Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,391 members, 7,819,403 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

John Mikel Obi Retires From Football - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Mikel Obi Retires From Football (42194 Views)

John Mikel Obi Returns To Training Ahead Of Clash Against South Africa / John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family / John Mikel Obi Playing With His Twin Daughters (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Abdul4trust1(m): 6:26pm On Sep 27, 2022
agadam:
BREAKING: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football After 20 Years Of Professional Career

Former Chelsea and Super Eagles Midfielder, John Mikel Obi has announced his retirement from football via his Instagram account on Tuesday, 27 September, 2022.

Mikel John Obi, born on 22 April 1987, is a Nigerian professional footballer who formally played as a defensive midfielder.

Mikel began his career with local club Plateau United, before joining Norwegian club Lyn at the age of 17 in 2004.

In 2006, he made a controversial transfer to English club Chelsea after Manchester United claimed they had already signed him.

He stayed with Chelsea for 11 years, before moving to China with Tianjin TEDA in 2017. After two years in China, he returned to England on a short-term deal with Middlesbrough, before joining Trabzonspor on a free transfer in July 2019.

Mikel moved back to England in August 2020 joining Stoke City. In a 14-year international career between 2005 and 2019, he played 91 times for Nigeria, scoring six goals.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjAv5FDKoLq/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
congratulations Obi Mikel. We love you and do enjoy your retirement

2 Likes

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by sexymonkey(m): 6:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
kenzysmith:
Asamoah Gyan, mutari,badu,Suarez, and other super stars went back to their and played at least a season to give back to their league but our players no go ever come back how the league want take grow setting bad examples even yenkini who was Nigeria all time scorer and an afcon winner humble himself to play in the NpFL. no be your fault baba na okocha and them KANU wey dey feel too big to come play for our league na. Start am
Sani kaita and Ahmed Musa nkogrin

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Lamasta(m): 6:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
He should go for his coaching badge sharpally

2 Likes

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 27, 2022
The real Obi has retired. You had a proud career my brother. Best of luck in your next endeavors

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Emperormartin(m): 6:49pm On Sep 27, 2022
He'll be a great manager if he ventures into that area

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Pootle: 6:52pm On Sep 27, 2022
kenzysmith:
he is younger than Messi and Ronaldo o and una go wan compare una self with whites .

BET king you have another signee oya oga go follow okocha dey dance atelegu for betking adverts

u no well i swear grin
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Goke7: 7:02pm On Sep 27, 2022
One of Nigeria's best and most underrated player.

Wish you all the best Miikel, You came saw and conquered. I remain one of your most grateful fans.

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by marwanafrica: 7:05pm On Sep 27, 2022
Fryzi:
Mikel wasn't lucky with football. Happy retirement Sir.

Ur talk no get weight at all.
E easy to carry champions league?

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Ubinemenri: 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2022
You no see Roney talk...abi him na black?[color=#006600][/color]
Layographics:

Na Football age he dey use my brother...hin old pass Messi and Ronaldo

2 Likes

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by JoyousFurnitire(m): 7:14pm On Sep 27, 2022
WowSweetGuy:
Ao mikel is older than me with only 2months and see all his achievements

Na waa o. I no try for this life so far
grin

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:17pm On Sep 27, 2022
How I remember the argument of funny soccer pundits those days comparing Mikel to Messi. You will hear
" Why Mikel is better than Messi"
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by ILuvKIDS: 7:20pm On Sep 27, 2022
Young Living Legend

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by moshino(m): 7:22pm On Sep 27, 2022
michael1508:

I feel you would have achieved more as a player if you were not converted to a dmf.

Have you achieved more in your own life.
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by vickydevoka(m): 7:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
chrisxxx:
He tried 43 years no be here.
Funny enough na my neighbor for Jos. Him nebr even reach 40. Even the one way senior am never reach 40. En go shock you. Psquare use 5 or more years senior Mikel.

