Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 (2598 Views)

A Sound Sharp Venza Of Yesterday Now Throwing Blue Smokes / Between Nigeria Used Volvo Xc90 2004 And Honda Civic 2006 Which Is A Better Buy / Advice Please - Honda Civic 2006-2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 3:52am On Sep 24, 2022
Hi guys/gurus,

I just bought a Nigerian used Honda Civic 2006, last month, the owner was using 20w-50, after the whole servicing, I changed the oil to 5w-20 (as recommended on the engine cover),

The car started bringing out blue smoke on startup, but now it's worse, the smokes follows me everywhere while driving without stopping and gets worse whenever I step on the accelerator.. while the check engine light is showing .

I showed 2 Mechanics and without opening the bonnet, they assumed its the rings and needs engine rebuild/ringing..

Please advise gurus

Cc: Gazzuzz ; cyborg123; Nobody

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by YourMrBoo: 4:39am On Sep 24, 2022
You left the mechanic suggestion to come to nl for advise.

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by incandescentena: 4:48am On Sep 24, 2022
Okay......i believe the former owner wasn't changing the oil completely, he was only "topping'' the engine with oil when its not gauged. That Engine needs ringing or even replacement of engine block.

Honda 2006 is very old you know.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 4:59am On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:
Hi guys/gurus,

I just bought a Nigerian used Honda Civic 2006, last month, the owner was using 20w-50, after the whole servicing, I changed the oil to 5w-20 (as recommended on the engine cover),

The car started bringing out blue smoke on startup, but now it's worse, the smokes follows me everywhere while driving without stopping and gets worse whenever I step on the accelerator.. while the check engine light is showing .

I showed 2 Mechanics and without opening the bonnet, they assumed its the rings and needs engine rebuild/ringing..

Please advise gurus

Is the oil burning/shorting?

The 5w 20w is a synthetic oil that is cleaning the sludge out of the car. My fear is that the car oil pump filter may go blocked and affect how oil is pumped into the engine. Watch out for oil light so your engine will not be damaged

Also scan the car and share codes here
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by cyborg123(m): 7:18am On Sep 24, 2022
Revert back to the exact oil type and brand the former owner has been using IMMEDIATELY.

It's too late to follow factory recommendation because:
1. Car engine is now 'high mileage' due to age.
2. The engine tolerances must have adjusted to the thick oil being used before.

4 Likes

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 8:27am On Sep 24, 2022
Dozieson:

Is the oil burning/shorting?

The 5w 20w is a synthetic oil that is cleaning the sludge out of the car. My fear is that the car oil pump filter may go blocked and affect how oil is pumped into the engine. Watch out for oil light so your engine will not be damaged

Also scan the car and share codes here

Yes the oil is shorting, every few days I need to top up the oil.
There is no oil light, it appeared once, a red light and then stopped, and hasn't reappeared ever since for 1 month..
But the blue smoke refuse to stop, and seems worse as every acceleration is a huge smoke behind, making it embarrassing
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 8:29am On Sep 24, 2022
cyborg123:
Revert back to the exact oil type and brand the former owner has been using IMMEDIATELY.

It's too late to follow factory recommendation because:
1. Car engine is now 'high mileage' due to age.
2. The engine tolerances must have adjusted to the thick oil being used before.

Okay, the Car mileage is 311KM approximately...
He was using a Total Quartz 5000 (20w-50)... While I just drained all the oil including the top up different oil and got a Mobil 5w-20.

So should I revert back to the owners own? Will it stop the smoking ?
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2022
YourMrBoo:
You left the mechanic suggestion to come to nl for advise.

Good luck

It was mechanic suggestions and my naivety of been a first car without any experience brought me to this stage, it's only fair I educate myself some more to avoid a repeat of such in the nearest future
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 8:33am On Sep 24, 2022
incandescentena:
Okay......i believe the former owner wasn't changing the oil completely, he was only "topping'' the engine with oil when its not gauged. That Engine needs ringing or even replacement of engine block.

Honda 2006 is very old you know.....

My worries was when I went for inspection 3 different days, the car never for once smoked at all, cold start, on motion, never.. until a mecho handled it and it started from cold start smoking to continuos..

Now I don't know wat to do, I'm just so confused
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by cyborg123(m): 9:18am On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:

Okay, the Car mileage is 311KM approximately...
He was using a Total Quartz 5000 (20w-50)... While I just drained all the oil including the top up different oil and got a Mobil 5w-20.

So should I revert back to the owners own? Will it stop the smoking ?
There's a high likelihood it would stop. But I'm not guaranteeing that.

