sep 26, 2022
JONSYN7154:
What are you saying now? Am a bona fide igala from ogume.

If you find my post about igala people annoying because you're igala too then am sorry.
But also know that that's how our people behave.

Me Been An Igala Boy Or Not Has Got Nothing To Do With What You Said Earlier
I don't pick offense at all o, am just trying to let you know that one bad experience with one tribe does not mean you'll just generalized all the tribes as been the same thing.
you said that's how your people behaves. Does that mean they is no good person amongst your people? If Yes I Hope You Won't Have A Problem If on the long run someone termed all your Women as Bad Mother in-laws and all your men as bad husbands?
Every language has it's own flaws
Take for instance with the happenings around you
We Have Terrorist Attack Which Are Mostly Carried Out By The Northerners. Does That Mean That All The Hausa's Are Terrorist?
Or With The Rituals Killing And Kidnappings going on in the southern part of the country which are mostly carried out by the western and eastern part of the country is it proper if we say all the igbos and Yoruba's are ritualist and kidnappers? No

N.B We Don't Just Judge A Whole Tribe Because Of One Big Mistake Or Experience We Had With That Particular tribe

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lady Calls Out Her Younger Sister For Snatching Her Husband / To The Men, I'm Just Wondering Why. / Why Do Babies Fall Sick When They Start Teething

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.