Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,503 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State (12663 Views)

Boko Haram Fuel Dump Discovered In Maiduguri (Photos) / Oil Discovered In Lagos / Oil Discovered In Sokoto State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by KnowAll(m): 1:03pm On Aug 15, 2011
Why the hating? Crude oil is a curse!!!

I[b] have already said it already, in the hands of Nigerian Managers it is more than curse, it is "epe"(generational curse), today is a day of mourning in Kwara[/b]
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by shawonlese: 1:05pm On Aug 15, 2011
Hope the farmer will become a billionaire from his oil rich farm.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by peanut123: 1:06pm On Aug 15, 2011
Mr. KnowAll is intoxicated by his ignorance. Let me tell you two things, when you say the cost of extracting oil in Bayelsa is negligible, then you must be smoking something cheap because extraction of oil goes through the normal process of OPLs, seismic studies and reservoir studies to determine if it's in commercial quantities, community relations, hiring a rig, well completions, hooking up to a flowline or a flowstation before you can make money from the oil. All these costs millions (not thousands) of dollars.
Also, even if there is oil in Kwara state, we dont know whether it's in commercial quantities so we have to find that out first if not you'll dump money and reap nothing.
Someone also said onshore drilling is a thing of the past in Nigeria because of Ogoni land, that's another untruth. Let's get our facts right before typing.  embarassed

By the way, I'm in the oil industry.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by KnowAll(m): 1:13pm On Aug 15, 2011
[size=18pt]This is the Governor's statment, not KnowAll. [/size]

"According to the governor, the ministry officials did not only confirm the substance as crude oil but identified the blend as Bonny Light, a high-grade of crude oil preferred by European and American refineries due to its unique properties, according to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Communications, Dr Muyideen Akorede.

Governor Ahmed said the find was subsequently verified through independent analysis by a private oil company which also confirmed the government’s findings.

He said further tests were being carried to determine if the crude discovered in Ara Orin was in commercial quantities, adding that the finding was a welcome boost to the state’s economy and its emerging reputation as one of Nigeria’s most conducive "
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Rhino5dm: 1:14pm On Aug 15, 2011
Bros! No be only you dey oil industry o o.

But what you said is absolute right, more even when you are considering deep water or offshore explorations the cost can double.

* when the quantity is comfirm to be of commercial, then i will rather operate from Kwara considering the amount most company spend on security in South south.

peanut123:

Mr. KnowAll is intoxicated by his ignorance. Let me tell you two things, when you say the cost of extracting oil in Bayelsa is negligible, then you must be smoking something cheap because extraction of oil goes through the normal process of OPLs, seismic studies and reservoir studies to determine if it's in commercial quantities, community relations, hiring a rig, well completions, hooking up to a flowline or a flowstation before you can make money from the oil. All these costs millions (not thousands) of dollars.
Also, even if there is oil in Kwara state, we dont know whether it's in commercial quantities so we have to find that out first if not you'll dump money and reap nothing.
Someone also said onshore drilling is a thing of the past in Nigeria because of Ogoni land, that's another untruth. Let's get our facts right before typing.  embarassed

Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by texazzpete(m): 1:15pm On Aug 15, 2011
The One:

@knowall

I asked that question because you wrote that oil recognition should be common place in Nigeria because we have plenty of it. I can assure you that not up to 20% of qualified geologists in Nigeria have seen crude oil before.

Anyway, that's deviating from the discussion here. My point is that you do not announce an oil discovery because a farmer saw somwthing seeping from the ground.

To give a background of my knowledge of this field, some of the most comprehensive studies on tar sands bitumen in Nigeria was done at my undergraduate department in Ife. I personally worked on it for my B.Sc thesis. I've therefater studied petroleum engineering at M.Sc level in the UK and have worked as a reservoir engineer for more than half a decade so I can say that I know what I'm talking about. If you go to Agbabu, Idiobilayo and Oloda in Ondo State, there have been oil seepages since time immemorial but that does not make them announce that they discovered oil. Have you asked the Kwara State government if they've drilled there to confirm that a reservoir exists and if it does, the commerciality? And no, there's nowhere in Nigeria where the oil is almost "scoopable". Ask the governor what depths the deposits are and the reservoir pressure? Can flow be assured? Whether the oil is light or heavy? What's the API gravity?