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by udemzyudex(m): 7:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
kenzysmith:
Asamoah Gyan, mutari,badu,Suarez, and other super stars went back to their and played at least a season to give back to their league but our players no go ever come back how the league want take grow setting bad examples even yenkini who was Nigeria all time scorer and an afcon winner humble himself to play in the NpFL. no be your fault baba na okocha and them KANU wey dey feel too big to come play for our league na. Start am

Musa nko?
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by michael1508: 7:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
moshino:

Have you achieved more in your own life.
Are you daft or something worse,if you quote me again,may you die a miserable death.
You just jump on people's comment to look for who to bash.
If your peanut sized brain can't comprehend my eulogy to him,then I'm not sorry for you.
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Kajaard: 7:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
Candora:
He should've reduced his age so as to continue playing.

He already reduced his age by about 8 years. You really think he was born in 1987? grin

Lol, this babe has never heard of football age cheesy

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by TheOgaBoss: 7:38pm On Sep 27, 2022
TOPCRUISE:
How I remember the argument of funny soccer pundits those days.
"Mikel is better than Messi"
which pundit argue day one?
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by slimjoe87(m): 7:39pm On Sep 27, 2022
If only our Nigerian politicians would emulate Him! Retire and have peace ✌�
agadam:
BREAKING: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football After 20 Years Of Professional Career

Former Chelsea and Super Eagles Midfielder, John Mikel Obi has announced his retirement from football via his Instagram account on Tuesday, 27 September, 2022.

Mikel John Obi, born on 22 April 1987, is a Nigerian professional footballer who formally played as a defensive midfielder.

Mikel began his career with local club Plateau United, before joining Norwegian club Lyn at the age of 17 in 2004.

In 2006, he made a controversial transfer to English club Chelsea after Manchester United claimed they had already signed him.

He stayed with Chelsea for 11 years, before moving to China with Tianjin TEDA in 2017. After two years in China, he returned to England on a short-term deal with Middlesbrough, before joining Trabzonspor on a free transfer in July 2019.

Mikel moved back to England in August 2020 joining Stoke City. In a 14-year international career between 2005 and 2019, he played 91 times for Nigeria, scoring six goals.

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Reference(m): 7:47pm On Sep 27, 2022
Fryzi:
Mikel wasn't lucky with football. Happy retirement Sir.

Wasn't managed well like most African sportsmen and women.

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by jerrychidon: 7:49pm On Sep 27, 2022
aylive02:
He has better achievement than apc

grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Kpatakpata: 7:57pm On Sep 27, 2022
Congratulations John Obi Mickel. You have indeed had a very successful career. I wish you the very best in your future endeavour
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Sluacoast(m): 8:11pm On Sep 27, 2022
Congrats man. Good luck to the future
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by 2kurupt(m): 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2022
HolyPussy:
Mikel Obi spent 11 years at Chelsea and scored only ONE goal in the Premiership.

What a record.
2 actually. Football is a team sport and every player position mustn't score. For a DM nobody cares how many goals scored but how many clean sheets and points delivered.

Needless to say he excelled where it truly matters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Peero1: 8:30pm On Sep 27, 2022
agadam:

Mikel John Obi, born on 22 April 1987, � is a Nigerian professional footballer who formally played as a defensive midfielder.

Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Peero1: 8:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Pootle:

u no well i swear grin
walaitalai
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Mryacks: 8:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
chrisxxx:
He tried 43 years no be here.

I tell you...
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by godwon01(m): 8:34pm On Sep 27, 2022
Long overdue.
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by godwon01(m): 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2022
He actually saw everything in the game. Good career with a lot of trophy to show for it.
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by Burruchaga71(m): 9:08pm On Sep 27, 2022
Long overdue
Re: John Mikel Obi Retires From Football by highness25(m): 9:10pm On Sep 27, 2022
agadam:

People wey senior this one still de ball. Thiago Silver, Ronaldo, Zlatan etc. Sha, you fit senior them for real age

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Conor Mcgregor Set To Overtake Cristiano Ronaldo On Forbes Athlete Rich List / Boxer Chukwuemeka Igboanugo Slumps & Dies During National Sports Festival / Isreal Adesanyo Loses UFC259 Fight Against Jan Blachowicz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.