You have to test and give feedback. If possible, use the previous owner's mechanic.

Also... you don't necessarily have to waste the current oil you are using. You can drain and use it with your generator.

1 Like

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by YourMrBoo: 11:38am On Sep 24, 2022
If it's black smoke I would have asked you to check something with the car... Buh since you said it's blue smoke it's obvious your rings needs to be changed

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 12:36pm On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:

My worries was when I went for inspection 3 different days, the car never for once smoked at all, cold start, on motion, never.. until a mecho handled it and it started from cold start smoking to continuos..

Now I don't know wat to do, I'm just so confused

You didn't answer my question of oil shorting.

That will lead to the next course of action
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 12:38pm On Sep 24, 2022
YourMrBoo:
If it's black smoke I would have asked you to check something with the car... Buh since you said it's blue smoke it's obvious your rings needs to be changed

Not totally true. Rings needs to be changed if oil is burning or shorting
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by YourMrBoo: 12:41pm On Sep 24, 2022
Dozieson:

Oga I too know, he already said he always tops his oil meaning it shorts...

See as you just dey fast to correct comment buh you haven't proferred any solution... Can't take you serious until we hear from you
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 4:22pm On Sep 24, 2022
Dozieson:

You didn't answer my question of oil shorting.

That will lead to the next course of action

Yes oil is shorting... 5L oil lasts for 2 weeks ... 1L oil last for 3 days or so
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 4:26pm On Sep 24, 2022
cyborg123:

There's a high likelihood it would stop. But I'm not guaranteeing that.

You have to test and give feedback. If possible, use the previous owner's mechanic.

Also... you don't necessarily have to waste the current oil you are using. You can drain and use it with your generator.

The way it' smokes en, it's similar to those trucks that carries pure water and trailers . That blue smoke thingy that follows them nonstop.. it's embarrassing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 4:29pm On Sep 24, 2022
Dozieson:

Same thing 2 mechanic said, while another took his time to explain fully as this was my first time patronizing him, he said the engine block needs complete replacement
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 5:32pm On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:

Yes oil is shorting... 5L oil lasts for 2 weeks ... 1L oil last for 3 days or so

This is much o..
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by kernniejay(m): 5:33pm On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:
Hi guys/gurus,

Please advise gurus

Listen to the advice given by cyborg123.
However, there are two or three things you need to understand.
First one is that as the car is getting old, the engine will be requiring thicker oil to lubricate it because the engine will be wearing out and only thick oil like 20w50 can protect it.
Secondly, previous owner has been using 20w50 and the engine is already adapted to that thick oil, reverting back to thinner oil (5w30) which is the factory recommended will cause damage because the engine is already adapted to the thick oil (20w50) which has been protecting it. If you now apply 5w30, it will be too soft for the engine and friction will take place, causing more wearing out.
Third point is that, there might be sludge in the engine already which should have been flushed out first before applying the factory-recommended oil. If you apply the light oil (5w30) without removing the sludge, engine will damage quicker and you will be seeing smoke.
Solution: Overhaul the engine if you have a very competent mechanic OR buy a new engine.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 5:35pm On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:

Same thing 2 mechanic said, while another took his time to explain fully as this was my first time patronizing him, he said the engine block needs complete replacement

To know if the block needs replacement, the engine will be dropped and bore will be measured. If the bore is bigger na normal,then the block is gone.

The luck you have is that the engine is relatively cheap to replace.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 5:53pm On Sep 24, 2022
kernniejay:

Listen to the advice given by cyborg123.
However, there are two or three things you need to understand.
First one is that as the car is getting old, the engine will be requiring thicker oil to lubricate it because the engine will be wearing out and only thick oil like 20w50 can protect it.
Secondly, previous owner has been using 20w50 and the engine is already adapted to that thick oil, reverting back to thinner oil (5w30) which is the factory recommended will cause damage because the engine is already adapted to the thick oil (20w50) which has been protecting it. If you now apply 5w30, it will be too soft for the engine and friction will take place, causing more wearing out.
Third point is that, there might be sludge in the engine already which should have been flushed out first before applying the factory-recommended oil. If you apply the light oil (5w30) without removing the sludge, engine will damage quicker and you will be seeing smoke.
Solution: Overhaul the engine if you have a very competent mechanic OR buy a new engine.

Thanks so much, now I understand that the whole problem started from me been naive, inexperienced and informed caused this problem, and using an incompetent mechanic also at first whom used 2 different oils which started the problem and then I nailed the coffin with mine.

Now I need to find funds for either the rebuild or new engine, since the mechanics said the engine block needs overhauling..