I don't want you to see the above as an attmpt to brag or whatever. My point is that government officials should not come out to display their ignorance under the guise that every other person is also ignorant. Do you think there'll be a discovery in Kwara State and the whole industry in Nigeria will not be quaking with excitement now?

I rarely post on the forum but I'll not sit back and watch misinformation flying around unchecked.
peanut123:

KnowAll is a known numbskull here on Nairaland. Attempting to discuss logically with him is like casting pearls before swine.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Beaf: 1:17pm On Aug 15, 2011
shawonlese:

Hope the farmer will become a billionaire from his oil rich farm.

In Nigeria? shocked No way!

Do you know that a major part of the ND struggle is about land rights? That poor farmers land now belongs to the FG with zero compensation, it will be so polluted that in all the villages nearby, there will be no drinking water or farmland and all the goats will die. People will begin to die of mysterious ailments which the lucky to be ignorant ones will blame on witchcraft, the size of babies will begin to shrink. . .

You know the drill.

Maybe the PIB just got more votes. GEJ should throw all oilfields open for production, thats the only way Nigerians will know the fundamental importance of the PIB. In other lands, we would all have been on the streets fighting for a bill that guarantees our future, instead the average person wants to be an onlooker, while wearing a collar around their necks thats tagged, "this object is the property of Shell to do with as they please." Of course, JTF will always be present to "persuade" any dissenters, cheered on by "fellow" ignorant Nigerians.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by shawonlese: 1:18pm On Aug 15, 2011
One of the problems we have is that those at NNPC do not have the vision to take the Company and oil industry to its rightful position. They are quite content with JV's and production sharing contract.

Below is the group of companies under Abu Dhabi National Oil Company of UAE. Same like our handicapped NNPC.

http://www.adnoc.ae/content.aspx?newid=247&mid=247

For those looking for job, you can try your luck. it just might shine.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Rhino5dm: 1:18pm On Aug 15, 2011
The governor can make any claim to further his political agenda, so independent professional like me should be employ to verify the varacity of such claim. As in the past so many people have made one claim or the other.

KnowAll:

[size=18pt]This is the Governor's statment, not KnowAll. [/size]

"According to the governor, the ministry officials did not only confirm the substance as crude oil but identified the blend as Bonny Light, a high-grade of crude oil preferred by European and American refineries due to its unique properties, according to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Communications, Dr Muyideen Akorede.

Governor Ahmed said the find was subsequently verified through independent analysis by a private oil company which also confirmed the government’s findings.

He said further tests were being carried to determine if the crude discovered in Ara Orin was in commercial quantities, adding that the finding was a welcome boost to the state’s economy and its emerging reputation as one of Nigeria’s most conducive "
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by oludashmi(f): 1:19pm On Aug 15, 2011
Desola:

When did abokis become your brothers? Isn't Kwara in the North?

Abi you wan start doing longer throat for other peoples property?

You disappointed me with this statement sad. Dont you know a geo-graphical location has nothing to do with ethnicity? Kwara is geographically in the north but not ethnically. Kogi is in the north but it is made up of Yorubas, Igalas, Ebira, etc Delta is in the SS but the ibos in there know themselves and they will rather do with ibos in the SE.

Beaf:

Kwara is mainly Yoruba. Ilorin has Fulani rulers (who bear Yoruba names), but thats it.

@topic
We can now expect an almighty bruhaha for Kwara to be split into two or more states. Where there is oil, there is sorriow.

Even beaf knows better. KnowAll too has said enough to you.

@topic
Good one but not the best cos we see what our leaders do to such communities. They have made oil become a curse.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by TheOne2(m): 1:23pm On Aug 15, 2011
The governor is an ignorant fool. Do they understand how crude oil bourses are designated? How can they say the oil is Bonny light. For your information Bonny light is a blend of oil the oil flowing into the Bonny terminal. It's worked to achieve some specific properties. Same way we have Escravos blend, Forcados blend etc.

I'm outta here jare, I didn't know what I was getting myself into by joining this thread.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Kx: 1:25pm On Aug 15, 2011
Ara light!
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Rhino5dm: 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2011
bros! There are parameters you use in comparing the type of crude discovered with the existing ones. . .sulphur contents,impurities,water ratio,density,gas driven or water driven, . . And what have you.

So by saying Bonny light is just a way of comminucating to the expert about the QUALITY of the crude oil discovered. So take chill pill or better still pick elementary chemistry to reefresh you brain.

