Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. (1588 Views)

This Is What Mortar And Pestle Looks Like In Brazil (photo) / Lady Gets Deported For Traveling With The New Nigerian Passport (Photos) / Mistakes Parents Make When Traveling With Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by ebubey(f): 4:04pm On Sep 25, 2022
There’s this superstitious belief about traveling with mortar and pestle. It is believed to cause accident and to prevent this, you need to put coins in the mortar before traveling.

Could this be true or its just a superstitious belief.
Have you traveled with a mortar belief?

Admin please help push this to front page. Thank
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Chizzyjforce: 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2022
What of the producers? How do they transport it to market?

5 Likes

Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by immortalcrown(m): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2022
ebubey:
There’s this superstitious belief about traveling with mortar and pestle. It is believed to cause accident and to prevent this, you need to put coins in the mortar before traveling.

Could this be true or its just a superstitious belief.
Have you traveled with a mortar belief?

Admin please help push this to front page. Thank
How do the sellers transport the items to market and how does the coin prevent the death?
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Natbrowny: 4:10pm On Sep 25, 2022
immortalcrown:
How do the sellers transport the items to market and how does the coin prevent the death?

grin grin grin by slaughtering a white fowl that has a black father and mixed breed mother..
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by kestolove95(m): 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2022
Another lie is don't sit on a mortar if you don't want to be short
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Machinegun91(m): 4:14pm On Sep 25, 2022
Smoke weed before traveling with mortal and pestle no go shake your vehicle.

Demons don't dare that precious veggies

1 Like

Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 25, 2022
How else does something qualify to be a superstition?

Logically, what physical or known attributes does a pestle and mortar have that are dangerous enough to cause an accident?

Of course, it's a superstition. It could have happened in the past on some consecutive or reoccurring occasions where vehicles with such things in them have accidents but the accidents aren't necessarily tied to the pestle and mortar.

But many Africans will rather resort to making up such superstitions instead of doing deep research and looking into the causes of such accidents.

Don't worry. In the New Era, God willing, the great reformer and emperor, "The Unity" will come to enlighten us better.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Es350: 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2022
Obedience is better than sacrifice. It’s better to put a coin or a naira note in the mortar than to find out what happens when you don’t.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by samwash(m): 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2022
I have had this experience twice,
When we were packing to ur own house, the drive of the truck told us to put a coin in the mortar.
I ones bought a mortar and pestle in Kano one time, on transporting it to Benin, the drive of the bus said I should look for a coin & put in side but I had no coin on me so, he told me to find a nail to put into the mortar, I nailed it inside in such a way it will not fall off & I remember putting money inside the mortar as well.
I asked why ?
This more than a superstition, it's a belief. The wood in making those mortar and pestle are not ordinary wood,they have their own powers.

1 Like

Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by duro4chang(m): 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2022
It can't be true. I was coming to Lagos and on the way I bought mortal and pestle and put them in a car I tell you no accident.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Nzecorneboy: 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2022
I once heard of this story but I no believe
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Warmaterial(m): 1:33am On Sep 26, 2022
Nawaoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Cock and bull story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by ednut1(m): 2:37am On Sep 26, 2022
Nigerians also believed india beat us 99-1

2 Likes

Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by Clicked: 4:15am On Sep 26, 2022
samwash:
The wood in making those mortar and pestle are not ordinary wood,they have their own powers.

What is this? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:52am On Sep 26, 2022
samwash:
I have had this experience twice,
When we were packing to ur own house, the drive of the truck told us to put a coin in the mortar.
I ones bought a mortar and pestle in Kano one time, on transporting it to Benin, the drive of the bus said I should look for a coin & put in side but I had no coin on me so, he told me to find a nail to put into the mortar, I nailed it inside in such a way it will not fall off & I remember putting money inside the mortar as well.
I asked why ?
This more than a superstition, it's a belief. The wood in making those mortar and pestle are not ordinary wood,they have their own powers.

What you had doesn't pass for an experience.
You only had the opportunity to hear the superstitious belief from those propagating it, without putting it to test.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by samwash(m): 8:37pm On Sep 26, 2022
. grin
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by samwash(m): 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

What you had doesn't pass for an experience.
You only had the opportunity to hear the superstitious belief from those propagating it, without putting it to test.

My guy, there's not need putting the superstition believe into practice since am not the only passenger, moreover I have to comply to his directives cos he's the owner of the vehicle.
His vehicle, his rules.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by ebubey(f): 1:26am On Sep 30, 2022
duro4chang:
It can be true. I was coming to kaios and on the way I bought mortal and pestle and put them in a car I tell you on accident.
The car had accident?
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by ebubey(f): 1:26am On Sep 30, 2022
Chizzyjforce:
What of the producers? How do they transport it to market?
My thoughts exactly. I was told they hardly transport them
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by duro4chang(m): 6:11am On Sep 30, 2022
ebubey:

The car had accident?
Sorry. There was a typo graphical error. I wanted to write that there was no accident.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by otukpoyam(m): 8:33am On Jan 06, 2023
Just don't leave it empty. That's what I heard.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by symbianDON(m): 9:28am On Jan 06, 2023
That's an agbado and cassava story jare! I have travelled with motar and pestle twice and NOTHING happened. Besides, I'm just learning this for the first time.
Re: Traveling With Mortar And Pestle Is Bad. Superstition Or True. by otukpoyam(m): 10:14am On Jan 07, 2023
symbianDON:
That's an agbado and cassava story jare! I have travelled with motar and pestle twice and NOTHING happened. Besides, I'm just learning this for the first time.

It's clearly a superstitious belief. But some people believe it heavily. Some say you must put money inside, some say coins, some say just put anything. Just don't leave it empty. Well, true or not, who knows?

(1) (Reply)

Summer Job Abroad Before Nysc / Nigerians In Dubai, Stop Here! / @akolawole,vor,funkybabe, Mr Pataki And Other Lecturers On This Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.