Guess, I learnt the hard way �
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 5:56pm On Sep 24, 2022
Dozieson:

This is much o..

Very much, last time I drained the oil completely and poured the 5w-20 engine oil, 5L with stop smoking treatment was 2 weeks ago precisely today..

This morning, the engine had almost no oil left in it, the mechanic showed me a trace of oil that dips from the engine blocks into the exhaust
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Treadway: 6:25pm On Sep 24, 2022
Someone already told you what you need to do next, as inexpensive damage control. Try that first. Drain the oil and revert back to the thicker 20w50. When a car has been used for about 2 years with a certain kind of oil, just continue using that same oil. Moving back to recommended spec after years of abuse leads to high oil burn like you are witnessing as the 5w20 or 5w30 oil is far too light compared to the thick (although wrong) oil that it has become accustomed to.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by dicksonadams(m): 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:

Do you drive everyday? Or Uber?
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 7:14pm On Sep 24, 2022
dicksonadams:

Do you drive everyday? Or Uber?

Everyday, Home to work to and fro .. Monday till Saturday
I don't drive on Sundays
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2022
Treadway:
Someone already told you what you need to do next, as inexpensive damage control. Try that first. Drain the oil and revert back to the thicker 20w50. When a car has been used for about 2 years with a certain kind of oil, just continue using that same oil. Moving back to recommended spec after years of abuse leads to high oil burn like you are witnessing as the 5w20 or 5w30 oil is far too light compared to the thick (although wrong) oil that it has become accustomed to.

I wanted to do that this morning until I was showed the visible oil leakages coming out of the engine beneath around the body, it doesn't stain the floor, the different mechanics said it's the leakages that's causing the oil and it's from the Engine block.. I'm just learning all these things
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 7:24pm On Sep 24, 2022
Dozieson:

To know if the block needs replacement, the engine will be dropped and bore will be measured. If the bore is bigger na normal,then the block is gone.

The luck you have is that the engine is relatively cheap to replace.

A colleague of mine said, since I don't have the available funds yet for the new engine, that I should do the engine block overhauling, that it is also good enough, and should last for 6 months - 1 year atleast, I don't know if it's advisable, because that's what a mechanic also said to do..

Also, if I do the overhauling, which oil will I use? Is it the car recommended oil of 5w-20? Or the previous owner oil history of 20W-50?
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 8:10pm On Sep 24, 2022
koloqua:

A colleague of mine said, since I don't have the available funds yet for the new engine, that I should do the engine block overhauling, that it is also good enough, and should last for 6 months - 1 year atleast, I don't know if it's advisable, because that's what a mechanic also said to do..

Also, if I do the overhauling, which oil will I use? Is it the car recommended oil of 5w-20? Or the previous owner oil history of 20W-50?

So you are buying a new block? What is the cost? Hope you will get a good one with the right bore measurements

Use Mobil 2000 5w 30 after the overhauling
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by dicksonadams(m): 11:13am On Sep 25, 2022
koloqua:

Everyday, Home to work to and fro .. Monday till Saturday
I don't drive on Sundays

How many hours a day? On average
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 12:33am On Sep 26, 2022
dicksonadams:

How many hours a day? On average

Morning from 7:30am till 8:10am
Evening from 6:00pm till 6:30pm

Daily it's like 1hour max driving
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 12:36am On Sep 26, 2022
Dozieson:

So you are buying a new block? What is the cost? Hope you will get a good one with the right bore measurements

Use Mobil 2000 5w 30 after the overhauling

Is there a way I can measure it myself? Because I dropped it at the mechanic place and paid only advance, He said it's half engine he will buy then mix the parts needing changing with one another..
He said total cost will be 95k excluding engine oil, so I paid him 40k and said will balance if work is done..
Will I use the 20w-50 once he's done? Or revert to the recommended 5w-20?.. is Mobil 2000 5w-30 same with 5w-20 as stated on the engine cover? Can I use it in placement of the other ?
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by mejai(m): 3:37am On Sep 26, 2022
koloqua:

Is there a way I can measure it myself? Because I dropped it at the mechanic place and paid only advance, He said it's half engine he will buy then mix the parts needing changing with one another..
He said total cost will be 95k excluding engine oil, so I paid him 40k and said will balance if work is done..
Will I use the 20w-50 once he's done? Or revert to the recommended 5w-20?.. is Mobil 2000 5w-30 same with 5w-20 as stated on the engine cover? Can I use it in placement of the other ?
how much is complete engine?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Navigate Nigeria With Our Garmin GPS - Nationwide. / Proposed Restorationn0 Project:1994 Jeep Wrangler / Where Did All The Cars Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.