The One:

The governor is an ignorant fool. Do they understand how crude oil bourses are designated? How can they say the oil is Bonny light. For your information Bonny light is a blend of oil the oil flowing into the Bonny terminal. It's worked to achieve some specific properties. Same way we have Escravos blend, Forcados blend etc.

I'm outta here jare, I didn't know what I was getting myself into by joining this thread.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by TheOne2(m): 1:43pm On Aug 15, 2011
You're the one who should relax. I thought about it from your angle and scrutinized the statement, but they're not the same If the governor had said that the oil is "like" Bonny light, then you'll have a point. I know you know some things abt oil but don't push your luck. What has a reservoir being water-driven or gas-driven got to do with the blend? I know you have google and can look up something to explain your putting that up there but I'm sorry, that part is a load of nonsense. You made sense when you mentioned sulphur content, impurities and density but that's where it ended.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Mallow: 1:44pm On Aug 15, 2011
This is good news to kwara people.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by formebyme: 1:46pm On Aug 15, 2011
@Rhino and @the one

The battle of wills;May the smartest win!
**grabs popcorn** grin
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by lonelydude: 1:57pm On Aug 15, 2011
peanut123:

Mr. KnowAll is intoxicated by his ignorance. Let me tell you two things, when you say the cost of extracting oil in Bayelsa is negligible, then you must be smoking something cheap because[b] extraction of oil goes through the normal process of OPLs, seismic studies and reservoir studies to determine if it's in commercial quantities, community relations, hiring a rig, well completions, hooking up to a flowline or a flowstation before you can make money from the oil. All these costs millions (not thousands) of dollars.
[/b]

Point!!!

If the discovery is not in commercial quantities, then forget it for now.

Onshore is NOT a thing of the past because most of the marginal operators are operating on land. Shell sold most of their onshore fields recently to some of these marginal operators.

There was also a claim of this nature in Gombe sometime years back but I'm yet to hear that any operators have moved there. Ever wondered why? probably because of its economic viablility.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by sylve11: 2:02pm On Aug 15, 2011
ha ha HA! lets watch and see grin cool
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by KnowAll(m): 2:06pm On Aug 15, 2011
I asked that question because you wrote that oil recognition should be common place in Nigeria because we have plenty of it. I can assure you that not up to 20% of qualified geologists in Nigeria have seen crude oil before.

This is a fallacious statement and a slap on every Geologist, Geophysicist and Petroleum Engineers that trained in Nigeria. Could someone please put this man to shame and out of his misery just because he went to “Oyinbo University, he don sabi pass everybody be dat he wan dey form”
Since I did not do any of those courses I cannot carry your crosses for you. But I would however be very surprise that a Petroleum Engineer or Petrol-Chemical Engineer from any of the ‘FUTA’ has never seen oil b4 graduating.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by ibrokay(m): 2:22pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ The one.
Why are you displaying your ignorance on this forum.Have you ever worked in an oilfield before? Why dont you keep quite and allow the intellects to contribute.
I am a geologist and i have worked in different countries. We have qualified geologists in Nigeria and the difference between tar sand and Crude oil is clear.
If you go to an area in Uganda(where i worked),you will see crude oil oozing out(not bitumen or tar sand).
Crude is very easy to test.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by emRemiLek(m): 2:23pm On Aug 15, 2011
KnowAll:

This is a fallacious statement and a slap on every Geologist, Geophysicist and Petroleum Engineers that trained in Nigeria. Could someone please put this man to shame and out of his misery just because he went to “Oyinbo University, he don sabi pass everybody be dat he wan dey form”
Since I did not do any of those courses I cannot carry your crosses for you. But I would however be very surprise that a Petroleum Engineer or Petrol-Chemical Engineer from any of the ‘FUTA’ has never seen oil b4 graduating.

@KnowAll, i think you need to take a chill pill. I studied Geology also (and not in any Oyinbo University), and believe me when i tell that 95% of my class never saw crude oil b4 graduating. those that were opportuned to was as a result of their industrial training with oil companies. Majority of our field trips was majorly centred around Rocks/Outcrops and bitumen deposits. So stop typing rubbish here.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by ibrokay(m): 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ The one
I am not a regular contributor on this forum but i monitor some of the threads. When it comes to the oil sector, Nigeria can boast of experts and professionals(Nigeria trained) in every field and we are highly respected throughout the world.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by KnowAll(m): 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2011
KnowAll, i think you need to take a chill pill. I studied Geology also (and not in any Oyinbo University), and believe me when i tell that 95% of my class never saw crude oil b4 graduating. those that were opportuned to was as a result of their industrial training with oil companies. Majority of our field trips was majorly centred around Rocks/Outcrops and bitumen deposits. So stop typing rubbish here.

