Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,999 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty (25202 Views)

Threads: See Elon Musk's Reply on Twitter's attempt to sue Meta / Facebook Changes Its Name To Meta In Major Rebrand / Samsung Sues Ksenia Sobchak, Ambassador For Using An Iphone X On TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by HonNL: 11:50am On Oct 04, 2022
The Advertising Regulatory Council of Nigeria says it has lodged a suit against Meta Platforms Incorporated (owners of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp platforms) and its agent AT3 Resources Limited at the Federal High Court, Abuja Judicial Division.

According to a statement on Tuesday by the apex regulatory body for Nigeria’s advertising ecosystem, ARCON is seeking a declaration among others that the continued publication and exposure of various advertisements directed at the Nigerian market through Facebook and Instagram platforms by Meta Platforms Incorporated without ensuring the same is vetted and approved before exposure is illegal, unlawful and a violation of the extant advertising Law in Nigeria.

ARCON stated that Meta Platforms Incorporated’s continued exposure of unvetted adverts had also led to loss of revenue to the Federal Government.

ARCON is seeking N30bn in sanction for the violation of the advertising laws and for loss of revenue as a result of Meta Incorporated’s continued exposure of unapproved adverts on it’s platforms.

The statement read in part, “ARCON reiterates that it would not permit unethical and irresponsible advertising on the Nigeria’s advertising space.”

According to ARCON, the Council is not regulating the online media space. Rather, it’s focus is on advertising and marketing communications on the online platforms in line with its establishment Act.

[url=https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/breaking-fg-sues-meta-seeks-30bn-penalty/%3famp]SOURCE [/url]

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Beckham14: 11:54am On Oct 04, 2022
First it was Twitter, now they're planning to sue Meta Platforms Incorporated (Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram)

Nothing concern aboki with social media.

127 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by GardenOfGod(m): 11:59am On Oct 04, 2022
Laughable...
ARCON stated that Meta Platforms Incorporated’s continued exposure of unvetted adverts had also led to loss of revenue to the Federal Government.
Revenue that will be looted by our evil and corrupt politicians. Nonsense!

OBI-DATTI is the answer.
Vote wisely

169 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by AdamuKD: 12:00pm On Oct 04, 2022
Nonsense APC and useless Tilumbu

83 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by BATified2023: 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
Some people just want to wail at any given opportunity,they will never bother to read the content of any report but their programmed mind will b about how to hate for no reason

Tell them not to drink poison n they will tell u that u are stoping them from seeing their maker

I remember a time when uzodinma ban d sales of alcohol at garages to avoid drivers getting high n causing accident,these hopeless wailers even wailed to high heaven when it was obvious he was trying to help them

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Sergio103(m): 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
So after looting themselves out.......they are now indirectly begging Zuckerberg??

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by emetisuccess(m): 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
We no dey fall hands at all. My country, my country Nigeria, I hail Dee.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by TRADELYN: 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
Interesting shocked
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Juwon933: 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
lipsrsealed

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by BATified2023: 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
Beckham14:
First it was Twitter, now they're planning to sue Meta Platforms Incorporated (Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram)

Nothing concern aboki with social media.
u people will always display your ignorance everywhere u are found,people like u are best described as ignorantly aggressive

You are programmed to blame the government even when they are doing d right thing

Read n read again so u can have a better understanding of what the report is about

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
psheww

We want to sue the fulanis for their crimes against yorubaland..

And we expect the return of ilorin and lokoja and reparations close to 3 trillion pounds to the Niger Delta region.

14 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Authority1o1(m): 12:06pm On Oct 04, 2022
Okay...

To add, Meta seriously needs to review its privacy and advertising policy. I'd not prejudice the FG on the precedent of their Twitter ban because truly, these American companies exhibit their authoritarian control of people's information by incorporating their devices and sites with technologies that steal your information in the background while letting you believe you're in control by fronting their phony 'privacy control' action.

The adverts that you see pop up on your phone or when using the internet are suggested by your usage history and preference.

For instance, even though I am keen about politics, I almost threw up when an ad brought up the face of Tinubu with a 'vote for the right man' tag on it. I lost appetite for the evening meal before me while being thankful that no child was looking at my screen.

I can't handle convulsions.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by seunny4lif(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2022
Lost of revenue to FG? Like how? shocked shocked shocked
Because election is near or what?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Raymysterio(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2022
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Evergreen4(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2022
Buhari want to cash out through Facebook

1 Like

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by pascal558(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2022
Facebook deserves to be sued for blocking our accounts and exposing Asian girls unclothedness to us as every group header.

4 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by LeoThaGreat(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2022
I think Twitter is more guilty

2 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by EzegeNdiigbo: 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2022
FG wan Cash out grin grin
China is on they neck

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Emary(f): 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2022
Pure rubbish! APC has forgotten its avid use of social media during the previous elections.

3 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by ngBuild: 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2022
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Channel5: 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2022
APC, Una never dey serious.

Una wan use all this extortions from this giant companies pay off china? Is that it??

Next is TikTok.
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Ventura1: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
Okay
Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by kingthreat(m): 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
Mark, this your money, no be only you go chop am clean mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by gloryman91: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
Instead of taxing this man and MTN na we poor civil servants you go dey put tax on.

Only to see deduction in my last two salaries.

2 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by CalabarPikin: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
Wahala

Don't be surprised if you they still shamelessly post this on Facebook

If the ruling party wins next year, we may likely not have social media in Nigeria again

2 Likes

Re: Facebook: Nigeria Sues Meta, Seeks ₦30 Billion Penalty by Beverlyjean(f): 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2022
Loss of embezzlement rather

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tecno L7 / Galaxy S9 Price, Release Date And Specs: Samsung Confirms Mwc Launch For S9, S9+ / What’s So Special About This Infinix Hot 4?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.