That maybe you Geologist because Geology is the study of rock formation which to some extent is farther from the topic at hand although related, but Petroleum Engineers, Petrol Chemical Engineers, and to some extent Geophysicist that would be insane. It is like a Medical student never seen a human remains whether in form of Caracas or a Mannequin. undecided
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by ibrokay(m): 2:35pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ remi
You must be a very bad student when you were in school.If you asked your lecturers for samples of crude oil they would have shown,it not a big deal.I had my BSc in Unilorin and the first time i saw Crude oil,gold and some other minerals was my 300Level. Its not a big deal.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by KnowAll(m): 2:40pm On Aug 15, 2011
You must be a very bad student when you were in school.If you asked your lecturers for samples of crude oil they would have shown,it not a big deal.I had my BSc in Unilorin and the first time i saw Crude oil,gold and some other minerals was my 300Level. Its not a big deal

Thank you o jare!!
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by TheOne2(m): 2:52pm On Aug 15, 2011
All of you need to stop blowing hot air abeg! There's absolutely nothing shameful about a geologist not seeing crude oil before. Note that I have not said petroleum engineer. I just asked my geologist colleagues here now and most have not seen crude before. Reason? Their work absolutely does not require them coming in contact with crude. So that you may know, if a company employs 10 geologists, only about two of them will do field work. Most of them become development geologists in the office, earth modellers, seismic interpreters and formation evaluation specialists. So geologists here do not have to come up in arms here for that even when some of them drill water boreholes or work as tellers in banks.

Oga Knowall, abeg which one is "petrol chemical" engineer?

Oga ibrokay, are you a mud logger? If not, wetin you dey find near crude oil? You might as well be a wireline logger or do MWD/LWD but most people that do those are engineering graduates. I never said Nigeria does not have oil industry professionals, I am one myself!! That doesn't mean that anybody that picks up beer parlour oil industry talk is a professional because if you critique what a lot of people are saying here, you can see they got them from the beer parlour.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by okadaman2: 2:53pm On Aug 15, 2011
Beaf:

In Nigeria? shocked No way!

Do you know that a major part of the ND struggle is about land rights? That poor farmers land now belongs to the FG with zero compensation, it will be so polluted that in all the villages nearby, there will be no drinking water or farmland and all the goats will die. People will begin to die of mysterious ailments which the lucky to be ignorant ones will blame on witchcraft, the size of babies will begin to shrink. . .

You know the drill.

Maybe the PIB just got more votes. GEJ should throw all oilfields open for production, thats the only way Nigerians will know the fundamental importance of the PIB. In other lands, we would all have been on the streets fighting for a bill that guarantees our future, instead the average person wants to be an onlooker, while wearing a collar around their necks thats tagged, "this object is the property of Shell to do with as they please." Of course, JTF will always be present to "persuade" any dissenters, cheered on by "fellow" ignorant Nigerians.

This dude is normally a Clown but he's very correct here.  embarassed

The PIB bill, Federalism, Land act, and other related fundamental issues should be the main topics on any Nigerian mouth if we want to secure any decent future for ourselves and our children.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by islamrules(m): 3:00pm On Aug 15, 2011
Finally,crude oil has been discovered in the North.More will still be discovered but the only gain is that it balances the equation of North being a parasite insinuated by some Nigerians despite the huge contribution in the agricultural sector.

Ara-Orin, does it sound Hausa or Fulani to you ? There can never be oil in the North, you have blood there. Kill infidels and use their blood for fuel. A dotard.

Ara-Orin is core Yoruba town not even close to Ilorin where we have fulanis. It is close to Oyo Alafin. You people cant bring your madness to Oyo. Death shall await you there.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by daphil: 3:02pm On Aug 15, 2011
@ Em. Remilek, I can understand your ignorance and I won't blame you for it. You must have graduated from a mushroom university. Next time do not generalise your ignorance. Your statement might be true of the school you graduated from but not about every university in Nigeria. I read applied geology from futa.  Sensuo stricto, I'm proud of the training I received and I can defend it anywhere, anytime and anyday. grin

@ The One, your statement shows that you are suffering from inferiority complex.  embarassed
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by ziga: 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2011
So much arrogance on this thread mehn!!!

There are posters that i do not agree with most of the time, but sometimes they definitely make very correct statements. We should not let our prejudice affect logical thinking.

From what Mr. knowall has written. His assumptions are based on the news article, which clearly states that experts have confirmed that the discovery is crude oil. However, they do not know yet if it is in commercial quantities.

So, if you have not been on the scene where it was discovered, and you were not the one who ran the tests, how can you logically disprove the discovery. And if you can disprove the discovery, or you have doubts, express your doubts with sense. And saying that Nigerians do not have experts with the capacity to identify crude oil is outrageous!!!

Naija and all our ITK people sha!!! Too many cooks. No wonder we are No 1 in the world.
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by islamrules(m): 3:39pm On Aug 15, 2011
So much arrogance on this thread mehn!!!

There are posters that i do not agree with most of the time, but sometimes they definitely make very correct statements. We should not let our prejudice affect logical thinking.

From what Mr. knowall has written. His assumptions are based on the news article, which clearly states that experts have confirmed that the discovery is crude oil. However, they do not know yet if it is in commercial quantities.

So, if you have not been on the scene where it was discovered, and you were not the one who ran the tests, how can you logically disprove the discovery. And if you can disprove the discovery, or you have doubts, express your doubts with sense. And saying that Nigerians do not have experts with the capacity to identify crude oil is outrageous!!!

Naija and all our ITK people sha!!! Too many cooks. No wonder we are No 1 in the world.

Commercial or no commercial, it is there! That is how it starts. Crude oil was discovered in a Ghanian Village in small quantity, but now can you see what is going on Ghana now. Whether we like it or not, Ghana is one of oil producing company.

Yes, If it is in small quantity, then it is a pointer that there are still more somewhere close.

Israel will become one of the largest exporter of Gas in the next 5 years, they discovered it in small quantity in a shelve close to red sea. Now they have discovered it in Large quantity that can serve three countries as Large as USA for the next 40 years, making them and Lebanon one of the largest gas producers (apart from Iran, Russia and Canada) in the world.

It means government should step up research in that area, they are close to discovering more.

Go and read any literature on Oil Exploration, you will know what I am saying
Re: Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State by Syenite(m): 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2011
GEOLOGISTS PLEASE LET'S DISCUSS THIS TOPIC.
Firstly where is Ara Orin geologically? Does it fall within the South Western basement complex (Ibadan Unit) or within the Nupe Basin?  If it falls withing the former case closed no oil can be found there but if the later it is not impossible for oil to be discovered.The Nupe Basin is an interior sedimentary basin in which sedimentation started even before it started in the Niger Delta, hence it has older formations eg the Cretaceos, Paleocene, Eocone and Oligocene.However relatively young formations like the miocene(which houses the oil in the Niger Delta),pliocene and pleistocene are absent.

Question is - comparing the geology of the Niger Delta and Nupe Basin are they similar? Is there good source rock in the Nupe basin?If source rock is present what are the Kerogene type(s) responsible for the generation of the oil. Does the Bida Sandstone (conglomeratic), which I know would likely form the reservoir rock, have the desired or required reservoir properties? Are there structural or stratigraphic trapping mechanisms? If they are present, are the faults sealing? These are some of the regional geological questions that must be asked.

It is not impossible for the farmer to have seen Oil seeping from his farm because the Bida Sandstone which will likely house the oil is exposed at several road cuttings notably along the Abuja-Lokoja road. Post-depositional tectonic activities in the basin have led to the dipping of this sandstone and with younger formations being eroded the Sandstone is exposed at the surface making it possible for oil(if present) to seep-out at certain locations. Besides this oil seepage can even be Bitumen which is heavy oil.

It is unprofessional for any geologist to jump into a speedy conclusion about the discovery of oil. I would recommend to the state government that a full scale 3D Seismic Survey be carried out first and then interpretation, reservoir engineering studies and then drilling be carried before we can ascertain whether we have oil and in what quantity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tambuwal Reloctes Family From Kaduna!!! / 2019: FG Orders IDP's Back To Unsafe Region Because Of Election - Reuters / PDP Vs APC: What Turaki Told Fayose In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.